PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy

cinemabon
08-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Written and directed by James Gunn

SPOILERS

If you hadn't seen the barrage of advertisement on television or film trailers, you wouldn't know you'd come to a science fiction film. Gunn opens his movie with a quiet scene of a boy listening to a tape of his mother's greatest hits - a cassette tape that plays into the plot of the film later on. Young Peter's mother is dying. We don't know how or why she is ill; although she resembles a chemotherapy patient. With her final moments, she begs to reach out and touch the boy. Confused in regards to his feelings, the boy clings to his grandfather, only to regret that decision when its clear he'll never see his mother again. Consumed with grief, Peter finds solace in the music his mother left him - sort of the greatest hits from 1975 to 1985! In a flash, we're transported off across the galaxy to a dark planet and our film opens on a grim yet humorous scene - where hip-hop music fills the ear while weird visions of sci-fi nightmares engulf our eyes with busy images.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is peppered with snappy dialogue, incredible special effects, complex landscapes, a cast of unforgettable characters and a convoluted plot that has little bearing on the film experience. Taken from the comic of the same name, Gunn and writer Nicole Perlman have woven a cinematic tale that is bound to spark a series of sequels. There are villains, uber-villains and super uber-villains that populate this universe; and all of them are in pursuit of this orb. The orb appears to be the mcguffin in the plot, vital to everyone but not at the core of the story. While they all chase after the orb, the journey along the way is about discovery - who the characters are and the origins to their lives is the more important issue. The dialogue is chock full of humorous one liners thanks to writers Gunn and his co-conspirator Nicole Perlman. While the characters seem to jump from one problem into the next, they take their misery in such a light-hearted fashion that we never fear for their demise.

The special effects in this film are dazzling to the point of rivaling such big names as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Everything is performed on huge scales with bigger than life gods living in bigger than life sets. The large screen format is filled from corner to corner with a rapid fire of so many details you loose count after a while. Of course, the ending - while slightly more than predictable - is also as satisfying as a proper dessert after a proper meal. This is a film for all ages - sci fi fan or not. Its fun, fast paced and full of mirth. We laugh our way through one predicament after another. And in the end, these disparate "folks" are more like you and me than their make up would allow us to believe from the start. There is humanity under all of that disguise and it is found in the heart of its director, James Gunn.

Chris Knipp
09-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I agree with most of what you say, if some is a bit hyperbolic (about the special effects). I didn't get around to writing a review, was not inspired to. I guess I'm burnt out on sci-fi superhero movies, even offbeat and quirky and cute ones. And I suppose I got lost in the "hyperbolic plot" you say yourself "has little bearing on the film experience." That is a drawback, ain't it? Weeks later I remember the trailer better than the movie. But it's a great movie for kids, and at the start they were waiting in hordes outside to go in and see it.

Here's one still that reflects the fun of the movie.

http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/gotg.jpg

cinemabon
09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
In what the Hollywood insiders are calling the summer of dread, "Guardians of the Galaxy" turned a hefty profit - as these popcorn-for-the-masses films do to prop up and perpetuate the system. I'm only sorry I didn't have something more profound to say about it. Comic book fans have anticipated this film for a long time.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a comic serial that goes back to the 1960's and has had many re-inventions along the way. The film touched on some of the alternative story lines (the father who IS a galactic lord and happens to be in a battle with other "lords" in the universe). They are planning a sequel. I only became interested because one of the writers in my group also is an avid comic book collector and beat the drum of enthusiasm. Several writers went together. I wasn't interested in the 3D Imax version.

I found the film rather sophomoric if not hyperbolic in its characterizations. FYI - in the collector's group, filmmaker Gunn slipped in Howard the Duck and added a scene at the end of the credits. I didn't stay so I must have missed it.

Chris Knipp
09-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Well it might mean more if you had comic book background. My whole problem is I loved comics -- till I was 12; then I decisively moved on and never went back to them. Ever see "Classics Illustrated Comic Books"? That's how I got to know some of the literary classics -- even though my father was a college English professor (Shakespeare, Restoration drama, 18th century were his interests). The Bronte sisters, for instance: I know them only through Classics Illustrated Comic Books. Younger, I OD'd joyously on CRIME DOES NOT PAY. Did not know this was the Summer of Dread -- noted. I also avoided the 3D version of GUARDIANS, as I usually do of any movie in 3D with a few exceptions. I enjoyed a Harry Potter in a big IMax theater in San Francisco, maybe because I saw it with friends who are devoted fans and it was an exciting opening night event with a packed house. The technique worked in that whole context of fantasy and hoop-la. Did you like the photo?

cinemabon
09-10-2014, 01:16 PM
I did like the photo. I thought they were running to the set!

I can't believe you had Classics Illustrated (and your father a professor! Mine ran a restaurant and a tavern! Very different upbringing). In addition to the Classics Illustrated (Treasure Island, Around the World in 80 Days, 20,000 Leagues... and so on), I also had Golden Key Comics, which tried - unsuccessfully - to do the same thing, bring classical literature to the comic book level. I was a DC guy while my reading buddy (in his parent's attic) was a Marvel guy. Green Arrow was my hero because my brother was "into" archery and it was a merit badge for Boy Scouts (yes, I was both a Cub and Boy Scout).

Did my mother throw out my comic book collection? She says no but they disappeared somehow. I quit about the same time you did. Puberty took over and it was downhill from there.

You brightened my day, Chris as I am bogged down in edits and rewrites. Thanks.

Lots of news out of Toronto on films getting financed. I see bidding war on Chris Rock's movie and others.

Chris Knipp
09-10-2014, 05:41 PM
I really learned a lot from Classics Illustrated comic books. Most of those books I would not have read anyway. If you had saved your comics maybe some would have had a good resale value. Certainly some do.