PDA

View Full Version : SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (Edgar Wright 2010)

Chris Knipp
08-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Edgar Wright: SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (2010)

http://a.imageshack.us/img641/3276/scottpilgrimvstheworld.jpg
MICHAEL CERA, MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD, JOHNNY SIMMONS, ELLEN WONG, ALISON PILL

Supernerd strikes again

Review by Chris Knipp

"The first rock & roll kung fu videogame youth love story," says one (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20409532,00.html) description* of this new vehicle for the popular geeky star Michael Cera (Superbad, (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=870&start=0) Juno (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=938)), which is based on a graphic novel series. It's a hybrid, as well as a fresh young charmer that sadly wears out its welcome half way through.

The premise is this: Scott is a 22-year-old bass player in a terrible Toronto band. He falls for a "dangerously fashionable, roller blading delivery girl" with punk hair called Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), an American transplant who "starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties." He's smitten. His cheery band-groupie high school girlfriend ("and she's Chinese") Knives Chau (Ellen Wong) becomes irrelevant. The cool Ramona likes Scott too. But it turns out he must fight off Ramona's seven "evil exes." This iron-clad, if inexplicable, rule is going to shape all the reels to come.

The dialogue is witty and smart, especially at first. A lot of cartoonish, video game captions in the air ("Pow," "thunk," etc.) and other devices like scores and labels for new characters increase the feeling that this is a lively and quick-witted movie for and about the video game, texting, Facebook generation. Scott's intro line with Ramona is a silly factoid about the origins of the name Pac-Man, a bit of gaucherie he later denies. Cera has cool, quick delivery and good timing, which also help. So does the presence of Kieran Culkin (also a child star, from a child star family) as Scott's sarky, more mature gay roommate Wallace.

Kieran Culkin is aging convincingly. But Cera, what of him? The androgynous, squeaky-voiced Canadian has been acting since he was eleven: he's a pro. Paradoxically, he projects his insecure young men roles with utter ease and confidence: there's got to be an element of the passive-aggressive in this whole nerd-superman concept. Though Cera's character is 22, and seems to have had a string of girlfriends, it's logical that Scott's dating a high school girl. Cera seemed fresh and charming in his first big roles. He can project a wistful, romantic quality that came through nicely in Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1154&view=next") Now he seems to be playing roles tailored exclusively for him, like Youth in Revolt (http://www.filmleaf.net/content.php?124-YOUTH-IN-REVOLT-28Miguel-Arteta-2010-29), based on a not-very-profound series of young adult novels (contrast the tougher, more honest writing of S.E. Hinton that produced a quartet of classic Eighties youth pictures). Youth in Revolt wound up rather limp as a movie -- and began to show Cera's lack of range, which is not disguised by the massive use of loud fast CGI for his duels with ex-boyfriends of his girlfriend here.

Actually in Scott Pilgrim Ramona is the character who seems most real. Winstead's speech sounds more sincere and less arch than anybody else's. Her character perhaps is so cool she need not put spin on her words.

“They make movies in Toronto?" So goes a little throwaway lines in this movie. Tons of movies are made there, of course, but it stands in for somewhere else. Scott Pilgrim is a flick made in that city that's actually set there. This little joke is one of many throwaways and one-liners early on that create a certain effervescence. It's not all that funny, but at that point the movie hasn't burned up its cred and everything brings a smile, and there are plenty of full-on laughs too.

But then Scott Pilgrim vs. the World's fortunes go south. Strangely, this little indie comedy turns into a noisy CGI-ridden feast of pointless violence that makes you want to hold your ears and look at your watch. Why does this happen? One reason is that Edgar Wright, the director, hitherto renowned for the already classic zombie comedy Shaun of the Dead (http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=356)and the charming, energetic cop comedy Hot Fuzz, is English. Both films are deeply rooted in Englishness. If Toronto has a native spirit, Wright isn't tuned in to it. Scott Pilgrim tries to be about so many things and the fault is in the writing. Why should Scott have to battle all these exes to begin with?

Scott's forced battles become repetitious. The theme of repetition itself is forced on us. Not only is one of the exes actually twins. Scott himself is doubled at one point, and a movie star ex (occasion for that Toronto joke) turns out to have half a dozen stunt doubles who fight for him while he goes out for coffee. The climactic scene where Scott confronts rock impresario ex Brendan, played by Jason Schwartzman, another actor not aging well, seems heavy-handed. It's run twice, once with Scott's fighting strength empowered by love, the second by his need for self-respect. It's frankly hard to see much difference between these two versions. You may just wanted it to end. But it has to end twice, and the closing credits are very drab.

The fight sequences have flashy moments and it's droll to have an androgynous nerd battling Superman (Brandon Routh) and, as the movie star, a champion skateboarder (Lucas Lee). Music for Scott's band, Sex-Bob-Omb, was written by Beck. A lot is going on, and many of the invasive visual tricks work because they speed up the action (all very youth-ADD-text messaging friendly). Nothing here is for slow people. If anything the trouble is not that Wright is a slouch, for he is anything but. It's that he tries too hard. That was true to some extent in Hot Fuzz. And most of the characters introduced at the beginning who contributed to the feeling of being in a real place are thrown away, ceasing to matter, except for brief visual recognition, toward the end.

At moments the wintry exteriors of Scott Pilgrim's Toronto and his too-cool, geeky, slightly depressed young friends will bring to mind Terry Zwigoff's 2001 Ghost World, also made from a graphic novel, also populated by slackers. Probably Scott Pilgrim could have got by with a measure of its Pow! and Thunk! labels and cyber-world air battles, and still created something of the atmosphere and feel of real young lives as Ghost World quite hauntingly does. But that didn't happen, and all I got was a metaphorical lousy T shirt saying I've seen another Michael Cera movie.

Opened August 13, 2010. Box Office Mojo: "This weekend, The Expendables explodes on over 4,200 screens at 3,270 locations, Eat Pray Love gorges on approximately 3,700 screens at 3,082 locations, and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World scores around 3,000 screens at 2,818 locations. Metacritic ratings: Expendables 45, Eat Pray Love 51, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 68. Note: Metacritic has changed to a less informative format, but the old one can be accessed for now at: http://apps.metacritic.com/film/. Due to many objections they may modify back to the old one.

*Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly, August 11, 2010.

Howard Schumann
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
SCOTT PILGRIM vs. THE WORLD

Directed by Edgar Wright, U.S., (2010), 112 minutes

Michael Cera (Superbad, Juno) is Scott Pilgrim, an unemployed 22-year-old who plays bass guitar in a rock band known as the Sex Bob-omb in Edgar Wright’s zany comedy Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Scott is a scrawny kid who looks and acts like sixteen, yet he is a kung fu master with super powers who seems unusually adept at breaking the hearts of good looking women. While not to be confused with a timeless love story, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World delivers high energy entertainment, connecting with its audience through smart dialogue, heaping spoonfuls of fantasy, and tons of technical wizardry that is gape-worthy. Adapted from a series of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley and set in the mysterious city of Toronto, Canada, the film may be geared to adolescents, but has appeal for anyone who ever had to fight for the thing/person they most desired.

While it does have a story, it is relatively unimportant compared to the plethora of sight gags, pop culture references, great rock music, CG, and wild combinations of comic book and video game camera tricks. Of course, there is no separation between fantasy and reality because the characters exist simultaneously in both worlds. As the film opens, Scott has a good thing going with 17-year old Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), a student at a Catholic high school, but is teased about his relationship by his gay roommate, Wally (Kieran Culkin), his sister Stacey (Anna Kendrick) and the other band members: Stephen Stills (Mark Webber), Young Neil (Johnny Simmons), and stoic-faced drummer Kim Pine (Alsion Pill) who Scott dumped some time ago.

Scott’s relationship with Knives pulls up to a stop sign when he sees an attractive girl with flaming pink hair at the library. Introduced later at a party, he finds out that she is Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), an attractive ex-New Yorker whose straight talk and down to earth manner belies her exaggerated appearance. Scott is ready to do almost anything to win her affections but to accomplish that, he must defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends who do not take kindly to his romantic quest. One after another, Scott must take on the “X’s” while the viewer must confront the “O’s” as in “O no! not another one.”

Ramona’s ex-boyfriends include dangerous-looking Matthew Patel (Satya Bhabha) with whom she had a one week friendship in the seventh grade, beefed-up movie star Lucas Lee (Chris Evans), Todd Ingram, a loud-mouthed vegan (Brandon Routh) who looks at “half and half” as his mortal enemy, and Gideon Graves (Jason Schwartzman), a sleazy music producer with a cynical smile painted on his face. All of these ex-es engage Scott in comic book type battle royals with “Pow!” and “Krak!” along with "Yeah Yeah Yeah" seen on the screen as visual accompaniment to the high flying combatants. With each victory, Scott gets bonus points and advances to the next level while defeated opponents explode in a downpour of coins.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World has hyper-energy to spare and surprisingly more humanity and fewer stereotypes than the typical Hollywood romantic comedy. Though the fighting trickery becomes repetitious and the smartass barbs become overly self-conscious, the film successfully mirrors the struggle of adolescents to find themselves and, yes, even confront themselves before they discover their place in the world. Although personally, I hoped that Scott would end up with a different girl, the film lets us know unequivocally that we do not get what we want in life unless we are willing to fight for it. Michael Cera is an acquired taste and has his detractors, but to me he has an honest, soulful quality that makes you root for him and believe him even when he haltingly says “whatever”.

Is all the cartoonish violence a bit too much? Is the film too glitzy? Does it have too much style and too little substance? Are we beginning to see people in life merely as characters in a video game? I don’t think so, but even if the answer to those questions is yes, this wacky little film is not designed to be taken seriously any more than you would consider Snow White as a representation of the house-bound submissive female, or Tarzan, a white child raised by Mangani great apes, as a completely well-adjusted adult without any discernible flaws.

GRADE: A-

Chris Knipp
12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Very nice review, with an infectious enthusiasm. If I hadn't seen this movie I'd think that I definitely have to. My opinion is different, of course. When you say Michael Cera is "an acquired taste," I might reply, Yes, and it's also a taste that can be lost. But we'll see how his next project goes. Did you see him in Youth in Revolt? I did. My review of that is here. (http://www.filmleaf.net/content.php?124-YOUTH-IN-REVOLT-28Miguel-Arteta-2010-29)

Howard Schumann
12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Very nice review, with an infectious enthusiasm. If I hadn't seen this movie I'd think that I definitely have to. My opinion is different, of course. When you say Michael Cera is "an acquired taste," I might reply, Yes, and it's also a taste that can be lost. But we'll see how his next project goes. Did you see him in Youth in Revolt? I did. My review of that is here. (http://www.filmleaf.net/content.php?124-YOUTH-IN-REVOLT-28Miguel-Arteta-2010-29)

Thanks very much for your comment about my review even though I know you didn't much care for the film. I had a bit more energy when I wrote it than usual. I can see Michael Cera as one-dimensional but I don't see him as being androgynous.

I did not see Youth in Revolt but your review makes the film seem quite interesting.

Chris Knipp
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Androgynous doesn't mean gay, you know. Michael Cera is very heterosexual. Androgynous boys can get a girl pregnant, as is seen in JUNO. If you Google "Michael Cera" + "androgynous" you get 84,000 links. Of course that doesn't mean anything... Some people are debating whether he looks androgynous or not or what that means, but the word is very, very often used for him. I am not even a tiny bit original in associating the word with him. I think you do put your finger on something when you say he is "one-dimensional." I liked him a lot at first -- his soft, quick-witted, unagressive quality is appealing.*it's just that the characters he plays are losing interest for me because they are limited. In JUNO he's just in the background, a tall boy in running shorts all the time who gets a girl pregnant, and plays the guitar (quite well, Ellen Page says). That worked fine but when he is the main character, even a character with a slightly different alter ego, as in YOUTH IN REVOLT, things feel spread too thin.

He has also been said to look like a young Harpo Marx, and while Harop had an androgynous quality too, there was also something naughty and sexy about him. The very quality in a guy of being soft and un-macho can imply a women letting down their guard -- and getting suddenly pregnant. It's a great gimmick. But how far do we want to go from the traditional macho image, the Clark Gable, Gregory Peck type? We went to young actors who looked like muscular baggage clerks -- Matt Damon. But a skinny, wispy-voiced, androgynous young Harpo Marx? Maybe going too far?

There is a lot of energy to your review though. It sparkles.

*Jesse Eisenberg is similar, but has more of an edge; hence his working in the part of the nerdy but hyper-competitive Mark Zuckerberg.

Howard Schumann
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I read some of the comments about Michael Cera. I can see where he has a soft quality and how people could apply that term to him but I don't quite see it myself. Admittedly he is not a macho type but he is just a young dude.

Thanks again for your characterization of my review. It makes me want to keep going, even though I hardly ever get any feedback anymore from Imdb.

Chris Knipp
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
You're welcome.

Just a young dude? Well, young dudes come in all colors, sizes, and degrees of masculinity. Cera is in his twenties and has no facial hair and has a high pitched voice. You don't have to call Cera androgynous, but it's not a slur, and many see him as having that quality.

Howard Schumann
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
You're welcome.

Just a young dude? Well, young dudes come in all colors, sizes, and degrees of masculinity. Cera is in his twenties and has no facial hair and has a high pitched voice. You don't have to call Cera androgynous, but it's not a slur, and many see him as having that quality.

I understand your take on the subject. I certainly don't want to argue about it.

Johann
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Non related: Brilliant director Julie Taymor is on the Colbert Report tonight. (Just FYI)

:)

Chris Knipp
12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
She is very articulate. And even if I was disappointed in her Tempest at the NYFF, (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2875-New-York-Film-Festival-2010&p=25163#post25163)it has some great scenes in it. Djimon Hounsou, Russell Brand and Alfred Molina are fun to watch together and I liked the wispy Wishaw as Ariel. You need to see this.