PDA

View Full Version : Connie and Carla - Gender Bias Exposed

tabuno
04-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Connie and Carla posted one of the largest gender gaps in rating difference on IMDb that I've seen with

5.3 for males
8.5 for females

Actor and writer Nia Vardalos along with director Michael Lembeck have tapped into an extremely sensitive nerve and gender difference in exposing the women portraying men portraying women genre harking back to Some Like It Hot.

This under-rated film produced some of most laughter of the 2004 film season. It touches on gay issues as well as double standards between men and women. It exposes the shame and humiliation, the sensitive side of men. Except for its overly stereotypical portrayal gay homosexuals (again), this movie seems to hit some muscular bottons of men. It seems to empower women being able to fool the ego centered male (proposing that somehow women are better in touch with both their female and male sides). Might it be threatening to think that females are even better at being men than men are?

However this movie is rated overall, there is a stark difference between men and women over how this movie is perceived that cannot be ignored. Thus being the case, how does one evaluate such a movie that is so split along gender lines? Is it a good move or bad movie? What if the Academy voters had been mostly women? Does a film have to have universal, unisex appeal to be great?

anduril
04-18-2004, 04:54 PM
How does one evaluate a move that is so split along gender lines? Well, with the simple explanation that the genders are different and so let the evaluations be different. I don't have to like what women like and they don't have to like what I like. Its the complementary nature of the genders that makes life so fun!!