PDA

View Full Version : Stone Reader by Mark Moskowitz

pmw
04-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Stone Reader is a dvd I've been meaning to watch for several months now. I finally did today, and I'm so glad.

Documentary filmmaker Mark Moskowitz read a book in 1972 after reading a rave review of it in the NY Times. The book was called The Stones of Summer written by Dow Mossman. Revisiting the book 30 years later, Moskowitz is amazed to discover what he believes to be one of the ten best first novels of the century, and he immediately searches for Mossman's subsequent works. But there are none - no novels, no short stories, no mentions of Mossman at all in fact. Perplexed, Moskowitz sets out to discover how a young author and his critically acclaimed book can simply drop off the map.

The film is an obsessive search for clues to the Dow Mossman story and is a warm tale of passionate admiration and a drive to keep something from falling into complete obscurity.

It is also the story of Mossman's professional obsession with his one and only great novel.

I resist giving away anything about the resolution because it drives the film. In it's highly personalized, autobiographical approach the film is very much in the vain of a Ross McElwee effort, and is a must see.

PMW

pmw
04-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Was watching this again and this time for a list of interesting books. There are about 5 freakishly knowledgeable book fanatics in this movie who spout off "greatest hits" lists in the course of a couple of hours. This is one that should be watched with pen and paper in hand.

JustaFied
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see this documentary, thanks for the recommendation.

How hard was it for him to actually find the writer? One review I read said that it could have been much simpler, and the filmmaker made it into more of an ordeal to draw out his documentary. This guy's not a recluse, is he?

I'd love to see a documentary about reclusive writers like Salinger or Pynchon, though of course it's important to recognize their intense desire to stay out of the public eye. Pynchon hasn't been photographed in over 30 years, I believe. No one's really sure where he's living. What drives these guys to keep their privacy so intact? What's so scary about being famous, even if it's really only in the eyes of the literary world? It's as if they'd be compromising themselves in some way by recognizing their extraordinary talent.