PDA

View Full Version : UNBROKEN (Angelina Jolie 2014)

Chris Knipp
12-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Angelina Jolie: Unbroken (2014)

http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/ub.jpg
TAKAMASA ISHIHARA AND JACK O'CONNELL IN UNBROKEN

Hit me over the head again, please

Again the fledgling director Angelina Jolie has made a film that's powerful, unflinching, and hard to watch, like her 2011 feature debut, In the Land of Blood and Honey (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1983). Few saw that one. Many more will come out to see this. It's a wide release, in 3,131 theaters; Honey showed in only 18. Unbroken is also based on a bestselling book by a bestselling author (Laura Hildebrand of Seabiscuit), about a WWII hero, Louis Zamperini. It tells a sweeping tale of triumph over hardship and adversity in Japanese prison camps. Another reason to see it: its star, though still little known to American audiences, is the hot young UK actor of the moment, Jack O'Connell. A Brit with an Irish father and English mother, the 24-year-old O'Connell stars in two of the top UK action films of the year, the prison drama Starred Up and the breathless thriller about Belfast during the Troubles,'71 (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2828) (NYFF). He is known at home for playing Pukey in Shane Meadows' indie classic about punk kids This Is England (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?t=867&view=next), and James Cook in the E4 teen drama Skins. "Jack the Lad," as his tattoo proclaims, was featured on the cover of the fall issue of the New York Times Style Magazine (http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/profile-jack-oconnell-angelina-jolie-unbroken/?_r=0), photographed by Bruce Weber. Maybe he needs to calm down a little. But he clearly has a knack for intensity and welcomes physical challenges. And clearly he's one to watch. But this American movie he's in, Unbroken, is a disappointment, monotonous, even more relentless and grim than Jolie's debut. It's well made but conventional. Focusing on a time and events that are too well known, it lacks the documentary-specific sense of time and place Honey had.

At first it looks like Jolie can't even bear to tell her story straight, when she has her hero, Zamperini, stuck in a fighter plane that's about to crash into the Pacific and be trapped in a rubber raft for 47 days. She keeps flashing back to his youthful triumphs as a runner, where he was a remarkable miler for his age and time and got to compete in the Berlin Olympics. No detail about these, which are just glimpsed in Greatest Hits style, like a trailer: and sure enough, they were heavily weighted in the trailer itself. When you see the film you find out why. It's hard to dramatize sitting and cooking in a raft for 47 days. It gives you time to wonder about casting an Irish boy as the son of Italian immigrants, and his pronunciation of the word "gnocchi." O'Connell has shone at playing angry, troubled youths; he has to tone it down a bit here, focus mainly on a stiff upper lip. After this high profile role maybe he'll pop up in Marvel Comics movies yet, but that's not a particular boon for him or us. He's best in the gritty, specific British stuff.

Something important in the book and Zamperini's inspirational life seems missing here, or what there is just works better in a book than a movie. There's a little about the other raft survivor, Phil (Domhnall Gleeson), but only one character emerges other than Zamperini, a warped young Japanese corporal named Watanabe, later sergeant, in charge of two of the camps he's in. The choice of Takamasa Ishihara, a youthful musician with a soft, feminine face, to play this warped, borderline psychotic role seems odd. He has only one distant expression, as he repeatedly whips Zamperini across the face and body with a long bamboo rod on multiple occasions. In this masochistic story of endurance Zamperini almost has to ask "The Bird" (his brutalizer's nickname, we learn later) to hit him over the head again and again.

Things are bad but they get worse toward the end of the war when Allied bombing comes close to the camp Zamperini's in and its inmates are all transferred to a more remote location for hauling coal where every prisoner's black from the stuff and every day seems to be a living hell, climaxing when a totally exhausted Zamperini is made by Watanabe, himself exhausted, to raise a heavy piece of lumber aloft over his head and hold it there for hours.

Or it seems like hours. The problem is that this film, which also has to tell the story of the Japanese attempt to use Zamperini as an Olympic athlete for propaganda purposes, seems unable to convey the sense of monotony and duration of the physical and mental tests Louis Zamperini endured. Jolie is shooting for uplift but this is material that Robert Bresson could have better handled at in a more compact length. No help came from the scribe work of Joel Coen, Ethan Cohen, Richard LaGravenese, and William Nicholson on the adaptation, or the conventional surging music of Alexandre Desplat. Dp Roger Deakins also provides quality, but not originality. Garrett Hedlund, Finn Wittrock and Luke Treadaway costar.

Unbroken, 137 mins., debuted 25 Dec. 2014, 26th in the UK, in January and February in some other countries.

tabuno
01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
It is helpful to have Chris review this movie because even wanting to really enjoy it, it felt a little like an endurance test in the negative sense; yet it's hard to pin down exactly why. The photo quality of the movie is good and the aircraft scene some of the most exciting and starkly intimate since Saving Private Ryan (1998). I may have liked Unbroken more than Chris due primarily because I like Angelina Jolie as an actress and her dedication to her craft, but there is something "monotonous" about the movie. I can't tell whether it was the actual events themselves that restricted the range of the presentation or it was the script and theatrical presentation. Chris's comments offer some suggestive ideas that help to clarify some of the vague questions surrounding Unbroken's viewing impact.

Chris Knipp
01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
But I assure you I like Angelina Jolie as an actress too, and mentioned that I admired her first film as a director. It was very serious, very gritty, quite traditional, but very specific, and actually all in the original Croat language - even if the story wasn't totally clear, it showed maturity. Unfortunately it, too, has very hard-to-watch moments: I think Jolie has a weakness for punishing the viewer. I don't see how you can find any mystery in why UNBROKEN is an endurance test. How can it be anything but that to watch a man beaten over and over again? I think the treatment is monotonous, and humorless, and also not all that original. We have all seen movies about long times in prison like MIDNIGHT EXPRESS or Bresson's A MAN ESCAPED that were ordeals but also rewarding, and we have all seen movies about the ordeal of being in WWII and being captured. So many scenes, and these were not different enough. I suspect it all works better in book form, or with the voice of the hero telling his story, Louis Zamperini. They say he became a motivational speaker, and lived to be 97. Angelina knew him - he just died - and adored him. He was an inspiration. But she was not able to inject that inspiration into her film. The reviews have not been so good - Metacritic total in the 50's.

Chris Knipp
01-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Correction: IN THE LAND OF BLOOD AND HONEY (which I saw in New York; it was not available all over the country) was in Bosnian, with subtitles. See my review (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1983). I stand by everything I said pro and con. I still think it was better than UNBROKEN, but UNBROKEN according to Metacritic got marginally better reviews (it's much flashier and more expensive): 59% vs. 56%; $65 million vs. $13 million. I just looked them up.

tabuno
01-03-2015, 11:29 PM
There was a way in which Jolie directed and maintained a cruel punishing scene, but it didn't seem to be punishment for punishment sake. I found these scenes to be some of the most poignant parts of the movie because they offered an authentic, true portrait of the inhumanity to man so often avoided and left out of popular, mainstream war movies. The problem with today's news media and national security and defense outlets is the overt censorship of current blood and dead bodies that almost makes war sanitary and acceptable. It's unfortunate more people haven't seen The Great War Diary (2014, Television mini-docudrama series) that offers a real graphic and terrible look at World War I based on true journal/diary dialogue that almost makes one want to avoid war at all costs, it's just too cruel and inhumane. I imagine that is one of the reasons Jolie shot and kept such scenes in the film, not to just make it more appealing like so many horror movies.

Chris Knipp
01-04-2015, 01:19 AM
You are sending mixed signals. You said it was "an endurance test" and "monotonous." Now you're saying the most punishing parts were the best. Which is it?

Chris Knipp
01-04-2015, 02:37 AM
David Denby of The New Yorker , whose word carries considerably more weight than mine, has harsh words to say about UNBROKEN in the current "NOW PLAYING" section in the front of this week's issue. I have to point out though that he makes two mistakes. Jack O'Connell's father is Irish but he is English, and Zamperini's plane went down in 1943, not 1942; he was in prison camps for just under 2 1/2 years. Here's Denby:

Unbroken
An interminable, redundant, unnecessary epic devoted to suffering, suffering, suffering. The great young Irish actor Jack O'Connell stars as the American Olympic runner Louis Zamperini, who survives forty-seven days in the Pacific, in a raft, after his B-24 ditches in 1942. Zamperini then spends three years in Japanese prison camps, where he is beaten again and again, and endures one grotesque puniishment in which the entire population of prisoners, one after another, must punch him in the face. You feel like yelling "Cut!" to the director, Angelina Jolie, who confuses long scenes of sadism with truth-telling. O'Connell's tormentor is a repressed homosexual (Miyavi, the smooth-faced Japanese pop star), who loves Zamperini and can't stop attacking him--a tired trope from the Freudian Hollywood of the Forties. In large set pieces, Jolie is more than competent, but the movie feels derivative and short of ideas, other than the idea that endurance makes a man great.--D.D. (In wide release.) --The New Yorker, January 5, 2015.

tabuno
01-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Taken as a whole the movie was an "endurance test." There were several extended scenes that were intriguing and compelling like the final 5,000 meter race at the Olympics, the bombing runs, and the cruel punishments. But the movie seemed long, not in a good way. The overall tone of the movie, though, seemed to eventual return to a level ride that didn't have the dramatic bite that superior movies have.