PDA

View Full Version : PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN dies at 46

Chris Knipp
02-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, has died from a drug overdose

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/571/av9f.jpg
Philip Seymour Hoffman at the Venice Film Festival in 2012.
Gabriel Bouys/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

From the New York Times: (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?_r=0)
The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.
The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, was found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.
Investigators found a syringe in his arm and an envelope containing what is believed to be heroin, the official said.
“It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose,” the official said. “The syringe was in his arm.”
Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in the 2005 film “Capote,” in which he portrayed the writer Truman Capote.
He had undergone treatment for drug addiction in the past, and spoke in interviews about “falling off the wagon” last year after remaining clean for 23 years.
By around 2 p.m, more than a hundred people had gathered outside the address where the actor was found, in a brick apartment building on Bethune Street. The crowd was growing by the minute.
As people passed, they stopped, snapped photos, held hands and watched. They seemed to be waiting.
“He’s a local. He’s a fixture in this neighborhood,” said Christian McCulloch, 39, who said that he lives nearby. “You see him with his kids in the coffee shops, he is so sweet. It’s desperately sad.”
At a short distance from the crowd, two men who identified themselves as friends embraced, sobbing.
A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman’s New York production company declined to comment. “I don’t have a comment at this time on that, thank you,” she said.

From USA Today: (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/02/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead/5162669/)
The actor has three children — Cooper, 10; Tallulah 7, and Willa, 5 — with costume designer Mimi O'Donnell.
Hoffman was nominated four times for an Oscar and won the best actor award for Capote in 2006.
He most recently starred as Plutarch Heavensbee in the summer blockbuster The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. He will reprise the role in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I, set for a November release. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II is currently filming.
Hoffman recieved wide acclaim for his stage work as well.
He was a member of New York's LAByrinth Theater Company, whose other members include Ethan Hawke, Bobby Cannavale and acclaimed playwright Steven Adly Guirgis. Hoffman worked as a director as well, earning Drama Desk Award nominations for his direction of Guirgis's Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train and Our Lady of 121st Street.

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

After a slow start 22 years ago, Hoffman acquired a well-earned reputation as one of the most accomplished American film actors working. This surely was due in large part initially to his being prominently featured by Paul Thomas Anderson (often a champion and judicious user of actors) in most of his films, starting with his debut Hard Eight and continuing with roles in Boogie Nights, Magnolia, (where he is very memorable), and continuing with Punch Drunk Love and The Master (where his role was central).

It was also due to the actor's exceptional gifts and his tireless energy.

He also had roles in The Big Lebowski and The Talented Mr. Ripley. He worked in all kinds of projects, from mainstream blockbusters like Mission Impossible or The Hunger Games to edgier pieces like Savages or virtuoso acting displays like Capote (NYFF 2005 (http://www.filmleaf.net/articles/features/nyff05/capote.htm)) and Synecdoche, New York .

Hoffman's entire filmography as listed on IMDb follows:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (filming)
2014 Happyish (TV Series) (post-production)
2014 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (post-production)
2014 A Most Wanted Man
2014 God's Pocket
2013 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
2012 Back Beyond (Video short)
2012 A Late Quartet
2012 The Master
2011 Moneyball
2011 The Ides of March
2011 A Child's Garden of Poetry (TV Movie) (voice)
2010 Jack Goes Boating
2009 Arthur (TV Series)
2009 The Invention of Lying
2009 Pirate Radio
2009 Mary and Max
2008/I Doubt
2008 Synecdoche, New York
2007 Charlie Wilson's War
2007 Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
2007 The Savages
2006 Mission: Impossible III
2005 Capote
2005 Empire Falls (TV Movie)
2005 Strangers with Candy
2004 Along Came Polly
2003 Cold Mountain
2003 Mattress Man Commercial (Video short)
2003 Owning Mahowny
2002 25th Hour
2002 Red Dragon
2002 Punch-Drunk Love
2002 Love Liza
2000 Almost Famous
2000 State and Main
1999 The Talented Mr. Ripley
1999 Magnolia
1999 Flawless
1998 Patch Adams
1998 Happiness
1998 The Big Lebowski
1998 Next Stop Wonderland
1998 Montana
1997 Liberty! The American Revolution (TV Mini-Series)
1997 Culture (Short)
1997 Boogie Nights
1996 Twister
1996 Hard Eight
1995 The Fifteen Minute Hamlet (Short)
1994 Nobody's Fool
The Fifteen Minute Hamlet (Short)
1994 When a Man Loves a Woman
1994 The Yearling (TV Movie)
1994 Szuler
1994 The Getaway
1993 Money for Nothing
1993 My Boyfriend's Back
1993 Joey Breaker
1992 Scent of a Woman
1992 Leap of Faith
1992 My New Gun
1991 Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole
1991 Law & Order (TV Series)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/37/88f4.jpg
(Photo: Danny Moloshok, Invision/AP)

Chris Knipp
02-03-2014, 09:50 AM
NIce tributes to Hoffman in the GUARDIAN from Peter Bradshaw (http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dies) and Xian Brooks. (http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2014/feb/03/philip-seymour-hoffman-video-appreciation)

"I think it's safe to say that Philip Seyour Hoffman was the greatest character actor of his generation, and one of the reasons was that he was bold enough and ambitious enough and good enough to transcend that pigeon hole. He could play lead roles; he could be a movie star; he could do anything from Truman Capote to the obsequious P.A. in The Big Lebowski to Lancaster Dodd, the snake oil salesman at the heart of The Master..." -- Xian Brooks.

Johann
02-06-2014, 08:07 AM
This is sad. I will miss that man.

I watched Punch-Drunk Love last saturday, so this is weird timing.
I loved the Mattress Man "commercial" he did on the special features of that DVD.
People need to know how good Philip was- he truly doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Industry types know him, but not enough everyday peeple.
He deserved an Oscar nomination for The Master- which now stands as his best work, better than Capote to me.