PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Carol (2009)

cinemabon
11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
A Christmas Carol – by Robert Zemekis

The story is the same: Scrooge is miserly and learns to accept the spirit of Christmas after three ghosts remind him of his frailty as a human being and the need for brotherhood to sustain any civilization. With the advent of computer graphic programs, the presentation of the old story has changed. So Robert Zemekis, who brought us another computer animated tale in “The Polar Express,” returns to give us the classic Dickens tale nearly word for word. Only the staging has changed and the dialogue embellished here and there.

First of all, to say we have come a long in way in computer animation would be an understatement. During the opening shot, Zemekis draws us into an opening book from the two dimensional world into a three dimensional one. This is as old as Disney when we looked into the book “Pinocchio.” However, unlike drawn animation, in the digital world, we see incredible detail that wraps all around us in this world of early 19th Century England, specifically the world of Dickens’ London.

In 1843, the world had completely lost its Christmas spirit at the time Dickens published this novella. He looked around and realized that civilization seemed headed toward a disastrous end. Thousands of people worked and slaved to benefit a very small privileged class of individuals. They perpetuated a system meant to prey on the poor and disadvantaged: work houses, debtor’s prisons, factories with long hours and terrible conditions with worse wages. The city trapped hundreds of thousands of people in this system of poverty. Life offered them little comfort except for cheap gin, prostitution, and gambling. Health care did not exist, nor did the opportunity for advancement through education (Hence, the two evils – ignorance and want). People learned trades, which were usually passed down through families. Dickens tried to change this world through a story.

In the 2009 film, “A Christmas Carol,” directed by Robert Zemekis, the spirit of the original novel lives on through the performances of Jim Carey along with a fine supporting cast that includes Gary Oldman, Robin Penn Wright, and Cary Elwes. You may remember this couple as Buttercup and stable boy from “The Princess Bride.” All of these actors play multiple roles throughout the film, voicing a variety of characters. However, the main character of Scrooge in all of his forms is Jim Carey. Gary Oldman plays both Cratchit and Marley. The animators have played off the actors’ portrayals by animating the faces to match their characters.
From the first scene, we see this is not “Polar Express.” This film has a very dark and menacing side, as does the novel. Zemekis took his time with a long take on Scrooge’s face during Marley’s burial. We see a careful study of what it takes to be miserly. The detail in skin and emotion from Scrooge is very realistic. Zemekis carefully mapped out this opening scene with wonderful precision. Perhaps he did it too well, as our expectations for the rest of the film are high based on this scene. In fact, the scene that follows – Scrooge walks down the street and makes other people cringe at his approach – has so many wonderful details that it would take several viewings to see everything included in the perfectly framed shots. This film takes full advantage of the widescreen image and will be impossible to watch on anything except that format.

Unfortunately, like “Polar Express,” the trouble with “A Christmas Carol” quickly becomes apparent on two fronts. While Zemekis has beautifully created old London with so much detail and precision it cries out for a technical Oscar, the performances start to fall flat the moment he introduces other characters. You can see where the animators responsible for Scrooge and a few others in scenes meticulously crafted these faces to show the right timed emotion. However, when minor characters enter, the film falls on its three-dimensional face. The same “doll’s eyes” event happens that plagued “Polar Express.”

To explain my position, I must revert to how a real person behaves. An actor does not focus on one thing for very long. When the camera comes in for a close up, a good actor will provide very subtle moves impossible to duplicate from take to take. Each performance will be unique. This provides a director with the proper take to establish the mood. When looking for fluidity in animation, different means are used to create those “emotions” by using stock “faces.” Yet, when Zemekis tries to mimic human faces in a real three dimensional setting, the results fall flat (unless you wish to bring up Gollum in “Lord of the Rings.” However in that case, Jackson focused on one character and not a whole movie of them.). The strange stare from people’s faces quickly detracts from the rest of the film. The minor characters lack that eye “contact.” They stare in whatever direction their face points.

My second objection is using the “3-D” for effect instead as an enhancement. As soon as filmmakers discovered that throwing something at the camera made us all go, “Wow!” they started throwing things at the camera. Overdone, this quickly becomes a distraction to storytelling instead of a way to enhance it. When the director goes “flight crazy” and starts to fly the camera through a series of narrow escapes, the effect begins to fall flat. Soon, we’re flying in so many directions we become disoriented. The film becomes a story of effects and not one with a plot. This could have been a good film if Zemekis concentrated on telling the story instead of building an amusement park ride. While I love the three-dimensional filmmaking process for realism, I hate the in-your-face style that will drive people from the process in droves if they are not careful. (I feel the same can be true for CGI). Tell the story. Add effects if needed to tell the story.

Finally, Zemekis departs from the novel and goes out on a limb to make the story modern. He starts to add some grizzly details to point of being extremely uncomfortable. My son leaned over to me as the second ghost’s part ended. As his time comes to an end (retro?) he melts away in horrific fashion.
“If this is the mild stuff,” my son wondered, “how bad will the last ghost be?”

As we watched the second ghost literally dissolve through various stages of “acid-eats-you-away” the third “scary” ghost appears. To say he was scary was an understatement. This is not a family movie for children. They’ll be frightened to death. The third ghost takes Dickens to the level of horror, with nightmare scenarios that go far beyond the story to address childhood fears that involve being chased by demons and shrinking in size. I expected giant rats spitting venom next (thought they did not appear).

Artistically speaking, “A Christmas Carol” is a masterpiece of animation. It defies anything made to date and its high-definition that shows skin blemishes and wood grain added intense realism to a world where dancing women can float up to the ceiling. Defying gravity is hardly realistic, however the director can take poetic license as long as he brings the story back to earth. Yet he does not. On Christmas day, we again fly through the air around London for about the tenth time and Zemekis makes his slam dunk final statement about Christmas (probably not one shared by Dickens). The emphasis that this is a Christian holiday is more than blatant, as Zemekis stops the camera in front of a steeple’s cross (left screen) with St. Paul’s cathedral on the right side of the screen while we hear, “…Christ is born in Bethlehem.” So this “Christmas Carol” is less about the film’s end narrative as is the obvious message “this is a Christian holiday, and don’t you forget it!” All that other stuff about goodwill toward men? They’d better be Christian men.

oscar jubis
11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for this review cinemabon. I plan to see the film whenever time permits. Will comment thereafter.

Chris Knipp
11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
A very thorough job, cinemaon. Now I don't feel particularly obligated to cover this film which, to me, is off-putting in several aspects to begin with. The points you make about "doll's eyes", about real actors' faces, about "effect" vs. "enhancement" in the use of 3-D, and about the historical context Dickens was responding to all seem to me original and excellent points. I'm reviewing some animated films myself now as part of the SFFS 4th Annual Animation Festival (http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2684). It seems despite hi-tech "perfectionism" in computer animation moving ever forward, some of the freshest work still uses the simplest means; hence Wes Anderson's success, by report (I haven't seen it yet) in FANTASTIC MR. FOX, using an old-fashioned technique, stop-motion. P.s. Was Jim Carey "born" to play Scorooge -- or was it not Alastair Sim (http://www.sheeplaughs.com/scrooge/alastairsim.htm) of whom that can most truly be said?

Chris Knipp
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
BOX OFFICE MOJO'S MARKETING ANALYSIS (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2623&p=l.htm) GIVES FURTHER INSIGHT INTO THE FILM:
Giving Carrey's Scrooge little room to breathe and not presenting the other characters beyond glimpes of the ghosts, the marketing was dominated by rollercoaster scenes of Scrooge falling through the air, rendered in the awkward real-yet-not-real performance capture style. Resting on its laurels, the campaign assumed the story was so well known that it wouldn't need further set-up. In doing so, ads lacked the story's resonant themes and emotional investment to get audiences excited again after the myriad previous adaptations.

cinemabon
11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I had a long talk with a friend of mine who saw this film. He started to argue with me that it is a Christian holiday. However, I disagreed. For years, the Catholic church had "celebrations" that centered around certain days set aside for Christ's life. Those included his birth, his death, his days of fasting, the birth of his mother, her ascention to heaven, and so on. While celebrated in the church, they were not widely held as celebrations in the community. However, the tradition of Kris Kringle as a jolly man who brings presents to good little boys and girls is more in tradition with the Christmas Holiday. That "Kris" should later be spelled "Chris" is not derived from the word "Christ," a common mistake. Putting the "christ" back in "Christmas" is a misnomer since it was never in Christmas.

The holidays become further confusing when you add in other religious celebrations held at the same time of year. The "gift giving-Santa Claus" Christmas is the one that Dickens felt started to slip away. To reward those who do good was emphasized and not one particular religion.

Chris Knipp
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
That "Kris" should later be spelled "Chris" is not derived from the word "Christ," a common mistake. Putting the "christ" back in "Christmas" is a misnomer since it was never in Christmas.

I can't quite tell what you're getting at in this post overall, but as to this statement, I find the opposite in several discussions, such as "Who Is Kris Kringle?" on the website Santa's Warehouse (http://www.santaswarehouse.com.au/history_of_christmas/who_is_kris_kringle.shtml) :

Santa Clause is sometimes referred to as Kriss Kringle, a name most likely derived from Christ Kindl (Christ-child). The German name of the Christ Child is Christkind, commonly used in its diminutive form Christkindel. The Dutch-German protestant reform movement brought in the idea that the Christchild should be the standard bearer for Christmas. Traditionally an image used for his messenger was a young child with a golden crown who holds a tiny "Tree of Light", and brings the gifts of the Christ Child. The names Christian and Christopher come from Christ. Kris is just another spelling, or another version of a realted name, not a name predating "Christ." . Christopher means "Christ-bearer" and comes from a legend of a man who carried Jesus over a river -- the now de-sanctified saint whose name I bear.

Otherwise I would assume your saying "Christmas is not a Christian holiday" relates to the idea that there were pre-Christian winter festivals of revival and (re) birth which Christmas latched onto. Mixtures of Christian and Celtic elements in winter celebrations can be found in folklore and poems like the Middle English 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight,' and the colors red and green associated with Christmas probably predate Christmas. But the fact that Easter and Chrstmas grew out of and are interconnected with earlier pagan festivals hardly invalidates them as Christian holidays and only shows that all human experience and ritual is one, as the great Joseph Campbell so eloquently and learnedly taught.

cinemabon
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Part of my misunderstanding comes from confusing Kris Kringle with St. Nicholas and the connection with Santa Claus. Also, the holiday of Christ's birth as celebrated by church also coincided with the common celebration of the Winter Solstice.

In ancient writings about Jesus, the term "Christos" was used due to the fact that learned men wrote in Greek. The term means "anointed one" in reference to Jesus. Obviously, his last name was not Christ. Since the letter X is Chi in Greek, this was often used to abbreviate, hence Xmas began centuries ago and was not considered an "offensive" abbreviation.

The celebration of Christ's birth and holiday for giving gifts and being generous while sonomous today, were not at the time Dicken's wrote his novel, as supported by this article:

"Pre-modern representations of the gift-giver from church history and folklore, notably St Nicholas and Sinterklaas, merged with the British character Father Christmas to create the character known to Britons and Americans as Santa Claus. Father Christmas dates back at least as far as the 17th century in Britain, and pictures of him survive from that era, portraying him as a jolly well-nourished bearded man dressed in a long, green, fur-lined robe. He typified the spirit of good cheer at Christmas, and was reflected as the "Ghost of Christmas Present", in Charles Dickens Festive classic A Christmas Carol, a great genial man in a green coat lined with fur who takes Scrooge through the bustling streets of London on the current Christmas morning, sprinkling the essence of Christmas onto the happy populace."

I don't believe it was Dicken's intention to make the story one of religious significance but a moral tale needed to address social problems of the time. That was my point and criticism of the film's over emphasis on religious symbolism.

Chris Knipp
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
It's all very confusing and some of us are more confused because we don't think about it as much as we used to. I don't see much harm in giving a Christmas story some religious significance, but certainly Dickens was focused upon living the righteous and kind life.