PDA

View Full Version : Monte Hellman

pmw
05-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Thought I'd start one about Monte Hellman. Dont think anyone's written about him yet. I actually haven't seen much so I'll be brief but hopefully others know more than I do.

I saw the George Hickenlooper documentary on Hellman on the Two Lane Blacktop DVD. Hellman seems like a man who stuck to his guns pretty much throughout his career, and never was very commercially successful. He's a director with very unique collaborative efforts to his credit (with Nicholson, with Oates, with Wilson/Taylor), and beyond that with real filmmaking assuredness.

Two Lane Blacktop - 1971 - A really great film. Perhaps the greatest American road film (say some). Dennis Wilson, James Taylor, Warren Oates and Laurie Bird star. They make for a very convincing cast, Taylor and Wilson play car fanatics with a fair bit of sadness/displacement on their sleeves. Bird, a girl with high hopes for the future but quite a bit of uncertainty, and Oates, a broken man with his own sense of reality. The four have a hard time staying to any one path (this is perhaps the coolest thing about this uber-cool quartet - they live free), and the film suggests that perhaps there are no paths for them.

It's such a nice film, and to those who were around in the 60's/70's apparentally a fitting end to an era. Next up for me: Helman's Cock Fight (also starring Oates and Bird). Incidentally, Bird, who is stunning in Blacktop did only 3 movies, ended up living with Art Garnfunkel in his penthouse in NY and eventually committed suicide in 1979.

oscar jubis
05-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by pmw
I saw the George Hickenlooper documentary on Hellman on the Two Lane Blacktop DVD.

I own the Limited Edition Tin Can dvd that includes a metal key chain, booklet,etc. I watched the film and never got around to watching the documentary. Thanks for reminding me to do so.

He's a director with very unique collaborative efforts to his credit (with Nicholson, with Oates, with Wilson/Taylor)

I'm a big fan of the two westerns (or "anti-westerns" some would say), Ride in the Whirlwind and The Shooting, Hellman directed in the mid-60s. These films are precursors to the great Dead Man. Don't watch these films expecting much action or plot development.

Next up for me: Helman's Cock Fight (also starring Oates and Bird)

Two takes on Cockfighter:
Kehr: "This disappointing road movie falls flat"
Rosenbaum: "A dark comedy and closet art movie that delivers and lingers". He also recommends the virtually unknown Iguana. I will post when I see them.

Johann
05-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I've seen Iguana- on Anchor Bay vhs. It's a great, obscure film. Tarantino was the reason I rented it-I read somewhere he saw it at Monte's house and said it was glorious. It took forever to get it released on video.
I also read that Tarantino met Monte in an L.A. coffeeshop and let him read the script of Pulp Fiction. "I want to direct it" said Monte. QT: "No way, this one's mine".

Two-Lane Blacktop is awesome. Warren Oates. A lean, mean James Taylor- wicked road movie.

"Make it $200 motherfucker and you have yourself an automobile race"