Thread: A Cinema Canon for the Ages

Threaded View

What a nice comparison - Lean, Huston, Wilder - three directors whose style I admire very much; even if put into a historical context. There are contemporary directors whose style I also admire, such as Villeneuve and others. Thank you, Chris, for going to the trouble of finding that quote and sharing it with me. I appreciate that. I'm trying to read your Facebook referenced reviews as often as I can. Being so busy lately with my nursing duties gives me very little free time. I have to "cram" as much as I can into those fleeting hours while I savory all of the true morsels presented to me; like a Chris Knipp review. Your insights into film have always intrigued me. I look forward to your enlightenment as most of the films you review I will never see. However, you give me a glimpse into the realm of possibilities.

One added note... Oscar mentioned Ikiru and then Chris said this film moved him more than any movie he'd ever seen. That's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one. This is the gift that being part of this group gives me. When I say enlightenment, I mean it in the broadest sense. Ever since I started writing on this site, the views of other film critics have opened my eyes, opened my mind, and opened my heart. Ikiru is an incredible film of human pathos. Why didn't I learn about this film in film school? Why didn't I know about this film when I managed a retrospective theater? It took two decades to discover a gem that had been lying around, mixed in with the gravel... I only had to bend down, and pick it up.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 11-22-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos