PDA

View Full Version : DALLAS BUYERS CLUB (Jean-Marc Vallée 2013)

Chris Knipp
12-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Jean-Marc Vallée: DALLAS BUYERS CLUB (2013)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8716/opvc.jpg
JARED LETO AND MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY IN DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

Homophobe serves gays because he's got the gay disease

Dallas Buyers Club is an uneven but worthwhile film about the early days of AIDS. It dramatizes the true story of Ron Woodroof, played by Matthew McConaughey in another in his long recent string of bold character roles. Ron is a macho Good Old Boy who lives a wild life. He's a homophobic, alcoholic, cocaine-abusing, womanizing rodeo-rider electrician in Texas in 1985, in the early days of the epidemic. Running on a collision course of drugs, sex, alcohol and overexertion, he collapses one day and winds up in the hospital, nearly dead. There he is tested and informed that he's got HIV -- the "gay disease." The reaction of Woodroof as depicted here, when a doctor running an AZT trial (Denis O'Hare) gives him this terrible news, is to spew forth a stream of expletives and stalk out. (He's had a blood transfusion, so he's got his strength back.) But this isn't just a dramatic gesture. Woodroof eventually winds up becoming a champion of experimental AIDS treatment against the US drug and medical establishment.

Ron Woodroof would never use a mild, kindly name like "gay." He prefers vernacular words like "fag,""fairy," "homo," or more vivid ones we'll not mention here. The doctor has told Ron he has at most 30 days to live. Though he gets that he has AIDS, he does not accept this one-month sentence. Instead his pro-active adoption -- outside of hospital and government-approval limit-setting -- of the latest in anti-AIDS drug and supplement cocktails, enables him to live for seven years with the disease -- at a time when the drug availability situation in the USA is drastic for AIDS sufferers. But not only that: his efforts also enable hundreds of others to prolong their lives. Ron never quite stops being rabidly homophobic. But the majority of the patients his drug-distribution system administers to are gay. And his eventual business partner and best friend in adversity is a transsexual. Not just politics, but also disease, makes strange bedfellows.

One might rashly dismiss Dallas Buyers Club. After all Matthew McConaughey is doing his Good Old Boy shtick once again, even if a still saltier, more outsider version of it. The AIDS topic seems a bit belated. Jean-Marc Vallée is a French Canadian director with little in the way of a consistent style from film to film. He doesn't maintain a very firm hand here: his direction is uneven, the screenplay and editing choppy and at times losing focus. One can reject this movie as transparent "Oscar bait." McConaughey's character is wreathed in the tragedy of a fatal disease, and he has taken that guaranteed step to "serious performance" status -- losing a ton of weight for the role.

Well, it's still important material, and the performances of McConaughey and his co-star Jared Leto (who plays his trannie partner, Rayon) are brave and committed. There's just one thing to remember. As A.O. Scott pointed out (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/movies/matthew-mcconaughey-stars-in-dallas-buyers-club.html?_r=0), the screenplay seriously neglects the social context of AIDS in America in omitting mention of the larger struggles for drug availability of the East Coast ACT-UP community portrayed in David France's documentary, How to Survive a Plague (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3246-New-Directors-New-Films-and-Film-Comment-Selects-2012&p=27539#post27539).

The movie tells the story of Ron Woodroof's war with the drug establishment better than it tells of his personal struggle with AIDS. McConaughey's 50-pound weight loss is just there from the first. It doesn't change. The illness is expressed by glassy eyes and a single token sarcoma-like lesion on the side of his forehead, which goes away when he starts taken drugs and supplements that work. If anything he seems to get better. But what of his seven-year struggle to resist HIV? We remember his drinking and cocaine-snorting more than anything. And he's continually feisty throughout the rest of the movie, except when he collapses. AIDS conditions are not depicted in any detail, nor are they seen in Leto's look or behavior either, though he appears to have lost a lot of weight for his role as Rayon too. But McConaughey's emaciated condition does give his traditional southern swagger a tragic edge in this new context.

At the start of this period the Food and Drug Administration is only allowing the one AIDS drug AZT to be tested in double-blind trials and in too-high doses that are just making full-on AIDS sufferers die faster, and all other drugs available in other countries are illegal. Ron starts a "buyers club" to distribute non-approved drugs and supplements to AIDS patients, and the FDA and pharmaceutical companies fight him tooth and nail. But against arrests, seizures of his stashes, and court, Woodroof still goes on fighting for his life, the new drugs, and his ability to distribute them. The buyers club and some rich gay men's donation of a palatial house provide Ron and Rayon with a living and a better place to operate out of than the cheesy motel they occupy at first.

Dallas Buyers Club's is also a story that says one can achieve recovery and redemption without losing oneself. Eventually Ron does cut down on the booze, because he learns to live healthy, avoid toxins. "Put that back," he tells Rayon when he/she grabs some processed meat or a bag of chips for their grocery cart. But he's always the foul-mouthed, provocative macho man (even when he's too ill to get it up). His feistiness is his primary tool in fighting the establishment.

This move has a dry, no-nonsense quality that contrasts with the corn of Jonathan Demme's Philadelphia. But though Philadelphia may have sounded the death knell of Demme's career as a maker of hip, hilarious movies and was bourgeois and tame, it had the features of a grand, well-made, classy tear-jerker. Besides its A-listers, Hanks and Washington, it had its operatic-dance-with-the-drip-stand moment and its breathless courtroom scenes. Dallas Buyers Club hasn't anything that good. Ron Woodroof has his drip-stand scenes too, but they don't rise to the level of poetry or high drama. They're just shows of pluck or provocation. Vallée's film is most vivid in its early sequences depicting Ron's raucous lifestyle and the hostile encounters when his old buddies decide he's a "fag."

Dallas Buyer's Club, never boldly original as a movie, takes its most conventional turn in Ron's would-be romance with Dr. Saks, the physician he meets his first time in hospital, played by the bland Jennifer Garner. The Dr. Saks character does double duty. Her growing conflict with Dr. Sevard, the supervisor of the AZT trial, dramatizes the way lines are being drawn between patient advocacy and hard-line medical establishment stonewalling (no pun intended). And Ron's persistent efforts to romance her are a nod to rom-com as well as reassurance, if needed, that through it all the sexuality of his fellow AIDS sufferers hasn't rubbed off on him. His final scene is back at a rodeo. Isn't that playing up the pluck a bit? The man is, after all, dying. Yet though McConaughey's character in Mud was subtler, of all his string of recent more adventurous roles this is the one he most fully and memorably inhabits.

Dallas Buyers Club, 117 mins., which debuted at Toronto, was released in the US 22 Nov. 2013.

Chris Knipp
12-04-2013, 07:47 AM
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1117/1pde.jpg

Another documentary about the fight for AIDS drugs--"Fire in the Blood": Millions Die in Africa After Big Pharma Blocks Imports of Generic AIDS Drugs

Besides the excellent and important doc by David France HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (ND/NF 2012) which I reviewed here, I've learned there is one about the equally or more important topic of the fight against Big Pharma to have AIDS drugs available in Africa, where millions have died because of the drug companies greed. This is FIRE IN THE BLOOD (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787067/) (Dylan Mohan Gray) which debuted at Sundance Jan. 2013 and was released (limited) 6 Sept. 2013 Apparently not yet available on home DVD but can be watched online according to information here. (http://www.movieweb.com/movie/fire-in-the-blood) Clearly from reviews not as well made a film as France's but important topic about a battle that was won but is being lost again. Democracy Now had a Jan. Sundance-related piece o (http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/23/fire_in_the_blood_millions_die)n this film.

Johann
03-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Great stuff Chris. I saw it yesterday.

Matthew McConaughey earned his Oscar for Best Actor here. Phenomenal acting job from him.
This is a story that is probably happening right now in America- man is dying, man needs meds, meds that he needs are not "approved" yet by the FDA, meds that are only available south of the border. Man gets desperate, man is dying, man does stupid things, man makes headway- sad story is a redemption story.

I'd never heard of Ron Woodroff or his plight. I guess this is a story that should be told- it will wake you up if you haven't seen it.
The main reason to see this is McConaughey. He really pulls a tour-de-force performance out of his ass. I have never seen him so intense or so interesting as a movie character. Everybody else in the movie doesn't live up to what McConaughey does. Even Jared Leto, who is worthy of a supporting actor Oscar nomination, doesn't hold a candle to what Matthew is doing here.

Chris Knipp
03-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Johann. I like Matthew McConaughey better in MUD which I think a better movie. DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB is "a story that needed to be told" but it's not a great movie and is somewhat clichéd, especially Jared Leto's noble tran. character. Maybe Matthew McConaughey's recent transformation into a serious character actor is a collective effect of all his roles of the past few years rather than any one of them. BERNIE, KILLER JOE, THE PAPERBOY, MUD, MAGIC MIKE, DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET and now the TRUE DETECTIVE TV series opposite Woody Harrelson, counteracting such earlier roles as in THE LINCOLN LAWYER, TWO FOR THE MONEY, SURFER DUDE, FAILURE TO LAUNCH. I wonder how much of this has been intentional and how much just happened but there seems to have been a commitment on his part to choose edgier stuff and make more of is natural skill at the Good Ole Boy role.

Johann
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
The short featurette on the DVD tells us that the whole cast was dedicated to making something special.
But you're right: it's not a great movie. I wouldn't watch it again. Why would you need to see this more than once?
You get the point after one viewing.

And how much is a viewer on Woodroff's side? He gets AIDS by his own ignorance.
The scene where he realizes how he got the disease (unprotected sex with women) was the main scene to me. He's looking at microfische articles on AIDS and the whole world comes crashing down on his head.
How much do you root for a guy who caused his own heartaches?
Can you get on his side when he does illegal activities to save his own life?
His "Regular Joe" good-ol-boy persona is not all that appealing. Would you have a beer with Ron Woodroff?
And if you would, why?
Because I don't have anything to do with or give a flying fig about "Rodeo Culture". Never did. Those are Martians to me.
McConaughey does a fabulous job. He earned his Oscar. But will he ever win another one?

Chris Knipp
03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Good comments, Johann, and in few words you go into more depth and frank analysis of this protagonist's personality than most writers have managed to do.

An unlikable protagonist is an interesting choice and still a rare one though.

Johann
03-25-2014, 07:19 AM
I got the feeling that we are supposed to be on Ron's side, and Jennifer Garner is on his side.
It's just not possible to be on his side. You're on his side for his disease- you feel for the guy, who wants AIDS? Nobody Chachi.
But he does some outrageous things as a result of this news. Dressing up like a Priest, for one. What border guard would question a man of the cloth? LOL

If Ron was more likable, and had more humanity, then maybe I'd root for him all down the line.
But all he really is is a rodeo guy who snorts coke, drinks like a fish and bangs a lot of women without a care in the world.
Who cares if he got AIDS in that sense?
You make your bed, you LIE IN IT. Mr. Woodroff......

Chris Knipp
03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
You think the movie is pushing us to like an unlikable man, okay, but I'd not say he deserves the punishment of a terrible disease. I'd not assume that godlike stance. I have not earned that right. Have you?

Johann
03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
It's nothing to do with Being Godlike. It's about being realistic.
If I was doing what Ron did before he got the disease I wouldn't blame anyone but myself.
And I wouldn't break the Law to save myself. Id exhaust all possibilities before I'd resort to anything close to what Ron does in the movie.

Chris Knipp
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes but AIDS is not a punishment. It's a sexually transmitted disease. You can get it being nice.

Johann
03-26-2014, 12:08 AM
You can get it by being nice. But that isnt this movie.
Ron Woodroff as nice is giving him a bit too much credit.