PDA

View Full Version : Ki-duk Kim: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. . .and Spring (2003)

Chris Knipp
05-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Puzzling poetry

A tiny temple floats rafted on a lake, surrounded by mountains and trees in a gorgeous nature preserve in Korea. A boy is in the care of an austere, calm religious man. The boy is playful and silly, but his play turns wicked. As he and the old man do their daily foraging on nearby land for food, the boy discovers a cruel game: he ties stones to a fish, a frog, and a snake to hamper their movements. The holy man crawls around watching him, saying nothing (the movie has almost no dialogue), instead tying a big stone to the boy's back while he’s sleeping. When the boy awakens he tells him: go and find the fish, frog, and snake and set them free, and if any of them have died you will carry that stone in your heart for the rest of your life. The fish and snake have died, and the boy weeps inconsolably. And that is the end of "Spring."

Summer” comes and the boy has become a young man. He succumbs to lust when a beautiful young woman who is sick is brought to the temple to stay. The youth and the girl sneak off frequently to have sex, flopping like fish on the rocks. The priest knows what's going on, but says nothing, till it turns out the girl has been cured -- by the lovemaking, it seems -- and he says she must leave. He warns his disappointed pupil that lust leads to possessiveness and possessiveness to murder. An abrupt sequence: alternatives and subtleties are omitted. The youth’s response is to abandon his teacher, sneaking off in the night on the rowboat with a small – stone -- Buddha statue in a sack on his back.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (does the title sound catchier in Korean?) has been greeted with such reverence there hasn't always been much analysis, and it’s full of puzzles and challenges. First of all, there is the eternal conflict over the relative validity of active and contemplative lives. The boy who’s taught not to be cruel to animals by the equally cruel method of having a stone tied to his own back, and who weeps so bitterly when he learns he’s caused the fish and snake to die, isn’t prepared by his life in the tiny temple to resist lust when the young woman comes to visit. He’s told by his holy teacher that lust leads through possessiveness to murder, and after he runs away he indeed murders his wife out of jealousy. Very nice no doubt for us to see this validation of the holy man’s causal sequence, but what good were the holy man's teachings or his methods for the boy turned into a man, if he returns to the lake filled with rage and pursued by police detectives? Could it be that the teacher can’t really teach; that the peaceful Buddhist retreat, which is all an invention by the Christian-trained (not Buddhist) Ki-duk Kim, is a nice place to get away to – perhaps one of the most gorgeous places ever filmed, the more so as seen gloriously transformed through the four seasons – but not a place where one can learn how to live in the world?

It is helpful to have been told since seeing the movie that in Buddhist tradition holy men know the moment of their deaths and that the priest’s self-immolation on the boat is therefore a logical and necessary ritual within such tradition. Also valuable to learn, post-viewing, that remains of holy men are deemed precious jewels: hence the acolyte’s carving out of the frozen boat where the old man has died and planting pieces in the Buddha he has carved in ice. But who can explain the woman without a face, her head swathed in a mauve cloth, bringing a weeping boy? Why does the priest write the sutra using the ink-dipped tail of a whining cat? Why does the priest, imitating his angry former pupil, paste papers over his eyes, nose, ears, and mouth with the word "shut" written on them at the moment he accepts death? Is this idiosyncratic avant-gardism or reference to another Buddhist concept?

No doubt the fact that the role of the grownup acolyte is taken by three different actors -- the last the martial-arts-skilled director Ki-duk Kim himself -- means that all these experiences are universal and have happened to many men. But this is a movie, and it would succeed better as a movie if its seasonal segments worked either as separate short stories or as a running story with well-established continuity. Let us also note that distracting visual beauty can be counterproductive in a movie that means to be intellectually stimulating. It’s no accident that more than one writer has called the effect of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring “hypnotic.” In a state of hypnosis we may learn nothing, or we may forget what we’ve learned.

To a non-Buddhist the movie indeed seems steeped in Buddhism. But like so many idylls, it preaches to the converted. There are those of us who will leave the theater entranced but unconvinced. And the persistent harshness and cruelty of this movie, so serene and lovely on the surface, will also leave a troubling impression. Ki-duk Kim shows a notable gift for combining dream-like fable with fabulous scenery; he certainly coats his doctrinal pills – if that’s what they are – in lovely and memorable images. But however exquisite looking and provocative this movie is, it’s not for everyone. As the priest's unsuccess with his pupil suggests, religious teachings only bear fruit in fertile ground. One may walk out feeling it doesn’t all hang together or make enough sense without an exegesis, though sometimes it’s also too free with bald truisms.

This puzzling, potentially controversial film has met with bland acceptance in the West.

Howard Schumann
05-15-2004, 12:55 AM
We two are probably the ones in the known universe that question this film but my wife agrees with me and she is a practising Buddhist. At any rate, here is my review (still in progress but couldn't wait until Monday):

SPRING, SUMMER , FALL, WINTER…AND SPRING (Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom)

Directed by Kim Ki-duk (2003)

Films that leave me feeling spiritually uplifted are often subtle and understated in their evocation of the transcendence of the human spirit. On the other hand, those that "try" to impress us about how spiritual they are often fail to achieve their desired goal. Such is the case for Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring, a South Korean film by Kim Ki-duk that works hard at conveying a spiritual experience but comes across as labored and self-conscious. While the shots are beautifully composed, the film offers little more than pre-packaged enlightenment, reiterating the accepted clichés about the long and painful process, the uphill battle full of struggle and effort, and so forth.

Set in monastery on Jason Pond, an artificial lake in North Kyungsang Province in Korea surrounded by a forest of ancient trees, each season represents a chapter of life and the achievement of a hard-earned lesson. An old monk (Oh Young-Soo) teaches his young charge (Kim Jong-ho) about the value of all sentient beings. After the boy playfully ties a rock to a frog, a snake, and a fish, the old master shows him what it feels like by tying a huge rock to the boy's back while he is sleeping. In the morning, he is told to find the animals and free them or he will have to carry a rock in his heart the rest of his life. Unable to do so, the boy grows up with a burdensome guilt.

By the following season, the young monk has become a 17-year old adolescent and is mesmerized when a beautiful teenage girl dressed in blue jeans shows up in his floating paradise, She has been brought by her mother because she is "sick" and wants the monks to "cure" her. After some time spent in prayer, the old monk tells the mother, "When she finds peace in her soul, her body will return to health." The soul cure is found pretty quickly when the young monk undoes his robe, letting us know that all women need to do to achieve health is to find a man. The old man confuses love with lust and utters such strange teaching as "lust awakens the desire to possess, and that awakens the intent to murder". When the girl is sent away following her cure, the boy also leaves the monastery and the film takes a non-Buddhist turn toward obsession and revenge until the cycle comes full circle.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring cultivates a mood of serenity but, from the opening moment to the final credits, it struck me as inauthentic. Buddhism is a disciplined system of mental and spiritual development designed to develop compassion and loving-kindness for all beings. Its practices include daily meditation that calms and clears the mind and allows us to gain a clearer sense of who we really are. This does not guarantee that we will never make mistakes but it is not credible to me that a boy raised from birth in the Buddhist tradition would be capable not only of cruelty to animals but to other human beings as well. At the end of the film I felt neither moved, uplifted, or even involved. If enlightenment means to lighten up, the best medicine for this sort of hokum is to laugh gently. After all, this too will pass. There is a cycle to everything -- even bad movies about spirituality.

GRADE: C

Chris Knipp
05-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Wow! I'm glad that somebody shares my doubts. You are even more bluntly critical than I am. You aren't swayed by the physical beauty of the movie at all. Your picture of it is very clear otherwise. You're probably right that the cinematic spiritual messages that work best are often the more subtle and understated ones -- and puzzling doesn't equal subtle. I wish you'd gone more into the even more puzzling latter half of the story--maybe you will do that as you do a final version. Some things have subsequently been explained to me in terms of Buddhist tradition, e.g., the priest's self-immolation; but I still think that scene is done more for its shock effect than anything else. There is a theatricality about the papers on the faces saying "shut" and the woman's face shouded in the mauve cloth, that overwhelms any possible spiritual or doctrinal message -- and sharply diverges from Buddhism's focus on the everyday world. In fact, the artifical "gate" with no walls, the artificial "temple" (its interior accoutrements pure invention, not traditional) suggest to me that we are in the airless and arbitrary world of von Trier's Dogville more than we are in the world of Buddhist tradition.

The boy's cruelty to the small animals really is incredibly un-Buddhist, isn't it? And since monks aren't allowed to have sex, you'd think the young acolyte wouldn't jump into it so easily. He shows no signs at any point of having learned anything from a lifetime with a holy sage. He seems well over seventeen, by the way. This movie is full of holes, and it bamboozles the audience with its theatricalilty and striking visual beauty.

How we interpret each segment has to vary because the movie is simply unclear. Was the young woman "sick"? It makes sense to put the word in quotation marks as you do. I'm not sure the priest confuses love with lust, as you say; I think rather that the young guy confuses lust with love (I was tempted to say the young man "falls in lust" with the young woman). It's really not clear; either of us might be right. Whether it's the priest or his young student who's confused, or both, this sure is a weird episode to have happen in such a setting. Or is it? My biggest problem with Spring, Summer, Fall, etc. may simply be that apart from its lack of verisimilitude, I don't "get" it at any point. Perhaps it's meant to all be a koan, a Zen conundrum. But I think what's clear is that it's mean to impress more than it's meant to instruct.

I think it's important to note that the filmmaker was raised as a Christian. There's good reason to suppose that he doesn't "get" Buddhism himself, and that his picture of it isn't reliable. But then, does the movie state that this is all Buddhist? Or does it leave that vague too? Perhaps the latter. (My father was a longtime student of Buddhism, but ultimately a practicing Christian.)

Howard Schumann
05-15-2004, 10:29 PM
He shows no signs at any point of having learned anything from a lifetime with a holy sage. He seems well over seventeen, by the way. This movie is full of holes, and it bamboozles the audience with its theatricalilty and striking visual beauty. Right on bro!
I wish you'd gone more into the even more puzzling latter half of the story--maybe you will do that as you do a final version. I don't usually discuss plot points that occur in a film after the first 45 minutes to an hour. At least that is what CD desires. In any event, I never spend any time analyzing obscure matter in film. My reviews are kind of an emotional snapshot, giving people a sense of what happens and how I related to it in general terms.

Chris Knipp
05-15-2004, 11:26 PM
I didn't know that about CD's requirements. Should I ask for more input? I have had nothing further taken for the past month. Maybe I'm not following the rules.

exaggeratedly modest sometimes in talking about your writing on film. Here, "emotional snapshot" seems an understatement.

Howard Schumann
05-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
I didn't know that about CD's requirements. Should I ask for more input? I have had nothing further taken for the past month. Maybe I'm not following the rules. I think he would let you know if there was a quality problem. I just think he has a lot of people to satisfy and he doesn't have much time. He only posts two new reviews each week on the average and he only does it himself once a month now, so it is left in the hands of other editors. If you are concerned, just wait until Monday and see what happens, then send him an e-mail. As you have noticed, I only get my stuff up there once every three weeks.
You are exaggeratedly modest sometimes in talking about your writing on film. Here, "emotional snapshot" seems an understatement. I guess that's a complement so thanks.

JustaFied
05-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I agree with you guys about this film. Having read some of the positive reviews beforehand, I came away a bit disappointed after seeing it. You've touched on a couple of the issues I had with the film, but I'll add a few more.

I thought the film took a wrong turn in the "Summer" section. I figured, as a follow up to "Spring", it would be about the boy becoming a man and learning to interact with other people and females. Not really sure why the girl and her mother felt the need to visit the old man when she was sick, but I thought it was perhaps a "setup" to allow the boy some social interaction. Instead, he (and we) get a harsh lesson about lust (or love) and the downfalls of such social interaction. He (and we) learn that the society of people is full of pain and disappointment and unfufilled longing. What kind of lesson is that? The statement "lust leads to possessiveness which leads to murder" is absurd. Perhaps the only time it's true (as seen in the movie), is when the bearer of that lust has grown up with very little human interaction, with only an old man and a cat for companions. I felt sorry for the kid, really.

And I agree that a boy raised in such strict Buddhist training would probably not revert to such primal instincts. The lesson behind tieing the stone to his back was that he must be considerate of all things, in nature, animals, and people. Then, the girl shows up and he basically clubs her over the head, forcing his "lust" upon her, and later killing her. It's like two entirely separate stories were going on.

The man is only at peace when he's in isolation at the lake, away from the society of people. I don't believe that's really at the heart of Buddhist philosophy. Isolation may be valuable at times to gain perspective and to restore a form of inner peace, but it shouldn't be one's only world. We live in a "society of people", and human interaction, which can indeed produce lust, love, envy, and sympathy, is a large part of what makes life joyful.

The cinematography and the scenary of the film are beautiful.

Howard Schumann
05-16-2004, 06:46 PM
This is what the director has said:

"While the film deals with Buddhist themes and elements, I made this film without having studied anything about it at all."

It is clear from the film that the director knows nothing about Buddhism.

The purpose of Buddhist teaching is to eliminate the life that reflects "the prison of ego-grasping, the prison of attachment, the prison of anger, depression and pride". Nowhere is this reflected in the results shown in the film.

As an antidote, I recommend the film "Chasing Buddha". A film about Robina Courtin, an activist who, as director of Liberation Prison Project, taught Buddhism in prisons to over 400 inmates in 150 institutions, several with life sentences or on death row, many involved with both street and prison gangs. It is an inspiring example of "engaged Buddhism" and a fascinating experience for those whose pictures of Buddhism begins and ends with shaven male monks fasting and meditating in a remote mountain retreat.

oscar jubis
05-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Perhaps I was "bamboozled" by the arresting images, swayed by 1000 people clapping at the Fest screening, and prepared for Ki-Duk, having seen his blunt and harsh Isle and bleak Address Unknown. I found a neatly structured and messily ambigious but engaging story illustrating the tension between morals and instincts; Buddhist themes, but certainly not a primer on Buddhism, expounding maxims and uplifting hearts (is it fair to demand exactly that?). Expecting "enlightment" from a film is to ask for something quite rare. Spring Summer, Fall, Winter and...Spring is not a masterpiece but it's special. A definite must-see.

Chris Knipp
05-17-2004, 02:49 AM
On the contrary I think more and more that this is a film that cannot be recommended. A film that bamboozles is not one that should be sought out. The more I think about it and learn about it, the more I become convinced that it is false and useless. But of course everyone has to see for himself and decide for himself.

"Pre-packaged enlightenment" isn't "enlightenment". Nobody seeks enlightenment in a film; we may get it sometimes; this film offers it, pre-packaged, but when you open the package, there's nothing inside.

But what I did like about it at the outset and at moments later on is a sense of the beauty of ordinary gestures, processes, and actions, which is, in a way, a Buddhist thing. The beauty of the setting is unquestionable, but how much Ki-duk Kim deserves credit for that is hard to say.

The director says he knows nothing about Buddhism, and that the film is about Buddhism. That is very questionable. This is a film about ideas. You can't get away from that; and the ideas are, in a sense, ersatz. Ideas as decor.

oscar jubis
06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't want to take too long praising a superior film that's received its share of accolades virtually everywhere, except here. A second viewing confirmed my impressions as stated in my last post. The ideas are not spelled out, as they often are in dialogue-heavy movies. The viewer is forced to interpret images and make inferences regarding possible meanings. One such concept is that isolation and estrangement from the world may not be conducive to a good life. The idyllic retreat can only provide the pupil with a limited range of experiences. The retreat is perhaps "not a place where one can learn how to live in the world" (Knipp). A more weighty issue, in my opinion, is the power of instincts to drive human behavior. The animal within us is ancient and resistant, seems to be a central idea of this film, especially if the pupil is to be taken as a representational character.