FRENCH TITLE, FRENCH POSTER FOR THE FILM
ITS ALLOCINÉ PRESS RATING IS 4.4/5.

'Tabuno often says this about Chris...' (Why do you always talk about me in the third person?) but it's not so hard to see I'm not a fan of Pixar, but recognize the importance of their products and have admired some. I did not say the quality of the animation is " not as crisp and detailed" as I would like. To me the creatures all look like hard round plastic toys, a feature I noted is used ironically to good effect in other animations, such as THE LEGO MOVIE and A TOWN CALLED PANIC. I have made clear in the past that I like stop-motion animation, (as in PANIC, or in FANTASTIC MR. FOX, with its use of furry dolls), and like independent animations that show the mark of a single auteur, and I gave some examples above in my reply to Johann, which has links so you can watch them. There is a lot of difference and innovation in these indie animations, often seen at the premier European animation fest at Annecy, France (see YouTube for more examples). But mainly I just object to the ugly, kitschy look of a lot of Pixar product, the garish colors, the tasteless general look. I think the popularity of Pixar shows an indifference to aesthetics. They're plenty crisp, and detailed, I guess. I'm just surprised people are so indifferent. I'm an artist; I have an artistic background and care about the look of films. Granted, Pixar films are like a lot of other animations, not far from old Disney ones. But classic Disney was another world. And they were hand-drawn. As I prefer stop-motion, I prefer hand-drawn. As for INSIDE OUTSIDE, I think you can see I'd rate it as pretty good, or not bad, which is about the same thing. Its anthropomorphizing of selected elements of personality and mind is something new, at least for them, and worthy of looking into. Leading the plot into a big chase to catch Riley's "Train of Thought," though, was a disappointing, if conventional, direction.