PDA

View Full Version : LOOPER (Rian Johnson 2012)

Chris Knipp
09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Rian Johnson: LOOPER (2012)

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/7181/63979.jpg
BRUCE WILLIS AND JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT IN LOOPER

Old hip meets new hip

In his review Anthony Lane of The New Yorker notes (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2012/10/01/121001crci_cinema_lane)the obvious suitability of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis as joint players in Rian Johnson's new time-travel movie given the younger man's fluid and assured performance in the reality-twisting Inception and Willis' equally adept turn in Twelve Monkeys, which, as Lane again points out, was based on Chris Marker's La Jetée, the haunting little French sci-fi classic that shows how the most appaling mishap of time travel may be the way your later and earlier selves could unexpectedly collide. That's what happens in Looper, by Rian Johnson, in whose high school noir debut Brick Gordon-Levitt also starred. (How the actor's career has bloomed in between!) Looper is both a mind-bender and a genre-blender, with various references or sources. Its initial focus on hit-men from a rough, lawless, dystopian urban future may remind you of Blade Runner, which, like this, was a sci-fi noir. Lane points to a basic steal from Terminator, and refers also to links between Looper and The Omen, Signs, Back to the Future, even Close Encounters of the Third Kind. "Kids under twenty, and professors of quantum physics," Lane says, will "eat this stuff for breakfast;" i.e., they'll take the conceptually playful contents of Johnson's new movie in stride. The rest of us will be baffled, though we may enjoy our befuddlement. So here is a hip, young, cool movie, which some will love and others may want to give a wide birth to. The most accessible thing, perhaps oddly, is its elegant, original look, and an overtone of frustrated longing for times just beyond our reach.

I like the offbeat genre mix, the clear, distinctive images, and the odd linking of the two stars -- the ridiculous yet engaging idea that these two actors could be readily passed off, with some visual tricks, as the same person thirty years apart. After months of expectation, however, Looper was a bit of a disappointment for me, so far. It is certainly a leap forward into mainstream, wide-release filmmaking for Rian Johnson, which still bears an individual stamp, and this is a feat in itself. Something like what may happen again when the playwright Martin McDonagh rides forth shortly from his minor film siccess with In Bruges to the quite likely bigger and more widely seen Seven Psychopaths. Mike D'Angelo, whose advance reports I've been following more and more lately, has raved about Looper and put it in his in-flux 2012 Ten Best List, even based on what he said was "a very rough cut" before Cannes. His recent review (http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/looper-uncommonly-crafty-as-action-thriller-uncommonly-exciting-as-art-film-andmdash-and-great-fun-as-both/Content?oid=3028806) opening statement, "Looper uncommonly crafty as action thriller, uncommonly exciting as art film — and great fun as both," may be true, but I missed out a little on both aspects and hence also on the great fun payoff. As D'Angelo says, it might be a more enlighteningly elegiac experience to see one's future, sixty-something self, than to try to alter one's future course, but the focus on such deeper ponderings is weaker than Chris Marker's.

The premise of Looper that if nothing else we must get our heads around is that at a point in the future, the 2070's, murder has become so well restricted that gangsters use time travel (though that now is illegal) to ship their whack jobs to 2044, where hit men called Loopers off them with a crude weapon called a blunderbuss. Young Joe (played by young Joe the actor) uses an ornate antique pocket watch to gauge the time of his executions: he's a Looper. And then he discovers that he's been sent his future self, Old Joe (old Bruce) to whack. When a looper assassinates himself, it's called "closing the loop." Young Joe doesn't want to do it. What's he going to do about it?

Maybe the moment when this question might best be answered, though it isn't, comes when the two Joes sit opposite each other in the booth of a classic diner, staring at each other over identical plates of steak and eggs, "rare and scrambled." This is the closest at least when it feels like some Tarantino-esque dialogue is going to be uttered. But it isn't. Nor is the voice-over throughout the film to explain things as frequent or as pungent as one might have hoped.

Young Joe and his cohorts have a boss from the future, the bearded and amiable-seeming but actually cold and cruel Abe (Jeff Daniels, who presided in Brick) And there's an obstreperous fuck-up in the crew called Kid Blue (Noah Segan), who has a strong presence but remains a minor player in the action.

The plot has an important overlay: whether or not Old Joe keeps Young Joe from offing him or Young Joe successfully rebuffs Abe's minions who are sent to get him, there is someone else who can foul things up. This is a character callled The Rainmaker -- whom Young Joe later encounters as a child -- who has a superabundance of "TK" mutations that allow people to levitate things, and also is bent on closing all the loops. It will be a good thing to get rid of The Rainmaker back in 2044, if possible.

Young Joe has a best friend, Seth (a wispy and hysterical Paul Dano) whom he betrays after he messes up and must hide. Each Looper hit is rewarded with a number of bars of silver, and Young Joe has been stashing his away for years. He cares about them more than people.

Though violence in the form of Western style shootouts and cold blooded executions continues throughout the film, the action is divided into a city segment at the beginning and a country one at the end. This transition is nimbly executed. There is no love interest till Looper's pastoral last segment, when he hides out in a cornfield and seeks refuge from Sara (Emily Blunt), whose farm it is, and who has a suspiciously prescient and spooky child called (El?) Cid (Pierce Gagnon, whose performance creeps up on us nicely). The 2040's are rife with vagrants, it seems, and Sara warns Young Joe at rifle point that she has recently killed several of them.

It remains to discuss the makeup or CGI or whatever applied to Gordon-Levitt to make him look more like a young Bruce Willis, which many have considered to be a grievous error, only further underlining the fact that the two actors don't look much alike. This is slightly unfair. Gordon-Levitt has mastered a number of Willis-esque intonations and gestures, including trademark grimaces and smirks, and there are times when his mouth and cheeks as altered quite successfully evoke Willis. A bit of trouble comes when the two actors sit across from each other in the diner, when Willis' head looks clearly larger and rounder than Gordon-Levitt's. This did not bother me very much: the physical differences, but induced similarities, make one ponder the strange alterations of time. But one can imagine a time in the future when CGI will have advanced to the point where Willis could play both himself and young Willis, or vice versa for Gordon-Leavitt. If this matters.

The consensus on Looper, which has gotten rave reviews, is that Johnson does a good job of avoiding the usual loopholes time-travel sci-fi stories tend to collect, but doesn't avoid then totally. Why, one might ask, is it always assumed that by traveling to the past one can alter the future? But this is the sine qua non of the genre. Peter Debruge of Variety thinks (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948218?refcatid=31") it's foolish to send mob enemies to the past to be killed because they might rearrange their futures back there; it would be better, Debruge asserts, to dump them forward into the future. Different writers have understood or misunderstood the movie quite variously, and that may point to its future as a hotly discussed cult film.

After much advance promotion set further back in time, Looper debuted, in the nearer past, at Toronto. It opened, in the present, in the US and other world markets September 28, 2012; France Oct. 31.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/9117/20232834jpgr640600b1d6d.jpg

[CHRIS KNIPP]

tabuno
09-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Every so often Chris writes a commentary on a movie that isn't strongly supported by his own words, not that he contradicts himself, it's that sometimes he leaves out any supporting reasons by omission and with Looper, this is what he appears to have done. Chris states that "After months of expectation, however, Looper was a bit of a disappointment for me, so far." Chris uses a decent amount of description of the movie and writes about other critics glowing opinions; and yet he somehow leaves out what was really a bit disappointing for him. Such omission always makes it hard to comment on something that's not being stated. Nevertheless, it appears to me that Chris enjoyed the movie, thought it was decent and good, but as to how good, it's not really clear, and why. Thus I hedge here to offer up my own personal experience with the movie for now. Playing it safe so to speak.

Chris Knipp
09-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Chris enjoyed the movie, thought it was decent and good, but as to how good, it's not really clear, and why.

You are absolutely right. And I'm sorry to disappoint you, tabuno. I realize I have not gone into detail about how I rate the movie or how I reacted to it. After Mike D'Angelo's long rating it high in his ten favorites of the year I hoped to be more dazzled and entertained. Nonetheless it does stand out as original and well done and still more mainstream for this director than before. If he passes off something this hip and cool as mainstream, that's a high accomplishment, and this appears to be a very wide release. I might need to see it again and follow it better. For another website I gave it seven stars out of ten, and in letter grades I'd give it either a B or a B+, I guess a B+. I'd like to give it an A-, if I followed it more and therefore could enjoy it ore. It's not in a league with MOONRISE KINGDOM or THE MASTER, and I didn't enjoy it as I did COSMPOPOLIS, which I understood perfectly (all too well?)

What other great American movies are going to come out in the rest of the year I do not know. As often happens I may be more impressed by documentaries or foreign films; I already have plenty of those for Best of 2012 lists. And soon I will be seeing Larraín's NO, Haneke's AMOUR, and Carax's HOLY MOTORS. Maybe SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK will be great? I liked LIFE OF PI but we can't consider that American though it is 98% English language. FRANCES HA. DAMSELS IN DISTRESS is another disappointment but special to me from an auteur I love.

I hope you'll stop hedging, tabuno, and tell about your LOOPER experience.

tabuno
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Hmmm.... If one didn't know anything about a movie and saw it fresh, would it thus be better or worse as a movie? How fascinating that such a subjective mental impression can be so influential in the outcome of a movie. Would it not be better to just go see a movie without reading a review first?

Chris Knipp
10-01-2012, 06:41 AM
That's debatable. Some films come pristine and unknown. That is rare though, except at festivals, and even at them there is plenty of prior hype. Reviewers at screenings get press kits. They would do well to consult them, before as well as after the screening.

tabuno
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
The question about expectation is whether or read or listen to any of the hype before one sees a movie. Thus the question about expectations distorting the perception and thus judgment about a movie, is "Is better to choose not to know about a film and other's impressions before experiencing a film?"

Chris Knipp
10-02-2012, 06:29 AM
It is better to avoid hype and not see trailers, but if you live in the world and go to commercial releases regularly it's hard to avoid contamination. It's okay to read words about the movie, plot summary, description, not so good to see a lot of images from it, prior to first viewing.

Having information about the film, the story source, the actors, the director's prior history, is often useful, and sometimes more necessary than others. For reviewer it's essential to have this information and just as well to have it in advance of a viewing. For a film critic not knowing about a movie isn't a choice, it's a mistake.

Chris Knipp
10-02-2012, 06:38 AM
I've read a few more reviews of LOOPER and it looks like it's in the nature of the movie that the critics tend to spend more time than usual describing it, its premises, its concepts, and its plot line, and that fills up space that might normally be more devoted to critical assessment and saying how it made the writer feel. LOOPER is more than usual a mind game rather than for the heart. So it's not just me. Tweets exchanged with Mike D'A. yesterday talk about how while the critical response is very high, there is some audience backlash because of the publicists misleadingly hyping of the movie as an actioner, leading to disappointment.

Mike D'Angelo ‏@gemko
@selfstyledsiren @LCosgrove Everyone = critics. It's not the high-octane action film the ads sell it as, so bound to disappoint many.
--Twitter, Oct. 1, 2012.

tabuno
10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Watching this movie, I didn't really get too caught up in regards to the mind game because for me it really wasn't that difficult to get my mind around it. For me Looper was a lot about the heart and the conflict between personal and societal goodness. The primary underlying theme of this movie was the deeper ethical, moral, emotional dilemma that faces all of us everyday in our personal lives, making decisions, consciously or note, that impact ourselves and others. In Looper's case, it was life or death decisions about now and the future about ourselves and others on the biggest of scales. I don't know how much more of the heart a movie can get than this. I would saw from a mind game stand point, it would be much more apt to direct one's attention to a movie like Inception (2010) than Looper.

Chris Knipp
10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
No, there are three elements and you're focusing on only one. Here are some critical assessments:

Kimbrerly Jones, Austin Chronicle:
It boasts the kicky mental gymnastics that come with time-travel terrain, the relentless rapid heart rate of a crackerjack thriller, and the bursts of extreme violence, buttressed with black humor, of a modern actioner.

Rick Groem, Toronto Globe and Mail:
Looper ups the ante like a poker player on speed. What a potpourri of genres we have here – noir again, but sci-fi too, and action and horror and psycho-drama with existential trimmings, the latter designed to invite the thinking viewer into the fray.

Rolling Stone, Peter Travers: Lacing tremendously exciting action with touching gravity, Looper hits you like a shot in the heart.

Everyone talks about the mind game. If you pass over that I'm afraid you're missing something.

tabuno
10-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Personally, the real underlying theme of this movie is emotional not mental, it is what provides the substantive meaning and purpose of the movie that is at the foundation of the mentalist style of the movie. 1408 and its original theatrical ending had the same riveting impact of personal sacrifice in the face of love. The Bourne Identity trilogy and to a lesser extent Inception ares a good examples of the balanced elements of a mind game and emotive connective tissue of the movie, making it enduring as opposed to the mindless action thrillers, with perhaps the exception of The Sixth Sense, Se7en, or The Usual Suspects.

While I enjoyed the mental twists in this movie, it enhanced it but was not the primary compelling nature of the movie. Thus if Chris is focused on the mind game absent the emotive component, it would be understandable why this movie didn't rise to the top of his lists of great films.

Chris Knipp
10-06-2012, 06:39 PM
tabuno, I really did not mean to imply that. I am intending to be "focused on the mind game absent the emotiional". I tried to show with my quotes from other reviews simply that there are various important elements, and the emotional element is indicated in the Peter Travers quote, "like a shot to the heart." I'm glad you like LOOPER so much. I think it may sort out as one of the best American films of the year, for sure. There is a lot going on there. It has many elements and is a very original and well-made movie.

cinemabon
10-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Just saw "Looper" and thought I would add my thoughts. I found the film engaging and mesmerizing at times, presenting the future far more realistically than other "visions" leaving out flying cars and gleaming cities of super-high towers (except Shanghai, most of which was cut from the American release). The future can be summed up best this way - the news on the street is that most of those with money work for the mob performing hits on those who must disappear in the future. Killing amounts to a brief gunshot and then disposal with payment attached in the form of bullion. But this cozy relationship is coming to an end due to the Rainmaker. Johnson leaves clues throughout the film about who the Rainmaker must be until we finally discover his identity via his mother. Then it becomes obvious and the choice of action then becomes one of those time paradox problems that both the viewer and filmmaker must work out to their satisfaction.

I found the level of acting powerful, special effects kept to a minimum and storyline had great flow and continuity to it in regards to the cuts between Willis and Gordon-Levitt. The ending is one of those supreme twists that are often tried and only rarely succeed to leave the audiences guessing while emparting a sense of completion. I find this film more like M. Night Shyamalan's film "The Sixth Sense" in that we are led to believe one thing about what will happen and are surprised by the conclusion in a way that is refreshingly different.

I feel I have to agree with the majority of those reviewing this film who placed it as one of the highest rated films this year. I'm glad I passed on all of the super-hero movies and chose this film to see going into award season as it surly deserves recognition... and I'm not alone in that judgment.

Chris Knipp
10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I have to see this again. Now that I'm back in California with fewer films to see maybe I can do that; in fact it's showing at the theater nearest me. Thanks for the note that most of the Shanghai images are cut from the US version, which I didn't know.

cinemabon
10-17-2012, 01:22 AM
From what I discovered, Chris, the Chinese government showed great interest in taking over distribution rights in China. The entire portion of the film with Willis as the older man living in Shanghai had a second story line that lasted for several minutes and showed a very modern Shanghai as being the mid to late 21st Century equivalent to contemporary New York City. The Chinese felt this reflected well on their future plans for the metropolis.

Chris Knipp
10-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Leaving in a cut out part for Chinese distrbution reflects a trend toward appealing the big Chinese movie market. The Shanghai scenes were a result also of seeking Chinese funding in the making of the picture. Some of the outtakes will no doubt be on the DVD, including Paris scenes (see below).
The Chinese release of the film reintegrates a substantial number of scenes set in Shanghai that were edited out due to pacing reasons. The move was requested by Chinese production company DMG Entertainment in order to further appeal to Chinese audiences.[18] The Chinese version contains additional scenes with Old Joe and his wife, elaborating on Old Joe's motivation to pursue the Rainmaker. The Shanghai that is pictured include several CGI additions to the Pudong skyline and China is opined to be a comparatively pleasant country in the future in both the Chinese and US versions. The actress playing Old Joe's wife, Xu Qing, is well known in China (ex. The Founding of a Republic).--Wikipedia, "Looper."

Johnson’s original script apparently had quite a few scenes set in Paris, but the location was changed to Shanghai in order to entice Chinese entity DMG, who ended up providing some financing for the film. Now Shanghai-set scenes left on the cutting room floor are being reinserted into Looper for its release in China. -- article, "More Shanghai-Centric Versionof Riann Johnson's Looper to Be Released in China" (http://collider.com/looper-alternate-version-china/174574/)

tabuno
10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
This type of multi-versioned movie with different scenes in and out, make for an intriguing question as to what MOVIE or what IS THE movie that is to be consider, judged, evaluated? We've had the theatrical release, television edited release, a director's cut release, releases with multiple endings, outtakes, extended version...what what is a MOVIE so to speak upon which one can reference? Will we just end up with a mish mash of varied movies with a basic same structure and theme, or the choice your own ending scenarios or will we just all end up in a Matrix virtual reality experiencing our own fantasies brought to life?

Chris Knipp
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Maybe that is a trend, and with video/DVD "bonus" materials there are more alternatives and variations available to us, indeed. However in the case of LOOPER I think the Shanghai part that has been in, out, and back in amounts to just a few minutes in Old Joe's flashback.

I re-watched LOOPER yesterday and got a lot more out of it.

cinemabon
10-19-2012, 03:05 AM
I believe "Looper" is a special case where the Chinese, who evidently put up some cash, wanted distribution rights and favorable footage re-inserted. This is no different than "European" versions of films with nudity that come to America and must be cut in order to achieve a favorable rating theater owners want. How many times have we seen that over the past four or five decades?

As to Tab's point about "director's cut," I would call that a state of remorse on the part of some directors who want the cut studios denied on initial release due to time constraints (they moan, loudly, when films run two hours plus). James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Brian DePalma and others to name a few have offered longer cuts with discarded footage as both advertizing gimicks to sell more DVD's and to satisfy fans who want their movies (and their "pleasure") to last longer... don't we all.

Chris Knipp
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Right on both counts, though Shanghai is a bit different from tits. Or is it? I haven't been there.

cinemabon
10-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I'd hazard a guess the difference is smaller and flatter... in China, that is.