PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of The Matrix Revolutions

MickeyMoose15
11-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Released November 5th, 2003

Director: Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Monica Bellucci, Daniel Bernhardt, Jada Pinkett Smith, Matt McColm, Harold Perrineau Jr., Harry Lennix, Stuart Wells

Premise: In "The Matrix Revolutions," the final chapter in the "Matrix" trilogy, the rebels' long quest for freedom culminates in a final explosive battle. As the Machine Army wages devastation on Zion, its citizens mount an aggressive defense -- but can they stave off the relentless swarm of Sentinels long enough for Neo to harness the full extent of his powers and end the war?

“Everything that has a beginning … Has an end. I see the end coming … I see the darkness spreading … I see death … And you are all that stands in his way.”

And all that is standing in your way of the most highly anticipated film in years is the massive swarm of people ahead of you. Who would have thought a relatively small film called The Matrix in 1999 would eventually spawn one of the greatest film series in movie history? When the original film grossed $171 million at the domestic box office and became a huge cult favorite on DVD, Warner Brothers quickly jumped at the opportunity to role the (supposedly) final two sequels. It took the Wachowski brothers nearly four years and $300 million but the journey is almost over. There are many questions to ask before seeing Revolutions that one must ask himself: How will it end? Will I understand it? Will everything be answered? Can this truly be the final Matrix film? But the most important question to ask may be the most irrelevant: Do we really want it to end? Surely the Warner Brothers executives know their answer ....

Click Here to Read the Full Review! (http://www.hostultra.com/~TheMooseHole/The%20Matrix%20Revolutions.htm)

cinemabon
11-07-2003, 08:38 PM
I have to admit to having horrible guilt in liking this film series for two reasons. As a non-violent person, who does not promote films that glorify violence (like "Gladiator"), violence is one of the key elements of "The Matrix". The other reason I am having pangs this year, is because I feel the sequels are more exploitive for commercial purposes rather than continuing an intriguing tale.

That last sentence became more relevent earlier this year, when we tried to make sense of who "the architect" was, and what in the world he was saying when he talks with Neo. Additionally, we also try to make sense of "the Oracle", who seems to know the future, but is unwilling to reveal too much to Neo or any one character. Her part is preposterous. Both characters confuse us, rather than offer insights into this rather complex world.

The films released as, part two ("Reloaded"), and this current last installment ("Revolutions") are overflowing with various types of symbolism, from Christian (Neo as savior, et al) to Buddhism (endless rebirth of "the one") and countless other nuances stuck into scenes everywhere. There is a mish-mash of various beliefs and philosophies all thrown in along with the kitchen sink making us wonder if the filmmakers had a point to any of this at all, except to have more gun shooting kung-fu scenes filled with slow motion fighting.

The point of the two main characters, Neo and Trinity (who's names mean "new" and "three as one" repectively) is lost when their parts in all this "philosophy" become engulfed in the overblown collision course ending to this perplexing series. I for one, was disappointed in the end of the third film, especially the "wrap-up" scene that was supposed to help explain the motives of two characters (saying which two will spoil it for others). Such "closing" scenes become redundant in my mind, as if the filmmakers were trying to say that by including the scene, all will be explained and resolved. Instead, I found myself wondering about whether there would be another sequel, where the characters are all resurrected by cloning machines just to "see it all happen once more".

I cannot recommend these films as good science fiction or fantasy. They are just too confusing for that. Their convoluted plots are difficult to follow and have no meaning other than to offer oversimplification of what could have been profound. I can recommend the kung-fu fighting scenes as exciting to look at in their choreography and execution, but that is all.

oscar jubis
11-07-2003, 09:58 PM
One interesting premise, barely enough to sustain the first film. The rest is a pile of bogus half-baked ideas signifying nothing. Cinemabon states the sequels are "exploitive for commercial purposes". It's a dishonest double rip-off. I am better disposed towards films like Kill Bill which do not pretend to be what they are not. Crap like Matrix will continue to hog screen space, as long as wide-eyed teenage boys like Mr. Moose are impressed. He's likely to outgrow it but the films are already succesful enough to guarantee a lot of look-alike trash at the cineplex. Meanwhile, venues that show challenging fare grow scarce.

fuzzy_nolan
11-13-2003, 06:11 PM
The one thing that continually gave me the shits throughout all The Matrix trilogy is the banal way they handle exposition and dialogue.

Any time the plot loses enough momentum to require a bit of exposition, Neo (or whichever anodyne character happens to be around) goes to find someone who knows more than him (and the audience). And they sit down for a Q & A session where the information is carefully doled out to the audience like bread in Russia.

I've yet to watch any other film where the exposition so closely resembled press conferences.

Fair enough, you may say. It's a valid way to advance the plot. But it happens every single time! This isn't organic - it doesn't even faintly resemble what you might call "real" dialogue. And the action scenes act as padding in between these contrivances.

Neo asks the Oracle questions, Morpheus asks Neo questions, Neo asks a little girl questions, Seraph asks Smith questions and so on . . . ad fucking nauseum.

Does anyone else get sick of this shit?

Chris Knipp
11-14-2003, 02:01 AM
I think everyone was sick of the tedious expository dialogue in Matrix No. 2.