PDA

View Full Version : Steven Soderbergh: The Informant! (2009)

Chris Knipp
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Steven Soderbergh: THE INFORMANT! (2009)

Review by Chris Knipp

Spectacular true story somehow turns out ho-hum

Mark Whitacre, the corporate whistle-blower and larcenous compulsive liar, is Matt Damon's most tirelessly nerdy role. This "true" character, an executive at Arthur Daniels Midland who turns informant about corporate price-fixing, could spoil future Bourne movies for you if you dwelt on him too much. Whitacre is heavy, with a fake bulbous nose and what looks like a hairpiece. The disguise is a failure, though, because the suits and ties are of good quality and it's still obviously Matt Damon in them. But just not the Matt Damon you want to remember.

There's an attempt to disguise the whole film as something nerdy too; the images have been given an uncomfortable overheated orange cast and supplied with vaguely Seventies inter-titles, though the action takes place in the Nineties.

Whitacre himself is mass of contradictions, though they add up to confusion, not excitement. His unrelated motor-mouth voice-overs of random facts about ties, polar bears' noses, or butterfly camouflage underline his detachment from reality and from self but do not really amuse. He's a Midwesterner, but a world traveler. He's a bold grifter who embezzles who knows how many millions, but he's boring. He leads a dull life despite living with his wife and kids in a mansion and owning a fleet of fancy German cars. He's bright, but everything he does is dumb beyond all reckoning. His wife tells him just to tell the truth and so do his FBI contacts and his lawyers, but he lies compulsively until he's sent to a posh country club jail in South Carolina on 45 counts, for ten years (released after eight and a half). Set free a few years ago, the end notes tell us, he's now a CEO. In American business (wink nudge wink nudge), virtue is always rewarded.

It's hard not to remember DiCaprio in Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can, and how much more fun and how dashing that true story of a compulsive grifter was. But that was the Fifties, when flight attendants were called stewardesses and wore natty outfits; the Nineties were a drab time, and corporate graft may net you millions, but the lifestyle somehow sucks.

But still, this is an astonishing story. Why isn't the movie any fun? (It's tongue-in-cheek, but without panache.) Perhaps because it's a very complicated story, and though Scott Z. Burns has radically pared down NY Times writer Kurt Eichenwald’s 600-page book, there are still too many confusing details.

First it seems ADM's production of the enzyme lysine is jinxed by a virus, and Whitacre invents a story that a Japanese mole in the company is sabotaging the lysine cultures. Oh, by the way, ADM is a company that makes all the junk American food manufacturers put into what we eat, all the chemicals and preservatives and corn products and sweeteners, and lysine is something that's been found to make chickens able to stomach corn feed. Whitacre began as a Cornell-trained biochemist who's somehow become a vice president.

Then, Whitacre tells the FBI ADM is involved in international price fixing, and eventually they make him wear a wire and plant cameras to prove it. But it turns out that Whitacre has been embezzling the company out of millions of dollars during the several years while all this goes on. And in his lying, he sabotages himself over and over, telling the "truth" (contaminated by lies) to people he ought not to tell anything to, like the company lawyers, and the press.

Eventually he's found to be a manic depressive, AKA bi-polar; but that doesn't legally speaking excuse you from committing felonies. Ultimately the FBI has tried to get a presidential pardon for Whitacre, because they and the Justice Department, however burned they felt at the time, have concluded that Whitacre's exposure of corporate corruption was far more important than his stealing.

There's reason for anger here, and Soderbergh may feel it. However, this is too complicated to make a good story, and delivering it on film as a farce and adding an exclamation point to the original book title don't really help. Matt Damon's energy seems wasted: he still emerges as a blank. If this crackpot whistle-blower is some kind of anti-corporate hero (despite now being a CEO), why depict him throughout as a buffoon? Was that really a wise strategy? It all leaves you with a muddled feeling, and you squeeze your eyes shut and try to remember Jason Bourne racing around exotic places alongside Franka Potente, with Brian Cox and Joan Allen trying to kill them.

tabuno
09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
The eclectic fusion of 50s Marvin Hamlisch's music along with a difficult to establish contemporary era on-screen, Matt Damon's seemingly random but sometimes sage and Garrisons Keillor-like sprinkled voice-over along with a rather convoluted true-based story corporate/FBI sting operation makes are for fascinating and somehow weirdly balanced movie-going experience. Easily one of my top ten movies of the year, this strangely off-putting yet ususually captivating character of Matt Damon is able to pull off a Hannibal Lector-like why can we enjoy such a supposedly wrongful person?

This truly was a risky movie to direct and the many strands to keep track of made for a deliciously, wicked (inside joke) movie going event where the audience was able to be feel good even though it might supposedly was supposed to feel bad. It would impossible to underestimate the invaluable and perhaps rare contribution of the Hamlisch's music to enabling this movie to maintain a forward and spitely momentum and balance the on-screen drama that in actuality was perhaps slow and plodding, nevertheless the totality of the movie was brilliant in its total effect. No where has music played such a crucial and perhaps essential role in making the movie.

Chris Knipp
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
You credit the script with more wit and warmth than it has in mentioning Garrison Keillor. Hannibal Lector is another stretch and only incongruent with folksiness, and the movie.

I ought to have mentioned the Marvin Hamlisch music. I'm weak on crap movie composers.j I'm more a jazz and classical guy. I give you full credit for valuing the Hamlisch music and seeing better than I did its integral relationship to the style of the film.

I definitely will grant you the momentum too; and I ought to have mentioned that too. It indeed has forward momentum that never falters. In that sense it's very well made.

I wrote two reviews this weekend; the one of Disgrace is better. I responded far more to Disgrace, and feel it is a much better piece of work. I welcome Soderbergh's experiments and am always curious to see how they turn out. Sometimes they don't turn out too well, however. This is not as grand or as interesting a failure as Che.

I'm really beginning to question Soderbergh's judgment and his merit as a director. Of course he is always competent, and in his own ways original, and I like that he tries different things. I happen to be quite fond on Bubble, perhaps becasue I saw it at the NYFF, where things tend to get my full attention, and may look better than the woujld in the cinemplex, or even Cinema Village or Film Forum. Well, no, everything looks better in Film Forum too.

Tell me what you think of The Girlfriend Experience. But you'll have to rent it. Or do you eschew renting, like Cinemabon?

Metacritic 66. A misstep in that much better box office was expected.

Johann
09-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Damon and Soderbergh were both at TIFF to promote The Informant!

tabuno
09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
My reference to Garrison Keillor needs to be taken in context because when it comes to A PRAIRE HOME COMPANION, Keillor gets to focus almost all of his time on his witty, folksy lines and dialogue, whereas the script from THE INFORMANT! and Matt Damon must include his voice-over as part of a larger over-arching movie that include a convoluted storyline and a much different genre that in some ways is inconsistent with the rest of the movie. However, Matt Damon's voice-over contributes alot to the momentum of the movie, balancing out the more serious and possibly wrenchingly dramatic as possibly boring portions of the rest of the movie. Some of the one-liners were a nice counter-point to what was going on in the movie. In some ways, Matt Damon's character with his voice-over is very suggestive of authentic reality and allows the audience to actually get pulled into the movie further because what the voice-over offers the audience as a truly fascinating experience that the audience can relate to. There are many times during the day, when ordinary real people do exactly what Matt Damon's character does, except perhaps not talking a loud, though the voice-over could really be just a voice in the character's head. But there are so many random thoughts or connected thoughts that come out of no where that are out of the box thinking in everyday life that almost everybody experiences. Sometimes just in order to get through the day, our thoughts just wander onto strange and odd paths just like in this movie, that I think contributes very much to the movie instead of detracting from itf.

As for the Anthony Hopkins and Hannibal Lector, perhaps one of the most popular villains, Matt Damon's character based on a real character that has parallels in that typically the audience is supposed to hate and boo and dislike Hannibal Lector as a psychopath killing people in weird ways but yet by the end of the movie the audience is rooting for him. As with Matt Damon's character, who lies and makes up stories and gets rich by embezzlement and kickbacks, the audience is supposed to see him as a bad guy, somebody that needs to be given a lesson, yet by the end of the movie there is a sense of justice, of humanity, of perhaps heroic proportions as the highest corporate informant in American history bringing down a international price-fixing scheme (echoing the audience's disgust with current corporate corruption going on today). The analogy between the paradox between characters we are supposed to dislike but end up appreciating seems significant here. The exception would be for those who didn't like the movie, the paradoxical connection between these two movie protagonists would be insigificant.

oscar jubis
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I intended to see it but there was always something else I was more interested in watching. Now it is out of theaters. Perhaps it does not lose much when viewed at home on DVD.