PDA

View Full Version : Malificent

cinemabon
05-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Directed by Robert Stromberg (debut)

I know these hallow halls are preserved for more noble fair so I will make my comment brief so you can ignore it and move on. Rarely have I seen a "Disney" movie with more courage to be different, to be modern, to be bold, to be uplifting of the female spirit than I have with this film.

First, and I'm speaking from the heart and not the mind, let me say that unequivocally Angelina Jolie owns this part. She is quite stunning in her performance and as will nearly every critic in America agree (unless you know who has his say, Mr. K). She is flawless in her execution and carries so much weight in the film that even with the fluff actors needed for plot devices, she shines with incredible screen presence. Australian cinematographer Dean Semler's (The Longest Yard) camera work couldn't be more kind to that ageless face with her brushed up cheekbones and piercing stare. Two-time Oscar winning Robert Stromberg (art design) makes his directorial debut by weaving his camera through some of the most beautiful and elaborate sets ever created for a fantasy film. Stromberg definitely has an eye for beauty. Even when Jolie turns wicked and pale, she glows from within as Stromberg refuses to douse her with an overload of green gels. The score by James Newton Howard (nominated eight times) is one of his best, and one I plan to purchase as it is filled with rich musical queues that give the visuals just the right amount of invisible support.

I went in expecting a fluff film and walked away stunned. As someone who loves fantasy and science fiction, this film fulfilled everything I've been wanting to see in a fantasy piece for a very long time. And who would guess what it took to break that curse.

I know not what course others may take, but as for me... highly recommended.

Chris Knipp
05-31-2014, 12:43 PM
May see it but the new X-Men seems to deserve priority? A.O. Scott of the NY Times gave MALEFICENT a surprisingly high rating. Others did not judging by Metacritic.