Thread: Stanley Kubrick's FULL METAL JACKET

Threaded View

I agree

Oh, you want "unforgettable"?

-The seduction of Lady Lyndon. How perfect is that scene? The music is Schubert: "Piano Trio in E Flat", and the camera tracks Redmond slowly until he meets his lady on the edge of the balcony. Scorsese says this is his favorite scene in the film, and he used it in his "Journey Through American Movies" series to illustrate Kubrick as an iconoclast.

-The trailer for The Shining. Just one static shot of the elevator. An incredibly eerie bit of music plays until the credits scroll upwards! Then you see the gallons of blood pour out of the elevator. Hoo-ha! what a killer trailer.

-Jocelyn Pook. Her score for the orgy scenes in EWS is unmatched. Scorsese took note- he commissioned her to do a piece for Gangs of New York. (A deadly piece, btw) I am in another world during those indescribable scenes. I am just in awe as Cruise's character...Leon Vitali (Kubrick's asssistant) was the Red Cloak who told Tom to "remove your mask".

-"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when".

-La La La La La La (Lolita theme)

-Again, Surfin' Bird in Full Metal Jacket! Awesome use of the song. Hell, even Wooly Bully is used incredibly...

and I'm with you 1000% on Clockwork and 2001. 2001 is the ultimate example of music use in film. The starchild scene? Forget about it! You feel magnificent watching that fucking scene!
    Last edited by Johann; 01-07-2004 at 12:28 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd