PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Brando

cinemabon
07-02-2004, 11:41 AM
With last year (2003) being one of the most devastating in terms of deaths for Hollywood personalities, leave it to Brando to make the week of his passing one he has all to himself. He made many enemies over his lifetime, bloating up the same way Orson Welles did and doing movies late in his career better left to lesser talents. But looking back on his entire career, there can be no doubt of the impact Marlon Brando brought to film acting, starting with his very first role on screen in "The Men" and up through "Apocalypse Now". Brando brought his unique spin on Strasberg's "method" style of acting to all of his film projects. He got his first big break on broadway in "Streetcar Named Desire" and then later reprised the role in the film. His portrayals were so impressive that years ago critics labeled Brando as the greatest cinema actor of all time. While that could be debated forever ad nauseum, there can be no doubt about the depth and breadth of his talent.

For some rather amusing sides on Brando, go to imdb and check out some of his rather interesting idiosyncrasies, i.e., nominated eight times for an Academy Award and won twice. On the second win, he refused to attend the ceremony and sent instead actress Maria Cruz to pose as an Indian woman and read a statement Brando had written for her instead of an acceptance speech. But my personal favorite is the story of Brando occurs on the set of "The Score" (2001), when he refused to be on the movie set with director Frank Oz at the same time and referred to him as "Miss Piggy".

Johann
07-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks Marlon. You gave me some good times...

JustaFied
07-02-2004, 10:15 PM
I keep thinking of Neil Young's wonderfully poetic song, "Pocahontas", written almost 30 years ago.

"And maybe Marlon Brando will be there by the fire,
And sit and talk about Hollywood, and the good things there for hire,
Like the Astrodome, and the first teepee,
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas, and me..."

Brando was an icon.

bix171
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Marlon Brando's dead.

Whoa.

HorseradishTree
07-06-2004, 02:32 AM
My lighter's out and on for you, Marlon. Hell, man, you WERE a contender, and you K.O.ed almost every performance.