PDA

View Full Version : THE ACT OF KILLNG (Joshua Oppenheimer 2012)

Chris Knipp
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Joshua Oppenheimer: THE ACT OF KILLING (2012)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1320/8mdb.jpg

Revisiting mass murder in Indonesia as kitsch pageant and therapy

The US-born and London-educated Joshua Oppenheimer reveals exceptional rapport with his grizzly subject, the perpetrators of Indonesian mass murders of communists in the mid-Sixties, in his complicatedly self-referential documentary, The Act of Killing. Culminating a seven-year documentary process, Oppenheimer, who is fluent in Indonesian language, chose to focus on the killers rather than their victims he'd begun by studying, and to draw them into a more revealing place by cooking up a movie about the events for them to both consult on and act in. The creepy experience of watching the mostly unrepentant (and unpunished) gangster death squad bosses ham it up relishing and feebly repenting their youthful exploits as government killers is stunning, but would be more effective if the film were better organized and not so long and repetitive. It's not necessary to be told a dozen times, for instance, that the Indonesian word for "gangster" comes from the phrase "free men"; and seeing mass killer Anwar Congo, essentially the "star" of the show, almost repent three times is not more effective than seeing him do it once, and begins to convince one that he's just playing the role Oppenheimer has set him up for. One also begins to wonder if the horrendous bad taste that pervades most of the scenes is just Indonesian cinema, or owes something to the filmmaker's own lack of distance from the material.

Who is Anwar? When Sukarno was overthrown by Suharto following the tragic 30 September Movement in 1965, Anwar and his friends were promoted from small-time gangsters who sold movie theatre tickets on the black market to death squad leaders. They helped the army kill more than one million alleged communists, ethnic Chinese, and intellectuals in less than a year. As the executioner for the most notorious death squad in his city, Anwar himself killed by his own admission on screen as many as a thousand victims with his own hands. The right wing paramilitary group, Pancasila Youth, that grew out of Anwar's massacre, is prominent today and has government ministers involved in it: the vice president is shown giving a speech touting it and its violence against communists. So here is another appalling thing: the massacres of 1965 are still okay with the Indonesian government and general public. A TV show featuring Answar and his new movie shows this.

The film oscillates between horror and gruesome comedy, especially when it becomes clear Anwar and his cohorts, who apparently started out scalping movie tickets and resented the communists for (Taliban-like?) closing cinemas, are obviously more interested in how sharp they used to look or look now in costume (with prosthetic teeth, died hair, rakish hats) than how culpable they were -- though there's much emphasis on piano-wire garroting, adopted as a "cleaner" (less bloody) way to kill their victims. Some weird connection between the "gangster" identification with "free men" leads to an even weirder and more kitsch outdoor pageant with pretty girls in pink costumes performing the song "Born Free." What a finale! But what does it mean? It all boils down to Anwar Congo's reminiscences. But the restaging of a village massacre, witnessed approvingly by a current government official, is so intense it leaves an old lady stunned, children in tears, and Anwar himself apparently exhausted. Anwar finally seems to identify with his victims to life-changing effect when he plays a scene in which he is the communist interrogated and then killed.

It feels as though even in the more honed-down theatrical version of his film (there's a longer one that will be on DVD), Oppenheimer provides too much undigested and indigestible material for most audiences, though certainly as a record of man's inhumanity and moral blindness, this just about takes the cake. A key question is whether the official interpretation of Oppenheimer's story arc is valid. Is the fimmaking pocess truly an unexpected emotional journey for Anwar, from arrogance to regret as he begins to act out and thus more directly face the impact of what he did? Or is that just something he puts on as part of the film-within-the-film? I'm skeptical.

Most of the film was shot in Medan, North Sumatra, Indonesia between 2005 and 2011. I may not agree with Oppenheimer's approach, but it's unusual, and was powerful enough to bring great doc makers Werner Herzog and Errol Morris on board as executive producers.

The Act of Killing , 115 mins., debuted at Telluride August 2012 and has been shown at other festivals including the Berlinale. Originally screened for this review at Lincoln Center's New Directors/New Films series March 2013. A Drafthouse Films release. Began US theatrical release (NYC) was July 19, 2013 with rave reviews: Metacritc rating 88. Now showing at Landmark theaters in New York, Wasnington, DC and Los Anngeles, and coming soon to a dozen other cities across the country (Opera Plaza San Francisco and Shattuck Berkeley Aug. 9.

oscar jubis
09-06-2013, 11:52 PM
The Act of Killing is a very important and compelling, and often beautiful, movie. This falls into the must-see category for me, even though I had some of the same criticisms of the film that you do. I don't think there was a better way to get the principals to reveal themselves than appealing to their vanity and self-importance.

Chris Knipp
09-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a limited stomach for the grotesque and if I'm getting it, I prefer it to be real and necessary (or beautiful, if that's possible), none of which happens here, so I think this movie is overrated, greatly so. Let's hear some other people other than the usual mainstream middle class American critics on this. The fact that this may have been the only way of getting these odious people to talk about their crimes does not mean that it should have been done. Or that any awareness results on either side, theirs or the audiences. Hear Peter Rainer of the Christian Science Monitor:
The effect is intended to be ghastly – which it certainly is – but I was equally repelled by this film’s conceit. Oppenheimer allows murderous thugs free rein to preen their atrocities, and then fobs it all off as some kind of exalted art thing. This is more than an aesthetic crime; it’s a moral crime. What goes on in this movie is dubious, abhorrant, and unenlightening. Think again.