Thread: STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (F. Gary Gray 2015)

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (F. Gary Gray 2015)

F. Gary Gray: Straight Outta Compton (2015)

ALDIS HODLGE, NEIL BROWN JR., COREY HAWKINS, JASON MITCHELL, AND O'SHEA JACKSON JR.

Actors' emotions are pure; movie's commercial motives, not

This music group biopic has standard features, the humble beginnings, the rapid rise, the artistic and business conflicts, the family tragedies, the manager who's a staunch supporter and arch betrayer. But this is rap, a seminal group: N.W.A. There's no getting round the provocative name these initials stand for: "Niggaz Wit Attitudes," or the title of one of their anthems, and the song that got them a warning from the FBI and arrested in Detroit: "Fuck the Police." They had reason to express this idea. One of the memorable scenes has them surrounded and violently thrown to the ground by cops for nothing more than standing outside their recording studio. They took the worst kind of unjustified police abuse, both before and after their fame.

Fast rhymes and deejay hip hop rose to cultural significance in the Eighties, when they were the fiery, corrosive, provocative expression of the L.A. ghetto, "Straight Outta Compton," title of N.W.A.'s first album. Compton is a turbulent black neighborhood south of central Los Angeles. But "straight" also implies telling it straight in blunt, revolutionary rhymes that express the rising anger of urban youth. Whether this movie gets its musical history straight is another question.

Some of the figures we encounter in their youth and follow through to fame are now practically household names: Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop Dog. Current timing for the release seems painfully appropriate, after Ferguson, when every white liberal has become aware that the police kill black male teenagers on virtually a daily basis, in America, right now, and presidential candidates' campaign speeches get interrupted by members of the Black Lives Matter movement. We live consciously in the aftermath not just of the Rodney King beating and subsequent riots of the early Nineties that happens in the time-frame of this movie, but of Ferguson, Baltimore, and all the explosions of anger. A timely "Fuck the Police" line: "police think/They have the authority to kill a minority."

F. Gary Gray, the director, is a black man from New York. He's known for The Italian Job (2003), Law Abiding Citizen (2009) and The Negotiator (1998), but he has also directed documentaries and video collections about hip hop and rap artists. He may be from New York, but he should know whereof he speaks. He directed Paul Giamatti, who plays Jerry Heller, the manager, here, in The Negotiator.

The first few scenes, in their violence, profanity, and their jittery, unclear camerawork, made me want to run from the room. But I stayed, and, while I was alienated by the lyrics (when I could make them out), and my jaw dropped at some of the scenes of high-paid-rapper debauchery, I was moved by the intensity of emotion delivered by the main actors. Particularly impressive: O'Shea Jackson Jr.(Ice Cube's son) as Ice Cube, Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre (Andre Young) and the heartbreaking Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E (Eric Edwards).

With N.W.A, we're at the source of two subgenres. The group was one of the first and foremost exponents of gangsta rap and West Coast hip hop and is among hip hop's founding fathers. But they can't be celebrated just as profane spokesmen for citizens' rights, the First Amendment, and the rejection of police oppression. Gangsta rap bears with it the valid charge that its lyrics dis women and celebrate drugs and crime. It has met with stern disapproval from middle class and older African Americans of all stripes. It's a tough trade-off. Does it raise high the banner of black male dignity for those young American blacks who are most robbed of their manhood and their future? But it does so by projecting an image that's violent, unlawful, anti-social, and sexist. The movie Straight Outta Compton has been accused of "whitewashing N.W.A.'s racism." Pop music expert and black film critic Armond White redubs the movie Straight Outta Hollywood, calling it "the year's most mindles," guilty of crediting N.W.A. with being "political" when they were merely acting "out of a wild sense that they could profiteer through 'rebellion.'" White argues that this movie badly distorts hip hop history, glossing over the fact that groups from other parts of the country (Houston, New York) were better and more political than N.W.A.

But whether they are playing heroes or villains or a mixture of both, these young actors fill their roles with vibrant life. The emotion they project is a beam of light, they deliver the rap scenes (with the help of expensive staging) with galvanic power, and there are other strong dramatic sequences, some maudlin, like the sudden decline of Eazy-E, some weepy, like his rejection of Jerry, and some just big conventional set pieces like the concerts and orgies.

Typical of the genre, the early scenes show us the group's rough formation. When they go off to perform away, Dr. Dre (Corey Hawkins) has to leave his handsome kid brother Tyree (Keith Powers) behind. Later when Tyree is killed in the 'hood, Dre, whose woe is heart-rending, bitterly reproves himself for not taking the young man on tour as he'd asked. The movie's ongoing drama is the business side. Their manager, Jerry Heller (Paul Giamatti) is tough and sleazy but he believes in the group and allows the brothers their provocations, even "Fuck the Police" (which, anyway, just bluntly expresses one of their main ideas). Giarmatti, a formerly interesting character actor who has collected one too many paychecks for this kind of role, begins to seem as sleazy as his one-note, manipulative characters. This time he's Jewish, and the target of Ice Cube's antisemitism after he breaks away, as does Dr. Dre, both successfully.

Threads come and go, but despite the long run-time, some are left conspicuously dangling. What did happen to Jerry Heller? What happened to Dr. Dre after he was captured by the L.A.P.D. at the end of a wild chase in a fast Italian car? What do other groups and other kinds of rappers think of this group? There is a lot of talk about Ruthless Records, Priority Records, and another gangsta rap label, Death Row Records, but the chronology is fast and loose. It's never clear what role the big red-clad Compton hoodlum Suge Knight (R. Marcos Taylor) played. It turns out the history and context indeed are not well conveyed. This is a flashy film, impressive visually and technically despite its familiar trajectories, with one intense emotional scene after another, but it arouses many questions and doubts.

Straight Outta Compton, 147 mins., opened in cinemas from 13 August, US 14 August, UK 28th August.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-29-2015 at 09:43 AM.

I'll have a lot to say about this Chris when I see it. I have all of N.W.A.'s records and all of Ice Cube's solo records.
    (He is the greatest member- the one with ironclad Integrity).

Great review. I'll let you know what I think. It's a hit at the box office.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Thanks. Wonder about accusations of antisemitism in Ice Cube, mentioned in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Thanks. Wonder about accusations of antisemitism in Ice Cube, mentioned in the movie.

Is it anti-semitism to rap: "You can't be the Nigga 4 Life crew/With a white Jew telling' ya what to do" ?

It's a slam against his former bandmates. A Righteous one at that...

Right, complaining about his previous group and what he considered their subservience to their manager, Jerry Heller. Certainly calling him a Jew in that line is not anti-semitic in itself, but using the word "Jew" for him repeatedly in the song arguably is. Ice Cube replied that he respected Jewish people because they are "United." Ice Cube has gotten the antisemitic label again more recently for allegedly attacking an alleged rabbi who sued him for two million dollars for having his boys stomp him in front of an elevator. This has nothing to do with the language of his songs.

Let's quote the line before it from the "No Vaseline" song though for the violence of the context. From LA Weekly article on the movie:
    When it was over, they pretty much hated one another. Cube had released rap's ur diss song, "No Vaseline," calling the other members Uncle Toms and trashing their manager, Jerry Heller.

("Get rid of that devil real simple, put a bullet in his temple/'Cause you can't be the Nigga 4 Life crew/With a white Jew telling you what to do.")

N.W.A's leader, Eazy-E, and its star producer, Dr. Dre, fought in court and on record, and representatives of their labels got into physical altercations. When Eazy died of complications from AIDS in 1995, some of those hurt feelings were smoothed over, but his death ultimately set off a battle over the group's legacy, which continues to this day.
    Please read the Armond White review of the movie that i cited in my review. Specifically his musical context:
    Straight Outta Hollywood

N.W.A. struck a chord with rap fans, who responded to its repackaged Parliament-Funkadelic and James Brown beats. Houston’s Geto Boys and New York’s Public Enemy were superior groups, but childish hip-hop fans and white-Negro rock critics failed to make the distinction. They preferred N.W.A.’s simplistic adolescent angst and hard rhythm to Geto Boy’s bluesy psychological depth and Public Enemy’s R&B and political sophistication.
    And how about also this: In various ways despite the language and moments of violence Straight Outta Compton is a whitewashed-for-mainstream-box-office version of events.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-24-2015 at 07:32 PM.

This movie will gloss over things I think. The tensions were heated between members of N.W.A. and it was REAL.
    "No Vaseline" lays it all out, leaves nothing to the imagination.
    N.W.A. went from being the hardest rap group ever to "Lookin' like straight-Bozos".
    There's a reason they don't exist anymore, and it's because they lost their way, lost their edge, lost their minds with success.

Cube didn't. He went solo. And kept on Stompin'

I'd also like to know what happened to Jerry Heller. I think if Easy-E were alive this movie would not exist. He's the reason N.W.A. went south in my opinion. He made some bizarro decisions that threw Ice Cube through a loop, things that were just not Jake with a band like N.W.A.

Easy was protected by Jerry Heller, and it infuriated people. Wouldn't it be great if N.W.A. stayed intact and made the hardest rap records in world history? Those guys were lighting in a Compton bottle. That track "Straight Outta Compton" still smokes off the turntable. Still packs heat. But now, Ice Cube's solo records stand as the continuation to what they started, and he comes out looking like a rap King. Dr. Dre is more popular, but he's not better. Cube's records are tight, with killer lyrics and killer passion. The only solo CD he did that doesn't quite hit the hardcore mark is "Lethal Injection"- all of his others are top-notch. My favorite is "Death Certificate" followed by "I Am The West". I never get tired of those. They get your head bangin'.

It's awesome that Cube's son plays him in the movie. He looks like him. I'm amazed that Dre and Cube agreed to let this movie be made. It seemed like a long shot, after all the in-fighting.

After reading Armond White's review I'd love to know what Ice Cube thinks of that. Armond seems to be hitting hard...why was this written by Andrea Berloff? (screenwriter of Oliver Stone's World Trade Center)- that seems strange. Why would Ice Cube allow a mis-representation of hip-hop history make it to the big screen? Does he not care about N.W.A.? Ancient history? A job for the boy? I'm leery of seeing this movie now, after reading Armond White. If what he says is true, then this is a box office hit based on falsehoods and omissions.
    Last edited by Johann; 08-26-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Though I personally consult him every week, because he is a truly independent writer, Armond White can't be trusted on everything; he can be too extreme. But I would listen to what he says about rap and black music. The answer to your Why's might just be the simple word, "Hollywood." They wanted to make something focused on L.A. rap that would work as a popular movie. And they knew the mainstream middle-aged white film critics would not know the difference. Though Manohla Dargis of the NYTimes (who used to live in LA) admits the movie "isn't strong on specifics," she calls it "an exultant rags to riches story. . ." and "s blissfully American as apple pie."

There is another take on N.W.A. and Compton and this new movie to be found in the past week's New Yorker magazine, Hua Hsu's "Reality Hunger - A new movie, a new album, and the legacy of N.W.A." It seems you can access it without having a subscription. (Guess what it costs to buy a single slim copy of this magazine now? $7.99@!) Warning: Hua Hsu is a nerdy, bespectacled Asian associate professor at Vassar College; and he never mentions Public Enemy or Geto Boys or put N.W.A. in a wider rap context, it seems, and I don't think he adds anything new, but there it is, in a sanctified Condé Nast setting. If you want rap sophistication, don't read this article, and don't go to that movie. But we have to know about this stuff. We're students of cultural history, aren't we?

Unfortunately, when I think of STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON now, more and more what I remember first is Paul Giamatti.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-26-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    We're students of cultural history, aren't we?
    Indeed we are. I was called a "cultural elitist" by a Tory MP when I wrote to him at his riding office. Nobody has ever called me an elite anything.

We may each be elitist in our own way.

That's probably true. I don't walk around feeling or talking like an elitist, but I suppose someone could accuse me of that.
    Not many people see themselves as others see them. I'm not rich enough to be an elitist, a conservative, a snob or a republican.
    ha ha ha

Anybody who cares about and knows about anything is an elitist about that thing, in my definition. To me, elitism is a good thing. It's maintaining quality, not being a slacker, caring. And you sure do care.