PDA

View Full Version : THE AMERICAN (Anton Corbijn 2010)

Chris Knipp
09-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Anton Corbijn: THE AMERICAN (2010)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/909/nP5Kyg.jpg
GEORGE CLOONEY IN THE AMERICAN

Trust no one: Clooney on the run

The American is a beautiful and elegant movie that blends elements from many other movies, a movie that is old-fashioned and European. That's why it's called The American. George Clooney, not the debonair superstar but submerged into the role, is the only American on view. In this skillful adaptation by Rowan Joffe of Martin Booth's novel A Very Private Gentleman, Clooney's character, Jack a k a Edward Clark, is a mysterious professional assassin with elements of Delon's Samourai in Melville's Sixties film, or Isaak De Bankoé's sphinx-like traveler in Jarmusch's Limits of Control. Mr. Butterfly, people call him, for a tattoo on the middle of his back.

Under orders from a grumpy boss called Pavel (Johan Leysen) whom he talks to only on pay phones, and hiding from the Swedes who have been trying to kill him, Mr. Butterfly picks up a blue Fiat near the Stazione Termini in Rome and winds up sojourning unobtrusively in a little town called Castel del Monte high up near Sulmona L'Aquila in the Abruzzo region (shot there right after the earthquake, though it is not mentioned). He's given an easy job: he doesn't even have to shoot the sniper rifle, only put it together to the specifications of a shape-shifting lady (Thekla Reuten) who meets with him in a wood by a river. Pavel has told him to make no friends -- he just had to kill one in Sweden -- but he chats with the local parish priest, Father Benedetto (Paolo Bonacelli) and has hot sex with Clara (Violante Placido), who he meets in a brothel but who falls for him and begins meeting him elsewhere for real dates.

There is a subtext here, because having settled in Italy with a villa on Lake Como and Italian girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis, the actor has embraced and been embraced by Italy and is a "divo" there now. Though he doesn't give elaborate displays of his linguistic prowess, he clearly understands Italian and throws out the occasional well-placed phrase, especially when going around with the beautiful and warm Clara.

But who is she? Will he have to kill her? Will he have to kill Pavel, or the lady buying the rifle? Or will one of them kill him? Every cup of coffee, every walk across a sun-soaked courtyard, exudes a danger that the nicely understated music sometimes underlines. But mostly things are quiet and we, like Mr. Butterfly, are waiting.

Hot sex, a love affair, assassins chasing an assassin fed up with the trade, constant tension in the quiet streets of a mountainous town: but people are complaining that this is a movie about nothing. That's the "trouble" with style: it most flourishes when there is least happening. As in The Limits of Control, though its trajectory is different, the protagonist seems to live a life of methodical ritual. He does sit-ups, push-ups, and chin-ups (old-fashioned: the Army is dropping them from the training program for its out-of-shape and injury-prone recruits). He even has an improvised punching bag in his zen-like little provincial hotel room. He spends a lot of time assembling a rifle to order to specifications from the mysterious lady, and when he and she discuss those specifications, its evident they are both consummate pros. It must take several different kinds of bullets and combine the functions of a machine gun and a precision rifle while fitting disassembled in the hidden compartment of an attache case. A "car doctor" called Fabio (Filippo Timi ), whom he realizes is the illegitimate son of Padre Benedetto, gives him spare parts.

Between taking orders for and assembling and delivering the rifle and making love and chatting with Padre Benedetto, the unobtrusive assassin has no time for car chases or shootouts, though there is one or two. But the violence is spaced out, as in a Seventies movie. If you come to The American looking for Bourne action, you will be sorely disappointed. But the slow pace delivers a level of unease, of Antonioni-esque existential dread, that the Bourne films could never attain.

This is the second film by Anton Corbijn whose assured debut was Control, a handsome biopic in art-photo black and white about the mysterious Ian Curtis, doomed lead singer of the post-punk Eighties band Joy Division. This time the former still photographer, whose fresh eye and subtle sense of composition make every frame a pleasure to look at, has shifted to color in this film shot by Control cinematographer Martin Ruhe. The Aquila province, where most of the action takes place, is an important player, its austere, dramatic landscapes framed in long wide-screen shots that are both dramatic and understated. When the climaxes come, they too may seem understated, and quietly tragic, in the manner of Melville's Le samouraï and Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player. No mysteries are solved. Rather the fatalistic trajectory of all lone mercenaries is fulfilled and a symphony of style is brought to an appropriate close. This is a grownup thriller whose uncompromising manner withholds the easy pleasures of the usual product but delivers in spades the aesthetic and intellectual gratification of the thoughtful and the well-made.

Opened in the US September 1, 2010.

Howard Schumann
09-21-2010, 12:45 AM
THE AMERICAN

Directed by Anton Corbijn, U.S., (2010, 103 minutes

The American starring George Clooney is advertised as a Euro-style thriller, most likely because it is so slow paced that it simply could not be offered to the American public as a thriller or action flick, you know the ones in which we tolerate the story line in order to get to the next explosion, car chase, or special effect. Here we don’t even have to worry about the story line because there simply isn’t any (or at least not much of one). The film is directed by Anton Corbijn whose previous work Control about the life of Ian Curtis, the lead singer of the band Joy Division was, for me, an extremely moving experience.

Based on the novel A Very Private Gentleman by Martin Booth, George Clooney is Jack (and later Ed), a professional assassin who goes about his work with the enthusiasm of a reanimated corpse. Jack is a mostly unsympathetic character - silent, secretive, and unsmiling whom we first meet in a snowy field in Sweden killing his presumed antagonists with no more emotion than in eating a Big Mac. We learn nothing about how he got to this point, where he is going, or what he thinks about either. The only thing we really do know about him is that he takes his orders from Pavel (Johan Leysen), a sleazy-looking man that you would not want to have over for dinner.

Jack is redirected to Italy by Pavel while he awaits his next assignment. Told to lose himself, Jack avails himself of a blue Fiat and travels to a village in the Abruzzo region, not far from Rome. Not trusting anyone, which seems to be de rigueur for a man in his profession, Jack moves to Castel del Monte where he avoids being shot at by some revengeful Swedes and takes up with Clara (Violante Placido), a local prostitute of remarkable grace and beauty, who calls him Mr. Butterfly because of the tattoo on his back. He also meets Father Benedetto (Paolo Bonacelli), a cliché-spouting priest who doesn’t believe Jack’s story that he is a landscape photographer and urges him to confess, but our reticent protagonist is not quite ready.

In another strange touch, Mathilde (Thekla Reuten) comes to Jack asking him to build a high powered rifle for her to use (probably not in duck hunting). Becoming more and more fearful of everything and everyone, Jack simply wants to finish this last job and retire to some island with Clara whom he has developed a nice relationship (that doesn’t include smiling or talking) but the fates and the movie’s script’s demands rule otherwise. While The American has some of the feeling of the great European classics of the 70s such as Melville’s Le Samourai, its portrayal of a lonely, depressed assassin who is good with mechanics and prostitutes suddenly trying to find his humanity is singularly unconvincing.

I’m all for people developing a conscience but in the case of a hit man who early in the film murders a girl he slept with, it is a bit much. Though The American is thoughtful and well crafted and the acting is outstanding, it offers little to those who are looking for an escape from having one’s senses assaulted by films showing violence as the best solution to our nagging problems. While Clooney’s character wants out of his lifestyle, his motivation remains as unclear as the earlier motivation that fed his career choice. While I support European-style character studies with an appeal geared to adults rather than children, is it too much to ask for films in which violence is not a way of life? Now that would be truly grown up.

GRADE: B-

Chris Knipp
09-21-2010, 06:03 AM
In retrospect this film has flaws I overlooked, but I still like it very much, and I don't really agree with your points. Of course one would not want to have Pavel to dinner, but one's not supposed to. On the other hand one tends to sympathize with George Clooney in anything, but the fact that he's relatively unappealing and distant here is what makes this a good new step for him as an actor (UP IN THE AIR was arguably another). Now if he plays Neil LaaBute... I don't think THE AMERICAN is unconvincing, just cool, remote, and highly stylized - qualities I happen to like, as I did in the even less popular (much less popular, indeed reviled and ignored) LIMITS OF CONTROL I don't see much in your review about style and visuals. I do see you were moved by CONTROL, which I also was. This is a very different film and that's not a bad sign for Corbijn.

Howard Schumann
09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks very much for your comments. I really do appreciate them but it seems as if we are destined to disagree about many things.