PDA

View Full Version : Nora Ephron 1941-2012

cinemabon
06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Ephron is probably more prolific and best remembered as a writer of screenplays than as a film director. She wrote twice as many scripts that became films versus her career directing. However, the films she did direct made a huge impact on the industry as a whole and should be mentioned on this site, the most memorable were:

1993 - Sleepless in Seattle
1996 - Michael
1998 - You've got Mail
2009 - Julie and Julia

Her list of writing credits is long and starts in television before she wrote "Silkwood" one of Meryl Streep's best films during this period. She went on to pen many others but made her impact on cinema as a great voice for strong female characters and for female directors in general. She could be energetic and yet understanding, easy to be with on the set, and yet commanding. Nominated three times for an Academy Award in writing, Ephron never won any major writing awards, although her screenplays were well liked. Many people believed she was too light hearted in her renditions of women. But I must confess, I'm a sucker for "You've got mail" every time it's broadcast. The original story, "The little shop around the corner" has been done nearly a dozen times, but each rendition is wonderful in my book. Ephron's work holds its own even after the phrase "You've got mail" has become lost in time, the emotional impact of the film is still there.

A good friend of mine who used to work on the Hollywood Reporter once told me that all he wanted was to be preserved in celluloid for all time. "Who wouldn't want that kind of immortality?" he said. Nora Ephron has achieved that notoriety and more. She speaks for the many of us who enjoy watching a good romatic comedy packed with emotion. She could pull that off, and did it well.