PDA

View Full Version : FEAST OF FRIENDS (1968/The Doors)

Johann
12-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Maybe this belongs in the DVD section, but I think it's important enough to be in the general film forum.
The Doors are my favorite band and always will be.

This is the documentary made by The Doors themselves back in 1968, when they were a white hot group. I've had a poor bootleg copy of this film on vhs since 2002, and it has finally been released for all to see. It is awesome to see it cleaned up, the footage remastered perfectly. What makes it even more awesome is the "Feast of Friends Encore" special feature- it has footage and outtakes I've never seen- and of particular interest to me is the "meeting" after a Bakersfield concert with Christian Pastor Fred S, who thinks Jim Morrison is Jesus! It's hilarious to see. He tells Jim "There is a real concern about what the hell you're trying to pull off here.." Jim replies "This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. It's kind of like secular religion". He gives the pastor his address, to write or drop in anytime.

We also get to see the Doors playing cards in a hotel room, playing piano backstage, Jim reciting poetry & showing us a beautiful photo of himself onstage, Robby strumming to his girlfriend Lynn, Jim "falling" over a cliff..just great vintage footage from a wonderful time in history. This is an essential DVD to own if you're a Doors fan or classic rock historian.
It really is a time capsule. We have John Densmore to thank, he said it's a document of a time and should be released, and it never would've seen the light of day if Ray Manzarek was alive. It was considered crude and unfinished, so it was never considered for wide release. But Jim was proud of it and even took it to Paris with his film HWY: An American Pastoral and tried to get them shown at the Cinematheque Francais. The Doors were intelligent. They had a camera on them at all times during their tours, and they captured some great footage. It's awesome to see this stuff unearthed from the vaults & cleaned up. My loyalty to this band has been rewarded year after year. The release of all of the concerts from the 1969-70 tours is incredible (all thanks to master Engineer Bruce Botnick!), the DVD Re-Volution was nice, the cleaned up and *complete!* Hollywood Bowl concert has been released to DVD and on CD, and I even have my own pet project that I'm trying to get off the ground with John Densmore's permission. I met him last year in Toronto and he's a tremendous human being. The project I want to do is not a film or anything to do with the Doors music, but it's a fans dream, and I'll post about it later, after I find out if I can proceed or not. It's never been done before, and as a fan I want to see it happen. Wish I could say more, but I don't want anyone to steal my idea and do it before I do.

Feast Of Friends: Encore really reveals how Jim's sense of humour was great. People think he's this dark, intense guy. He was, but he also had a great sense of humour. The man was a Genius. It's on full display with FEAST OF FRIENDS. It was released Nov. 11th, 2014 and also includes the crucial and essential documentary THE DOORS ARE OPEN- the British made profile, also gloriously cleaned up and remastered. Lots of great backstage/studio behind-the-scenes footage. It really is manna for Doors fans.
This DVD also includes one of the best performances of "THE END"- a Canadian performance from the CBC, one most fans consider the best version of The End ever performed. Bottom line, this DVD is essential to own.

I also recommend buying the "GHOST SONG/DRUMS" limited edition vinyl from Black Friday Record Store Day of this year- Shepard Fairey & Cheyenne Randall did the artwork, and all proceeds go to www.honorthetreaties.org