PDA

View Full Version : HANNA (Joe Wright 2011)

Chris Knipp
04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Joe Wright: HANNA (2011)
Review by Chris Knipp

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8906/hanna2011hindidubbedmob.jpg
SAOIRSE RONAN IN HANNA

Tough little girl on the run

Here we have another hybrid that goes nowhere: the exciting Bourne meets the fun but twisted Kick-Ass. Like Nicolas Cage with Chloë Grace Moretz only in a remote, chilly locale (is that a reindeer she kills with bow and arrow in the opening sequence?), Eric Bana trains Saoirse Ronan to be a teen girl killing machine and escape artist. Then when she's fully trained he tells her to flip the switch on a box when she's ready ("no hurry") and it will alert a certain Marissa (Cate Blanchett) at Langley (where else?), another CIA ice queen, who will give her jobs to do worthy of her remarkable skills. But the trouble is that Marissa, it appears, only wants to kill the girl, whose name is Hanna, and we spend the rest of the movie watching Marissa chase around after Hanna till the final confrontation and -- what? Could anything be more pointless than this movie? A shame, because Saorise Ronan, who played the evil child in the same director's much admired Ian McEwan adaptation Atonement, and was deemed worthy of starring in the disastrous but elaborate Lovely Bones, has a very distinctive presence. You really want to see her get to kick ass. Unfortunately she never gets any worthy ass to kick. And the fights are the bad kind where you never get to see properly what's going on, and all you hear is a lot of loud banging noises to make you think you are witnessing hand-to-hand combat.

Joe Wright? He seems to have been going very gently downhill. From his respectable Pride and Prejudice he went to the attention-getting but dubious Atonement, thence to the best forgotten The Soloist. And now this. Going from his English origins to American and now International, he'd better get back to English quick before he loses his brand identity.

The opening sequences have a hirsute Erik (Bana) engaging in challenging karate duels with his protégé, teaching her to recite pointless strings of facts and testing her knowledge of European languages. Later, on her own, she winds up in Morocco and darn if she doesn't reveal an excellent command of Moroccan dialect. Take that, Jason Bourne. Only the trouble is, unlike Bourne, Hanna has no mystery to solve, and her way of staying out of Marissa's hands seems distinctly odd. It mostly consists of hanging around an English tourist family and stowing away in their van.

Here is where Wright and his writers Seth Lockhead and David Farr (the latter wrote some episodes of the British series "MI5") make some attempts at humor and color, and otherwise completely lose their way. The mother (a pointlessly appealing Olivia Williams) says some off-the-wall things about religion, and the little girl (Jessica Barden), who touchingly bonds with Hanna, or tries to, has brief monlogues that sound like they might be quite droll if one could make out quite what she's saying. The father, Sebastian (Jason Flemyng, who by an odd coincidence was in Kick-Ass), has less to do, but we do feel personalites here, which is more than can be said for the wooden Bana, the fridgid Blanchett, and the unformed, mainly just athletic and explosively violent Hanna. Violent, we should add, but not as entertainingly so as the Kick-Ass hit-girl. Oh, there are a few good escapes, chases, and fisticuffs, but the movie lacks a coherent structure to pull them together.

Locations are shot in an exaggeratedly colorful manner. Berlin, for instance, seems to be all panhandlers and graffiti. In the Moroccan sequence there' a hotelier (Mohamed Majd) who has an appealing moment or two, though this is mainly that chance for Hanna to show off her fluency in his dialect. This is a very noisy movie, with a randomly percussive soundtrack by The Chemical Brothers, and here, when the Moroccan leaves Hanna in her room, all hell breaks loose. It seems though she can down a reindeer with a single arrow and carry home the meat, electricity is something her remote upbringing has little prepared her for. The noisy flickering of a fluorescent light combined with an electric tea kettle jiggling with boiling water and a wall-mounted TV blasting Moroccan pop music nearly drive her out of her mind. And, thanks to The Chemical Brothers, we're driven mad too.

What was the point of that scene? It seems part of a confused, mostly abandoned effort to develop the character of Hanna as a strange critter who doesn't know who she is or where her real duties and talents lie. It's the Bourne thing, the past and the lack of a past, the thing that the Bourne films do so well and the knockoffs can't seem to get a hold on.

Blanchett, rigid in her ice-queen schtick, is a cartoon character, but like most of the movie she is not funny. She is lean, shapely, and perfectly groomed, with a smooth, puffy hairdo almost as scary as Javier Bardem's Dutch boy in No Country for Old Men. If she could only sweat, like the corporate bitch so wonderfully played by Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton. But Joe Wright is no Tony Gilroy: he can't convey power plays and rivalries. He's out of his depth here. And all Blanchett really gets to do is snap at people. With such characters as Marissa and the effeminate and of course sadistic German (Tom Hollander) whom she enlists to "get" Hanna and do things the CIA can't do (a sort of western European Extraordinary Rendition, perhaps), one's mind turns to Ian Fleming and the rueful thought occurs that all these bad, exotic chase films are some kind of degenerate mutation of the Bond stories. But the Bond stories have Bond. They also have a goal. And Hanna has no goal other than, apparently, to drive us mad with impatience.

oscar jubis
04-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Hanna (2011)

Children of Men proved that a sci-fi chase film could be nourishing to a wide audience. Alfonso Cuarón’s film, about the last pregnant woman on Earth’s escape from captivity in 2027 England, was spectacular and thrilling enough for 15 year old boys but it had interesting characters and it had heart. Hanna, the current release directed by Joe Wright, concerns the perilous journey to civilization of a girl "freak" (Saoirse Ronan) raised in the forest and trained to defeat the C.I.A. witch (Cate Blanchett) who wants to kill her. It is a film produced with a teenage audience in mind. Hanna is simple in a fairy-tale kind of way. It left me wishing I had seen something more substantial, something to take home with me.

There is no denying that Hanna is intriguing and that it exudes visual chutzpah. You don’t want to look away. The forest scenes in particular have a primal, sometimes mythic appeal. Of course, the standard kinetic kicks are supplied regularly, with the editing often subservient to The Chemical Brothers’ polyrhythmic score or to shots from a handgun.

Hanna’s biggest asset is 16 year-old actress Saoirse Ronan, who is both delicate and fierce, and elicits our deep sympathy. My favorite scenes involve interactions between the wild-child heroine and members of a British family on holiday, especially the teenage daughter. The friendship that develops between the two girls is dramatized with a sensitivity and subtlety that is missing from the rest of the film.

Hanna adopts a paranoid, dystopian perspective. Its blunt cynicism towards the C.I.A. (and, by implication, government) is perhaps validated by that institution’s soiled history, especially during the Cold War. However, the film seems to relish indulging in unnecessary violence and its characterizations are Manichean. A scene in which the Blanchett character shoots Hanna’s grandmother in the back of the head is particularly cruel and gratuitous. It’s not the only one. At times, the film seems to be targeting the testosterone demographic by testing the limits of PG-13 violence. Hollywood movies, Salt is a recent example, do this all the time. It’s good for business. But pandering to a narrow segment of the audience, albeit lucrative, is not conducive to good cinema. Certainly not this time.

Chris Knipp
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I never liked Children of Men as much as many did, but it is a considerably richer "chase" film (if that's even what it is) than Hanna,, as are the 28 Days and 28 Weeks films.I don't know about primal, or dystopian, but the film definitely has its moments of almost proto-cultish originality. "the standard kinetic kicks are supplied regularly, with the editing often subservient to The Chemical Brothers’ polyrhythmic score or to shots from a handgun," and in other words the movie is made for people with three-minute attention-spans, though with an original musical background--which is something, but comes to seem mere noise just the same. Actually you can begin to look away (I agree with you on a lot but disagree on that) when you realize that there is a disconnect between the CIA and the meandering scenes with the English family. Certainly those sequences have a "sensitivity and subtlety missing from the rest of the film". They show it is trying for originality, but it isn't trying consistently; as you imply, perhaps one can say commercial interests took over. But I don't see signs that the writing was that good to begin with.

Indeed shooting Hanna's grandmother is cruel and gratuitous -- and bad writing, because events that do not have a point do not advance the action in a meaningful way.

Since you mention Salt, I might say I almost pointed to that as a more successful example of this kind of thing. Saorise Ronan is interesting and appealing (if rather blank) but she is not the perfect kick-ass girl like Uma or Angelina or Chloë Moretz.

I think the debt to Bourne is obvious, and goes deep through action movies today, is obvious here with the language and killer training and the confusion about identity. The Bourne series may be sheer entertainment, but it's smart and it does it right. So I find it becomes the standard I keep holding up and finding the knockoffs or derivatives inevitably wanting.

Have you seen Kick-Ass? I found it shocking and alarming -- and hip and fun. The big trouble here is that the attempts at magic in the outset do not offset the lack of a sense of humor, or any subtlety of characterization except for the moments I and you alluded to (and besides the English family I mentioned the Moroccan hotel guy).

oscar jubis
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry it took me so long to answer (because of the end of the academic year mad rush to comply with a number of deadlines and assignments including preparing the syllabus for the film history (1895-1940) course I am teaching in the Fall). By the way, if anyone is interested, I can post the list of films to be screened and the readings assigned for each week...

Anyway we are in basic agreement about Hanna and I like a lot of the points you make. Perhaps we differ regarding the protagonist. She is skilled and a "humanoid freak", which is perhaps a central fact of the narrative. That the government, or at least the CIA, has decided to abort a project consisting of genetically engineering a "better human", or a "super-soldier" to be more exact, and that these creatures must be destroyed because they're "freaks". I like the fact that Hanna is vulnerable, not "kick ass", and I like Saoirse Ronan's performance. If you don't, that would be where our opinions differ. Just a little.