PDA

View Full Version : Young Victoria (2009)

tabuno
06-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Considering that Emily Blunt performing as Queen Victoria in a potentially epic, historical movie along with a Golden Globe nomination for best actress, it only raises the question about what went wrong with the movie. While the costume design apparently was a hit with the Academy Awareds, along with a nod to art direction and makeup the rest of the movie seems to have missed something crucial in its telling. YOUNG VICTORIA had some great unspoken, behind the scenes political machinations, even more so than MARIE ANTOINETTE (2006). Unlike the powerful and compelling HOUSE OF MIRTH (2000) plot and dramatic performance of Gillian Anderson, YOUNG VICTORIA seems to have fallen to the huge scope of the the actual historical figure herself who reigned England for more than 60 years.

Lost in the backwash of this movie was the more immediate external societal issues that were occurring at the times and while were given brief mention, didn't seem to intrude except as a climatic encounter towards the end. Perhaps, if YOUNG VICTORIA reflected accurately the disconnect between the Monarchy and the common people, then perhaps the movie just an injustice by not having presented a more holistic examination of the times by including the Queen's ascension along with the parallel storyline of the pain and suffering occurring outside the castle walls at the same time. It would be hard to produce such a movie like YOUNG VICTORIA without turning it into a small picture, examining only the intimate personal, naive trials of a young girl, the stereotypical storyline of evil protectors, and the eventual liberation into a young strong woman. Such two-dimensionalization this movie could have taken and yet it seems to have failed to break into a three-dimensional portrayal of the times as well.

Chris Knipp
06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I certainly would agree that this is a very ho-hum version of events. I couldn't think of anything to say about it. Rupert Friend also was a disappointment after being interesting in Pride and Prejudice, Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont and Chéri. Apparently the official title is The Young Victoria.

oscar jubis
06-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Tab,you present a very coherent argument against The Young Victoria, based on what I would call a fatal flaw. I have not seen the film. It sounds like I should invest my time watching other recent and better movies I have missed. Or, is the film worth watching because of its redeeming features?

tabuno
06-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Tab,you present a very coherent argument against The Young Victoria, based on what I would call a fatal flaw. I have not seen the film. It sounds like I should invest my time watching other recent and better movies I have missed. Or, is the film worth watching because of its redeeming features?

There was a time when it seemed that this movie would rise to the occasion, but by the climactic end, it seemed that I was left wanting more. There wasn't any of the majesty of the historical momentous satisfaction that anything great had been accomplished. The end result of this movie was a more focused, narrow intimate slice of a young girl surrounded in an onslaught of behind the scenes exploits that sometimes seemed almost to convoluted to enjoy. This is more of a love story. One would be better off with the PBS series Pride and Prejudice.

Emily Blunt, except for perhaps two seconds early one, really does distinguish herself from her DEVIL WEARS PRADA role, however.

oscar jubis
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Tab. There is a certain grace about Emily Blunt that might make it worth checking out on DVD.

tabuno
06-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Tab. There is a certain grace about Emily Blunt that might make it worth checking out on DVD.

Just as when it seems that Emily Blunt is going to get a role that will be etched in memory, it seems that the movie is cut short and with a lot of quick scenes that don't really do justice to the nobility of the basis of this movie. Hopefully, anybody watching this movie will be able to overlook it.