Thread: 13 HOURS: THE SECRET SOLDIERS OF BENGHAZI (Michael Bay 2016)

13 HOURS: THE SECRET SOLDIERS OF BENGHAZI (Michael Bay 2016)

Michael Bay: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016)

PABLO SCHREIBER, JOHN KRASINSKI, AND DAVID DENMAN IN 13 HOURS

"Are we expecting any friendlies?"

This film may be pointless, or have too overt a message. Or, coming from the author of the technically elaborate but idiotic "Transformers" franchise, Michael Bay, it might somehow be both. The subject is recent: the siege by Ansar al-Sharia militants of the Benghazi compound in which US ambassador Christopher Stevens (Matt Letscher) tragically lost his life, dying of smoke inhalation, and the struggle of US military, hired support, and CIA to stave off repeated waves of invading rebel Libyan terrorists and save what's left of the outpost and the remaining staff stranded there. The film account unreels, according to frequent datelines, for the eponymous 13 hours, running from the eleventh (the anniversary of 9/11) to the twelfth of September 2012. Bay covers the fighting well, in a purely technical sense. He is good at action -- its loudness, its chaos, its random complexity. But he's bad at everything else -- other than the usual human interest clichés about soldiers chatting with their wives and kids and longing to be back home, and bravely taking on a thankless battle when their effete superiors have repeatedly dropped the ball.

This is an endorsement of he-men -- and maybe an indictment of the Obama administration and Hilary Clinton's presidential bid. They have been impugned for setting up the Ambassador to be under-protected at Benghazi, and some will never believe the claim that this has not been proven. The assumption that his film is a gibe at Obama and Clinton is supported by the way it's getting promotion by Republicans as a weapon in the presidential campaign (see Time). Maybe it's more accurate to say the big villains of Bay's movie aren't politicians at all, but egghead intellectuals from Ivy League schools "who get in the way of beefy dudes with big guns" as Zack Beauchamp of Vox wrote. Anyway, in Bay's film a lot of the time we barely know what we are watching. Which may be realistic -- but isn't artistic, or anything one can follow.

Indeed, we watch feeling that not only was the post under-protected, but the force that was there was underused, and fatally held back. And the picture is accurate, as shown by the damage and loss suffered in fact. You need not be an opponent of the Obama administration to believe Ambassador Stevens and his staff at Benghazi (not the US embassy, note, which was in Tripoli) had been put in harm's way with woefully poor protection.

The film begins with the arrival in Benghazi of new GRS's --Global Response Staff, security contractors on the ground working for the CIA. Their CIA superior is condescending to these tough every-men, telling them they are mere hirelings. "We hired the brightest minds from Harvard and Yale to do their work," he says."The best thing you can do is stay out of their way." They're bearded and macho -- but don't expect the lines to be clearly drawn on that score, because all the guys have beards, including the CIA chief, and the only people who can be clearly distinguished from them are the ambassador, who is clean-shaven, and the one woman, Sona Jilani (Alexia Barlier), Sona tries desperately to bypass the CIA bosses and get help in the form of a US plane flyover that would scare off the terrorist attackers, but to no avail.

There are six GRS's, Kris "Tanto" Paronto (Pablo Schreiber), John "Tig" Tiegen (Dominic Fumusa), Mark "Oz" Geist, Ty "Rone" Woods, who perishes in the battle (James Badge Dale), "Jack Silva" (not his real name; played by John Krasinski), and Dave "Boon" Benton (David Denman). These men, in real life, have stated their displeasure at the inaccuracies of a Congressional report about the event. They have endorsed the book by Mitchell Zuckoff adapted by Chuck Hogan for this film.

After we get to know the GRS's a bit, we get a look at the Ambassador. Stevens has recently arrived, and is represented as a well-meaning and naive fellow. His first public appearance is a security disaster, according to the GRS's, because a crowd of unknown people seeps in. There are scenes reveling in the humanness of the GRS's. One has a meltdown when he learns due to a slip from another kid in the back of a car that his wiife is pregnant. He doesn't know how they can afford the children they have. Another is reading Joseph Campbell's The Power Within. This film isn't very good on the cultural authenticity. Once again the key Arab character, a non-combat interpreter elected to join the fighting inexplicably called Amahl (as in the Gian Carlo Menotti opera), is played by a non-Arab, New York-born, Iranian-descended Peyman Moaadi. The film was shot in Morocco and on a large set constructed in Ta' Qali, Malta.

The surviving GRS's have gone on record saying that CIA Chief of Station and CIA Chief of Base "Bob" (David Costabile) "did not assist us." As simple as that. And we see the movie's "Bob" repeatedly telling the men to "stand down" when they desperately need to fight. (A Time magazine article says this is not supported by the facts; so does "Bob" himself, according to a Guardian story.) Inexplicably, numbingly, as we see one wave after another of mysterious men in cars, a bus, even amid sheep, approach the Ambassador's compound, the men say, "Are we expecting any friendlies?" and the aliens -- "tangos," they call them, their code for terrorists -- come close enough to launch rockets before our boys can fight back. If they had shot at the bus the minute it appeared they would have set off its load of ordinance at a distance, saving buildings and men that were lost.

Sometimes the action seems like Fast and Furious 8: North African Combat. There are some hair-raising and wild car sequences. Rarely has it been made so clear how Americans in Middle East wars don't know who's on their side. A group of "friendlies" who wander in join them and an American fighter says, "Just don't shoot us in the back." You realize they very well might. You wander why 30 "tangos" are allowed to come so close to the three compound buildings before the men on the rooftops shoot at them.

This is another grimly fatalistic and pessimistic picture of modern warfare. Justin Chang of Variety argues in his review, like some others, that Bay, being "Hollywood's most aggressively pro-military director," is just reveling in "a harrowing minute-by-minute procedural" of the battle, rather than taking any side, and thus delivers "an experiential tour de force but a contextual blur, a shrewdly dumb movie" that will appeal to the American Sniper and Lone Survivor audience but not enlighten anyone who wants a thinking war film. It takes on a subject very much like Black Hawk Down -- a name referred to by one of the unsung "secret" GRS heroes -- and runs with it, chewing up its high-powered battle material and spitting it out in vivid action images unleavened by any larger understanding or emotional truth.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, 144 mins., premiere 12 Jan. 2016.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-18-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Full Metal Jacket had a scene where Cowboy tells Animal Mother to stand down when he clearly feels the need to fight...

Ernest Dickerson was 100% correct: Full Metal Jacket was predicting future wars, future close-quarter urban combat, just like Benghazi.
    The soldiers in Full Metal Jacket wore masks to survive- do the troops in 13 Hours do the same?
    Michael Bay's name inspires groans. What's interesting to me is the CIA angle.
    That is more interesting to me than the actual battle.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The depiction of the effete, snobbish, clueless CIA chief is exaggerated -- all emphasis is on the GRS guys' POV. They felt he was contemptuous and unhelpful. Masks are used in the scenes involving the ambassador. Kubrick and Catch 22 and other literature tell a lot about warfare then and now.

I thought of the German film Die Brücke, The Bridge. That depicts a terrible final battle to defend a small outpost but this is one of the greatest war films because the first half introduces us to each of the kids in the platoon one by one in detail, their family lives and backgrounds, so they are three dimensional and human. The film winds up being a devastating and clear depiction not just of one little fight but of the Germans losing the War. Bay and the GRS's are myopic. They don't see a bigger picture, don't know what the bigger picture is. Losing an ambassador is tragic -- it has rarely happened -- but if that's all this is about, it's not enough.

Die Brucke is a Criterion DVD release, and it's definitely a cut above most war films, an essential movie to watch.

As a former Infantry soldier I can say with certainty that troops never know the "big picture"- ground troops only know what is necessary, not a smidge more. You are trusting at all times that your superiors are on top of the big picture and that you are deployed out of "necessity". You never question it, or you are facing "Derelection of Duty", "Conduct prejudiced to good order and discipline". The CIA has undermined a lot in American history, haven't they?
    President JFK wanted to shut 'em down.

I should probably have or at least watch that Criterion disc of Die Brucke. For me, it was a shattering, uniquely powerful experience. Words cannot describe how deeply it moved me. I saw it with two friends and I remember walking around New York seemingly for hours in stunned silence after we left the theater.

Didn't JFK also want to use the CIA in the invasion of Cuba? Nobody can shut these things down. But you sure are right: it has done a lot of harm to the US and the world.

I was in the Army myself. I know you don't know anything as a low level grunt. But it is the artist's task to say something important, not just describe one operation, no matter if it's only from the grunt's POV.

No- My understanding is that the CIA at the bay of Pigs made Kennedy look like a fool on the world's stage, and that he was so mad he wanted to shut the whole agency down.

Very true about an artists' responsibility. Oliver Stone's Platoon got it right until that sappy ending: "To teach to others what we know..." Believe it or not, I used to love Oliver Stone up until about a year ago. I watched the DVD of Salvador and learned from James Woods that the cast almost had to fight for their pay, and when they got it, it was some guy with a Halliburton briefcase!!

WTF is that about Oliver? Are you an employee of the CIA? I fuckin' wonder...

Oliver Stone is working on a movie about Edward Snowden at the moment, and if Oliver is (or was) some kind of government propaganda man, then his movie will just put a sheen on things, not shake anything up.
    On Henry Rollins' show on IFC years ago Oliver stated that the U.S. Congress is a "husk", and he was right.
    I posted on his Facebook page about him doing a film on the U.S. Congress (a documentary even!) and calling it HUSK.
    No response.
    But when I posted that his Alexander was his most interesting film he "liked it" personally!

I don't know what Oliver stands for anymore, to be honest. I thought I knew. He may have some skeletons in his closet that no one is talking about. (Or even knows about).

There's a difference between Hallliburton and the CIA, no? Stone has done some dubious things. He seems uneven, indeed pursues controversy for its own sake. I hope Joe Gordon-Levitt isn't going to play one historical character after another as DiCaprio did for a while (Philippe Petit, now Snowdon) --he has had such an interesting career. I loved him in Manic, Mysterious Skin, Brick, Latter Days, The Lookout, (500) Days of Summer, a couple of military movies, Looper, Lincoln, two Chris Nolan films and Premium Rush, about a bike messenger. I liked a lot of these movies and roles. I also like that he moved to NYC (like Bowie) and went to Columbia University, learned to speak French quite well.... not your average dumb Hollywood actor. Such interesting choices. Actually I liked The Walk (premiered at the NYFF this year), a logical choice for him; maybe there is a logic behind Edward Snowdon. Certainly a provocative topic. The trouble is that there has been a great doc on Snowdon, Laura Poitras's Citizenfour: it won the Oscar for Best Documentary. What is there to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    There's a difference between Hallliburton and the CIA, no?
    Not to me there isn't. Dick Cheney is Halliburton, and his best friend's father (a former President) still gets CIA briefings every morning. (The only Ex-President who does that I heard). All these corrupt clowns know each other and know who's shaking who's hand. As Genius Alan Moore said: "Yes, there's an illuminati conspiracy- many of them, and they're tripping each other up" (paraphrase)

Joseph-Gordon Levitt is smart, he's a pretty good actor, but I wonder where his real loyalties lie. I wonder what his endgame is.
    Is it to show us that you're really clever Joe? Or is it something else?

I just learned "Endgame" is the name of the production company for Oliver Stone's Snowden!
    How about that!
    And it seems to be run by a colleague of Joseph's from Columbia University...
    I love it.
    My radar is good.

$50 million budget for Snowden?
    Why don't you just give the money to Edward, guys?
    I THINK HE FUCKING EARNED IT. Turning his story into a Hollywood product doesn't do him any good, does it?
    Last edited by Johann; 01-19-2016 at 10:10 AM.

I kind of agree with you on a lot of conversions of key recent events into feature films (vs. documentaries). Why does Joe have to have an "endgame"? He goes where the interesting roles are, but there is nothing ideologically pure about him.

Exploring the relationships among Dick Cheney, the Bush family, the Pentagon, the CIA, and Halliburton would be major way of exploring US government corruption in recent decades and understanding US involvement in the Middle East.

Absolutely. People can start with "WHY WE FIGHT". America sees itself as the new rome, and a former CIA-man told us that in the doc: "That's the way it should be, that's the way it Oughta be, and on September 11th they begin to implement it". How come no one remembers this crucial bit of info? Because Gore Vidal nailed it: "We live in the United States of Amnesia. We don't remember anything on Monday morning. It's all a blank."

Joe has to have an endgame in the same way the Queen of England has an endgame. He leaped at fame, he wears that shirt like a glove. It's painfully obvious to me. The "elites" need good soldiers...

"Let's try to remember that the CIA's job is to go out and start wars"- Jesse Ventura

The AWESOME, Kick-Ass, take-no-prisoners, former Frogman par excellence, JESSE VENTURA.
    I would take a bullet for you, Jesse.
    No joke.