Best Original Song
"Atlas"— “he Hunger Games: Catching Fire
"Let It Go" — Frozen
"Ordinary Love" — Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom
"Please Mr. Kennedy" — Inside Llewyn Davis
"Sweeter Than Fiction" — One Chance

Johann
12-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Is it me or do the NY Film Critics seem to nail it and the Golden Globes kind-of don't?
Scorsese snubbed again for Directing honors. What is going on?
The man's directing skills are never in question.

Idris Elba may get a trophy. His role as Mandela was timely.

Chris Knipp
12-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Is it me or do the NY Film Critics seem to nail it and the Golden Globes kind-of don't?

Idria Elba may get a trophy. His role as Mandela was timely.
--Johann.

I think the NYFC is a more sophisticated group, though handicappers seem to say their Best Picture choice usually does NOT win. That doesn't mean it's a bad choice though. Anyway we don't know what the Golden Globes actual awards will be yet. Wait till next year. There seems to be almost as much rallying around AMERICAN HUSTLE as around Russell's earlier late release SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, but I don't think it's the kind of uplifting crowd-pleaser that will win over the oldsters in the Motion Picture Academy. I'm not a handicapper though.

Indeed they lucked out in a macabre way with the Mandela film since Mandela died just before its release, with wordwide free publicity.

The secrecy surrounding Scorsese's WOLF OF WALL STREET may not have helped it with awards and nominations, or maybe it just isn't a very appealing film. It looks like a glitzier version of what I thought was a great little film, a serious role for Vin Diesel by the way, BOILER ROOM (Ben Younter, 2000). It is odd that Scorsese gets passed over. In some areas he has a lot of clout, I thought.

Chris Knipp
12-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Idria Elba may get a trophy. His role as Mandela was timely.
--Johann.

I think the NYFC is a more sophisticated group, though handicappers seem to say their Best Picture choice usually does NOT win. That doesn't mean it's a bad choice though. Anyway we don't know what the Golden Globes actual awards will be yet. Wait till next year. There seems to be almost as much rallying around AMERICAN HUSTLE as around Russell's earlier late release SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, but I don't think it's the kind of uplifting crowd-pleaser that will win over the oldsters in the Motion Picture Academy. I'm not a handicapper though.

Indeed they lucked out in a macabre way with the Mandela film since Mandela died just before its release, with wordwide free publicity.

The secrecy surrounding Scorsese's WOLF OF WALL STREET may not have helped it with awards and nominations, or maybe it just isn't a very appealing film. It looks like a glitzier version of what I thought was a great little film, a serious role for Vin Diesel by the way, BOILER ROOM (Ben Younter, 2000). In my BEST MOVIES OF 2013 SO FAR thread, which consists of individual, personal lists, note that Richard Brody, Manohla Dargis, and A.O. Scortt all list THE WOLF OF WALL STREET among their top films of the year.

Chris Knipp
12-15-2013, 08:03 AM
European Film Awards, Berlin, 2013

Sorrentino's THE GREAT BEAUTY was the big winner.

Paolo Sorrentino’s “The Great Beauty” from Italy claimed three top prizes at the 26th annual European Film Awards on Saturday in Berlin, where it won for best picture and best director for Mr. Sorrentino, and best actor for Toni Servillo. The film follows Mr. Servillo’s character after his 65th birthday as he takes in the sights and sounds of Rome. Voted on by 2,900 members of the European Film Academy, Joshua Oppenheimer’s “The Act of Killing” won the prize for best documentary, and Veerle Baetens took the best actress award for her role in the Belgian film “The Broken Circle Breakdown.” “Blue Is the Warmest Color,” which won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes International Film Festival in May, was shut out.--Adam W. Kepler, NY Times. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/movies/italian-film-wins-honors-in-europe.html?src=recg)

EUROPEAN FILM
LA GRANDE BELLEZZA
THE GREAT BEAUTY
Italy/France , 140 min
DIRECTED BY: Paolo Sorrentino
WRITTEN BY: Paolo Sorrentino & Umberto Contarello
PRODUCED BY: Nicola Giuliano & Francesca Cima

EUROPEAN COMEDY
DEN SKALDEDE FRISØR
LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED
Denmark, 111 min
DIRECTED BY: Susanne Bier
WRITTEN BY: Anders Thomas Jensen & Susanne Bier
PRODUCED BY: Sisse Graum Jørgensen, Vibeke Windeløv

EUROPEAN DISCOVERY – Prix FIPRESCI
OH BOY
Germany, 83 min
WRITTEN & DIRECTED BY: Jan Ole Gerster
PRODUCED BY: Marcos Kantis & Alexander Wadouh

EUROPEAN DOCUMENTARY
THE ACT OF KILLING
Denmark/Norway/UK, 159 min
DIRECTED BY: Joshua Oppenheimer
PRODUCED BY: Signe Byrge Sørensen

EUROPEAN ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
THE CONGRESS
Israel/Germany/Poland/Luxembourg/France/Belgium, 120 min
WRITTEN & DIRECTED BY: Ari Folman
ANIMATION: Yoni Goodman

EUROPEAN SHORT FILM
Valladolid Short Film Nominee
DOOD VAN EEN SCHADUW
DEATH OF A SHADOW
directed by Tom Van Avermaet
Belgium/France 2012, 20 min, fiction

EUROPEAN DIRECTOR
Paolo Sorrentino for LA GRANDE BELLEZZA (THE GREAT BEAUTY)

EUROPEAN ACTRESS
Veerle Baetens in THE BROKEN CIRCLE BREAKDOWN

EUROPEAN ACTOR
Toni Servillo in LA GRANDE BELLEZZA (THE GREAT BEAUTY)

EUROPEAN SCREENWRITER
François Ozon for DANS LA MAISON (IN THE HOUSE)

EUROPEAN CINEMATOGRAPHER – Prix CARLO DI PALMA
Asaf Sudry
for LEMALE ET HA’HALAL
FILL THE VOID
Israel

EUROPEAN EDITOR
Cristiano Travaglioli
for LA GRANDE BELLEZZA
THE GREAT BEAUTY
Italy/France

EUROPEAN PRODUCTION DESIGNER
Sarah Greenwood
for ANNA KARENINA
UK

EUROPEAN COSTUME DESIGNER
Paco Delgado
for BLANCANIEVES
Spain/France

EUROPEAN COMPOSER
Ennio Morricone
for THE BEST OFFER
Italy

EUROPEAN SOUND DESIGNER
Matz Müller & Erik Mischijew
for PARADIES: GLAUBE
PARADISE: FAITH
Austria/Germany/France

EUROPEAN FILM ACADEMY LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Catherine Deneuve

EUROPEAN ACHIEVEMENT IN WORLD CINEMA
Pedro Almodóvar

EUROPEAN CO-PRODUCTION AWARD– Prix EURIMAGES
Ada Solomon

PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD for Best European Film
THE GILDED CAGE (La Cage Doree)
Portugal/France

7 December 2013. Source: http://www.europeanfilmawards.eu/en_EN/home/127909

Johann
12-16-2013, 09:13 AM
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET is another unexpected film from Scorsese. I can never predict what he will do next, and I like that.
I will see that one without question. It runs 3 hours long. (and cost $100 Million to make!)
Interesting to learn that Ridley Scott was offered this film first, and that Marty shot it on FILM, with the same lenses he used on
Bringing Out The Dead.

I might also see 47 Ronin Christmas day. I've seen the trailer and it's a far FAR cry from the original.
But it may have something worthwhile in it.

Chris Knipp
12-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Film Comment's 2013 Best Lists.
This poll in its 14th year combines votes from 100 critics.

Top 50 Films Released in 2013
1. Joel & Ethan Coen’s Inside Llewyn Davis
2. Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave
3. Richard Linklater’s Before Midnight
4. Joshua Oppenheimer’s The Act of Killing
5. Jia Zhang-ke’s A Touch of Sin
6. Lucien Castaing-Taylor & Véréna Paravel’s Leviathan
7. Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity
8. Andrew Bujalski’s Computer Chess
9. Noah Baumbach’s Frances Ha
10. Shane Carruth’s Upstream Color
11. Museum Hours, Director: Jem Cohen
12. Blue Is the Warmest Color, Director: Abdellatif Kechiche
13. Bastards, Director: Claire Denis
14. Spring Breakers, Director: Harmony Korine
15. Like Someone in Love, Director: Abbas Kiarostami
16. Stories We Tell, Director: Sarah Polley
17. Her, Director: Spike Jonze
18. Nebraska, Director: Alexander Payne
19. American Hustle, Director: David O. Russell
20. The Grandmaster, Director: Wong Kar Wai
21. At Berkeley, Director: Frederick Wiseman
22. Beyond the Hills, Director: Cristian Mungiu
23. No, Director: Pablo Larraín
24. The Great Beauty, Director: Paolo Sorrentino
25. Blue Jasmine, Director: Woody Allen
26. All Is Lost, Director: J.C. Chandor
27. Post Tenebras Lux, Director: Carlos Reygadas
28. Something in the Air, Director: Olivier Assayas
29. Viola, Director: Matías Piñeiro
30. Fruitvale Station, Director: Ryan Coogler
31. To the Wonder, Director: Terrence Malick
32. Night Across the Street, Director: Raúl Ruiz
33. Room 237, Director: Rodney Ascher
34. Faust, Director: Aleksandr Sokurov
35. Let the Fire Burn, Director: Jason Osder
36. Le Pont du Nord, Director: Jacques Rivette
37. The Wolf of Wall Street, Director: Martin Scorsese
38. You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet, Director: Alain Resnais
39. The Last Time I Saw Macao, Director: João Pedro Rodrigues
40. The Past, Director: Asghar Farhadi
41. The Square, Director: Jehane Noujaim
42. The Wind Rises, Director: Hayao Miyazaki
43. Drug War, Director: Johnnie To
44. Cousin Jules, Director: Dominique Benicheti
45. Much Ado About Nothing, Director: Joss Whedon
46. Passion, Director: Brian De Palma
47. Short Term 12, Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
48. Dallas Buyers Club, Director: Jean-Marc Vallee
49. Berberian Sound Studio, Director: Peter Strickland
50. Captain Phillips, Director: Paul Greengrass
FilmComment.com listing. (http://www.filmcomment.com/entry/50-best-films-of-2013)

Top 20 Films of 2013 Without Distribution
1. Philippe Garrel's Jealousy
2. Tsai Ming-liang's Stray Dogs
3. Joaquim Pinto's What Now? Remind Me
4. Hong Sang-soo's Nobody's Daughter Haewon
5. Catherine Breillat's Abuse of Weakness
6. Hong Sang-soo's Our Sunhi
7. Ramon Zürcher's The Strange Little Cat
8. Ben Rivers & Ben Russell's A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness
9. Albert Serra's Story of My Death
10. Fernando Eimbcke's Club Sandwich
11. Closed Curtain, Director: Jafar Panahi
12. Til Madness Do Us Part, Director: Wang Bing
13. Three Interpretation Exercises, Director: Cristi Puiu
14. Stemple Pass, Director: James Benning
15. People’s Park, Directors: Libbie D. Cohn & J. P. Sniadecki
16. The Strange Color of Your Body’s Tears, Directors: Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani
17. La Ultima Película, Directors: Raya Martin & Mark Peranson
18. Butter on the Latch, Director: Josephine Decker
19. Blind Detective, Director: Johnnie To
20. Coast of Death, Director: Lois Patiño
FilmComment.com listing.. (http://filmcomment.com/entry/20-best-undistributed-films-of-2013)

oscar jubis
12-21-2013, 12:31 AM
I re-watched a few of my very favorite movies released this year and the only one that depreciated was #4 (list posted) The Act of Killing. I think there is value in the film's outrageous conceit: to persuade a group of Indonesian, right-wing, mass killers to recreate or dramatize their atrocities and thus exhibit their sadistic impulses and joy in notoriety. It's a most outrageous documentary, but not substantial enough for more than one viewing. It works for me as a demonstration of aspects of human nature usually concealed but it feels narrow in scope. The events here need more context, or some kind of counterpoint. I would have drawn out parallels between US foreign policy towards Indonesia in the 60s and other parts of the world where the US allowed and encouraged right-wing dictators to kill with impunity whoever was perceived as the enemy under the pretext of anti-communism.

Chris Knipp
12-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Good that you revised your opinion. But I pointed out more things wrong with the over-praised and widely misread THE ACT OF KILLING than you mention in my review (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3441-New-Directors-New-Films-and-Film-Comment-Selects-2013&p=29809#post29809)for New Directors/New Films early this year. I'm so fair you can hardly tell how much I hated THE ACT OF KILLING but if you read closely you'll find I questioned all of it and found it tasteless and repulsive. Bizarre and grotesque documentaries" always get a lot of attention. Ever see MONDO CANE?

Chris Knipp
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Oscar, this isn't where you put your list, which was here. (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3626-Best-movies-of-2013-so-far&p=31430#post31430) Or was there some other list? I don't even see THE ACT OF KILING. I had meant this thread to be for collective voted lists.
Fiction Features:

I. Paradise: Faith (Austria)
II. Before Midnight (USA), Here and There (Mexico) and You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet (France)
III. Beyond the Hills (Romania), Blue is the Warmest Color (France), Frances Ha (USA), Like Someone in Love (France/Japan), Lore (Germany), and Post Tenebras Lux (Mexico)

Documentaries

Leviathan (USA), Museum Hours (Austria/USA), Stories We Tell (Canada), 56 Up (United Kingdom), Room 237 (US)
I could watch any of those docs again (I have not seen Room 237 though). I hae watched POST TENEBRAS LUX twice. My sense of it is so tenuous though I left it off my lists so far. I've partially rewatched LEVIATHON. In a sense watching any one of Apted's UP series is rewatching earlier ones; that's the trouble with them. But I love them anyway. The gentle MUSEUM HOURS one could rewatch parts of at any time. One might eventually get tired of STORIES WE TELL but not before rewatching it a few times I guess.

Leos Carax's MAUVAIS SANG has been reissued. I have rewatched it several times. My feeling is always that a movie that is more about style than story you can pick up and rewatch at any point, any time. I have watched Farhadi's THE PAST/LE PASSÉ twice. I can't say I totally wanted to. There is a lot in BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR and one can rewatch it for technique but after repetitions of some scenes they are going to seem pretty obvious. Kechiche is a loving craftsman but he's not always very original, in this one.

oscar jubis
12-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I was referring specifically to the ranking of The Act of Killing in the poll you posted immediately before my comment. It's obvious that many of those polled by Film Comment regard it as a great film, for it to be ranked as the fourth best film of the year in a poll that includes both fictional and documentary features. I think your dismissal of the film is too facile, even though we both like it less than the consensus.

Chris Knipp
12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
I beg to suggest that your own "dismissal" of my evaluation and review itself is "too facile."

I may dislike THE ACT OF KILLING more than you. I certainly distrust it. But I have given it my careful consideration. It was a painful process to evaluate this film. I watched every minute of it with the utmost attention from beginning to end. I researched its background before writing the first word of my review. How is that "facile"?

I call readers/viewers' attention to a review (http://www.insideindonesia.org/weekly-articles/review-an-act-of-manipulation)in an Indonesian source by Robert Cribb, a professor of Asian history and politics at the Australian National University who has studied and written about the history of these events. Professor Cribb has made Indonesian massacres and their origins one of his primary topics of research. He questions the veracity of the latter, "repentant" scenes, and points out the incompleteness and inaccuracy of the depiction of the massacres -- specifically the focus on the group of aging gangsters Oppenheimer had befriended and gained access to, to the exclusion of the military. Cribb explains how he finds the film "deeply misleading." I consider it also tasteless. But of curse for students of the grim period in Indonesian history it has now become a film they have to watch (note that there are two quite different versions). I didn't previously cite Cribb but I think I made all this clear in my original review.

I fail to see what is "facile" or merely a "dismissal" in my views about this film.

Chris Knipp
01-14-2014, 12:01 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/607/t045.jpg (http://www.goldenglobes.com/behind-scenes-0)

The Golden Globes are out this week. Winners below in bold.

Best features: 12 YEARS A SLAVE: you've got to suffer this year to see the Oscar hopefuls; but then, there's AMERICAN HUSTLE, so you can have some fun too. MATTHEW MCCAUGHNHEY: will he ever look fit and handsome again, and will I ever learn to spell his name? Supporting actor JARED LEHTO. Looks like he didn't dress up for the awards; maybe he couldn't decide whether to go in drag or not? Supporting actress: This "drama" vs. "musical or comedy" split allows the voters to hedge their bets. But they drop it for Director and Screenplay; only one winner allowed for that. Logic? And that for me really hurts, since I have problems with both choices. Best Original Score: hopefully you didn't notice it, but unfortunately toward the end you probably did, thought it wasn't as obtrusieve as GRAVITY's. Consider: did it make sense to nominate THE WIND RISES for Best Foreign Language Film and not Best Animated Feature Film (instead)? Choice that pleases me (but it fits with European awards elsewhere): choosing THE GREAT BEAUTY as Best Foreign. For all the TV winners (including Michael Douglas for BEHIND THE CHANDELIER) see the Golden Glob site (http://www.goldenglobes.com/golden_globe_winners) or the Wikipedia article. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_Golden_Globe_Awards) Howler: choice of HER as best screenplay. Will PHILOMENA be the more safe and sane Academy selection? I wonder for Best Director at the Oscars, they will still opt for Cuaron, or shift to one of the other possibilities?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/819/y2zp.jpg
Jared Leto

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/827/wo14.jpg
Amy Adams

Best Motion Picture

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/31/l081.jpg

Drama
12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/46/p3pm.jpg

Musical or Comedy
American Hustle
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama

Actor
Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club as Ron Woodroof
Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave as Solomon Northup
Idris Elba – Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom as Nelson Mandela
Tom Hanks – Captain Phillips as Captain Richard Phillips
Robert Redford – All Is Lost as Our Man

Actress
Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine as Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis
Sandra Bullock – Gravity as Dr. Ryan Stone
Judi Dench – Philomena as Philomena Lee
Emma Thompson – Saving Mr. Banks as P. L. Travers
Kate Winslet – Labor Day as Adele Wheeler

Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street as Jordan Belfort
Christian Bale – American Hustle as Irving Rosenfeld
Bruce Dern – Nebraska as Woody Grant
Oscar Isaac – Inside Llewyn Davis as Llewyn Davis
Joaquin Phoenix – Her as Theodore Twombly

Actress
Amy Adams – American Hustle as Sydney Prosser
Julie Delpy – Before Midnight as Céline Wallace
Greta Gerwig – Frances Ha as Frances Halladay
Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Enough Said as Eva
Meryl Streep – August: Osage County as Violet Weston

Best Supporting Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama, Musical or Comedy

Actor
Jared Leto – Dallas Buyers Club as Rayon
Barkhad Abdi – Captain Phillips as Abduwali Muse
Daniel Brühl – Rush as Niki Lauda
Bradley Cooper – American Hustle as Richie DiMaso
Michael Fassbender – 12 Years a Slave as Edwin Epps

Actress
Jennifer Lawrence – American Hustle as Rosalyn Rosenfeld
Sally Hawkins – Blue Jasmine as Ginger
Lupita Nyong'o – 12 Years a Slave as Patsey
Julia Roberts – August: Osage County as Barbara Weston-Fordham
June Squibb – Nebraska as Kate Grant

Best Director
Alfonso Cuarón – Gravity
Paul Greengrass – Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen – 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne – Nebraska
David O. Russell – American Hustle

Best Screenplay
Spike Jonze – Her
Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope – Philomena
Bob Nelson – Nebraska
John Ridley – 12 Years a Slave
Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell – American Hustle

Best Original Score
Alex Ebert – All Is Lost
Alex Heffes – Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Steven Price – Gravity
John Williams – The Book Thief
Hans Zimmer – 12 Years a Slave

Best Original Song
"Ordinary Love" (U2 and Danger Mouse) – Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
"Atlas" (Coldplay) – The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
"Let It Go" (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez) – Frozen
"Please Mr. Kennedy" (Ed Rush, George Cromarty, T Bone Burnett,
Justin Timberlake, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen) – Inside Llewyn Davis
"Sweeter Than Fiction" (Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff) – One Chance

Best Animated Feature Film
Frozen
The Croods
Despicable Me 2

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/607/z5q9.jpg

Best Foreign Language Film
The Great Beauty (Italy)
Blue Is the Warmest Colour (France)
The Hunt (Denmark)
The Past (Iran)
The Wind Rises (Japan)

Chris Knipp
01-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Oscar nominations announced

Notable omissions: INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS; for Best Foreign, BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR, THE PAST. Robert Redford for Best Actor in ALL IS LOST. ALL IS LOST for Best Picture.

For the full list go here. (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-oscars-2014-nominations-winners-list,0,6878721.story#axzz2qZqYm7an)

Best Picture
"12 Years a Slave"
"American Hustle"
"Captain Phillips"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"Gravity"
"Her"
"Nebraska"
"Philomena"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"
Director
Alfonso Cuarón, "Gravity"
Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
Alexander Payne, "Nebraska"
David O. Russell, "American Hustle"
Martin Scorsese, "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Lead actor
Christian Bale, "American Hustle"
Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years a Slave"
Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Lead actress
Amy Adams, "American Hustle"
Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
Judi Dench, "Philomena"
Meryl Streep, "August: Osage County"
Sandra Bullock, "Gravity"
Supporting actor
Barkhad Abdi, “Captain Phillips”
Bradley Cooper, “American Hustle”
Michael Fassbender, “12 Years a Slave”
Jonah Hill, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club”
Supporting actress
Sally Hawkins, “Blue Jasmine”
Jennifer Lawrence, “American Hustle”
Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave”
Julia Roberts, “August: Osage County”
June Squibb, “Nebraska”
Animated feature film
“The Croods”
“Despicable Me 2”
“Ernest & Celestine”
“Frozen”
“The Wind Rises”
Cinematography
“The Grandmaster,” Philippe Le Sourd
“Gravity,” Emmanuel Lubezki
“Inside Llewyn Davis,” Bruno Delbonnel
“Nebraska,” Phedon Papamichael
“Prisoners,” Roger A. Deakins
Documentary feature
“The Act of Killing”
“Cutie and the Boxer”
“Dirty Wars”
“The Square”
“20 Feet from Stardom”
Foreign language film
“The Broken Circle Breakdown,” Belgium
“The Great Beauty,” Italy
“The Hunt,” Denmark
“The Missing Picture,” Cambodia
“Omar,” Palestine
Sound editing
“All Is Lost,” Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
“Captain Phillips,” Oliver Tarney
“Gravity,” Glenn Freemantle
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” Brent Burge
“Lone Survivor,” Wylie Stateman
Sound mixing
“Captain Phillips,” Chris Burdon, Mark Taylor, Mike Prestwood Smith and Chris Munro
“Gravity,” Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson
“Inside Llewyn Davis,” Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
“Lone Survivor,” Andy Koyama, Beau Borders and David Brownlow
Visual effects
“Gravity,” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds
“Iron Man 3,” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick
“The Lone Ranger,” Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams and John Frazier
“Star Trek Into Darkness,” Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton
Adapted screenplay
“Before Midnight,” written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
“Captain Phillips,” screenplay by Billy Ray
“Philomena,” screenplay by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
“12 Years a Slave,” screenplay by John Ridley
“The Wolf of Wall Street,” screenplay by Terence Winter
Original screenplay
“American Hustle,” written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
“Blue Jasmine,” written by Woody Allen
“Dallas Buyers Club,” written by Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack
“Her,” written by Spike Jonze
“Nebraska,” written by Bob Nelson

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-oscars-2014-nominations-winners-list,0,6878721.story#ixzz2qZrYRiTF