PDA

View Full Version : THE FILTH and THE FURY: a sex pistols film

Johann
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I love Julien Temple's documentary style.
He constructs a compelling story with lots of vintage bits of film and commentary from key players who were there.

The Filth and the Fury has the surviving members of the Sex-Pistols speak at length (with darkened faces) for most of the doc, with John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) speaking the most. Sid Vicious (real name John Beverly) is represented well with excellent film clips.
Manager Malcolm McLaren also has soundbites.

We are told about the socio/political climate in England at the time of the Pistols' inception, what with the working class not knowing who or what they are anymore. The Ruling Class made a LOT of promises to the people after the war, and they DID NOT follow through.
As Rotten says: You were just told to accept your lot and get on with it. You were never going to amount to anything.
The Sex Pistols should have happened and they did.

The band was notorious from the get-go.
Sneering, disposessed and a hardcore punk attitude.
We're not you.
AND WE LIKE IT THAT WAY.

As Rotten also says: We managed to piss off the people we fucking HATE.
That's an accomplishment.
It's mentioned in the film that when you feel totally powerless, you'll take any power you can get, no matter how small.
The power structure in England at the time produced a lot of angry, angst-ridden kids who had HAD ENOUGH of the "Old Order" and they did what they could do: start bands that could only play 3 chords and still sound exciting and new.

The Sex Pistols may seem tame today, but back in the mid-70's?
Holy Shitballs were they an incredible shock to the system.
This movie makes me wish I was alive when the Pistols first appeared.
To be around that kind of controlled fury (even for one night) would be an amazing Rush.
Sure, there was Alice Cooper and the Stooges prior to the Pistols day, but they had something really really unique with their brand of punk.
I love that band.
If you like your music history then by all means Check. It. Out.

oscar jubis
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Great piece, Johann, well said, man.The Sex Pistols gave expression to the deepest pain and joy of a disaffected generation. And this doc does justice to that spirit. The very different band Rotten formed subsequently, PiL, also produced very good, interesting music (at least some of the time).