PDA

View Full Version : INCEPTION (Christopher Nolan 2010)

Chris Knipp
07-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Christopher Nolan: INCEPTION (2010)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9694/inceptionphoto1535x356.jpg

Get out of my dream!

The extravagant praise heaped upon Inception is comprehensible if we assume the critics, like characters in this $200 million blockbuster, are trapped inside somebody else's dream -- Christopher Nolan's. As trippy mind-benders go, there is lots better, not the least of which is Nolan's own inception as a director, the backwards-running noir tale of a man who's lost his short-term memory, Memento. True, Inception itself, lacking the lean-mean economy of that early Nolan effort, nonetheless does maintain a clean, elegant look, and sports an admirable cast in which seasoned pros like Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Leonardo DiCaprio are backed up by talented and fresh-faced newcomers like Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt. What's not to like? Nothing; it's just that there's a little less here than meets the eye. It's a lot of eye-candy -- and talk, lots and lots of energetic expository talk. Kudos to the whole cast for delivering their endless speeches explaining what's going on with a sense of urgency. That's what it means to be a pro. But listening to them and watching a lot of explosions and somewhat pointless scene-shifting, though always entertaining enough, because intelligence and taste are at work governing things, become wearying after a while. You watch for certain effects - Paris folding in on itself, men in tight suits floating gravity-free in an elevator shaft -- but not enough strings them together.

This is a popular movie that lays claim to being "intelligent," "challenging," a mind-bender. So are the Matrix films. This means fun to talk about, but doesn't necessarily mean "good." In fact Inception hinges on some things called "ideas" (it never becomes quite clear exactly what they specifically are)-- "abstracting," that is, stealing them, and inserting new ones in people's minds. In this variation, people can share dreams, enter other people's, and shift things around. Think of it as a game, I guess; it's hard to think of it as anything else. Nothing has any logical or scientific basis. That's not the point. It's cute, in a way, like Bob Dylan's "Talkin' World War III Blues" -- “I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” -- except that some sinister things can happen when these people are involved.

Inception asks us to consider certain points about dreams. Time is condensed in dreams. This is true: events in a dream that seem to cover hours or days all happen in a few minutes before waking, in actual dreams. You can spend too much time dreaming. (Some of us knew that.) Cobb spends too much time thinking about Marion Cotillard ("Mal), his wife, who invades his subconscious when he's trying to do his dream "work."

Entering somebody else's mind through his dreams is best done by a team who dream, more or less, the same dreams. (This humorless film, too excited with itself to see very far, misses all the ironies and invasion-of-privacy issues in that point.) Doing the changing requires "architecture" which may be done by a young Sundance girl star, whose skill is judged by how fast she can draw or solve a maze.

Also needed is a "chemist," to drug sleepers so they don't wake up before the dream-work has been done, and this individual, if non-white, can later become the team driver.

Ideas, as mentioned, can be removed or added to someone's mind via entering their dream. Cobb (DiCaprio), the corporate dream-thief, who's in trouble and wants to retire, is prevailed on by Ken Watanabe to take on a cliché "last job" involving a new challenge never before tried: to insert a new idea in somebody (more missed ironies). The usual work is called "abstraction." This new thing is called "inception." A misnomer: "inception" means "beginning." Better to say "insertion."

This weakness of title, and perhaps concept, signals a certain vagueness in the plot and the writing. This is not alone in being a movie that's more about its beautifully realized scenes than about the concepts behind them, as well as more about the process of dreaming than about what happens in the waking world. The trouble is that $200 million means technology, and technology means CGI and explosions, and that leads to an action movie, and what's "intelligent" about that? Just as mainstream moviegoers confuse expensive with well-made, they tend to lose the distinction between "intelligent" and high concept. This a movie of high concepts scrunched into even higher concepts in a Russian dolls sequence that leads almost nowhere. And you know what? I don't know about you, but my dreams aren't action movie sequences. But all the dreams here are. It's stunningly unimaginative. But it reflects the mindset of today's Hollywood.

As in Calderón's saying, Life is a dream and a dream of a dream, when Cobb's project is under way to insert an idea in the mind of the heir, Robert Fischer Jr. (Murphy) we get a dream of a dream of a dream. There are also different levels of dream or unconsciousness, where the dreamer's depth of sleep is crucial, but I must admit the movie lost me there. There is much uncertainty in my mind whether what is going on in Inception is complex thinking, or just tricky plotting. Of course it gets hard to tell after a while what's the waking and what's the dream or how many dreams are inside other dreams, but really, who cares? The trippy game of moving between dream and reality is better done with a bit less exploding, as in Naked Lunch, eXistnZ, and other films, most of which are by David Lynch. The recurrent image of Inception is somebody's hand placing a plastic explosive device on a wall and seeing it go off a few seconds mater; flames; people rushing away; new scene. The inimitable Walter Chaw <a href="http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/inception.htm">puts</a> it this way: "In lieu of depth, Inception offers complexity; it's the philosophical/existential equivalent of a Rubik's Cube." There is stuff about father issues and romantic obsession, but again quoting Chaw, Nolan has taken his anguished concept of the lone self in Momento and fed it "into the grinder of multiple explosions and a script so literal it'd be insulting if the viewer weren't distracted from it trying to keep up with its labyrinthine arbitrariness." The result is yet another summer disappointment, albeit a glittering one.

Not much new about stealing and planting ideas as a preoccupation in the corporate world, except this movie makes the very odd and, again, literal assumption that an "idea" is a "thing." It's not; it's as evanescent as a dream. The conversation piece of backyard barbecues, Inception may seem a brilliant film. It is not. It's diaphanous-light content is weighted uncomfortably down by the albatross of its technology.

Chris Knipp
07-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Michuk posted a comment and link to his review of INCEPTION on the 'Best of 2010 so far' thread here. (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2873-BEST-MOVIES-OF-2010-so-far&p=24750#post24750)

tabuno
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Besides Chris taking the time to ignore my one earlier thread on this movie which could be considered hopefully an oversiighthttp://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2878-Inception-(christopher-nolan-2010), Chris seems to have departed from his usual summary of a movie and instead attempt to go to the jugular of this movie for some reason. While his commentary contains judgmental statements, his narrative seems to betray his own critique of Christopher Nolan's movie in that his statements are just statements without much in the way of specific arguments to support them except to cite other movies which he feels are better. INCEPTION is indeed an impressive work of art and like the time of arrival finally of 3-D movies, this 2-D sci fi, much like ALIEN (1979) or THE MATRIX (1999) takes the sci fi dream genre to the next level and beyond, something that in my mind is a major achievement. Christopher Nolan has taken THE CELL (2000), DARK CITY (1998), DREAMSCAPE (1984), FREEJACK (1992) and brings specular vision and image, including the important incorporation of an intimate love story component into an action thriller, that is made comprehensible and compelling. Such a movie accomplishment can't be diminished simply by mere statements.

Taking even Chris's purportedly more impressive movies such a Memento (2000), Naked Lunch (1991) , and eXistenz (1999), each of these movie are also open to critism of using the same manipulative, odd, weird, off-balance images to appeal to an audience. With respect to Memento, Inception's plot outline is just as complex and better in that it doesn't really on even more script-manipulation ploys to appear impressive allowing the movie to breath even more focus on the actual sensory beauty of the dream world than just having to play with an audience's mental memory detective mystery. Naked Lunch and eXistenz had even more weird shapes and typical Lynch-like symbolism that in same ways detracts from the movie in that it breaks the fantasy when a director's motiff becomes the characteristic of the movie instead of allowing the movie and plot and character to be the driving force behind the movie (though the Matrix-like special effects would also be criticized in Inception). Yet, such fantastic images much like those found in THE LOVELY BONES (2009) have an amazing consistency and synergistic compatible, intergrated impact with the movie so that such technical, visual mechinations become a part of the movie, not a separated appendage which elements in both Naked Lunch and Existenz had. Thus in some regards instead of being inferior to Chris's offered up movies for contrast, Inception it can be argued is superior to them and thus eligible to be ranked among the best movies of the year and a significant contribution to the sci fi genre, not a footnote that Chris might propose.

Chris Knipp
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Yes, not seeing your previous entry on INCEPTION was of course an oversight. I had no desire to "go for the jugular on this one." I thought I made clear that a good cast and clean, elegant look make this story of dream-manipulation the class blockbuster of the summer. Narrowly Hollywood, though, is its overwhelming and oppressive concept that dreams consist of nothing but action movie sequences. Kudos to the generally excellent cast, as I said, for delivering their lines with so much conviction, even when they were forced to recite a lot of exposition. And the CGI, the imagery, even, if you agree with Mithuk, the music, all excellent. I'm glad to see some of our most talented young film actors getting a chance at the big time. I prefer INCEPTON to THE DARK KNIGHT. I'm glad Nolan hasn't made a movie as hard to sit through as THE DARK KNIGHT this time. On the other hand, Walter Chaw of Film Freak Central, loved THE DARK KNIGHT and is as disappointed as I am in INCEPTION, and I suspect some fanboys may not drink the Kool-Aid as eagerly this time. If I seem harsh, it is mainly as a corrective to the almost universal raves the film has gotten; there have been better films I've seen this year, at least to my taste. Sure, INCEPTION is, as the summer's mainstream offerings go, a great movie -- compared to other new movies like THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE or earlier releases like THE KARATE KID or THE LAST AIRBENDER or going back a bit, IRON MAN 2. It may stand out among all the summer's wide release offerings. Wait till we see THE TOWN, or THE AMERICAN; they look good. Or SALT. But sure, maybe INCEPTION is worthy to be rated one of the best American movies of the year. It's not looking like a good year. I personally am looking forward to seeing Lisa Cholodenko's THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT; that's gotten good reviews. And I am glad that Todd Solandz's LIFE DURING WARTIME will soon be released.

tabuno
07-19-2010, 12:19 AM
When one get to have a dialogue with someone as literate and experienced as Mr. Knipp, it's a real pleasure because instead of inhibiting and shutting down thought and expression, he somehow liberates it into an artform.

Chris Knipp
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Well, that's very nice if it's true.... Thanks!

David Denby's review (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2010/07/26/100726crci_cinema_denby#ixzz0u8ZmwMR8) of INCEPTION in The New Yorker came out today, and it begins this way:

Christopher Nolan, the British-born director of “Memento” and of the two most recent Batman movies, appears to believe that if he can do certain things in cinema—especially very complicated things—then he has to do them. But why? To what end? His new movie, “Inception,” is an astonishment, an engineering feat, and, finally, a folly. Nolan has devoted his extraordinary talents not to some weighty, epic theme or terrific comic idea but to a science-fiction thriller that exploits dreams as a vehicle for doubling and redoubling action sequences. He has been contemplating the movie for ten years, and as movie technology changed he must have realized that he could do more and more complex things. He wound up overcooking the idea. Nolan gives us dreams within dreams (people dream that they’re dreaming); he also stages action within different levels of dreaming—deep, deeper, and deepest, with matching physical movements played out at each level—all of it cut together with trombone-heavy music by Hans Zimmer, which pounds us into near-deafness, if not quite submission. Now and then, you may discover that the effort to keep up with the multilevel tumult kills your pleasure in the movie. “Inception” is a stunning-looking film that gets lost in fabulous intricacies, a movie devoted to its own workings and to little else.

I would also like to note that the Metacritic rating (http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/inception) of INCEPTION, whhich initially was givan as 100, has now (as more reviews come into consideration) dropped to 76.

Johann
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reviews/posts on Inception.
I'm waiting until the crowds die down before I see it.
You make it sound disappointing Chris!

I was wondering if Christopher Nolan might perhaps go into his new projects without thinking them through all the way after reading your review Chris. He dove into this right after The Dark Knight and while I'm convinced his hand is sure, he might have overlooked the details you mentioned with regards to making it less complex or convoluted. I have no doubt that there is some real powerful cinematic imagery in it, even if the whole doesn't quite make up for the parts..

tabuno
07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003) nominated for Oscar's Best Picture, Best Director and Actor, and recently seen after many, many years, A MAN AND A WOMAN (1966) which won an Oscar for Best Foreign Picture can also be questioned as to why? What's the purpose. These apparently slow moving, little action, moderate suspense movies seem to just immerse the audience in a sensory blissful state of gentle tossing of both the mental and emotional buttons. Why can't a movie such as INCEPTION (2010) be accepted on the same premise of sensory and mental and emotional tossing but at the opposite spectrum? Instead of gentle and authentic realism, why can't audience be allowed to experience a dizzling, and emotional roller coaster to the same affect that has as its course a strong relational component amongst all the physical and visual components? Why can't a movei about a love lost, guilty turmoil, and the now contemporary and directly relevant real life dilemma of virtual reality and moral conundrum of what is more essential and vital living in a MATRIX like world of bliss or the reality of harsh pain and hard responsible decisions. Some people seem to overlook the deeper layer of INCEPTION (2010) that appears to drive the core of this movie without which this movie would turn into just an adult-Disneyland action ride. But for director Nolan to be able to put all this together in one movie and make sense of it is a feat unrivaled in movie history perhaps? Any takers on movies that packs so much into it and still ends up with an integrated and well packaged whole? Instead of making a "simple" great movie which in reality is very difficult, Nolan has created a "complex" great movie that is also in reality very difficult to do and made well.

oscar jubis
08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
People often assume that the best job a film student like me can have is big-paper critic. They forget all the crap that must be reviewed. And films like Inception which I wouldn't want to review immediately after a single viewing. I don't trust the existing film criticism on Inception. I am assuming that the vast majority of reviews of current releases are written right after single screenings. I don't think the film's detractors can be certain that Inception is simply an entertaining, well-made but shallow ride. I also don't trust lauding reviews because I think it is easy to be bamboozled by clever plotting and ace special effects. That alone doesn't make a great movie.

You better believe a lot of people think this movie is really great. IMdb voters have spoken: Highest rated movie of ALL TIME. It is ranked at #3 ever, because it has less total votes than The Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather. As far as box office, it is likely to stay at the top for a whole month (few films manage that) because of return business. Inception won't get close to Pixar numbers but what is clear is that the fairly large group who's seen it do love it. I don't conduct reception studies but this time I am curious: precisely, what is it about Inception that turns them on?

I will need another viewing to dismiss Variety's Justin Chang's claim that the film draws allegorical parallels between Cobb's dream-weaving and Nolan's filmmaking. In other words, he suggests that the film is, in the modernist vein, self-reflexive; that it has the potential to provide insight into the medium. Moreover, I cannot dismiss Tab's assertion that the story between Cobb and Mal is compelling at an emotional level. These metaphorical allusions and affective overtones would certainly enrich the film. These elements are present but either insufficiently proportioned in relation to the whole, or it is hard for them to resonate while one is busy orienting oneself metaphysically and making sense of the plot. I need to rewatch it to form a firm opinion about Inception.

tabuno
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
The idea of seeing INCEPTION again crossed my mind, not because of how I rated it, but there was the doubt or the thought of the "bambozzle" effect. There was so much blasted at me that I was flooded with stimuli that made it difficult, perhaps, impossible to be too discerning with everything going on. Oscar Jubis is on solid ground to see this movie again before really putting something in writing on the movie. Of course, I'm too poor to put my eyes where my wrotes are.

Johann
08-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I still haven't seen INCEPTION yet but I agree with Oscar that one should be skeptical about negative reviews AND high praise (PHENOMENAL! OUTSTANDING! BEST MOVIE EVER!)

It's always very desirable to have seen a film a few times to really qualify your comments on it.
So many people write from the gun jump.
So many knee-jerk first impressions- we're all guilty of it from time to time. But to see a movie once, write it off, never to talk about it or think about it again is a crime against the movie Gods. Only if your opinion is so strong and the merits of the movie so obvious that you can dismiss it out of hand, never to see it or contemplate it again.

I'm poor too Tabuno- I ration my theatre tickets nowadays. At 14 bucks, you have to.

Johann
03-26-2014, 11:40 AM
there's a little less here than meets the eye. It's a lot of eye-candy -- and talk, lots and lots of energetic expository talk. Kudos to the whole cast for delivering their endless speeches explaining what's going on with a sense of urgency.
Inception

This weakness of title, and perhaps concept, signals a certain vagueness in the plot and the writing. This is not alone in being a movie that's more about its beautifully realized scenes than about the concepts behind them, as well as more about the process of dreaming than about what happens in the waking world. It's stunningly unimaginative. it gets hard to tell after a while what's the waking and what's the dream or how many dreams are inside other dreams, but really, who cares? The result is yet another summer disappointment, albeit a glittering one.

Disappointment indeed.
I am a huge Chris Nolan fan, and INCEPTION is a huge failure. I don't want to rip up one of my cinematic heroes, but this movie is bunk.
It's my least favorite Nolan film. It just sucks. The acting is really bad here. From everybody: DiCaprio, Joseph-Gordon Leavitt, Ellen Page- everybody sucks. The dialogue just doesn't translate from the page to screen. I didn't believe in anything I was shown. I wasn't engaged in anything I was shown. Which is baffling, because I am usually POWERFULLY engaged in what Nolan puts onscreen. Specifically, THE DARK KNIGHT trilogy rivets me in ways that others would find absurd. But here in Inception, he is lost, giving us just a jumble of James Bond/Matrix type schlock, and it is all rather pointless, as you pointed out Chris. The actors dutifully deliver their lines, but nothing means anything. It's empty, vaccuous, nobody's home. Dazzling special effects in some scenes BUT SO WHAT? None of it matters. And that is sad for a $200 million dollar movie. Tabuno was right that Inception doesn't really pick up any real steam until the last half-hour. And even then, it's meaningless.
All that money...all that acting talent (even screen veterans Tom Berenger and Michael Caine were miscast. INCONCEIVABLE and
UNFORGIVABLE!)

Chris Nolan...how do you explain yourself with this one? You made a turkey. You are not allowed to make turkeys!