PDA

View Full Version : TREE OF LIFE (Terrence Malick 2011)

Chris Knipp
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
This was in my Paris Movie Report but I want to remind viewers of Filmleaf of it because this most exciting American movie of the year so far is not to be missed -- on a big screen. I saw it twice in Paris and still am far from penetrating its manifold mysteries. A friend who lives in a small town in Minnesota drove 75 miles to Minneapolis to see it, and wants to see it again. Hew wrote me that he found it "the best representation of childhood (boyhood, really) that I have ever seen. The boys at play, their games, their cruelties, their longings were...wonderful...."

Howard Schumann has written an review of TREE OF LIFE that's published on Cinescene (http://www.cinescene.com/howard/treeoflife.html). He calls it "a beautiful, multi-layered, and deeply spiritual film that asks the hard questions..."

Terrence Malick: The Tree of Life (2011)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8536/bradpittthetreeoflifete.jpg
BRAD PITT, LARAMIE EPPLER IN THE TREE OF LIFE

An extraordinary "Space Odyssey" of family dysfunction

The way Terrence Mallick’s ambitious, long-planned, long-awaited The Tree of Life sweeps from cosmography to tough father-son relations, it seems like the 2001: A Space Odyssey of family dysfunction. This is what, for me, lingers in the mind. True, the gorgeous images of space, waterfalls, volcanoes, even a prehistoric animal, set up a vast perspective for the film. They link a universe exploding into being with a woman’s pregnant belly, and the sweeping classical music sets the mood for serious speculation about man’s being in the world. This is framed by the epigraph from the Book of Job, “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth?”

The Tree of Life is impressive, but hard to put together, hard to get your head around (though perhaps less so for dyed-in-the-wool Malick-o-philes). All that cosmography and all the whispered speculation flows, more or less, into the bulk of the film, which consists of flashbacks to an initially idyllic-seeming 1950 Texas heartland suburbia where a family lives. There is much material for reflection here and Malik exegetes will doubtless spend volumes speculating about or explaining how it all fits together. Three sons are born into purity and innocence. Somewhat schematically, they, or the oldest, Jack, who gets most of the attention, loses that innocence. The sequences skip around, focusing on the death of one son at the age of 19. Sean Penn, as an architect prowling beautiful, icy skyscrapers, is Jack much later remembering the past and longing to return to find that lost brother; their mother (Jessica Chastain) wanted to die and join him as soon as he died. In the many flashback scenes that make up the bulk of (the human, non-cosmological, part of) the film, the boys never quite reach puberty, and it is a perpetual summer. The long passage in which they face emotionally confusing treatment by their stern, yet affectionate father, played by a flat-faced, Midwestern Brad Pitt (who lacks the boys’ southern accent) is the painful emotional heart of this epic, unmoored film.

There are many episodes, but there is no discernible plotline. Rather the scenes may be meant to represent milestones in the developing dysfunction, or moral issues. The father torments the boys with restrictions and chews them out, but also frequently hugs and kisses them and at one point says they are all he has, that otherwise his life has been a waste. This despite the fact that in the latter sequence of the son’s death he seems to occupy a grander house, and he is obviously envious, angry, ambitious, judgmental and covetous towards others. The boys at times seem to confuse their father with God. Whispered questions about who and why addressed to the air or the cosmos may refer to O'Brien (Pitt) or Jehovah. This father also plays Bach on the organ like an angel, but says he has wasted the chance of becoming a great musician. He’s a complex and enigmatic, but on the surface curiously uninteresting individual (partly the fault of Pitt). In her review from Cannes, I now find that Manohla Dargis of the NY Times also refers (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/movies/terrence-malick-asks-big-questions-in-the-tree-of-life.html) to Kubrick's 2001, noting that both films refer to concepts of God, though God is everywhere in Tree and has been replaced by science in A Space Odyssey. She was impressed by the blunt way Malick approaches epistemological questions in his new movie (without the mediation of a strong narrative element), but concludes in favor of the "beautiful if hermetic vision" and the "ambition" but not the "philosophy." Not so clear what that philosophy is or what Dargis thinks it is, but the mystery is an attraction even if it's partly also a flaw. The beauty of the film is the way it's more the embodiment of a spiritual quest than a story. And yet it depicts the emotion of family conflict with as much painful intensity as you'll ever find on screen.

Justin Chang in Variety (also from Cannes) provides (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117945242?refcatid=31) much more information in an almost wildly enthusiastic review. Writing in the trade journal of the industry he perforce points out both the divided camps among the Cannes public and the fact that Tree may have limited commercial potential. "Pure-grade art cinema destined primarily for the delectation of Malick partisans and adventurous arthouse-goers," he concludes, but he adds that "with its cast names and see-it-to-believe-it stature, this inescapably divisive picture could captivate the zeitgeist for a spell."

Mike d'Angelo of Onion AV Club (and this is what I like about d'Angelo's Cannes bulletins) chronicles his experience of watching Tree. It's not unusual for d'Angelo to get his hopes high only to have them dashed. He thought at first it was something that would reshape our sense of cinema, a Birth of a Nation or Citizen Kane or (here it is again) 2001: A Space Odyssey. But then he was disappointed that the grand conception was lost and wound up thinking once the cosmic speculations, soaring music, and Koyaanisqatsi-on-steroids (with tableaux by Jerry Uelsmann) images were done it settled down into "a solid but largely unexceptional memoir not unlike, say, This Boy’s Life."I think his explanation (http://www.avclub.com/articles/cannes-11-day-six-the-tree-of-life-and-other-thing,56182/) of why this happened makes sense: "Maybe that first hour raised my expectations so high that no second hour-plus could possibly fulfill them, but my gut feeling is that Malick got distracted from his overall conception by a desire to revisit specific incidents from his childhood, by the need to depict his father rather than simply a father." It turns out Tree was shot in or represents Malick's hometown of Waco, Texas. D'Angelo may have contemplated an A+, but wound up giving Tree a B, commenting it might go up to a B+ in another viewing. It's pretty obvious to me that for all its oddities and faults, Tree of Life is an A+, even if it's far from being a 2001.

The film is wonderful, and like all Malick’s work, extraordinary. It is also maddening and unsatisfying, and for some, doubtless, may be laughable work, and above all seems to me more like an art piece, the kind of film footage you see in a museum installation, rather than in a movie theater.

Seen in Paris, direct from Cannes, May 17, 2011, the day of the film's theatrical release.

On Sunday, May 22, 2011, Tree of Life won the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

oscar jubis
07-31-2011, 10:29 PM
I could not agree with you more that everyone reading this must make it a priority to watch this in a theater before it goes away. The run is coming to a close. Better hurry!
Glad you watched it 2x, CK. I would not want to review it after a single viewing.

Chris Knipp
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
A friend of mine saw it in Italy, dubbed, and I urged her not to delay seeing it again here in a theater with the English soundtrack. There's still time.

I wonder what good films will be coming the rest of the year, but for me Tree of Life is the most interesting American film so far.

In your Best Movies of 2010 you listed:

Not Seen Yet: Inside Job, 127 Hours, Enter the Void, Rabbit Hole,Chekhov's The Duel, Eyes Wide Open.

Have you seen any of these now?

oscar jubis
08-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Oops I missed this post. No, I have not seen any of those movies. No way I'm gonna pass on Inside Job Chris. Will make it a priority.

Johann
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I'll review it on one viewing.

There were times while watching this Masterpiece that I felt Malick was saving cinema itself.
Marvelous imagery, the likes of which we haven't seen since Kubrick.

I saw it on the big screen a couple days ago at the Bytowne Cinema, and I know exactly why it won the Palme d'or.
Brad Pitt deserves an Oscar nomination. This was the best performance I've seen him do.
So awesome to see him ACT, like I know he can.

I must say though that the final half hour had me saying to Malick in my mind: SUM UP.
It dragged on a little too much for me, because his point was driven home for me after the first 45 minutes.
It's lyrical poetry, with Divinity acknowledged with every frame.
That makes it a very Special Film.

Chris Knipp
09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Glad you got to see it and liked it. It is an exciting film, isn't it? Awesome stuff. The one American movie I am really enthusiastic about so far this year. Indeed great to see Brad Pitt acting very well. I also agree the last part is weak and so does Anthony Lane in his New Yorker review (see below). Sean Penn's part is another weakness; there have been plenty of jokes about how few lines he gets. It looks like most of his role ended up on the editing room floor.

Lane's review, which has many reservations but acknowledges the genius and the glory, ends like this:
So does the film burst the bounds of that emotion? Is it just too much? It certainly doesn’t know how to end; after two hours, I could have done without Sean Penn, dressed in Armani, kneeling on a beach, while the other characters mooch around like unwanted extras from Zabriskie Point. Afflatus has an unhappy habit, as Malick has proved before, of subsiding into a monotone. Tucked away inside the grandeur, though, and enlivened by jump cuts, is a sharp, not unharrowing story of a father and son, and, amid one’s exasperation, there is no mistaking Malick’s unfailing ability to grab at glories on the fly. When news of R.L.’s death arrives, the world reels and capsizes, yet even then we see the shadows of children—capering upside down, on the sunlit asphalt, like ghosts of what should have been. ♦

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2011/05/30/110530crci_cinema_lane#ixzz1XNxEo4Af

Johann
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
It is a movie to get real excited about, a real rarity these days.

Some of those shots...Holy Mackinaw Grandma.
The volcanos and waterfalls and celestial outer space shots...immortal imagery there. Really triumphant and searing.
Malick's camera never stops moving for the family scenes. I think he wanted the audience to feel a definite distinction between "god's work" and human beings at work/play.
You can tell he waited a long time to get some shots, like John Ford used to wait for the sun to be right.
I loved it completely, despite the ending being too drawn out.
Those scenes on the beach with Sean Penn and all those peeps wandering around were bewildering, and needless.
Yes, Sean Penn's scenes were few. I'm not even sure his scenes are even necessary. The story with the boy(s) and the Pitt family was sufficient to me. The "modern" metropolis stuff was great, I get why Malick has it in there, but if the viewer is intelligent enough, he'll follow.
He'll get the "big picture". And it is possible to "get" this one in one viewing.
It's not as densely mysterious as David Lynch.

That boy is a smart one.
I felt a kinship with him because he does/says something in this movie that I did in my youth too. (I'm not telling you what it was).
Malick understands the human mind.
Lots of emotion in this one. Genuine emotion too.
That's what I want from a film director.
Execution. On as many fronts as is possible.
This is a truly Great movie. It should've been made. And by someone as sensitive and visually on-the-money as Terrence Malick.
A pantheon filmmaker.
Those flickering, dancing blue flames and quote from the Book of Job clued me in that I was about to see something Ambitious.

Best Film of 2011.
I don't think anything can top it right now. We still got a few months left in this year but this is an epic piece.
One that should wag tongues, and not just film buffs tongues...

Chris Knipp
09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
He wants to have Sean Penn because it's about looking back on the past, on his youth.

Indeed Malick is a very different mind and personality from David Lynch. But this time Malick delivers a "wow" factor that even Lynch can't match. I think this is my favorite of Malick's later films. It has a combination of visual grandeur and personal emotion his other films can't quite match.

You're teasing us about your link with the boy.

Yes, this is an "epic piece." I don't think there will be another American film on this scale this year. Von Trier's Melancholia, I believe, has a similar grandeur as a film, but in a darker mode. It's also a film by its director that I particularly like. Wait and see.

Chris Knipp
09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
He wants to have Sean Penn because it's about looking back on the past, on his youth.

Indeed Malick is a very different mind and personality from David Lynch. But this time Malick delivers a "wow" factor that even Lynch can't match. I think this is my favorite of Malick's later films. It has a combination of visual grandeur and personal emotion his other films can't quite match.

You're teasing us about your link with the boy.

Yes, this is an "epic piece." I don't think there will be another American film on this scale this year. Von Trier's Melancholia, I believe, has a similar grandeur as a film, but in a darker mode. It's also a film by its director that I particularly like. Wait and see.

Johann
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Double post there Chris.

The boy talks back to Dad Brad in exactly the same way I did once to my old man.
Only my dad had a different reaction...:)

I've been thinking about this film a lot since I saw it.
It lingers in the mind, a creeper.

Johann
11-25-2011, 10:41 AM
The imdb reviews are amazing for this movie.

So many people who didn't get it, so many who write it off as terrible, pretentious, no plot, etc etc etc.
Retards with no sensory ability, to put it bluntly.
I'll say it again: come to a film on it's own terms. Not yours.
You didn't make the movie. You were never on set. You had no input on the creative process.
It's something people forget ALL THE TIME.
I don't know what people were expecting when they bought their ticket.
I went in not knowing jack shit about it, except that Terrence Malick is a Pantheon filmmaker, a Master.

Yes, it meandered towards the end, but Holy Jackboots is the CINEMA of it searing.
If you can't see it or feel it I wonder if you're switched on.
I wonder if you have any powers of deduction.
This is a Special Film, one that comes down the pike once in a Millennia.
I'm not over-praising this either.
I mean it.
This is a Singular Achievement. Lightning in a Bottle, if you want my honest opinion.

oscar jubis
11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Great post Johann.
I can't wait to watch it again during winter break. I assume it's out on DVD by now.

Chris Knipp
11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Bravo. I indeed approach any film with tremendous respect for the complexity and demands of the enterprise. When I see something as grand as TREE OF LIFE I am in awe. I feel similarly about MELANCHOLIA, though Oscar doesn't follow me on that. Aspects of both films are ludicrous viewed from a certain angle. That's the price of huge ambition.

Johann
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
E.E. Merhige, a brilliant filmmaker and facebook friend, wrote a poem that I'll post later that sums up how I felt about Tree of Life.
This is total paraphrase, I know I've got it wrong, as I don't have it with me, but later I'll post it (I have it at home). It's short and powerful.
The gist is:

How God wants us, and keeps us.
Respond by deafening the world with your Song.

oscar jubis
11-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I am a huge fan of E. Elias Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire and his avant-garde short Din of Celestial Birds http://vimeo.com/18985916.

Wish he managed to be more prolific. Good news: Merhige has a new film in pre-production, according to IMdb.

Johann
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I think it's in post-production now. He's put up photos of the shoot but nothing showing content though- it's him on a Norton motorcycle, outdoor shots, etc.
He's been pretty Mum about what he's doing.
But you and I both know it will be GREAT.

When I sent him a friend request I said ARS POETICA, E..
He replied immediately and we had some nice brief chats.
I said his films reminded me a bit of Brakhage, and he said he loves Brakhage.
His photo albums are ART. He's a passionate man, full of life.

Johann
11-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I just posted on his wall, inquiring about pre or post-production. I'll let you know what he says.
He may have had health problems recently- I'm not sure. His friends post lots of "hope you are well" type messages.
It's none of my business (or anyone else's) but we definitely hope his health is maintained.
A man with such talent needs to be at his OPTIMUM!

oscar jubis
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, please share any news about his forthcoming work, etc.

Johann
11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Oscar: E. Elias has replied to my inquiry. He thanked me and said he'll let me know soon.
Exciting....

:)

oscar jubis
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Indeed. Thanks Johann.

Johann
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Here's the poem by E. Elias Merhige that sums up my feelings about Malick's Tree of Life:

How God wants us
Keeps us
Fills us
with erotic longing
and eats us

Let the volcano Rise
through the Earth
and darken the Sun
with it's Ecstasy
and Deafen the World with it's Song

tabuno
01-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Chris seems to have his doubts about Brad Pitt in this movie. As with my great admiration of his acting ability such as he did in my opinion in Meet Joe Black (1998) playing one of the most difficult roles of for any actor - death, Mr. Pitt again along with the credit of fine direction, presented an understated and perhaps more authentic father character then found in most movies nowadays. Too often the Father Knows Best and the overlay dramatic, easily acted performances seems to be lauded for their intense emotive power. Yet for this movie, it is the unders statement, the expressions and the quiet but intense moments that count, like when Pitt's character reacts to his son's death on the airstrip.

tabuno
01-04-2012, 01:10 AM
The first half of the movie with its fragmentary, seemingly chaotic slices of life scenes have close resonance with those who have suffered the death of a close loved on. Fleeting and seemingly random thoughts and feelings arise from unknown wells of memory and Mallick's editing in this portion of the movie well captures the emotional distraught and confusion the swirls around grief. As a clinical social worker who counsels humans with grief issues, this part of the movie is a revealing visual and auditory experience that comes close to the haunting echos of the pain and suffering of people coping with great loss.

Chris Knipp
01-04-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't have doubts about Pitt. I think he is fine. He has turned in two terrific performances this year, in this and MONEYBALL. His cred as an actor is at an all-time high, but I was impressed by him from the first time I saw him, in his small role in THELMA AND LOUISE.

tabuno
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't have doubts about Pitt. I think he is fine. He has turned in two terrific performances this year, in this and MONEYBALL. His cred as an actor is at an all-time high, but I was impressed by him from the first time I saw him, in his small role in THELMA AND LOUISE.

Never mind.

oscar jubis
01-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm glad I watched The Tree of Life in a theater and more recently on DVD (twice). I still think this is an absolute must-see. And I agree with Tab1's Immersion post. And yet I don't think this is a "masterpiece" or the clear "best film of the year" that polls seem to indicate. I think the film would be better without the mother's voice-over and some of the scenes with Sean Penn. I would have preferred a less specific, less deterministic, less soothing ending. But that is a personal preference. Ultimately I am glad that ambitious films like this one (and Godard's Film Socialisme and Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void) are being made and distributed, even though I don't think they are as perfect or masterful as their strongest supporters believe.