PDA

View Full Version : Julia Dyer: The Playroom (2012)

Chris Knipp
02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Julia Dyer: THE PLAYROOM (2012)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8720/play01ca.jpg
IAM VETETO, JONATHAN MCLENDON, OLIVIA HARRIS, AND ALEXANDRA DOKE IN THE PLAYROOM

Those who get away with it and those who don't

Julia Dyer's The Playroom is a smaller, more claustrophobic version of 1970's suburbia than Ang Lee's posh, star-studded adaptation of Rick Moody's The Ice Storm, which it's been compared to, sometimes unfavorably. Though some small details may not gibe, the intimacy created by Julia and her late sister Gretchen, who died in 2009, author of the screenplay, allows for an elegant structure and a spot-on evocation of Seventies white middle-class American suburban malaise. Accept how cruel and real this story is, and you will appreciate the neatness of the telling. The unities of time, place, and action are faithfully observed. Overlapping the chronology, interspersed, is an escapist, parent-less story told to themselves by the four Cantwell children, from whose point of view all this happens. They gather in the attic playroom around a big lit candle and comment and contribute as their eldest member, the rebellious teenager Maggie (Olivia Harris) makes up the repeated and variously told tale, ripe with wish-fulfillment, of orphaned children shut in a castle who escape by jumping off the roof into the snow, then lying doggo till they're forgotten and can flee. Maggie spins the tale to younger, but deep-voiced and confidently sarcastic Christian (Jonathon McClendon); smaller, innocent Janie (Alexandra Doke); and smallest Sam (Ian Veteto). They squabble, but stick together in the iceless storm of their shaky family life.

Their mom, Donna (Molly Parker), is alcoholic, depressed, and rebellious. She puts drinking so far above homemaking there is nothing for dinner but burnt bacon and eggs and toast. Their father is Martin (John Hawkes), a lawyer (with a soul patch?), a weakling who covers up the strife and conducts a spelling bee at the dinner table, while the kids bring up the big story of the day, the capture of Patty Hearst. Donna calls her a "terrorist," but Maggie says she's "a resistance fighter" and Sam, using a word he's learned from the news story, says their parents are "brainwashed." In his admiring review (http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/movies/the-playroom-directed-by-julia-dyer.html)Stephen Holden of the New York Times described Maggie as exuding "the pent-up rage of Martha in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but there are no grand theatrics here at all.

The children's story is metaphorical, though jumping off the roof is a definite possibililty. The adult story is blunt and ugly and happening right there downstairs, and the kids spy on it. It's a mess of nightly partying at the house by Mr. and Mrs. Cantwell with the childless Clark and Nadia Knotts (Jonathan Brooks and Lydia Mackay). Clark Knott flirts, and worse, with Mrs. Cantwell. Nadia Knotts looks on stony-faced, and weeps. The downstairs couples party is an outwardly bland but underlyingly menacing and grim celebration of alcoholic, adulterous "grownup" anomie -- seen from a certain distance, which makes it less sympathetic. If this is a sexual revolution, it has a DIY clumsiness that is very unimpressive, and, from the younger kids' viewpoint, incomprehensible. Maggie understands it, but does not want to be like her mother.

The kids are in their own world, beautiful and pretty cool, except for the angry Maggie, who yields her virginity to her motorcycle-riding classmate Ryan (Cody Linley), whom she has sex with in the garage, but does not love, though she's ready to ride off with him. Ultimately the four adults, the Cantwells and the Knotts, go wrong, in the wife-swapping Seventies way, but (spoiler alert!) Maggie rides off on the red motorcycle with Ryan and the younger kids simply get up and go to school, if they can catch the bus on time. This house is a mess but everybody cheats, and some can still get away with it.

The overlapping of the attic tale-telling with the daytime and then evening family action provides a sense of control and viewpoint I found satisfying right from the start. I also liked the way the house facade is seen from an angle, avoiding conventional visual cliché. There may seem little sense of space in the interior shots but that fits: the kids are part of the house; they don't step back and look at it. They get glimpses, often ugly ones, of the two partying couples. When Maggie commands her siblings to sleep together up in the attic after the partying gets raucous and hostile there are elements of desperation and denial but also of resolution and escape. The Playroom is a New York Times "Critics Pick." It has not done well otherwise with the press, judging by the Metacritic rating (54). It deserves better: its picture of kids coping with an alcoholic family deserves to be seen, and it's a bit unfair to measure it against the accomplishment of Ang Lee's film or the more complicated structure of Moody's multilayered novel. Dyer captures with sharp realism the awkward, painful intersections of the children's development and their parents' disintegrating marriage (and mother's chain-smoking and alcoholism), even if an outer context is missing and the depth of penetration into any individual character is relatively slight.

The Playroom, 83min, debuted at Tribeca in April 2012 and opened in New York 8 Feb. 2013. Screened for this review at Cinema Village, NYC, 13 Feb. 2013.

oscar jubis
03-29-2013, 12:00 PM
This may sound strange to you, among the very people who watched the film in a theater. This is practically a straight-to-video release. The DVD became available the same day as short theatrical runs at Cinema Village and a theater in LA. Your review is excellent. Not a whole lot to say about the film that you didn't say. This is one in a list of good American films that will be seen by a much smaller audience than it deserves.

Chris Knipp
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my review. It is a shame that some of the best or most interesting films get lost or forgotten even by me. It's harder to remember this one, with so little discussion, so few people seeing it in theaters. And think of all the more justifiably forgotten ones that get wide distribution! Cinema Village, yes. It's nice to be near there. Lower Manhattan puts you within walking distance of every new film that opens in this country, on its opening day.

Right now I'd like to see THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES, but unless you're in NY or LA you have to wait at least another week for it. I can't find any good new movies to see, now that I'm back in Northern California. Nice climate, diminished cinematic scene.

oscar jubis
03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm way behind you. You want to watch The Place Beyond the Pines and I haven't seen Beyond the Hills yet. This year I didn't attend the Miami FF so I don't have much to recommend that you haven't seen. The exception may be Paradise: Faith, which had a huge impact on me. I have seen it 3x now. I think it's great but may be too distressing to recommend to most people I know.

One of my projects right now is to watch the 7 notable 2012 releases I have not watched: Bernie, Tabu, This is Not a Film, 0Dark30, Les Miserables, Moonrise Kingdom, and Django Unchained and finally post my list. Have you seen Blancanieves, which opened in NY today? We're having a "sneek preview" of it Monday.

Chris Knipp
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Some of us (like me and cinemabon) would say you could save your trouble on LES MIZ. I personally was not thrilled by BERNIE but everybody else seems to have been. No, I have not seen BLANCANIEVES -- if I'd been in Paris I would have. Very high rated in France and now here. The PARADISE: FAITH etc. series wasn't in any series I've had access to. I only know some people at FSLC screenings were dubious about them, but Ed Lachman, the cinematographer who often comes to screenings (though not the latest ones), did the non-action shots, and I like to follow his work since I've met him and become aware of it.

TABU -- youlll like, the second half anyway.
ZD30 -- a disappointment, but still a must-see. Or maybe you'll see a value to it I missed.
MOONRISE KINGDOM & DJANGO -- great stuff.
THIS IS NOT A FILM -- liked it.

I have had good access, only did not get to go to Paris last October. I may get a chance to see some new stuff and stuff I've missed at the SFIFF, coming in a month or so. Maybe it will be different with a new director for the film society following the sudden sad deaths of the past two.

Chris Knipp
03-29-2013, 07:45 PM
P.s. Maybe you'll have some suggestions of new Spanish language films in the SFIFF, when their list comes. It will be in a few days that they will announce their whole slate.

oscar jubis
03-30-2013, 12:31 AM
This Paradise series by Seidl is really something. I've see the first two and I think these are highly important, daring, thought-provoking films that may be to discomfort-inducing too have a wide release (I mean wide for a foreign film). I expect highly favorable reviews from most critics except those with a delicate sensibility (perhaps critics from NPR, Wall Street Journal, NY Post, etc). A lot of white people, including myself, will find scenes from Paradise: Love very uncomfortable to watch, and Paradise: Faith, which I think is a masterpiece, may be even more universally distressing to watch.

I'll gladly peruse the slate when announced.

I can recommend the Chilean biopic Violeta Went to Heaven, which opened today in NYC. It was directed by Andres Wood (Machuca).
The Latin American film with the best rep in the fest circuit right now is After Lucia, from Mexico. No surprise there, since it's an Un Certain Regard winner.

From Spain, I hope the SFIFF would show the new film from Cesc Gay: A Gun in Each Hand. Gay's Fiction is one of my favorite films in recent memory that remains undistributed in USA.

The big winner at the MIFF this month was Tanta Agua (So Much Water), from Uruguay. The MIFF screening was a world premiere.
I think you've already seen Post Tenebras Lux.

Chris Knipp
03-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks. Maybe next time you can put recomendations on the new SFIFF 2013 thread (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3472-San-Francisco-International-Film-Festival-2013-%28year-56%29) that I've started (below). No -- I have not seen POOST TENEBRAS LUX. I am doubtful I will like the Seidl films: not a fan of relentless grimness. You may recall I posted Mike D'Angelo's Cannes and Toronto Twitter ratings (or see them here (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2183)). Of course I don't agree with everything he says but begin to know where he overrates films, and otherwise I find him a reliable source; just that he rates so many of the top Cannes and Toronto films is beneficial. And here are those two tweets, which are next to each other:

Post tenebras lux (Reygadas): 48, for now. If demystified, could be 84. Tho' the feeling of ultra-super-mega-pretentiousness might linger.
I will say that the opening rivals SILENT LIGHT's imo (and is not unlike that tour de force crossed with his REVOLUCION short).

Paradise: Love (Seidl): 47. Two hours of mutual exploitation. Individual scenes crackle, but Seidl has one idea, hammers it relentlessly.

I find many, many of D'Angelo's Cannes and Toronto ratings/rankings are in the ballpark, and he has seen most of the big 2012 festival films I have missed. Those two come about 17 films below the top 7 or 8 films on his Cannes list, and the top ones I mostly find spot-on. But I will remember that you recommend them.