PDA

View Full Version : F I E L D_ O F _ V I S I O N : a "cinematic journalism unit" worth watching

Chris Knipp
03-27-2017, 02:27 PM
http://www.chrisknipp.com/filmleaf_pics/lll6.jpg
Best of Luck with the Wall

F I E L D . O F . V I S I O N
(https://fieldofvision.org/)
[A press release. Strong Island (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?4291-New-Directors-New-Films-2017&p=35346#post35346) was a powerful documentary included in Filmleaf's New Directors coverage recently. Laura Poitras' work includes Citizenfour (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3800-New-York-Film-Festival-2014&p=32837#post32837), the Edward Snowden film premiered at the 2014 NYFF. It features Edward Snowden, Glenn Greenwald, and William Binney. ]

Award-Winning Cinematic Journalism Unit Field of Vision Unveils New Season

Announces First Short Films & Series for 2017, Move Into Feature Documentaries and Launch Date for their 100 Days Series with Firelight Media

IFC Center in New York City to Host Week-Long Run of
New Field of Vision Work with a Special Screening on Wednesday, March 29

March 27, 2017 - NEW YORK, NY - Today, First Look Media's acclaimed visual journalism unit Field of Vision unveils its spring slate of short films and series for 2017, and an expanded role in nonfiction feature films.

FOV's fourth season of programming opens today, March 24 at the IFC Center in New York City. There will be a Special Screening featuring Field of Vision Co-Creators Laura Poitras, AJ Schnack, and Charlotte Cook at the IFC Center on Wednesday, March 29 at 7pm. Tickets are on sale now.

The line-up for the evening is:
Laura Gabbert - Monumento (Monument)
Jason Blalock's In the Wake of Ghost Ship
Maxim Povdorovkin's Our New President
Elaine Sheldon's Timberline
Adrian Chen & Ciaran Cassidy's The Moderators
Dana O'Keefe's The Clowns

Coming up, Field of Vision will publish Adrian Chen & Ciaran Cassidy's The Moderators. A never-before-seen look at an internet company in India responsible for patrolling social media and dating sites for objectionable content and fake profiles. The film had its World Premiere at the SXSW Film Festival earlier this month.

This season of Field of Vision will also launch "Our 100 Days", a special collection of short films produced in partnership with Firelight Media. The films, all directed by filmmakers-of-color, reflect the impact of the current American political climate on various communities. The series will launch in late April, just prior to the milestone of the Trump Administration's first 100 days in office. It will include new work from Cecilia Aldarondo, Chelsea Hernandez, Iliana Sosa, Nausheen Dadabhoy, and Sofian Kahn, among others.

In the coming weeks, Field of Vision shorts will debut at international film festivals across the country ahead of their online premieres. These include Jason Blalock's In the Wake of Ghost Ship at the San Francisco International Film Festival, Elaine Sheldon's Timberline at Full Frame Film Festival, and Dana O'Keefe's Clowns at the Dallas International Film Festival.

Field of Vision's spring season will also include new work from Charlie Lyne, and Nadia Hallgren, as well as a three-part series on ISIS-fighters, Our Allies, from filmmaker Anders Sømme Hammer. As well as an expanded version of AJ Schnack's award-winning short film about mass shooting incidents, Speaking Is Difficult.

Further to its ongoing work in short form and series film-making, Field of Vision is committed to its continued expansion into nonfiction feature films. Two Field of Vision-supported films, Nobody Speak: The Trials of a Free Press by Brian Knappenberger, and Yance Ford's Strong Island (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?4291-New-Directors-New-Films-2017&p=35346#post35346) premiered at this year's Sundance Film Festival. And an additional four feature-length films are also currently in production,

Coming off its award for Best Short Form Series at the International Documentary Association Awards in late 2016, Field of Vision has already seen a busy 2017. Publishing two notable shorts from filmmaker Alex Winter, Relatively Free chronicles the first hours of freedom for writer and activist Barrett Brown, and, coinciding with his inauguration, Trump's Lobby, was published on January 20, 2017.

More recently, Josh Begley's Best of Luck With the Wall - a six-minute journey along the US/Mexico border using Google Maps images - became a viral sensation when it was projected on the Border Patrol building in Washington, DC on February 1. And it screened again this month at the True/False Film Festival.

Finally, Laura Poitras and Henrik Moltke's Project X has followed up its theatrical run in New York, and its online premiere, with screenings at Sundance and True/False. Project X is now slated for a screening at Full Frame in April.

About Field of Vision
Field of Vision was launched in September 2015 at the New York Film Festival. Co-created by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Laura Poitras, filmmaker AJ Schnack and curator & producer Charlotte Cook. In its first year Field of Vision commissioned 22 stand-alone nonfiction short films, 3 episodic series and 2 feature-length documentaries.

Work created by Field of Vision has been featured at major international film festivals, including Sundance, Cannes, SXSW and Rotterdam and has received the Best Short Form Series award at the International Documentary Association, a number of festival Grand Jury Prizes for Short Documentary and a News and Documentary Emmy nomination. Three Field of Vision films have been shortlisted for the 2017 Cinema Eye Outstanding Nonfiction Short Film Honor. In addition, Field of Vision won the Webby Award for Online Film & Video - News & Politics: Series.

About the FOV Creators
Laura Poitras is a filmmaker and journalist. Her film Citizen Four won an Oscar for best documentary, as well as awards from BAFTA, Independent Spirit Awards, and the Director's Guild of America. The first film in her post-9/11 trilogy, My Country, My Country, was nominated for an Oscar. The second film, The Oath, was nominated for two Emmys. Her reporting on NSA surveillance received the George Polk Award for National Security journalism, and shared in the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for public service. She recently exhibited her first solo museum show at the Whitney Museum of American Art.

AJ Schnack is a nonfiction filmmaker. His work includes Speaking is Difficult (2016), Caucus (2013), We Always Lie To Strangers (2013), Convention (2009), Kurt Cobain: About A Son (2006) and Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns) (2002). He has created episodic series on American electoral politics for Vanity Fair (Nomination, 2016), Fusion (Primaries, 2016) and Al Jazeera America (Midterms, 2014). He is the Founding Director of the Cinema Eye Honors for Nonfiction Filmmaking and a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism

Charlotte Cook is a curator, writer and producer. Prior to Field of Vision, she was the Director of Programming at Hot Docs, North America's largest documentary festival. In London, Charlotte was the Head of Film Programming at The Frontline Club. She has also worked with BBC Storyville, the Channel 4 BritDoc Foundation's Puma Creative Catalyst Fund and the Edinburgh International Film Festival, where she curated the strand Conflict | Reportage. In addition to her work at Field of Vision, Charlotte is currently a programmer at CPH:DOX.

About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices across all platforms, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company.

Chris Knipp
03-28-2017, 09:18 PM
http://www.chrisknipp.com/filmleaf_pics/lll5.jpg

A Field of Vision (https://fieldofvision.org/) presentation at IFC Center in NYC.

Invitation just received. Unfortunately not in New York now or I would report.

Field of Vision invites you to join us in celebrating the launch of our 4th season with a screening of new work and a Q&A discussion.

Please join Laura, AJ & Charlotte at:

IFC Center, 323 6th Ave, New York

Wednesday March 29, at 7:00pm

The lineup:

Monument | Monumento directed by Laura Gabbert, 12 mins.
At a unique point in the US-Mexico border, Monument 258, families from both countries can speak through a meshed fence in what is the closest they may get to human contact.

In the Wake of Ghost Ship directed by Jason Blalock, 21 mins.
In the wake of Oakland’s deadly Ghost Ship fire, residents at another Bay Area DIY space face an inspection.

Clowns directed by Dana O’Keefe, 7 mins.
In 2016 stories emerged worldwide of a Clown epidemic. From pranks to violence, this film explores where they came from, and the role of the mask and those behind it.

Timberline directed by Elaine McMillion Sheldon, 13 mins.
After years of operation as a Navy base tied to a NSA site, Sugar Grove Station in West Virginia is up for sale.

The Moderators directed by Ciaran Cassidy and Adrian Chen, 19 mins.
A group of new employees at a consultancy in India are trained in their responsibilities as the moderating backbone of the Internet.

There was just a fire and four deaths at another Oakland artist location that had just been inspected and found wanting.

Johann
03-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Great. All duly noted.

I'm really curious about a lot, but the future of cinema...
That's the Final Frontier for us human bipeds...lol

Chris Knipp
03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Another thing to see at IFC Center if I were there. I do spend a lot of time there when I am in NYC. It's a ten-minute walk. The first film by Laura Poitras I saw was The Oath (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2808-Film-Comments-Selects-And-New-Directors-New-Films-2010&p=24177#post24177) in ND/NF 2010; then Citizenfour premiered at the 2014 NYFF, a last-minute addition I covered (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3800-New-York-Film-Festival-2014&p=32837#post32837). Then there was the formation of the news group The Intercept, which includes Glenn Greenwald and Lee Fang, among others.