PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray thumbs

Johann
10-11-2022, 04:53 PM
This is a new thread for thumbnail reviews of movies I'm watching at home on blu-ray.
Hope you like it.

Johann
10-12-2022, 02:39 PM
THE HURRICANE (1999)

This is destined to be a Norman Jewison classic.
It tells us the ordeal of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a top-ranked middleweight boxer who was wrongly convicted of murder in the mid-60's. We follow Rubin in prison from 1966 to 1985, when he was freed with love from Canadian fans.
Strong performance from Denzel Washington, oscar nominated and golden globe winner.
Excellent pacing and cinematography. (Roger Deakins)
Highly recommended.

Johann
10-12-2022, 05:03 PM
THELMA & LOUISE (1991)

Powerful Ridley Scott film, starring two strong actresses: Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis.
Thelma is a housewife bumpkin, and Louise is a smart waitress.
They go on a vacation of sorts, only to end up on the run.
Thelma almost gets raped in a honky tonk bar parking lot and she's saved by Louise, who ends up shooting her attacker. From then on they are fugitives, and the stakes get higher the further they flee...
Loved the ending. Fist in the air shit.
I was very impressed with Geena Davis' acting-wowza.
Brad Pitt has a memorable small role as "J.D."

Johann
10-12-2022, 06:38 PM
THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2011)

This was a nice surprise, a great coming-of-age tale.
A young man named Charlie is a freshman in high school, and we get all his hang-ups and successes. Emma Watson and Ezra Miller lend great support in showcasing a young man's world and how he reacts to it. Brilliantly directed, shot and edited with a fantastic soundtrack.
There is a lot being juggled in this story, and it never feels forced.
I was rooting for Charlie the whole way.
Big thumbs up.

Johann
10-12-2022, 08:32 PM
THE FIGHTER (2010)

Based on a true story, this one is gritty and at times hard to watch.
Mark Wahlberg stars as Mickey, a welterweight boxer overshadowed by his brother Dickey, who once knocked Sugar Ray Leonard down in 1978.
But currently, Dickey is a crack addict, and Mickey is a punching bag for other boxers.
The dynamic with his family is harrowing and very real. They are tight-knit, and they struggle with Mickey and Dickey's ambitions. But there is a happy ending after all...
Amy Adams shines as Dickey's bartender girlfriend.

Chris Knipp
10-13-2022, 01:45 AM
I'm glad you're back, I love your thumbnail reviews. You forgot two directors' names - David O. Russell for THE FIGHTER, Stephen Chbosky for WALLFLOWER.

Johann
10-13-2022, 03:38 PM
I forgot to mention Christian Bale winning a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for THE FIGHTER too.
Happy to be back.

Johann
10-13-2022, 06:30 PM
WAYNE’S WORLD (1992)

Pure nostalgia from high school, directed by Penelope Spheeris.
It’s a silly comedy revolving around a local Illinois cable access tv show.
The show gets picked up and sponsored by Rob Lowe, who exploits it’s stars Wayne & Garth.
This is Mike Myers’s and Dana Carvey’s film debut, they were cast members of Saturday Night Live at the time. Lorne Michaels produced this, and it was a hit. The humour isn’t fall-down funny, but if you have a spliff and a six-pack you’ll have a good time. Cameos from Meatloaf and Alice Cooper!

Johann
10-13-2022, 07:45 PM
WAYNE’S WORLD 2 (1993)

This sequel didn’t make as much money as the first, nor is it as funny.
I liked it nonetheless. As Ebert said, you can’t hate Wayne and Garth.
Wayne has a dream of a “weird naked Indian” & Jim Morrison, who tells him to put on a concert.
“Book them and they will come” is the sage advice.
They want Aerosmith, Van Halen and others to play, but prospects aren’t good.
“WAYNESTOCK” might be a bust…
This time around they have quite a few cameos: Kim Basinger, Christopher Walken, Rip Taylor, “Del” from Withnail and I, Chris Farley, Charlton Heston, and Aerosmith, among others.
I liked their token hang-out where Ed O’Neill works: Stan Mikita Donuts, a spoof of Tim Horton’s donuts.

Johann
10-13-2022, 10:02 PM
TED(2012)

This is the directorial debut of Seth MacFarlane.
I watched the Unrated version and man, it’s crude.
This humour isn’t for everybody, like Family Guy.
A boy gets a large teddy bear for Christmas, and he wishes for the bear to be real,
So that they’ll be forever friends, “Thunder buddies”, pals for life.
Well sure enough, the wish comes true with the help of a shooting star.
The bear is voiced by Seth, and he sounds a lot like Peter Griffin…
Mark Wahlberg (as Johnny Bennett) must contend with foul-mouthed Ted as an adult, and the results are crazy.
You have to suspend disbelief to enjoy this movie, and I felt it was redeemed by the heartfelt
Love given to Sam Jones and Flash Gordon, a seminal movie in my life and Johnny’s.
There is sex, drugs, rock and roll, Tom Skeritt, Ryan Reynolds, Mila Kunis and Giovanni Ribisi.

Johann
10-13-2022, 11:57 PM
TED 2 (2015)

This sequel is not very good. Whatever “bar” the first Ted sets, it’s lowered here.
It’s set three years after the first movie, with Ted trying to legally establish himself as a person and not property.
Patrick Stewart narrates both films, Michael Dorn has a cameo in this one, and there’s more love for Sam Jones and Flash Gordon. Seth hired Morgan Freeman and gave cameos to Liam Neeson and Tom Brady.
The story just never gets a foothold.
I like the pop culture references and enjoyed the New York Comic Con sequences/fight.
It’s the crude humour that rankles- is it really necessary?
There will probably be a third Ted, it’s a popular franchise.
Mark Wahlberg was good in the first one. Here he’s just hanging on.

Johann
10-14-2022, 01:10 PM
THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985)

80’s Gold.
This very basic and simple film defined a generation.
John Hughes directs Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall and Judd Nelson in THE coming-of-age movie.
5 students are sent to detention on a Saturday.
They have unique personalities and outlooks. They are thrown together, and by day’s end they bond.
Part of the fun of the movie is the vice-principal, who’s a dick.
The kids manage to avoid their essay assignment, smoke pot, and generally skirt their punishments.
Eminently watchable classic film.

Chris Knipp
10-14-2022, 01:18 PM
Rewatched recently because a new movie inspired by it was coming out, Nicholas Celozzi's The Class (2022). Nothing compares with Hughes. Peter and I share the taste.

Johann
10-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Yes, John Hughes is special.
I read that John Cusack was going to play Bender, but Hughes felt he didn’t look menacing enough.

Chris Knipp
10-14-2022, 02:09 PM
Good decision.

Johann
10-14-2022, 02:26 PM
THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT (2010)

Annette Bening and Julianne Moore star as a lesbian couple who’ve successfully raised two kids.
The kids are curious about their father (Mark Ruffalo), and track him down via the sperm bank.
They meet, they hit it off and he goes to dinner with the moms.
He’s charming and attentive, something Julianne feels is lacking in her marriage.
She eventually kisses him, in an awkward moment. Things lead to a sexual fling, defying her lesbian marriage. This movie focuses on marriage in general, it’s not a statement or manifesto.
There is no movie like this, and It’s topical, addressing real world problems.
Golden globe winner for Bening!
Directed by Lisa Cholodenko.

Chris Knipp
10-14-2022, 03:03 PM
I reviewed (https://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1545) it at the time. I found the acting excellent, but thought it got mired in detail. It was popular with some, and a critical hit.

Johann
10-14-2022, 03:29 PM
You go into great detail (with accuracy) about the film.
I’m not particularly drawn to such a movie but I’m glad I saw it.
Ebert noted that marriage is unnatural, that we are not raised to co-habitate with another adult!

Johann
10-14-2022, 04:09 PM
BY THE SEA (2015)

Written and directed by Angelina Jolie, who is not a bad filmmaker!
This was made during her honeymoon with Brad Pitt in Malta.
It’s about a couple whose relationship is rocky, and they get away to France in the 60’s.
It’s got a fairly languid pace, with gorgeous imagery- seems Jolie wanted a cinematic record of their honeymoon.
Apparently this was also made as a tribute to her deceased mother, who loved 1960’s films.
Thumbs up. She should direct more. She’s got skill.

Johann
10-14-2022, 06:32 PM
THE HANGOVER (2010)

“The highest grossing R-rated comedy ever” was a bust for me.
I never laughed at a single thing in this movie.
It was just redundant, redundant, REDUNDANT.
Jäegermeister, a mattress, a tiger, a baby, Mike Tyson and Las Vegas.
Trashed hotel room. A missing friend, an Asian naked guy locked in the trunk of a car.
All of this is supposed to be funny. It’s not. It’s Retarded.
It felt like someone was constantly farting in your face and laughing about it.
Nothing is logical or plausible here.
I intended to watch all three Hangover films tonite.
I read the synopses’ for the sequels and opted to save myself the torture.
Thumbs way down.

Johann
10-14-2022, 11:22 PM
A MAN APART (2003)

Vin Diesel stars as a former gang member turned DEA Enforcer.
He works at the California/Mexico border and in L.A. busting up cartels.
It’s no masterpiece but it’s watchable.
Gritty, violent and it has a realism that is pretty authentic.

Johann
10-15-2022, 05:24 PM
Two movies I’m warning you to avoid, they’re bad & cliched:
Running Scared with Paul Walker
And
Alex Cross with Tyler Perry

Johann
10-15-2022, 10:30 PM
THE WACKNESS (2008)

This is a coming-of-age tale from the summer of 1994 in NYC and it’s quite good.
Josh Peck stars as Luke Shapiro, who lives at home with mom and dad.
He deals marijuana as a front so he can get therapy from his psychiatrist (a great Ben Kingsley).
Luke has a series of troubles and highs (pun intended).
There’s some good scenes here, the acting is pretty good for amateurs.
But it’s the retro soundtrack that really bumps……I want the soundtrack, it’s that good.

Chris Knipp
10-16-2022, 12:47 PM
Pretty good for amateurs?

Johann
10-17-2022, 12:19 PM
Yes with the exception of Ben Kingsley the cast is Amateur

Johann
10-17-2022, 12:29 PM
THE PROFESSOR (2018)

This is by all accounts a flop, directed by Wayne Roberts.
Johnny Depp plays a college professor of Literature who finds out he has stage 4 lung cancer.
How he chooses to deal with this news is to drink, smoke, eat pot cookies, drink some more, have gay sex, wallow in misery and humiliate his class.
I searched for something redeeming- there was nothing.

Johann
10-18-2022, 06:03 PM
THE BROTHERS BLOOM (2008)

This movie is saved by Rachel Weisz, who’s wonderful.
Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo are the brothers, whose reputation precedes them. They are well-known con-men, and this movie takes us around the world for their schemes. Love for Penelope (Weisz) threatens their cons.
Directed by Rian Johnson with beautiful cinematography/ locales, this film requires a little suspension of disbelief to buy it totally.
It’s a comedy, but I found the laughs few and far between.
It also stars the late Robbie Coltrane as a museum curator.

Johann
10-18-2022, 06:39 PM
SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Probably the best Marvel movie so far, I wasn’t sure I’d like the Multi-Verse concept, but it works.
Peter Parker asks for help from Dr. Strange (a fantastic Benedict Cumberbatch) and he gets it, in a way. Past Spider-Men are resurrected, along with their villains, who must be defeated again.
Great CGI and some great action sequences here.
It’s a long movie, but it’s satisfying, especially if you love Spider-Man movie lore.
Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina chew scenery, they steal the movie.

Chris Knipp
10-18-2022, 07:41 PM
THE BROTHERS BLOOM (2008)

This movie is saved by Rachel Weisz, who’s wonderful.
Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo are the brothers, whose reputation precedes them. They are well-known con-men, and this movie takes us around the world for their schemes. Love for Penelope (Weisz) threatens their cons.
Directed by Rian Johnson with beautiful cinematography/ locales, this film requires a little suspension of disbelief to buy it totally.
It’s a comedy, but I found the laughs few and far between.
It also stars the late Robbie Coltrane as a museum curator.

I wrote a review - though you may not want to read beyond the first paragraph.
http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2580-THE-BROTHERS-BLOOM-(Rian-Johnson-2009)&p=22233#post22233

Johann
10-18-2022, 08:26 PM
Good review Chris- you fill in the details.
You’re right that there’s not enough danger to the cons or the brothers themselves.

Johann
10-18-2022, 09:13 PM
GET ON UP (2014)

Directed by Tate Taylor, this biopic does the Hardest Working Man in Show Business Justice.
I loved this movie. It doesn’t shy away from the unsavoury aspects of James Brown’s life.
No no no- it’s all here, his rough childhood, his mothers’ prostitution, his jail time, his abusiveness towards his wife- it’s warts and all.
But we also get incredible concert moments and performances. Chadwick Boseman deserved an Oscar.
He is James Brown. I had no trouble giving it up for him here.
Makes you want to buy some albums!
Two big thumbs up.

Chris Knipp
10-18-2022, 10:52 PM
I remember how frustrating that movie was. But I felt it deserved a thorough going over. Rian Johnson - despite what Oscar said originally - that he didn't like BRICK, the debut that was almost a cult hit - led one to expect a lot more. And he did - he gave us LOOPER, he gave us 84 Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (not my thing, but good reviews) and he gave us KNIVES OUT. So BROTHERS BLOOM was sort of a sophomore slump. Now KNIVES OUT ii is on the way next month.

Johann
10-18-2022, 11:01 PM
The main problem with it is how artificial it feels.
Rian Johnson has a solid film career, but he drew a lot of ire from Star Wars fans. I still don’t know how he landed that job.
Like you, I won’t watch The Brothers Bloom again. It has no lasting power.

Johann
10-18-2022, 11:24 PM
WARRIOR (2011)

Gavin O’Connor’s Warrior is long but great.
It’s sports drama at its finest, a la Rocky.
Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton turn in great performances as MMA fighters and brothers who ultimately fight each other in “Sparta”, a tournament of champions.
Tom Hardy is actually trained in ju-Jitsu, and Joel passes for an MMA fighter no problem— he’s certainly got the physique.
There is a fair amount of pre-fight family drama, with their father Paddy (a great Nick Nolte).
This is a more polished and heady version of The Fighter.
And like that film, there’s a really happy outcome.
Recommended.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 07:56 AM
The main problem with it is how artificial it feels.
Rian Johnson has a solid film career, but he drew a lot of ire from Star Wars fans. I still don’t know how he landed that job.
Like you, I won’t watch The Brothers Bloom again. It has no lasting power.
I don't know how he landed it either - or why he'd want to. He has talent though and KNIVES OUT is one of the most ingenious and witty puzzle murder pictures ever.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 08:13 AM
WARRIOR (2011)

Gavin O’Connor’s Warrior is long but great.
It’s sports drama at its finest, a la Rocky.
Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton turn in great performances as MMA fighters and brothers who ultimately fight each other in “Sparta”, a tournament of champions.
Tom Hardy is actually trained in ju-Jitsu, and Joel passes for an MMA fighter no problem— he’s certainly got the physique.
There is a fair amount of pre-fight family drama, with their father Paddy (a great Nick Nolte).
This is a more polished and heady version of The Fighter.
And like that film, there’s a really happy outcome.
Recommended.

I listed it in my Best Movies of 2011 list, but I didn't write a review of it - did not engage with it as much as THE FIGHTER and consequently don't remember it as well. THE FIGHTER got better reviews than WARRIOR, in fact - despite WARRIOR's physically impressive leads.

Johann
10-19-2022, 08:52 AM
THE FIGHTER got better reviews than WARRIOR

The Fighter was prime Oscar bait; I feel Warrior could’ve won Oscars uif it came first.
The editing should be singled out too. The fights were more exciting than real MMA fights!
With a couple being VERY satisfying to watch.

Johann
10-19-2022, 04:55 PM
UNFAITHFUL (2002)

Adrian Lyne directed a fine erotic thriller with Unfaithful.
Richard Gere and Diane Lane are fantastic as a married couple where one is unfaithful.
One day Diane bumps into Olivier Martinez on the street on a windy day, scraping her knee.
They end up getting hot and heavy, beginning an affair. She is excited and terrified at the same time that she’ll be found out.
And she is.
Gere goes berzerk after he deduces what’s going on.
He kills Martinez in a rage, making things very interesting….
Loved it.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 05:19 PM
UNFAITHFUL (2002)

Adrian Lyne directed a fine erotic thriller with Unfaithful.
Richard Gere and Diane Lane are fantastic as a married couple where one is unfaithful.
One day Diane bumps into Olivier Martinez on the street on a windy day, scraping her knee.
They end up getting hot and heavy, beginning an affair. She is excited and terrified at the same time that she’ll be found out.
And she is.
Gere goes berzerk after he deduces what’s going on.
He kills Martinez in a rage, making things very interesting….
Loved it.
We have to go back 20 years for my review o (https://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82)f this one. You may think I'm a party-pooper. It was fun: why spoil it? And I'm not saying you're 'wrong.' But I just thought its source was better, and I try to explain why. Lyne's cast is good, though, especially Diane Lane. Gere had a tendency to seem generic but Olivier at that time was very handsome and he had sizzled in the 1997 HORSEMAN ON THE ROOF>

Johann
10-19-2022, 05:27 PM
You made/make valid points. I’d never heard of the original Chabrol.
The ending is a bit wonky, true.
I still loved it. I found it engaging and interesting, in an Eyes Wide Shut kind of way.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 05:35 PM
A British review (https://www.theguardian.com/film/News_Story/Critic_Review/Observer_review/0,,729918,00.html) gives more info that was new to me - Gere was in five Hollywood adaptations of much admired French originals by that time. He also grants Lyne's version has its points, and laments all the British talent being 'wasted' in Hollywood! English movies used to be really great in the Fifties and Sixties - then what happened?

Johann
10-19-2022, 05:42 PM
Good review. I really want to see the Chabrol now, to compare.
I reckon it’ll be hard to find on blu-ray…

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 07:27 PM
Thanks.
That's true, about Blu-ray of the film. You can watch UNE FEMME INFIDÈLE free right now on YouTube, but that's without subtitles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKheDEHPsBw
The DVD with subtitles is cheap - $12 (Amazon).

Johann
10-19-2022, 07:33 PM
Alright!! I’ll watch that.

Johann
10-19-2022, 07:45 PM
THE ZOOKEEPER’S WIFE (2017)

Niki Caro has made a good holocaust film, one that doesn’t show the horrors implicitly, as critics complained of.
I don’t know what they want, Nazi Brutality on film?
Why do we need images that recoil us. We know how bad it was.
As Kubrick said about his holocaust project Aryan Papers: “How can I film it?? How can I make actors pretend it?”

The Zookeeper’s Wife can be favourably compared to Schindler’s List, in that Polish Jews were successfully saved in the Warsaw Zoo- over 300 in fact. Jan and Antonina Zabinski are real-life heroes for their actions during WW2. Jessica Chastain plays Antonina, and she continues to surprise me with her roles. Jan and Antonina run the Warsaw Zoo at the time of the Nazi takeover, and this film shows us what they had to endure in vivid detail. No, it’s not as horrific as it really was, but as an audience we get the gist.
Daniel Bruhl lends a unique dimension as Hitler’s Chief Zoologist.
Recommended as a sobering history lesson.

Johann
10-19-2022, 09:39 PM
You can watch UNE FEMME INFIDÈLE free right now on YouTube.

I did just that. I understood everything without subtitles. Masterful movie!
It would look really great on blu-ray if they remastered picture and sound.
Unfaithful followed it quite closely, although he wasn’t killed with a snow globe- it was an Egyptian bust. He was tipped off by the big Zippo lighter….
He didn’t dispose of the body in a landfill. It was a bog.
I sensed some Hitchcock in the Chabrol. Glad to have seen it. Thank you Chris.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2022, 10:57 PM
I'm delighted that you watched it without subtitles and followed it perfectly. I love watching French films in Paris, of course without subtitles, and though I've studied French seemingly forever I often don't understand the dialogue but follow the movies nonetheless. The language of cinema. Of course you could follow the Chabrol also because you'd seen it - the Lyne version. I forgot Lyne is responsible for such gems as FLASH DANCE, 91/2 WEEKS, FATAL ATTRACTION, and the Jeremy Irons version of LOLITA (not the good, Kubrick, one). I watched only a couple of quick hits of the Chabrol film so far but saw Hitchcock in it right a way.

Johann
10-19-2022, 11:05 PM
THE GRADUATE (1967)

This is a classic Mike Nichols film.
Who hasn’t heard of The Graduate?
Dustin Hoffman is Ben, who just graduated college and is worried about his future. He gets seduced by an older woman (Anne Bancroft) and makes a comment that he should date her daughter, Elaine. Mrs. Robinson forbids it. He dates her anyway.
Conflict ensues when Elaine is coerced into marrying someone else.
Ben storms the wedding.
Great soundtrack with Simon and Garfunkel songs.

Johann
10-23-2022, 02:47 PM
THE GANGSTER (2012)

This movie has some panache, but I felt it was ultimately disposable.
Quentin Tarantino would probably like it.
It’s “Gangs of Bangkok”, set in the 50’s.
There’s stylized violence, rape and gore.
The characters don’t like their lifestyle, but know nothing else.
Illegal rackets, protection money and movies are their daily activities.
They love rock and roll and Elvis, so that’s amusing.
I felt there wasn’t enough here to make it a cult hit or even a hit.

Johann
10-23-2022, 09:58 PM
GHOST IN THE SHELL (2017)

I’ve seen the 1995 anime film, which is a masterpiece. This live-action adaptation directed by Rupert Sanders is very good, one of my personal favourites.
Scarlet Johannsen stars as Major (Killian), a cyborg super soldier.
She goes on a quest to find her past, which was stolen from her.
Her body isn’t her own- only her brain. This is the true A.I. film to me, with top-notch CGI and amazing visuals. Major is more than human, more than A.I., as Juliette Binoche’s character tells us… Her “ghost” or soul, survived the corporate creation.
I can’t recommend this movie enough. There’s even a spectacular finale with a Spider-Tank.

Johann
10-26-2022, 12:13 PM
TERMINATOR SALVATION (2009)

I just bought this McG Director’s Cut.
My favourite Terminator movie. Wall to wall action, this has everything you want in a Terminator flick. Christian Bale was in the middle of making The Dark Knight trilogy when he signed on to play John Connor. Sam Worthington provides great support as Marcus.
The action is great, the story moves at a good clip, and there’s no Arnold! He’s only seen Very briefly. Highly recommended.

Johann
10-27-2022, 05:55 AM
NOAH (2014)

I call this a masterpiece, even though many may disagree.
Darren Aronofsky gives us a modern biblical epic, and its glorious.
A perfect cast and fine acting stand out, especially from Ray Winstone and Jennifer Connelly.
Critics and bible scholars will take issue with the creative liberties- the Watchers, referring to God as the Creator, the look of the ark itself.
The ark was built with no frills, except for a woodstove. It was designed to float, nothing more.
It's a raft with a roof.
Russell Crowe is fine as Noah. He's steadfast, is unsure from time to time. I was expecting God to talk to him, but it didn't happen. He's guided on what to do thru dreams and miracles.
I loved every minute of this movie. It will make you think.

Chris Knipp
10-27-2022, 10:40 AM
I've never liked Aronofsky, not even his critical successes, and this isn't particularly one. Read my review, (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3706-NOAH-%28Darren-Aronofsky-2014%29&p=32045#post32045) if you feel like it. If you don't make it to the end you may still like the part about the shorter "Christian friendlier" studio cuts that got abandoned for the director's cut.

Darren Aronofsky's greatest "critical success" is THE TERRITORY, which he produced, the great doc about the Amazon by Alex Pritz that came out this summer and is I think one of the best movies of the year. Another critical hit he produced: JACKIE. He also produced THE FIGHTER, which you commented on recently.

oscar jubis
10-27-2022, 11:29 AM
NOAH (2014)
I call this a masterpiece, even though many may disagree.
Maybe many will not think it's a masterpiece but this movie got ONLY one negative review out of 45 (metacritic). It's got some very favorable reviews by serious, veteran critics like Scoot Foundas, Richard Corliss, Todd McCarthy, etc.

Chris Knipp
10-27-2022, 02:26 PM
You're absolutely right. I may have overstated the negativity of the critical response. It was mixed. There were some top critics who liked it. But many were a bit on the "meh" side apparently to result in an overall estimate of 68%.

Johann
10-27-2022, 02:39 PM
Your review is great Chris. It’s an accurate report.
The only part of the movie that seemed preposterous was the Watchers, or rock monsters.
That was tree-beard Lord of the Rings-type shit.
Overall the movie works. It’s dramatic when it has to be and it makes you think of God and how He operates.

Johann
10-27-2022, 04:08 PM
IN THE NAME OF THE KING (2007)

This is the second Uwe Boll film I’ve seen, after Bloodrayne: The Third Reich.
He is a schlockmeister, with low production values, terrible acting and laughable plots.
When this movie began I thought it might be good: Jason Statham and Ron Perlman are actors of some repute, the visuals weren’t bad and there was a glimmer of a promise that the action would pay off in spades. Alas, it was not to be.
As the story plodded on it became clear that this was a bad movie.
Leelee Sobieski, Ray Liotta and a totally ridiculous Burt Reynolds round out the cast of this bomb.
The “Krug” ripped off the Orcs from Lord of the Rings!

Chris Knipp
10-27-2022, 04:08 PM
Your review is great Chris. It’s an accurate report.

Thanks.
Aronofsky is a discussable director. Much argument there. I decidedly dislike his bents. Not simpatico. The celebrated dance film BLACK SWAN I hated. As I said before he tends to turn everything into a horror movie (not Noah, but Mother). Oh how I hated REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, and I am sure I shall hate WHALE. PI was okay. THE WRESTLER had its points.

Johann
10-27-2022, 04:25 PM
Noah is my favourite Aronofsky, hands down
I enjoyed The Wrestler, Jackie and Black Swan.
I didn’t like Requiem for a Dream.
He seems to go for the sensational, while trying to be “art”…..

Johann
10-27-2022, 05:22 PM
RANGO (2011)

Hoo Boy, I must be in the minority because I didn’t like Rango.
I didn’t laugh once.
Johnny Depp voices a lost chameleon. The animation is decent enough, but everything feels forced and lame.
Depp is truly cartoonish with his voice work. I wasn’t buying it.
I can’t see children loving this and I’m amazed it won the Oscar for best animated feature.
Thumbs down, Mang.

Johann
10-27-2022, 08:07 PM
THE GOOD LIAR (2019)

Oh what a tangled web we weave….
Bill Condon’s The Good Liar is a showcase for veterans Helen Mirren & Ian McKellen.
I’m not going to spoil anything for those who haven’t seen it, but it is ICY COLD…HAHA Brrrr!!!
All I’ll say is McKellen plays Roy, a career con man, and his mark is Helen.
Great movie.

Johann
10-27-2022, 10:24 PM
SCHINDLER’S LIST (1993)

I hadn’t seen this in over 25 years, and it was a stark reminder of how inhuman the Nazis were.
The Warsaw ghetto, work camps, forcing Jews out of their homes and to wear the Star of David, taking their valuables and property, sniping Jews…. the injustices are plenty.
Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes are very effective here.
The camerawork is stunning- vivid black and white that looks amazing on blu-ray.
It’s an uncomfortable movie, but an important one.

Johann
10-28-2022, 09:25 PM
BLADE RUNNER (1982)

I'm happy that I saw The Final Cut, the only version Ridley Scott had creative control over.
It's visionary no doubt, but it's also slow and odd.
I didn't know what to make of this as I watched it.
One thing's for sure: it was ahead of it's time. The visuals are amazing and should be applauded.
Based on a Philip K. Dick novel, it tells of a weary cop and his tracking down of "Replicants".
Quality sci-fi.
I was also very happy to see Kubrick alum Joe Turkel in a small role.
The music by Vangelis was also tremendously atmospheric.

Johann
10-29-2022, 08:02 PM
ADRIFT (2018)

This is a powerful story of survival, set in 1983.
Tami (Shailene Woodley) is a young free spirit who travels around on boats doing odd jobs.
She lands in Tahiti and meets Richard, a handsome British sailor with his own boat.
They develop feelings for one another, and when Richard gets offered a job to sail a yacht to San Diego he agrees, if they pay for return airfare to Tahiti for Tami too.
The trip goes well until they enter a hurricane, flipping the boat and causing flooding.
Richard is also lost in the ocean, which sets up an interesting part of the movie where Tami rescues him...or did she dream it?
Great acting from two unknowns, beautiful camerawork means two thumbs up.
This was a true story- Tami survived at sea for 41 days until rescued.

Johann
10-29-2022, 09:42 PM
DRIVE (2011)

Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, this is a pretty good action/heist film.
Be warned tho: there are scenes of graphic violence, with one in particular in an elevator being notorious.
Ryan Gosling plays a hollywood stunt driver who also does work driving for the criminal underbelly of L.A.
Bryan Cranston is his only ally.
He's attracted to his neighbor (Carey Mulligan), and he helps out her newly released from jail boyfriend. He owes protection money, and they set out to rob a pawn shop.
Things get botched, and the movie takes a wild turn.
Good performances, a nice car chase in the middle and interesting support from Ron Perlman and Albert Brooks as gangsters.

Johann
10-30-2022, 04:06 PM
YESTERDAY (2019)

Himesh Patel stars as Jack Malick, a musician who wakes up one day in an alternate reality, one where The Beatles never existed. He proceeds to re-introduce the songs as his own.
I didn't like this movie. I don't like Danny Boyle films. Patel is unappealing, and I didn't like the idea of pilfering the Beatles' legacy, even if they supposedly don't exist.
The songs are performed ok, I just can't stand the premise. This is labelled as a rom-com but I felt it was neither. The Beatles deserve better. These aren't just "some songs"...these are some of the best songs ever written!

Johann
10-30-2022, 08:07 PM
THE APPALOOSA |(2008)

This is the Ed Harris directed western, not the original with Marlon Brando.
An entertaining/engaging western, I enjoyed The Appaloosa.
Ed Harris stars as Virgil Cole, recently appointed Marshal.
Viggo Mortenson is Everett Hitch, his deputy.
Renee Zellweger plays Allie French, the love interest of Cole.
Jeremy Irons is the villain of the piece, as Randall Bragg, in custody for murder.
Allie has trouble being loyal to her man, the city is under threat because of the arrest of Bragg and Cole's methods for keeping the peace don't help matters.
Recommended.

Johann
10-31-2022, 03:57 PM
THE BATMAN (2021)

Matt Reeves made a disappointing Batman movie.
I’m sick and tired of the “motorcycle suit” Batman.
He’s supposed to be so physically tough that he doesn’t need body armour.
I couldn’t care less about both The Riddler and Robert Pattinson’s Batman.
One was a shrill freak in a green gimp suit and the other was a brooding wooden Dracula.
The things I liked were Penguin, Catwoman and Gordon. The Batmobile was nice too.
But everything else was just sour boring window dressing.
The ending was hopeful, so we’ll see what the sequel brings.

Johann
10-31-2022, 07:29 PM
THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU (2014)

When their father dies, 4 adult children move back into their mother’s (Jane Fonda) house for a week.
Family dysfunction takes over.
This is a comedy and there are laughs, but I felt they were trying too hard to get us to feel for the characters.
Starring Jason Bateman, Tina Fey and Adam Driver, this was a one time watch.

Johann
10-31-2022, 09:30 PM
ALL EYEZ ON ME (2017)

This is a fantastic biopic directed by the aptly named Benny Boom.
We get the sum total overview of Tupac Shakur’s short but brilliant life.
He’s played by Demetrius Shipp, and it’s a great performance.
The music is super-cool. Hearing those songs again took me back to the mid-90’s.
Highly recommended.
We get his youth, legal troubles/ jail time, early career with the Digital Underground, superstardom, acting career, hanging with his peers Notorious B.I.G., Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre, his time at Death Row records and his untimely death.

Johann
11-01-2022, 07:06 PM
TO THE WONDER (2013)

I loved this film, as I love all of Terence Malick’s films.
However if you’re looking for a plot…. You’re out of luck.
Gorgeous imagery/cinematography should keep your peepers locked onscreen.
Ben Affleck stars.
The narrative moves from Paris to Oklahoma, involving Ben’s relations with two women.
This was the last movie Roger Ebert ever reviewed, giving it 3 and a half stars out of 4.

Johann
11-01-2022, 08:30 PM
THE LAST RIDE (2011)

Harry Thomason directs Henry Thomas as Hank Williams, in this weak film.
Hank gets driven to his final performances, and he’s a drunken lout!
The whole movie is just him being chauffeured around, from town to town, as a drunk obnoxious git.
There are no original recordings of Hank’s here either- they’re all modern covers.
Big disappointing “tribute” to a true Legend.

Johann
11-02-2022, 02:14 PM
ARGO (2012)

Ben Affleck directs this Best Picture Oscar winner, which is very good.
The American Embassy in Tehran, Iran is attacked by Islamists on Nov. 4th, 1979.
Six manage to get out, but 66 staffers are taken hostage.
Enter Mendez (Affleck), a CIA man specializing in rescues.
He concocts a plan whereby the six pretend to be a Canadian film crew, making a sci-fi film called ARGO.
Great film. Tense, nice re-enactments, great acting from Bryan Cranston and John Goodman.

Chris Knipp
11-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Yes, ARGO was very popular at the time. I was glad for Affleck to have a triumph. But there was debate about the factuality aspects of this "true story" and complications in the falsified last 20 minutes, and the degree of credit and/or responsibility of Canada vs. the CIA. Here is the end of a page-long article, (https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/argo-opinion.aspx) "The Canadian-Less Caper: The Controversy Surrounding Oscar-winning film Argo" (date? current?):
"Affleck’s Oscar-winning film has played directly into perpetual English-Canadian insecurities about the country’s relationship with the US and about its lack of a clear and distinctive identity. These perpetual demons in the psyche of English-speaking Canadians means that Argo will not be preferred viewing for years to come." See the whole page for the details. In my 2012 review (https://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2221), I admitted to being surprised this was such a huge hit with the critics and to finding aspects of it a bit too "ultra-square" for me. I also pointed out it would play less well in Canada ("but not as badly as it will play in Iran").

Johann
11-02-2022, 04:25 PM
I felt that Canada was heroic enough in Argo, that we weren’t lacking in praise for helping in the clutch.
This is a movie and it won’t be 100% accurate anyway.
I was entertained. Affleck didn’t reinvent the wheel here.
But I suppose the Iranians being painted as villains would rankle…..

Johann
11-02-2022, 08:10 PM
HULK (2003)

I’ve written about this Ang Lee film here before. I’m one of its Champions.
This is a living comic book!
Ang took the entire of “Hulk Culture” and crammed it into this great movie.
Eric Bana is fine as Bruce Banner and Jennifer Connelly is great as Betty Ross.
Inspired casting with Sam Elliot as General Ross and Nick Nolte as Bruce’s disturbed father.
I loved the Frankenstein-ing of comic panels, flipping and merging images throughout.
When we finally see the Hulk, he definitely smashes… He destroys their lab.
From then on he’s hunted and chased. Great flick. I’m bewildered as to why people don’t like it.
Cameos with Stan Lee and Lou Ferigno.

Johann
11-02-2022, 10:41 PM
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008)

This is the Louis Letterier reboot, after Ang Lee’s movie got mixed reviews.
Ed Norton stars as Bruce Banner AND he had a large hand in writing the script.
The CGI for the ‘08 Hulk is better, and they tried to give homage to the Bixby TV series.
I don’t know which hulk film I like better-they both have strong points.
William Hurt and Liv Tyler are great as father & daughter.
But it’s Tim Roth as Abomination that really rocks: “Give me a Real Fight!!”
Another Lou Ferigno cameo too.

Johann
11-03-2022, 12:22 AM
ARBITRAGE (2012)

Directed by Nicolas Jarecki, this was an intriging thriller.
Richard Gere is the rock of the movie, great performance from him.
He’s a hedge fund magnate, and he’s a huge fraud. He’s also cheating on his wife (a great Susan Sarandon).
He falls asleep at the wheel one night, killing his mistress. He flees the scene and gets a ride home from the son of a friend who gets implicated in the homicide/coverup.
The rest of the movie is Gere in overdrive, doing everything to avoid the law.
Tim Roth shines as a detective on the case.

Chris Knipp
11-03-2022, 01:39 PM
Yes I too found it exciting and was pretty favorable in my review (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3349-ARBITRAGE-(Nicholas-Jarecki-2012)&p=28454#post28454) here at the time. I did rate MARGIN CALL a bit higher for reasons I give in that review.

Johann
11-03-2022, 04:04 PM
Good review! Yes, this was Jarecki's first film and it was slick and polished.

Johann
11-03-2022, 04:11 PM
UNBROKEN (2014)

Angelina Jolie produced and directed this WW2 drama and I was impressed.
Based on the true story of Louis "Louie" Zamperini, an Olympic runner turned airman who survived his bomber crashing into the ocean for 47 days. He was captured by the Japanese and sent to various POW camps. He survived multiple beatings and terrible conditions, only to be freed when Japan lost the war. The actors are all unknowns and they do their jobs admirably.
Jolie can really direct!
Inspiring story of survival against all odds.

Chris Knipp
11-03-2022, 04:51 PM
Nicolas Jarecki has brothers, Andrew Jarecki, Eugene Jarecki, Thomas A. Jarecki. Can you get them straight? I can't. But two of them made interesting documentaries, When you say ARBITRAGE was his first film... there's only been one since, nine years later.I did not see Angelinna's film, but Jack O'Connell is an excellent actor, from "SKins." And the must-see STARRED UP.

Johann
11-03-2022, 07:56 PM
UNBROKEN: PATH TO REDEMPTION (2018)

This is the sequel or companion piece to Angelina Jolie's film.
Directed by Harold Cronk, and starring all-new actors, this is the continuing story of Louie Zamperini, post WW2. We see him drinking alcohol, being angry/short-tempered, dealing with post-traumatic stress, getting back into running, helping sell war bonds and ultimately convert to Christianity after seeing a Billy Graham Crusade in 1949.

This is more sentimental or Hallmark card-ish than the original Unbroken. Not essential, but still a good watch.

Johann
11-05-2022, 06:49 PM
ASSASSIN'S CREED (2016)

I've never played the video games, but Assassin's Creed the movie rocks.
It's a medieval Matrix!!
Some heavyweight actors lift this into the realm of action/adventure cinema:
Marion Cotillard, Jeremy Irons, Michael Fassbender, Charlotte Rampling and Brendan Gleason.

The Knights Templar are searching for the Apple of Eden, but they are thwarted by the brotherhood of Assassins.
Great movie. I had a six pack with it and really enjoyed it.

Chris Knipp
11-05-2022, 10:48 PM
Justin Kurzel directed.
Generally unfavorable reviews. Metacritic rating (https://www.metacritic.com/movie/assassins-creed) 36% - in the RED ZONE .
Maybe if you'd watched it without the six-pack, it wouldn't have looked quite so great. The Glenn Kenny NYFimes (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/assassins-creed-review-michael-fassbender.html) review suggests the video game version is much better.
As articulated in video game form, the “Assassin’s Creed” saga is a knotty one that has taken players to revolutionary France, the Italian Renaissance and other historically significant eras. But the cramming of information into an average-length feature film only undermines it in this adaptation. I guess the big European stars were hired for the video game, which has tons of money, and they were carried over into the feature film offshoot.
Kenny writes:
Ms. Cotillard, Mr. Irons and several other distinguished thespians, including Charlotte Rampling and Michael K. Williams, mostly glower and intone dialogue like “I assured the elders we’d have the apple for London.” For an ostensible action movie, the cast spends an awful lot of time standing around and looking lost. I can only guess that they were following their director’s lead.

I just watched Brendan Gleeson with Colin Farrel in THE BANSHEES OF INISHIRIN. Now showing in theaters.

Johann
11-06-2022, 08:24 PM
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007)

Pretty much a perfect movie from the Coen brothers.
Josh Brolin stumbles upon a crime scene in 1980 West Texas; several men are dead (including their dog), a truck is loaded with heroin and he finds a briefcase with $2 million next to a dead man.
He takes his gun and the money, setting off a roller coaster ride because the money has a tracker in it.
Anton Chigurh is hired to track the money down, played by a ruthless and excellent Javier Bardem.
Tommy Lee Jones and Woody Harrelson provide solid support.
Brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins.
See it at all costs. You won't regret it.

Chris Knipp
11-06-2022, 09:06 PM
Perfect except not "theirs" because iti's a literary adaptation, from the text by Cormac McCarthy, and all their films were always their own original writing I think, and I think they have that reervation about it.

I wrote about it as part of my coverage of the 2007 New York Film Festival HERE (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2121-New-York-Film-Festival-2007). I wasn't giving release details then, but it was five months after the Cannes premiere. Nonetheless there was just as much excitement around the NYFF press screening, especially since I was a big fan of Cormac McCarthy and loved the book. I say something about that in my review. It's a fantastic book and these were only my 3rd NYFF. press screenings Is it a typical Cormac McCarthy book? No, because he had originally written it as a screenplay and it's simpler.

Johann
11-07-2022, 12:15 PM
I’ve never read Cormac McCarthy but I heard The Road was amazing.
The Coens can adapt, or do original stuff.
They’re real filmmmakers.

Chris Knipp
11-07-2022, 01:57 PM
All of Cormac McCarthy is amazing. Not just The Road. In fact I'd not put that near the top, personally.

I was mistaken and as you hint the Coen brothers have collaborated with other writers or simply done a few adaptations. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is the only one for which they were nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay.

TRUE GRIT - Charles Portis.
THE LADYKILLERS - William Rose.

The Coens have written a number of films they did not direct, including Angelina Jolie's biographical war drama Unbroken (2014), Steven Spielberg's historical cold war Bridge of Spies (2015), and lesser-known, commercially unsuccessful comedies such as Crimewave (1985), The Naked Man (1998) and Gambit (2012). Ethan is also a writer of short stories, theater and poetry.- Wikipedia, "The Coen Brothers.."

Johann
11-07-2022, 05:03 PM
The Beatles: GET BACK (2022)

Holy Moses, what a first part.
This is the Beatles, Undistilled, from 60 hours of video footage unearthed by Peter Jackson.
Jaw-dropping.
We see the Fab Four at Twickenham studios, rehearsing and laying down tracks for what was to become the LET IT BE album. Champagne to the editor, as he gives us a portrait like no other.

I was happy to be a fly on the wall for this.

Johann
11-08-2022, 04:01 PM
Part 2 wasn't as good as part 1, but still riveting.
We see the Fab Four rehearsing more, this time with Billy Preston.
George quit the band for a few days over Paul's domineering ways.
We don't get complete versions of songs here, they're all works in progress.
Peter Jackson chose to have a calendar onscreen, to show each day crossed off.
I have a musician friend who said it would be hard to work with Lennon, that his constant interrupting and little voices would annoy to no end. And John does seem frustrating/frustrated here. But it's not explained.
Yoko didn't break up the Beatles in my opinion. If any one person is responsible, it's Paul.
I think they were fracturing anyway; the break-up was going to happen no matter what.

Part 3 is the final rooftop concert on Savile row in it's entirety.
If you love the Beatles then this 3-disc blu-ray set is a must buy.

Johann
11-09-2022, 06:28 AM
It was interesting to see what takes of songs made it onto the Let It Be album.
It was also interesting to observe George Martin, who seemed unimpressed with the work, yet had zero control.
The "boys" were by then an untamed beast..

I loved the street-level interviews/capturings. One old man is asked if he'd let his daughter date a Beatle. "YES! They have money!" was the reply.
The editing of this film deserves an Oscar, no joke. And not just for the video- for the audio too. There was over 150 hours of audio to sift through.
A herculean task to whittle it down..
Peter Jackson and crew have done the world a great service.
A heartfelt thank you from this fan.

Johann
11-09-2022, 06:37 PM
HELL (2011)

This is a German/Swiss production directed by Tim Fehlbaum.
It's a post-apocalyptic horror flick, with the actual title of APOCALYPSE.
It's a fast watch, at 90 minutes.
The actors are all dubbed into English, and that feels weird, adding to the uncomfort of actually watching the movie.
The sun has increased the temperature on Earth by over ten degrees, scorching everything, laying waste to social structure, food and gas supplies.
We follow 3 characters who are doing their utmost to survive, trying to drive their beat-up Volvo to the mountains of Germany for water.
They get ambushed and taken to a farm where cannibals hunt humans for food.
You can guess the rest. haha
Disturbing movie but not that bad. I would recommend seeing it for something different.

Chris Knipp
11-09-2022, 07:49 PM
I missed this one. Don't think I ever heard of it.

Johann
11-09-2022, 09:29 PM
ANCHORMAN (2004)

Directed by Adam MacKay, this was a deceptive comedy.
I thought it was gonna suck really bad when it started, but then it became hilarious.
Will Ferrell stars as Ron Burgundy, a newsman in 1974 San Diego.
His goal is to be the main journalist/anchorman at his station.
Enter Christina Applegate, a savvy woman who has the exact same goal.
The laughs came quick after Will & Christina hook up (the "Take me to Pleasure Town" sequence was a riot).
Ron's pals are a hoot (Steve Carrell & Paul Rudd) and I loved it when they all sang "Afternoon Delight" a-capella.
Jack Black has a funny cameo- he gets hit by a flying burrito from Ron's car, crashing his motorcycle on a bridge,
then proceeding to kick Ron's dog over the bridge.
The gang fight between all the competing stations was outrageous and hilarious too.
The plot is the silliest thing ever, but you know that going in. Thumbs up for Anchorman. It had me laughing.

Johann
11-10-2022, 01:50 PM
ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES (2013)

The cast and director are back, and so are the laughs.
However the jokes are more crude, more offensive and edgy than the first film.
Ron and his pals are back, this time going National in New York City.
They get back together to work at GNN, a 24-hour news station.
There are funny moments, but they're fewer than before.
I liked when Ron's Winnebago rolled on the highway and love the banter between all characters.
Sexual humour again too- the sequence of interracial sex was a howl.
The cameos are plentiful this time around: Sacha Baron Cohen, Will Smith, Jim Carrey, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Liam Neeson and Vince Vaughn again.

Johann
11-12-2022, 10:05 AM
THE TOURNAMENT (2009)

This was one of the best action movies I've ever seen.
Super-rich elites have a gambling game they like to play: watching hired killers and super-assassins kill each other systematically until there's only one left alive. "The Tournament"
takes place every seven years, with contestants volunteering to be tracked and be lethal to the extreme. There's big money involved- the winner takes home ten million and the title of "World's Deadliest".
Starring Ving Rhames, Kelly Hu and Robert Carlyle, this was literally non-stop action.
And it looks like they did it with very little money!
Tarantino would love it.
Big thumbs up. Directed by Scott Mann

Johann
11-12-2022, 07:31 PM
ALLIED (2016)

I really enjoyed Allied, a Robert Zemeckis war thriller.
Brad Pitt is Max, a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force with intelligence assignments.
He is paired up with Marion Cotillard to assassinate a German Ambassador in Casablanca.
She is a French Resistance fighter, and Max falls for her. And that is dangerous in their line of work...
They get married and have a daughter, Anna, who was born during a bombing raid on London.
Long story short, the authorites suspect Marion is a German spy, who adopted the persona of a French resistance fighter. They inform Max he will have to leave some intelligence for her to find, and see if she uses it. If she does, she will be executed. He is ordered not to conduct his own investigation, which he ignores...
Great movie.
I was wondering how it was gonna end and I was very happy. It was an ending with closure.

Johann
11-13-2022, 07:19 PM
THE CIRCLE (2017)

This was a lukewarm thriller.
Emma Watson stars as Mae Holland, a call center worker who lands a job at tech giant THE CIRCLE, a clear imitation of Facebook. Tom Hanks is the CEO, and he introduces camera tech called "SeeChange"- whereby people wear a small camera 24/7, broadcasting their entire lives in real time. This is welcomed and scorned.
After Mae steals a kayak and is caught on camera, she volunteers to be the first employee at the Circle to wear the camera. She is credited with changing the world, even tho she has zero privacy. The Circle is progressive, they want 100% of the people to vote in America and are working to facilitate that. They also want to find lost or obscure people, criminals or family members alike. This is where the drama comes in, as Mae's reclusive friend Mercer is traced and tracked to his home via drones, and he flees, being chased all the way to his death on a bridge when he crashes.
This movie makes you think about privacy and how "on camera" we all are.
I don't think I'd watch it again.

Johann
11-13-2022, 09:27 PM
SUPERFLY (2018)

This was a modern "remix" of the blaxploitation classic, directed by Director X.
We are taken to cocaine town, drug dealing at all levels in Atlanta, Georgia.
The main character is dealer "Priest", a young black man with a wild hairdo.
Priest wants one final huge score, to be set for life, to not deal with rivals and two-timers anymore. He gets it, in the form of a Mexican cartel.
There's guns, nudity, violence and drugs drugs drugs...We are witnesses to dirty cops, backroom deals, murders and all around unsavoury shit. There is no one to root for, no one to care about. They are all involved in high stakes crimes and misdemeanors.
Good rap soundtrack, but hollow movie overall.

Johann
03-01-2023, 02:24 PM
More blu ray thumbnails to come…

Johann
03-01-2023, 05:29 PM
THE HOBBIT: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Peter Jackson returned to the world of LORD OF THE RINGS with the Hobbit trilogy, and the first part is fine fantasy filmmaking. This time the focus is on Bilbo Baggins, 60 years previous to the Fellowship of the Ring.
He’s writing his memoirs for Frodo, and his adventures are just as harrowing as Frodo’s.
CGI aplenty here, and Gandalf returns and figures prominently.
There are other familiar faces: Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett and the animated Gollum. (Andy Serkis).
I enjoyed this movie.
It’s long but doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Johann
03-02-2023, 06:12 PM
THE HOBBIT: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

I have to admit, Tolkien's story and characters bamboozle me. So many wild names and places...
That said, this part of THE HOBBIT was way better than the first.
This was an amazing entertainment. If the giant spiders sequence doesn't impress you, then the dragon Smaug will. That dragon really steals the show. Smaug speaks english (?) and is rendered better than the dragons in Harry Potter.
Orlando Bloom reprises his role as Legolas, and the elves figure prominently.
Gandalf still has his role, as do all the dwarves accompanying Bilbo.
This film looks so magnificent on blu-ray it's crazy. It was filmed in 3-D, and I'm sure seeing it that way would be optimal.
I have nothing but praise. I was wowed. Peter Jackson's passion is clearly evident.

Johann
03-04-2023, 02:54 PM
THE HOBBIT: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

The final part of The Hobbit is epic indeed.
The opening sequence is spectacular, involving Smaug wreaking havoc and being killed.
Bravo to Peter Jackson and his creative teams for having the vision and wherewithal to actually make these amazing films. He really achieved greatness here, as he did with the LOTR trilogy.
For all the swordplay, war and violence onscreen there is very little blood.
The good guys win in the end, but not before facing formidible enemies and taking heavy losses.
Legolas really gets to do some Heroic stuff, and the dwarves prove their mettle...
Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett are back, and so is a great Christopher Lee.
Excellent movie.
I get my fantasy fix from Harry Potter, so I won't be buying these on blu-ray but they come highly recommended.

Johann
03-05-2023, 12:46 PM
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

I could see how someone could make the case that this is a bad movie, even a bad fairy tale.
I personally think it's a masterpiece. I should already own this on blu-ray but I don't.
I'm waiting for the Criterion version.
Steven Spielberg (saviour of cinema that he is) thankfully made this in tribute to his friend Stanley Kubrick.
It tells us the odyssey of a robot child, in a world where humans and machines are on the brink of civil war.
It looks gorgeous on blu-ray and it's my favorite Spielberg.
Dazzling vision, unique sfx and sets, and solid acting from all involved.
I think Stanley would have been pleased, as Steven used the bulk of his original screenplay and added hundreds of accentuations.
Odd film in Spielberg's canon, a one-off, like Minority Report. I love it and always will.
There's enough Kubrick in it to feel the Master.

Johann
03-05-2023, 03:55 PM
HERCULES (2014)

This was a nice surprise. I didn't have much faith in this when I saw the dvd cover, but it was surprisingly good, starring The Rock, Dwayne Johnson.
It turned out to be a decent epic.
Directed by Brett Ratner (Rush Hour), this was the exploits of half man/half god Son of Zeus.
Good battle scenes and CGI coupled with great supporting acting from the great John Hurt, Ian McShane and Joseph Fiennes make this very entertaining.
The Rock is a tad wooden, but he looks the part and he's believable as Hercules.

Johann
03-06-2023, 02:01 PM
WINDTALKERS (2002)

Excellent war film from John Woo.
In WW2 the Americans secured victory on Saipan with help from Navajo radio code breakers.
Their code was never broken, and they called themselves "windtalkers".
Nicolas Cage is Sgt. Joe Enders, in charge of two such Najavo radio men.
We see them in action in very realistic and intense battle scenes- I was impressed.
A young Mark Ruffalo is also part of Enders' Marine squad.
Highly recommended movie based on true events.

Johann
03-07-2023, 12:08 PM
LORD OF WAR (2005)

Andrew Nicchol directs Nicolas Cage and Jared Leto in this wild movie about the arms trade.
I can't say I endorse anything onscreen, but it highlights the truth.
Weapons deals happen every day, and the five countries that are tops in weapons dealing are the top five permanent members of the security council! Fact.
AK-47's, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, Uzi's, M16's, bombs and rockets and bullets are all for sale here, coupled with copious amounts of cocaine.
Crazy movie. Well made, well performed.

Johann
03-07-2023, 03:09 PM
DELIVERANCE (1972)

This was an outstanding classic film that everybody should see at least once.
4 friends (Burt Reynolds, Ronny Cox, Jon Voight and Ned Beatty) go on a camping/canoe adventure in the South. Everything is kosher until they run into a couple gay hillbillies who threaten to rape and kill them. Getting out/back to safety then becomes their priority.
Beautiful direction from John Boorman, with nice cinematograhy/shots of the great outdoors.
Highly recommended.

Johann
03-08-2023, 03:18 PM
SHOOT EM UP (2007)

A wild and wooly actioner that lives up to it's title.
Directed by Michael Davis, this is a lighthearted guns a-blazing extravaganza.
Clive Owen and the gorgeous Monica Belluci battle Paul Giamatti and an army of baddies, all in the name of protecting a newborn baby from a slain mother.
The gunplay is insane, and there's plenty of blood and gore.
It's thrilling to see crazy action scenes with Motorhead's Ace of Spades, the White Stripes and Nirvana.
Motley Crue play over the excellent end credits.
Shot in L.A. and Toronto- I recognized shots in downtown T.O.
Recommended for a good time- very satisfying movie. Clive is as ingenious as Rambo.

Johann
03-09-2023, 04:21 PM
THE BAD LIEUTENANT: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)

Werner Herzog once again proves he can make a seriously compelling dramatic film just as easily as a documentary. Here he directs Nicolas Cage as Terence McDonagh, a police sgt. in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans.
McDonagh is corrupt as fuck, and it all flies above the radar of his superiors.
In fact he's promoted twice in the film!
Eva Mendes plays his drug-addled girlfriend and Val Kilmer provides solid support as a fellow cop. Outstanding cinematography is used to tell this story, which covers a lot of landscapes in New Orleans- including gators and iguanas. Michael Shannon also has a small role.
Cage's character steals drugs, does cocaine, crack, weed and anything else he can get his hands on, especially heroin. He's high-functioning alright, and you can hardly believe what he gets away with.
Top-notch film.

Johann
03-11-2023, 01:54 PM
MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (2016)

After Batman, this may be my favorite Tim Burton film.
This is the weird time loop story of gifted children in 1943, under the care of Miss Peregrine (Eva Green).
Asa Butterfield plays Jake, grandson of Terence Stamp, who he finds in a field outside his house with no eyes (?) and dying. Before expiring, he tells Jake what to do, leading him to Wales with his father. There he finds the old bombed-out home that once belonged to Peregrine. He goes inside, and finds apparitions- or are they?
From then on this movie becomes a kaleidoscope of macabre set pieces, all revolving around the 24-hour time loop the children and Peregrine are in. Visually spectacular, I really enjoyed this movie, even tho the ending is a bit rushed. Also starring Judi Dench & Samuel L. Jackson.

Johann
03-11-2023, 04:02 PM
DARK CITY (1998)

One of the best sci-fi films ever made.
This was dark indeed- no sun shines on this city.
Rufus Sewell plays John Murdoch, an amnesiac who's suspected of murder.
Kiefer Sutherland plays his bizarre psychiatrist, who's chased and tormented by the "Strangers", pale-skinned baddies who wear fedoras. The strangers can alter memories and landscapes, claiming their methods take several lifetimes to master.
This was a mind-bending trip, no different from an LSD trip.
It's a cult classic, and Roger Ebert championed it early on, even doing audio commentary for the blu-ray.
Jennifer Connelly is luminous, and William Hurt provides stellar support.
A must-see from director Alex Proyas.

Johann
03-11-2023, 08:42 PM
STOKER (2013)

From the director of OLDBOY comes this chilling thriller.
Nicole Kidman stars as Evelyn Stoker, indifferent mother of India (Mia Wachowski).
India is young and sullen, and when her uncle Charles arrives on the scene after her father's death, things get creepy, eerie, horrifying and bone chilling.
I won't spoil anything- see for yourself how one man destroys lives in a soulless way, building up to an ending you won't see coming. Disturbing yet great movie. Exquisite cinematography and editing.

Johann
03-13-2023, 06:06 PM
LUCY (2014)

Written and directed by Luc Besson, this sci-fi actioner may be his best work.
Scarlett Johansson stars as Lucy, a young woman inadvertantly caught up in a synthetic drug scam.
The film opens with her boyfriend making her a drug mule, witnessing his death.
He handcuffs her to a briefcase filled with a weird blue synthetic drug. From then on she's at war with Mr. Jang and his small army of baddies. Jang sews a pouch of the drug into her stomach, and it eventually enters her bloodstream, giving her enhanced physical and mental abilities.
This movie makes you wonder about the myth of brain capacity, how we only use a fraction of our mind. There are some brilliant/spectacular special effects shots here, especially at the end.
Lucy is able to time travel at will, and even goes back in time to witness the big bang!
Thoroughly entertaining flick, with lots of gunplay, blood and incredible sfx. Also starring Morgan Freeman.

Johann
03-15-2023, 02:26 PM
SLOW WEST (2015)

Great neo-western by John Maclean.
Michael Fassbender stars as a bounty hunter named Silas Selleck. He encounters a young Scottish man named Jay Cavendish who is roaming the prairies alone, looking for his lost love Rose.
Jay pays Silas to escort him west, unaware that there's a bounty out there for Rose and her father, which Silas plans to claim, using Jay.
Excellent evocative cinematography- this was compared to Roger Deakins work with the Coen bros.
Low budget, shot in New Zealand, this one's a winner. It won a prize at Sundance.

Johann
03-16-2023, 03:14 PM
MEN IN BLACK: INTERNATIONAL |(2019)

Was this movie needed? I don't think so.
F. Gary Gray directs Chris Hemsworth and newcomer Tessa Thompson as MIB Agents H and M, working out of the UK branch.
A totally convoluted plot revolving around rooting out a mole in the organization was mighty tiresome. The sfx were serviceable, but it just rang so hollow. No Tommy Lee Jones or Will Smith here. This movie had zero laughs, while trying to be hilarious.
Which reminds me of another sci-fi movie that isn't even worth reviewing: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL with Keaunu Reeves. Boring as hell.

Chris Knipp
03-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Men in Black are past their expiry date then.
Keanu has loyal fans. We may not be among them.

Johann
03-17-2023, 02:19 PM
The first Men in Black was a nice novelty film. Sequels weren't needed.
Keanu is a decent actor, but I'm not his biggest fan. John Wick is the only blu-ray of his I own. John lent me 47 Ronin, and I'll thumbnail that one soon.
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL might be Keanu's worst film. The best thing about it was Jennifer Connelly. She did the best she could with what she was given...The blu-ray came with the 1951 film with Michael Rennie as a bonus. It was cheesy, but better than the modern remake!

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 07:50 AM
Agreed. Keanu has loyal fans for John Wick and seems to do a good job. I watched one but it was not for me.
By the way, I just tried to send you an email via your Yahoo.ca address, has it changed? It seems to have bounced back.

Johann
03-18-2023, 08:14 AM
I don't use e-mail anymore. If you want to get a hold of me, facebook messenger is best.

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 09:54 AM
I see, okay, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 09:59 AM
I sent the email to you there instead.

Johann
03-18-2023, 03:34 PM
THE INVASION (2007)

Tepid horror movie loosely based on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
Directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel and starring Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig.
An alien virus creates a pandemic, whereby people's DNA is altered to turn them into quasi-zombies. Nicole Kidman basically runs around, panic-stricken, crying and shrieking, trying to protect her child. Jeffrey Wright also stars, and despite the acting talent this movie doesn't really go anywhere. There's maybe two legit scares in the whole film. The ending was ridiculous too; after being helicopter evacuated from a swarm of zombies, life is supposedly back to normal, with no further mention of them except in a news scrum with Wright. (?) Its left open to a sequel.

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 04:04 PM
A shame. I admire Jeffrey Wright. I loved him in BASQUIAT. A charming picture of the Eighties art scene. I recommend it.
Check your Facebook.
I sent you a message that I tried to send as an email.

Johann
03-18-2023, 04:57 PM
BASQUIAT is a fantastic film.
NO FB message received....

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 05:29 PM
I'll have to find your new account. How did you change them? Is it like Amazon?
I see you did find my message. When I found your name on FB, the old account came up, apparently. Thank you for your support. I have no plans of retirement from reviewing. Watching movies is what I like to do! Some of us who traveled regularly have found it hard to get back into the groove after the shutdown periods from Covid. People didn't want to wear a mask for hours. Now very few do.
Glad you like BASQUIAT - so brilliant, funny, and accurate, and about a very exciting time in contemporary art.

Johann
03-18-2023, 08:36 PM
Masks are a pain in the ass, but necessary.
BASQUIAT was a brilliant film about a brilliant artist. His paintings fetch a fortune.

Indeed never stop reviewing movies!! You're the go-to for many of us!

Chris Knipp
03-18-2023, 08:48 PM
People are not wearing masks much anymore. I don't know about Canada. The infection rate is greatly reduced, but still someone said, 7% in NYC, whatever that means. Maybe less, maybe 3%, and decreasing. They wear them more in the San Francisco Bay Area than elsewhere in the US, apparently. Very little in NYC.
I have books about Basquiat. I am a fan. Indeed his paintings do fetch a fortune. My fascination with him goes back 35 years. His genius is unique and a mystery.

Johann
03-19-2023, 02:33 PM
NON-STOP (2014)

A great thriller from Jaume Collet-Serra. (UNKNOWN).
Liam Neeson does what he does best, making great action movies.
Here he plays Bill Marks, an alcoholic Federal Air Marshal.
He boards a transatlantic flight and soon after gets cryptic messages over his secure federal account, demanding $150 million or people onboard will die.
The twists and turns are fast and furious, with Bill killing a fellow air marshall, finding a bomb, the pilot mysteriously dying and all sorts of other dire scenarios.
Riveting movie, not a dull moment.
Co-starring Julianne Moore as a passenger who stands by Bill.

Johann
03-19-2023, 05:00 PM
47 RONIN (2014)

I enjoyed this film from Carl Rinsch; lots to admire visually. The story isn't particularly engaging. I forgave that in lieu of splendid costumes and powerful production design.
47 Samurai are banished to be Ronin, only to be led by a half-breed (Keanu Reeves).
Reeves is Kai, a formidible fighter that the samurai treat well even tho he's not one of them.
He's the only "name" actor in this movie, and I couldn't help but wonder what the Japanese think of this film. All english? With a white leader?! Just like the Last Samurai with Tom Cruise!

Johann
03-19-2023, 07:33 PM
ENDER'S GAME (2013)

Gavin Hood adapted and directed this sci-fi spectacle, originally written by Orson Scott Card.
Visually it's amazing but the story bites off more than it can chew.
Keep your eyes on Asa Butterfield- he impresses as a gifted kid/cadet who's recruited by Harrison Ford to train for a future alien war. For a young man, Asa can really act his butt off. He's totally believable as "Ender" Wiggins. He's a leader with a conscience.
Ben Kingsley also lends great weight to this busy movie.
The real star of the show is the special effects, and I recommend it for that alone.
I wish I could've seen this on the big screen- it was like Star Trek for kids.

Johann
03-20-2023, 01:25 PM
SNOWPIERCER (2013)

This was an original take on the post-apocalyptic thriller by Korean Bong Joon-Ho.
The earth has become a giant snowball due to climate change, and a train carrying the last remnants of humanity hurtles down a track that circles the globe. The third class or steerage passengers want to revolt, led by Chris Evans.
The elites are at the front of the train, including Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris.
John Hurt is in the rear with the gear...
I appreciated the original concepts, but ultimately the movie bored me.
I don't plan on seeing it again.

Johann
03-22-2023, 02:27 PM
RED EYE (2005)

Directed by Wes Craven, this was a mildly entertaining thriller.
Rachel McAdams stars as a rape survivor who works at a Miami hotel.
She meets Cillian Murphy at the airport in Dallas, while waiting for her flight home.
He seems charming, and they share a drink at the bar. She's surprised to learn he's seated next to her on the plane, and he quickly turns into a sinister S.O.B.
He's involved in a plot to assassinate Homeland Security's top man, who happens to be staying at Rachel's hotel. This movie is tense, but not as entertaining as a similar film- Non-Stop with Liam Neeson. I can't say I cared about all the drama.

Johann
03-22-2023, 09:19 PM
EX MACHINA (2014)

Helmed by Alex Garland, this won an Oscar for best visual effects.
Domhnall Gleason plays Caleb Smith, a programmer at search engine "Blue Book".
He wins a contest to visit the CEO at his swank home/retreat in the mountains.
The CEO is Oscar Isaac (great actor!), and he's a narcissist who likes to drink.
Caleb is introduced to a high-tech A.I. robot named Ava, we're told he's there to test her consciousness capabilities, but the CEO has other plans...
I thought Ghost in the Shell was THE A.I. movie....Nope.
It's EX MACHINA.
Ava's abilities are astounding, and she behaves exactly like a real human.
She's been compared to Frankenstein and HAL from 2001 by various reviewers.
I say she's amazing, and her responses are more human than anyone could hope for.
Great movie that sustains as an intellectual thriller until the end, when it becomes a slasher.

Johann
03-23-2023, 03:39 PM
UNFORGIVEN (1992)

"I'm here to kill you Little Bill. For what you did to Ned".

Clint Eastwood's masterpiece.
See it at all costs. It's the story of a farmer with a bad past who does one more killing job for money.
This won 4 Oscars, including best picture and director and supporting actor for Gene Hackman.
Hackman is thoroughly loathsome as Sherriff "Little Bill" Daggett.
Morgan Freeman shines as Ned, Eastwood's pal. And even the guy who plays the Schofield Kid is great.
One of the best westerns you'll ever see.

Johann
03-23-2023, 07:06 PM
TAKERS (2010)

One of the best heist films you'll ever see.
A group of professional bank robbers pull off spectacular robberies- the opening one is great, the last one unbelievable.
Idris Elba is the leader, and they make a hasty plan with "Ghost", an ex-con to pull off a major heist involving C-4 and armoured trucks. Problem is Ghost involves too many people, including the russian mob. The heist gets pulled off, but not without hitches; 2 LAPD cops are on their trail and the russians are seriously pissed off, leading to a bombastic (slow-motion!) shootout at the Roosevelt Hotel.
Of note is a really exciting hot pursuit chase of Chris Brown- very well shot and edited!
Well worth your time.
I'd never heard of this film until today.

Chris Knipp
03-23-2023, 07:17 PM
I'm glad you liked it. I went to it for the cast which included Hayden Christensen, Matt Dillon. It didn't get particularly good reviews at the time, to put it mildly: Metascroe 45%.

Johann
03-23-2023, 08:59 PM
It was great. Hayden Christensen proves he can do more than play a Jedi. Matt Dillon is the big star cop, and what happens to him at the end surprised me- the movie did not end the way I thought it would!

Johann
03-23-2023, 09:09 PM
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2014)

This is a marvellous comedy from the great Wes Anderson.
F. Murray Abraham stars and narrates his version of the history of the GB hotel.
Ralph Fiennes is Mr. Gustave, the effete and weird concierge (?), and we get a hilarious and quirky cavalcade of episodes he's involved in.
This film is impeccably shot, with neat camera tricks and perfect compositions- it looks like a trillion bucks on blu-ray. Wes Anderson is a singular genius, nobody makes a movie like him.
His films have the same consciousness as Kubrick had, and the editing is fast-paced. It may bowl a viewer over.
Plenty of stars here: Jude Law, Ed Norton, Willem Dafoe, Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum and Adrien Brody.
Can't recommend it enough.

Johann
03-24-2023, 04:33 PM
CONTACT (1997)

An interesting film that fictionalizes making first contact with alien intelligence.
Jodie Foster stars as Ellie, a gifted woman who monitors radio emissions in Puerto Rico.
Her small team makes first contact and records it, which has an embedded video clip of Adolph Hitler's speech at the 1936 Berlin Games.
Matthew McConaughey is the love interest, a "Man of the Cloth without the cloth", and he serves as the moral compass, because Ellie doesn't believe in God.
Long story short, she's selected to travel light years in a gimballed machine financed by the great John Hurt.
Thought-provoking movie based on Carl Sagan's book of the same name.

Johann
03-24-2023, 06:39 PM
PHANTOM THREAD (2017)

Suave masterpiece from P.T. Anderson.
Daniel Day-Lewis plays Woodcock, a famous dress maker/designer in 1950's London.
He never married, and he meets his muse, Alma, who is working as a waitress.
He's got exacting standards and can be gruff and rude. He resists the love from Alma
And she ultimately poisons him. Twice.
Beautifully shot on film and impeccably acted, it proves Anderson can do anything.

Johann
03-24-2023, 08:42 PM
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (2013)

The Coen bros. gave Oscar Isaac his big break.
This movie is great, but kinda bleak. It's one week in the life of Llewyn Davis, singer/songwriter in 1961.
All songs are performed live, and The Village in NYC is the place to be.
Llewyn has a record recorded, but it isn't selling. He's sleeping on friends' couches, aimlessly making his way.
The Coens admitted that the film has no plot, hence them adding scenes with the cat...
This won the Grand Prix at Cannes and I enjoyed the music.
Also starring Carey Mulligan, Adam Driver, Justin Timberlake and John Goodman.

Chris Knipp
03-24-2023, 10:39 PM
http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/isaac.jpg
OSCAR ISAAC IN THE COEN BROTHERS' INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

This was featured at the 2013 NYFF, which I covered for Filmleaf. Find it HERE (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3583-New-York-Film-Festival-2013). The photo above and caption are from that coverage.
It certainly did put Oscar Isaac on the map (but who really knows him now?) and it was exciting to have the Coen bros. at the press screening. But it's their most blah movie, isn't it? Imagine it winning a big prize at Cannes! The French see something I don't see. I wrote then "beware -- it's a head-scratcher and a bit of a downer, despite its mild manner." Loosely based on Dave von Ronk. But this was when Bob Dylan was living on West Fourth Street in the Village, which I've just been reading about. I'd rather see something about him.

Johann
03-24-2023, 11:08 PM
You were right. It is a downer. It was criticized for deadening the liveliness of the Village back then.
It was a much happier time and place.
I agree a movie about Dylan's time there would be better.
I'm not jazzed to see it again but it was worth a one-time watch.

Johann
03-25-2023, 06:17 PM
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (2017)

Excellent film with wild twists and turns from Martin McDonough.
Frances McDormand stars as a grieving mother to a daughter who was raped and murdered.
She's frustrated with the police over the lack of an arrest, and she puts up incendiary ads on 3 dilapidated billboards to express her outrage.
The police chief is Woody Harrelson, and he says the billboards are unfair, that there's been no break in the case. The townsfolk seemingly side with the Chief, who also is dying of cancer.
In a wild twist, he commits suicide and leaves notes, saying he paid for the next month for the billboards to be up. There's another angle with a corrupt cop named Jason Dixon, who changes his ways after a series of unfortunate events.
Crazy movie with totally surprising plot twists- the ending is unexpected for sure.

Chris Knipp
03-25-2023, 08:33 PM
Martin McDonagh made his name originally as a playwright and I'm not as convinced by his movies, also not a fan of Frances. I felt he was out of his element here doing a story set outside the UK.

Johann
03-26-2023, 08:00 AM
I would never have known he was British-seemed like a U.S. production all the way.
I loved the twists and turns. If a movie is so unpredictable that I can’t see things coming, I’m all for it.

Chris Knipp
03-26-2023, 08:27 AM
But you're not American. To me it rang false. He is English-born Irish. I guess I'm an outlander. But to me his plays are far better than his films. People love IN BRUGES. I thought A BEHANDING IN SPOKANE rang false when I saw it too, due to the American setting. You can't just change cultures like turning a switch. (Maybe in absurdist drama, you can.)

He started his career in the Royal National Theatre with The Pillowman in 2003. He has since written many plays which have been produced on the West End and on Broadway. His acclaimed plays include The Beauty Queen of Leenane (1996), The Cripple of Inishmaan (1996), The Lonesome West (1997), The Lieutenant of Inishmore (2001), A Behanding in Spokane (2010), and Hangmen (2015).

The first thing I saw was THE LIEUTENANT OF INNISHMORE in London with an English friend attuned to what's going on in the theater. THE PILLOWMAN seems a lot more serious. It's a different kind of thing.

THE PILLOWMAN is brilliant. I saw it on Broadway back then. He's had a hard time maintaining the level of his early plays in what's come later. That's my two cents. He's talented. I'll grant you that. And for me to debunk is films when he got the Oscar for best live action short film in 2004 is going against the facts.

Johann
03-26-2023, 03:49 PM
I’d never heard of him.
The acting won Oscars, and his short film SIX SHOOTER is a bonus on the blu-ray.
It stars Brendan Gleason and I didn’t find it that great.

Chris Knipp
03-26-2023, 04:25 PM
You'll hear of him now.

Johann
03-27-2023, 05:14 PM
I suffered through three of the new JJ Abrams STAR TREK movies.
They were terrible. Not even worth reviewing.

Johann
03-28-2023, 05:10 PM
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (2008)

Enjoyable movie in the vein of The Goonies from Eric Brevig.
Starring Brendan Fraser, this is loosely based on the Jules Verne novel.
Fraser and a kid travel to Iceland, to follow in their relatives' past work at a volcano.
They meet an Icelandic woman who escorts them there when a storm hits and seals them in an old abandoned mineshaft.
From there, they free-fall to the Center of the earth, encountering luminous birds, venus flytraps, and dinosaurs.
Implausible but fun movie.

Chris Knipp
03-28-2023, 06:27 PM
So now you must watch THE WHALE?!

Johann
03-28-2023, 06:39 PM
I'll see it sometime.
It's Aronofsky, and he said he wanted to get back to working with actors more deeply.
It garnered gold for Brendan.

Johann
04-01-2023, 02:11 PM
TOP GUN: MAVERICK (2022)

If you were a fan of the '86 movie you'll love this sequel.
Myself, I didn't find it all that great, despite superb aerial photography.
It was nice to see Val Kilmer back (as Iceman), and they gave him an onscreen funeral!!
The story is simple. Maverick is a hotshot test pilot, and they get him to teach a new batch of aviators. The opening credits were a throwback to the original film, making all the gen-X'ers happy...not to mention the shirtless game of offence/defence football we see in the surf later on.
Fast editing of the scenes in jets, thrilling for some, meh for me. It just seemed like a video game to me. Jennifer Connelly is good, and Tom Cruise is looking his age.

Chris Knipp
04-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Again I completely agree. I didn't review it - not much to say - but did see it in a theater. Why it was mentioned so much at Oscars time I didn't quite see.

Johann
04-01-2023, 04:25 PM
Nothing oscar-worthy about it.
It made over a billion at the box office. Mind-boggling.
Was covid keeping people from the theatres?
This film was hyped pretty large, and I don't see much to write home about.

Johann
04-01-2023, 06:31 PM
JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION (2022)

Are people still thrilled by dinosaur attacks? They must be, cuz they keep making these movies.
This movie has no plot. Dinosaurs run amok everywhere. And these dinos are real keen on chases.
They can outrun motorcycles! They can jump between buildings!
Almost nothing can hold them back, and the silly chases here are almost non-stop.
There's too many characters in the movie too- you don't care about any of them!
Stalwarts Howard and Pratt are here, along with veterans Dern, Neill & Goldblum.
Kids may like this, adults may tune out.

Johann
04-02-2023, 08:21 PM
GET SMART (2008)

One of the worst movies ever made. All involved should be ashamed.
Directed by garbage man Peter Segal of Adam Sandler shit-movie fame.
There is not one single funny thing in this movie.
I was expecting big laughs- it's got Steve Carell.
Nada. It was just cringe worthy dialogue and cringe worthy stunts.
I was thinking this might be good, a spy spoof! Great!
Based on a classic TV show! Great!
So then what was this shit sandwich?
What is it with spy spoofs sucking?
Mellissa McCarthy's SPY BLEW CHUNKS TOO.

Johann
04-03-2023, 12:43 PM
NORM OF THE NORTH (2016)

Bloody awful animated film that tries to cash in on Ice Age's fame.
Norm is a polar bear voiced by Rob Schneider who can talk to humans.
This movie is condescending. It insults your intelligence and is lazy.
Even kids should hate it.
Why do we need to see a twerking polar bear?!

Johann
04-03-2023, 06:05 PM
MULAN(2020)

I’ve never seen the ‘98 animated Disney film so I can’t compare, but Live action version is pretty good.
This film had the misfortune of being ready in March, 2020-right when the pandemic hit. Disney lost a lot of money and it’s unfair, because the film is visually gorgeous.
MULAN is the daughter of a famous Chinese warrior, and she goes into an Imperial conscripted army, pretending to be a man.
I seriously find no fault with it.

Chris Knipp
04-03-2023, 06:19 PM
Okay, thanks, Ii'll keep an eye out for it.

Johann
04-04-2023, 01:35 PM
AEON FLUX (2005)

Karyn Kusama’s futuristic film about the last city and an underground operative named Aeon is not that interesting.
I remember the anime being much more exciting and visceral.
Charlize Theron is the emotionless Aeon Flux, fighting her way thru oppressive situations.
It looks ok- they had some vision for the production design and costumes and weapons.
The problem is a lot happens and we’re not engaged…

Chris Knipp
04-04-2023, 03:26 PM
Metacritic rating 36%!
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/aon-flux

Johann
04-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Accurate.
This film is bad. It lacks coherence!

Johann
04-07-2023, 02:34 PM
ROBIN HOOD (2018)

Directed by Otto Bathurst and produced by Leonardo DiCaprio, this was a rousing tale.
Lots of action, with Taron Egerton in the lead role.
Jamie Foxx is fantastic as Little John and Ben Mendelsohn is deliciously wicked as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Thoroughly enjoyable new take on the Robin Hood legend- it may even be better than Ridley Scott's version. That's up to you to decide. I love both versions and recommend them.

Chris Knipp
04-07-2023, 07:50 PM
I don't think I had heard of this but the cast looks good.
More something I enjoyed when I was 12 though.

Johann
04-07-2023, 09:05 PM
It's an actioner for all ages. NO blood.
Lots of swash is buckled.

Johann
04-08-2023, 01:58 PM
THE WOLFMAN (2010)

I can't believe that this was a box office bomb.
Loved it.
Joe Johnson directs Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving in this gothic atmospheric film.
It won a well deserved Oscar for best makeup. The creature is rendered extremely well.
The movie really takes off after Benicio is attacked by the werewolf.
Two thumbs up!

Chris Knipp
04-08-2023, 05:54 PM
Probably many enjoyed it and will do. But look at Metacritic (https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-wolfman) (as I do) and you'll glimpse why critics didn't, finding it a "totally unnecessary remake", contains "little genuine human emotion," and off-puttingly "races through its opening scenes," despite good points such as makeup, for a score of 43% but ratings at the top of 75 and 63; nothing higher. It may also be though that the horror genre lacks caché despite its current appeal.

Johann
04-13-2023, 12:48 PM
12 MONKEYS (1995)

I remember seeing this when it first came out, and then I had no clue about what it was about- couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Seeing it in 2023 with crystal clear clarity didn't help much.
What a weird, bizarre, and POINTLESS movie.
Terry Gilliam is widely regarded as a genius, and he is, but this is his turd. I don't know how this got green lit.
Brad Pitt was praised for his performance as a mental patient, but to me he was just stupid.
Bruce Willis is lost in oz here, ping-ponging between the present and the future.
The script is really bad.
What's baffling is that this was supposedly inspired by Chris Marker's La Jetee- I just don't see how or why.
Terrible movie in my opinion. A virus wipes out billions and the survivors go underground.
A gang or group called the 12 MONKEYS claims credit. Beyond that, I didn't care about the plot.
I don't like aimless, pointless movies. This was compared to Blade Runner, but they are two totally different films.

Chris Knipp
04-13-2023, 02:30 PM
But is it really meaningless or just convoluted and nutty? I remember this title and the debt to La Jetée, but can't remember the details. Will have to look into it. Very widely reviewed. Ebert wrote: "What the movie is really about is its vision." That may be it.

Johann
04-13-2023, 04:14 PM
It's meaningless. It has nothing to say about pandemics, time travel or human nature.
It just goes from one dumb scene to another.
Supposedly the LA JETEE influence is based on characters pre-seeing their deaths, but that's lost here. The first ten minutes made me think there was going to be visionary stuff happening, but the movie is just plain weird.

Johann
04-14-2023, 05:00 AM
KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES (2016)

My friend John who's generously giving me access to his approx. 1000 blu-ray collection has a few groaner comedies, such as Sausage Party and Melissa McCarthy vehicles.
KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES is another.
Gal Gadot & Jon Hamm are an ultra-attractive couple who move into a nice cul-de-sac neighborhood but they aren't who they seem. They're actual spies, you see.
Zack Galifinakis and his wife are their hapless and plain-jane neighbors, who suspect something isn't right from the moment they move in.
Craziness ensues, and I can admit there are a few laughs. But overall it's a groaner.
Worth watching if you've got nothing to do.

Chris Knipp
04-14-2023, 09:57 AM
I don't know what your taste in comedies is or whether it's anything like mine. I probably don't understand comedy very well, prefer simple classic movie comedy like the Marx brothers and Jacques Tati, whose MONSIEUR HULOT'S HOLIDAY I once thought the funniest of all. I have a sympathy for Zack G. from "Bored to Death," the short-lived 2009-2011 HBO comedy costarring Ted Danson and Jason Schwartzman. A NY friend's husband recently started watching it and pronounced it "stupid."

Johann
04-14-2023, 10:15 AM
I'm not big on comedy in general.
I've never seen Tati's films but know they're great. They have a reputation.
My humour rests with stuff like THE BIG LEBOWSKI and BLAZING SADDLES, which I still find hilarious.
Comedy is hard to pull off. It usually has to have jokes that are totally absurd to work.

Chris Knipp
04-14-2023, 01:16 PM
JACQUES TATI

Tati's films are classics, and they're all physical humor, though there is satire of modernity such as in MON ONCLE. They feature a seemingly goofy, befuddled character called Monsieur Hulot, played by the tall, gangly Tati himself. Tati is fanatical about detail and his films are very precisely constructed and have a sort of Rube Goldberg complexity. A study of the perversity of inanimate objects becomes a critique of the contemporary world. Here are glimpses of some of his more famous moments in a 4-minute YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtlcoCdIOzg).

Johann
04-14-2023, 01:20 PM
COBRA (1986)

If there was one movie I would say encapsulates the entire decade of the 80's it's Cobra.
Gourmet fromage here, laced with all the tackiness and excess the 80's had to offer.
Sly Stallone is "The Cobra", a police officer without a name.
He drives a black hot rod and chews on matchsticks. Oh yeah, and he's called in for "special assignments" when the streets get too hairy for regular cops. He's kinda like Batman, with no cape. I found myself smirking- A LOT.
None of it makes any sense, kinda like the cocaine-fuelled decade that spawned it.
The opening sequence had Cobra called in to deal with a bad hombre at a supermarket who's shooting people with a shotgun. The Cobra wears his shades indoors, and he gets on the intercom to warn the perp: "You're a lousy shot. I hate lousy shots"- completely putting the people at more risk. THe perp also has a bomb, and when he threatens to use it The Cobra sneers: "Go ahead. I don't shop here."

Chris Knipp
04-14-2023, 03:36 PM
DOUBLE INDEMNITY (Billy Wilder )

We mentioned it here as a film noir classic. I'm watching it now. It makes me realize Patricia HIghsmith's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and Hitchcock's movie version owe something to the notion of an improvised murder of a hated spouse that goes wrong. It has Hitchcokian suspense in the crime itself. More coming but meanwhile here is what Pauline Kael said about it in a thumbnail comment for The New Yorker:
Double Indemnity

This shrewd, smoothly tawdry thriller, directed by Billy Wilder, is one of the high points of nineteen-forties films. Barbara Stanwyck’s Phyllis Dietrichson—a platinum blonde who wears tight white sweaters, an anklet, and sleazy-kinky shoes—is perhaps the best acted and the most fixating of all the slutty, cold-blooded femmes fatales of the film-noir genre. With her bold stare, her sneering, over-lipsticked, thick-looking mouth and her strategically displayed legs, she’s a living entrapment device. Fred MacMurray’s Walter Neff, an insurance salesman, is the patsy she ensnares in a plot to kill her businessman husband and collect on the double-indemnity clause in his policy. And as Keyes, the claims investigator for the insurance company, Edward G. Robinson handles his sympathetic role with an easy mastery that gives the film some realistic underpinnings. It needs them, because the narration is often so gaudy and terse that it seems an emblem of period hardboiled attitudes. This defect may be integral to the film’s taut structure.

— Pauline Kael

"A living entrapment device" is great.

Johann
04-14-2023, 04:16 PM
Great! Enjoy the movie!

Chris Knipp
04-14-2023, 04:57 PM
In its way it's a thing of beauty, for sure.
To me Forties flicks are nearly all hopelessly dated and film noir is crude and artificial, and that soaring, melodramatic Hollywood movie music annoys me - but the music is essential glue holding things together.

Johann
04-15-2023, 01:57 PM
MILK (2008)

Fine film from Gus van Sant, all about the first openly gay man to be elected to public office.
Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk, a gay activist and camera store owner who makes history.
This film covers a lot of ground and elapsed time.
The underlying theme was Milk's philosophy of giving people hope, that gay rights are human rights, and the man made a big difference.
He was up against a corrupt police force in San Francisco who targeted gays, he was up against popular opinion (and the likes of fanatic Anita Bryant), and he was even up against fellow gays who wouldn't come out of the closet for the cause.
Powerful performance from Sean Penn- he totally deserved another Academy Award.
This film shows the power of a movement. And even tho he was martyred, he made a lasting impact.

Johann
04-15-2023, 06:54 PM
THE ICE ROAD (2021)

Directed by Jonathan Hensleigh, this wasn't very good.
Liam Neeson and Lawrence Fishburne star in this blah thriller about driving on an ice road.
26 miners are trapped in a diamond mine in Manitoba Canada, and in order to get them out, they require pieces of heavy machinery which is not on-site. They have to be trucked in, over frozen rivers and lakes.
Liam is a driver, and he travels with his Iraq war vet brother.
Lawrence Fishburne is the first to die, when his rig falls thru the ice halfway there.
From then on it's predictable peril.
You can only make driving over a frozen lake so terrifying...

Johann
04-18-2023, 07:28 PM
EYE IN THE SKY |2015|

Directed by Gavin Hood (Ender's Game), this was a pretty good spy thriller.
Helen Mirren plays a british Colonel who's caught up in the ethics of using drones to kill.
Alan Rickman is fine in his final performance as her underling, pushing using drones to the limit. The technology in the film apparently wasn't even in use by any military, but probably is now. I wasn't aware that top brass took collateraL damage as a consideration.
Here, a young girl halts a strike just by selling bread in Nairobi near the house the perps are in. I suppose this could be more exciting/dramatic, but it's drones...it is what it is.

Johann
04-22-2023, 07:00 PM
THE TOWN (2010)

Gripping heist film directed by and starring Ben Affleck.
Boston has the dubious honor of having the most bank robberies per capita.
And the majority of those heists stem from a neighborhood called Charleston.
Ben has a loyal gang who perpetuate these heists, and they are damn good at it.
The FBI has to work triple hard to get close to the perps.
In this movie Ben falls for the bank manager of the first robbery, which leads to compromising situations. He also deals with loyalty on all fronts. I was following this story right to the end, which surprised me. I thought it would end MUCH differently, given what happens.
Two thumbs up.

Johann
04-22-2023, 08:53 PM
THE MACHINIST (2004)

Brad Anderson directs an emaciated Christian Bale in this dark psychological thriller.
Bale plays Trevor Reznik, a machine shop worker who hasn't slept in a year.
He weighs 120 pounds, is very gaunt, and his mental state is severely deteriorating.
The only bright lights in his life are a prostitute (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and a waitress named Maria.
His mindset spirals out of control frequently, and he sees things that aren't there. He lashes out at everyone in his orbit, most of whom see that he's struggling and want to help. The mental breakdown gets more and more intense, leading to him being fired and alienating everyone he knows.
Intense movie, mang.
Hold on while you're watching!!

Johann
04-23-2023, 01:35 PM
THE SISTERS BROTHERS (2018)

Directed by Jacques Audiard, this neo-western probably works better as a book than a film.
John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix are Charlie and Eli Sisters, two bumpkins aimlessly making their way through the 1850's.
They're on the trail of a guy named Warm, who's looking to prospect for gold then ultimately create a new society in Dallas. He's paired up with Morris (Jake Gyllenhaal), who's with him and against him at the same time.
This movie goes from town to town, scene to scene, without much interesting happening. It's not compelling. It looks great; good cinematography, but the story just doesn't grab you.

Chris Knipp
04-23-2023, 03:07 PM
Very disappointing. An example of a French director not transplanting well to the US. You should watch Audiard's great films instead such as his award-winning The Beat My Heart Skipped and A Prophet. The latter won the Grand Prix at Cannes. He was my favorite new French director in the early 2000's. Those two films are incredibly innovative and exciting. Made Romain Duris into a serious actor and Tahar Rahim into a star. Here's a list off The World of Reel of the best French directors of the 21st century. Audiard is on it. I liked him for his mixing of genres and use of noire crime elements with serious drama.
Leos Carax
Bruno Dumont
Claire Denis
Celine Sciamma
Olivier Assayas
Jacques Audiard
Gaspar Noe
Jean-Luc Godard
Arnaud Desplechin
Francois Ozon
Abdelatif Kechiche

Honorary Mentions: Mia Hansen-Løve, Bertrand Bonello, Catherine Breillat, Phillipe Garrel, Xavier Beauvois and Alain Guiraudie.
Claire Denis still ranks high. Ozon is remarkably prolific. Mia Hansen-Love has grown and her latest, ONE FINE DAY/UN BEAU JOUR, is wonderful. Godard is dead, a legend.
http://www.chrisknipp.com/images/up2.jpg
TAHAR RAHIM AND NIELS ARESTRUP A PROPHET

Johann
04-23-2023, 03:21 PM
I've never heard of Audiard until today.
If the Sisters Brothers is any indication, he's weak as a director.
That film also had a zillion producers- never a good sign.

I love Francois Ozon's films.
I heard there will be a posthumous Godard screened at Cannes this year.

Chris Knipp
04-23-2023, 03:33 PM
THE BEAT MY HEART SKIPPED and A PROPHET are masterful films. Audiard is NOT a weak director. THE SISTERS BROTHERS is just a bad choice to watch.

Undoubtedly his production situation as not the good one he had in France, aside from the language issue making him out of his element.

I saw a movie in a theater yesterday, AIR, directed by Ben Affleck, and he's not a bad director, and the cast includes him and Matt Damon reunited again and some other good actors.

But I don't expected to write about it, because it's basically just an advert for the Nike athletic shoe company. A disappointingly commercial effort by otherwise good people. More like that is coming, e.g. BLACKBERRY - bugt that at least has historical interest.

Johann
04-23-2023, 03:35 PM
U-571 (2000)

One of my favorite movies, despite being woefully historically inaccurate.
Jonathan Mostow directs this loud movie (Best Sound Editing Oscar winner!) starring Harvey Keitel, Matthew McConnaughey, Bill Paxton and Jon Bon Jovi.
The story revolves around capturing a german u-boat and seizing it's enigma code machine.
Problem is, this was already done by the British in 1941, before the U.S. entered the war.
The real U-571 was sunk in late January 1944 off the coast of Ireland.
So this movie is rife with inaccuracies.
I like it nonetheless for it's solid acting and verismilitude to the ships, uniforms and battles.
It's not as good as DAS BOOT, the greatest submarine movie ever, but it will test your sound system and subwoofer~!

Johann
04-26-2023, 09:08 AM
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006)

Damn good film by Kevin Macdonald.
Forest Whitaker won a well-deserved Oscar for his portrayal of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin.
James McAvoy plays a Scottish doctor named Nicolas who goes to Uganda to make a difference. He just so happens to be there during a coup, when Amin becomes President.
After meeting him to bandage his broken hand, Nicolas soon becomes Amin's closest advisor.
This is not good at all, because Amin logarythmically becomes a total madman. His regime ultimately kills 300,000 Ugandans. Powerful movie with a powerhouse performance from Whitaker.

Chris Knipp
04-26-2023, 09:53 AM
Indeed it is a damn good movie. I wrote about it here at the time and said while the grainy newsreel look was undistinguished, both Whittiker and McAvoy were outstanding. The portrait of a crazy guy is a bit over the top - and this director previously made docs -
Whitaker usually plays soft spoken, sensitive types. This time he nails a range from fearful to seductive to terrifying, connecting them with a seamlessly explosive energy. One would say Whitaker is this picture, except that it’s unmistakably also young McAvoy’s.

When documentarians embroider the truth, sometimes they go off way too far. But this is not unusual: l: a great performance in a less-than-great movie. We have to take what we can get, and in The Last King of Scotland we get a very wild ride.
http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?1860-Kevin-Macdonald-The-Last-King-of-Scotland-(2006)&p=15980#post15980
I saw this movie while feasting on new films in NYC and had a really memorable time.

Johann
04-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Great!

Yes this movie is a wild ride, and a must-see.
Not a dull moment. Whitaker's acting is truly amazing, and yes, he shares billing with McAvoy who holds his own. The movie nails the urgency to get the F out of Uganda during Amin's rule. There are gruesome images here-Nicolas is strung up with meat hooks at one point-you've been warned.

Johann
04-26-2023, 04:27 PM
JANE GOT A GUN (2016)

Great little western directed by Gavin O'Connor (WARRIOR).
Starring Natalie Portman as Jane (and she also produced!).
Her hubby Ham stumbles home after being shot multiple times, and he warns her that the John Bishop gang are coming to finish him off. Bishop is played by Ewan McGregor, and this was as close as he's ever got to disappearing in a role.
His gang is indeed out for blood, and Jane enlists the help of a former lover (a fantastic Joel Egerton, who also co-wrote the script).
This was surprisingly gritty and great. Westerns don't really interest me but this one did.
They still make decent ones from time to time...

Johann
04-26-2023, 06:49 PM
MUD (2012)

Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, this was a great coming-of-age tale.
Matthew McConnaughey is Mud, a fugitive hiding out on an island on the Mississippi river.
He's discovered by two 14-year-old boys sleeping in a boat in a tree that they found.
Mud spins yarns about how he's on the run because he had to kill a man to protect his girlfriend Juniper (Reese Witherspoon). He's eventually got the boys running errands for him, buying food and getting items to help eventually launch his boat. A lot happens in this movie, and it's all interesting.
The family of the killed man want revenge, the boys are warned to stay away from Mud (they don't), and it all leads to a surprise ending. Highly recommended.

Chris Knipp
04-26-2023, 10:14 PM
I saw it and reviewed it and here is my review:
MUD (Mike Nichols ) (https://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2395)

Among other things I point out it's a great role for Matthew McConaughey, and I quote a great description by Mike D'Angelo at Cannes of the character he plays. Tye Sheridan has "emerged as one of Hollywood's most sougth after young talents."

Johann
04-27-2023, 08:14 AM
Your review nails the movie. You're right- the movie isn't even about McConnaughey.

Johann
04-27-2023, 01:54 PM
END OF WATCH (2012)

David Ayers' ultra-real buddy cop movie is amazing.
Michael Pena and Jake Gyllenhaal underwent 5 months of actual police training to prepare for their roles as LAPD partners on the beat. The results are awesome. Nothing but praise for this movie and those 2 guys.
From the get-go they encounter all sorts of craziness. They physically fight gang members, uncover drug rings and human trafficking operations, deal with being shot at and even heat from within their own police department.
Riveting movie from start to finish. The ending was awesome.
Be warned tho: gruesome images are here, and F-bombs are dropped all the time.

Johann
04-27-2023, 05:03 PM
HUMMINGBIRD (2013)

This film was released in the U.S. under the title "Redemption".
It stars Jason Statham as a fugitive ex-special forces soldier who's escaped his court martial for revenge killings he did in Afghanistan. He's currently homeless, looking for his girl Isabel.
He gets involved in organized crime and several other unsavoury actions.
In Afghanistan he saw buddies slaughtered in front of him, and lost it. He conducted revenge kills to compensate for the loss, committing war crimes.
It's hard to be sympathetic to his plight, despite Statham being very committed to the role.

Johann
05-01-2023, 01:58 PM
47 METERS DOWN (2017)

This was a good horror film by Johannes Roberts.
Lisa and Kate are on vacation in Mexico, and they decide to go on a scuba trip where you watch sharks in a cage. The boat owner is Matthew Modine, lending some weight to this B-movie.
They are lowered into the water, and you can guess what happens. The cage winch and pully system breaks, plunging the girls to the bottom.
Precious time gets frittered away, at the surface and in the cage. The girls don't have enough air in their tanks to survive down there for long- they keep leaving the cage, trying to get a comms signal with the boat, and looking for divers who said they'd winch them up. Huge sharks are ever present too, ready to snack. A couple devastating twists will keep you on your toes. There are tons of cheapo shark films out there; this one is better than most.

Johann
05-02-2023, 06:32 PM
THE ASSIGNMENT (2017)

Bizarre B-movie from Walter Hill.
Avatar alumni Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver really went left-field here, with Michelle playing a hired killer who has gender re-assignment surgery performed on him by Weaver.
They are both involved in some heavy duty against-the-grain behavior, and Weaver tells her side of the story in custody in a straightjacket.
I recognized the lower East side of Vancouver, where the whole film was shot.
The film draws you in, but it's scuzzy all the way.
With violence, nudity and very mature themes.

Chris Knipp
05-02-2023, 07:23 PM
I like Sigourney. i don't know if that would keep me glued to the scren though.

Johann
05-02-2023, 08:39 PM
She definitely lowered her standards for this one.
John has given me a slew of B-movies this time around.
I’ve never seen them, so I’ll watch them.
THE ASSIGNMENT is a one-time watch.

Johann
05-03-2023, 06:42 PM
MECHANIC: RESURRECTION (2016)

Directed by Dennis Gansel, this sequel to THE MECHANIC is apparently way better.
Jason Statham is great as "BISHOP", a jack-of-all-trades mercenary who's enlisted to perform 3 seperate assassinations. Statham proves he can carry a movie by himself. I loved this flick- it was "a bite-sized Bond", with a large body count and tons of action.
It also stars Michelle Yeoh, Jessica Alba and Tommy Lee Jones- A-list backup players.
The killings that Bishop is tasked with are implausible, nearly impossible to pull off.
Yet he does, and he barely breaks a sweat.
While Hummingbird disappointed me, this renewed my faith in Statham as an action icon.
From the producers of The Expendables.

Chris Knipp
05-03-2023, 07:52 PM
It got very bad reviews, but the excellent critic Owen Gleiberman spoke favorably of it in Variety, (https://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/mechanic-resurrection-review-jason-statham-1201844908/) and said this about Jason Statham which fits in with what you say:
For a while now, Jason Statham has been the thinking man’s smart/dumb B-movie action star. His films, or at least a lot of them, swim around in the grindhouse muck of bloodsport and revenge, a genre that has spawned such brooding blocks of wood as Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris. But Statham, unlike most action-pulp icons, is a genuine actor, with a darting intelligence and finesse. He has often been much better than the movies he’s in, and he has flirted with the A-list as well. It’s seriously doubtful that an action star pushing 50 would be considered for the role of James Bond, but it would be fascinating to see what Statham could do with it. Makes one think how a good critic can make us rethink an actor.

Johann
05-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Indeed. Gleiberman has got the right attitude about Statham.
He IS better than the movies he's in, and while watching Mechanic: Resurrection I kept thinking he could play James Bond. He's super-lethal and more cunning than MacGyver, a new kind of Rambo.
He just needs those great scripts, those great movies. He's up to the challenge. I don't call him an actor. I call him an Icon. And he did it his way.

Johann
05-04-2023, 04:19 PM
POINT BREAK (2015)

This is the remake of the 1991 action/adventure film.
Directed by Ericson Core, I highly enjoyed this movie. You want thrilling daredevil stunts?
Look no further. This movie has big wave surfing, extreme motorcross, skydiving, high mountain snowboarding, basejumping, and extreme rock climbing, to name a few.
The FBI is on the trail of a group of extreme sport enthusiasts who perpetuate extreme crimes and get away with them. They have to enlist the help of a new recruit familiar with the stunts named Utah (Heath Ledger lookalike Luke Bracey). Utah chases them all over the globe, with spectacular results. One by one he closes in. Co-starring Ray Winstone & Delroy Lindo. Wonderful cinematography- Core captures every stunt flawlessly, the most impressive being the rock climb at Angel Falls in Venezuela.

Chris Knipp
05-04-2023, 05:02 PM
You don't sound like you've seen the classic Kathryn Bigelow original with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze, which revolves around surfing. It's a movie I loved from when I first saw it and have rewatched any number of times. Surfing is essential to its mystique, and the edgy bromance between the cocky FBI tyro "Johnny Utah" and the exciting, mystical bad guy known as "Bodhi," lost in this new version. I went to see the remake, of course - but went away feeling empty. I think it would have probably been better to copy the original slavishly, even though the chemistry would never have been there. But they didn't even halfway strive for that; they just put together a "related" story. It might seem exciting and diverting - compared to some of the duds you've been watching. But it got terrible reviews (on Metacritic (https://www.metacritic.com/movie/point-break-2015)34, way into the red zone), because a remake must be judged in relation to what it's a remake of. See Bilge Eberi's Vulture review here (https://www.vulture.com/2015/12/point-break-is-escapism-you-cant-escape-into.html).
Uninterested in competing on the bromance front, or even on the action-thriller front, this new Point Break often plays like an extreme-sports documentary with bits of narrative interstitials to carry us along. The production brought together stuntmen and athletes from all around the world for the film’s many setpieces, which include BASE jumping, big wave–riding, motocross, snowboarding, and free-climbing. If you really like that sort of thing, you should see this on the biggest screen you can.

I'm having trouble accessing this website again, by the way. I happen to have access to a computer that accepts me and it together. But my main computer can't connect with "Filmleaf". It's annoying and mysterious. Like somebody up there in computer land doesn't like me.

Talking about Point Break, the 1991 one, makes me want to see it again - though I can never quite recapture the magic of the first watch. Eberi points out the FAST AND FURIOUS films are built on that same kind of macho bro competitive vibe, with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker, a really solid duo broken of course by Walker's tragic death at 40. Swayze is gone. But Keanu has a durable persona, it has turned out with the John Wick franchise.

There's also the exhilaration of the (off-season) bank robberies int he dead presidents masks. The original is just so much mindless fun.

Johann
05-04-2023, 05:49 PM
You're right, I haven't seen the original Point Break.
If I had, I might be more critical.
And yes, there's not really much of a bromance going on with Bodhi and Utah in this new film.
It has exciting moments and I enjoyed it for that and the exotic locales.

You can't access Filmeaf?
I can't either, unless I make sure to click on the "remember me" box.

Chris Knipp
05-04-2023, 06:01 PM
I just rewatched the first twenty minutes of the original POINT BREAK. Really one of my all-time favorite films. Kathryn Bigelow was the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director (for THE HURT LOCKER), and James Cameron's third wife and sometime collaborator. He cowrote her 1995 film STRAGE DAYS.
Ever see NEAR DARK (1987)? It's the first thing by her I saw, with friends in Chicago, and I saw she was cool, could do great exciting stuff with genre.

She graduated from the San Francisco Art Institute, and started out as a painter. Her early life is interesting.
For a while, Bigelow lived as an impoverished artist [in NYC], staying with painter Julian Schnabel in performance artist Vito Acconci's loft. She had a minor role in Richard Serra's video Prisoner's Dilemma (1974). Bigelow teamed up with Philip Glass on a real-estate venture in which they renovated distressed apartments downtown and sold them for a profit.
Bigelow entered the graduate film program at Columbia University, where she studied theory and criticism and earned her master's degree. Her professors included Vito Acconci, Sylvère Lotringer, and Susan Sontag, as well as Andrew Sarris and Edward W. Said,

Johann
05-04-2023, 06:07 PM
I'll ask John if he has the original. He has The Hurt Locker (Which was great).
Was Near Dark that vampire movie with Bill Paxton? I've seen that, but it's been a while.

Chris Knipp
05-04-2023, 06:32 PM
Hope you can watch it.