PDA

View Full Version : Some Christmas Out Takes

Howard Schumann
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
UP: Colorful and mostly delightful animated film about an old man and his dreams. It is marred, however, by the need to resort to the tiresome good versus evil plot line complete with loathsome villains. Studios seem to think that children require this. I’m not so sure this is true, but if it is, it’s only because they have been carefully taught: GRADE B

UP IN THE AIR: Outstanding performance by George Clooney about a man whose job it is to tell folks they are out of a job. Film develops the character to the point where he can lead people to see the opportunity behind the changed circumstances. Unfortunately, the film is contrived and manipulative, generally showing the worst in human behavior and stopping short of this viewer’s satisfaction. GRADE B+

INVICTUS: Morgan Freeman is Nelson Mandela who has become President of South Africa after spending 27 years in jail. Film shows his largeness of spirit and forgiving nature in dealing with the nation’s mostly all-white Rugby team competing in the 1995 World Cup. Rugby sequences fail to show the subtlety involved in developing extended plays. Little about the game is explained, even the number of points allowed for a try and the last twenty minutes of deafening crowd noise and repetitive action borders on overkill. GRADE B

Favorite song of 2009: Bitter Boy by Kate Rusby

Chris Knipp
01-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I have seen INVICTUS (as well as the other two) but didn't write a review of it because I didn't want to say anything bad about something so well-meaning about such a heroic figure. I am glad you noticed that about the rugby. It's absolutely true. Americans don't know anything about ruggy; though they had it at my college, we had to have it explained to us, and it's complicated to follow. It was crazy to see a movie about rugby and never even hear the word "scrum" mentioned once. The whole film is superficial, despite the admirable efforts of all concerned.

Howard Schumann
01-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I have seen INVICTUS (as well as the other two) but didn't write a review of it because I didn't want to say anything bad about something so well-meaning about such a heroic figure. I am glad you noticed that about the rugby. It's absolutely true. Americans don't know anything about ruggy; though they had it at my college, we had to have it explained to us, and it's complicated to follow. It was crazy to see a movie about rugby and never even hear the word "scrum" mentioned once. The whole film is superficial, despite the admirable efforts of all concerned. I thought the film had some inspiring moments, especially when the team goes out in the field to train young blacks. Other than that, I found it rather banal, though performances by Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman were excellent. My son Marc played rugby and even toured Australia, New Zealand, and the Fiji Islands with his rugby team several years ago so I learned something about it. I don't think anyone watching the film would have the slightest idea about the strategy involved or the nuances of the game. For me, I could barely take the deafening noise of the fifteen minutes.

Chris Knipp
01-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Yes, the time when they go to train the young blacks is definitely the great moment, and the one that feels most unscripted and alive. I didn't know that about your son, that's cool. I had a friend who was a rugby player and continued after college. He talked about the camaraderie and the carousing that traditionally followed games. I think Matt Damon does a fine job, and Morgan Freeman is grand, but it all seems kind of stiff, the main scenes I mean. I agree to "banal." A pity.

Howard Schumann
01-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes, the time when they go to train the young blacks is definitely the great moment, and the one that feels most unscripted and alive. I didn't know that about your son, that's cool. I had a friend who was a rugby player and continued after college. He talked about the camaraderie and the carousing that traditionally followed games. I think Matt Damon does a fine job, and Morgan Freeman is grand, but it all seems kind of stiff, the main scenes I mean. I agree to "banal." A pity. Unfortunately, Marc sustained some injuries while playing rugby that have affected his life. One of his fingers is bent to the point where he cannot play the guitar with both hands, something he is very good at. He also sustained muscle injuries to his neck and still has neck and facial pain that get in the way of his talking extensively when teaching his classes. Other than that, rugby was a blast.

Chris Knipp
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
As someone said in an article in the Amherst Student when i was there, it's "a bloody bloody game."