PDA

View Full Version : At The Movies: REAL film discussion is back?

Johann
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I just read that the Chicago Tribune's Michael Phillips and the New York Times' A.O. Scott will be taking over Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper's roles from the great (defunct) TV program AT THE MOVIES.

And not a moment too soon, it seems.
"The Two Ben's" who replaced Richard and Roger were abysmal, according to all reports- I don't know because I never saw a single show. It was reported that they were hired for their looks and not their movie knowledge.

It should be fine now, with Phillips and Scott.

oscar jubis
08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
A.O. Scott is bound to elevate the level of the discussion on the show. I wonder when we can start watching it.

Johann
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Wikipedia says September 7, 2009 is when the 2 new hosts take over.

oscar jubis
08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info Johann.

Chris Knipp
08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
This seems a positive development. Both A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips are newpaper ("print') film critics, Scott the more considerable one, I'd think, but Phillips (compare their reviews of 'Julie & Julia'-- Scott's (http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/movies/07julie.html) vs. Phillips' (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/chi-tc-mov-julie--julia-0805-08aug07,0,5556744.story) ) has a knack for getting right to the essential points and providing the needed information, a helpful talent for the soundbite style of television. Much will depend on how well they work together and whether they have interesting debates rather than just say "I don't agree" or "I'm with you." As for the two Bens, comments on a YouTube of their promo clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CisnuDCEHRc&NR=1) indicate everybody is unanimous about how abysmal they have been. Scott has done short video reviews. Here (http://video.nytimes.com/video/playlist/arts/movies-critics-picks/1194811622317/index.html#1247463572561) are some. (They are reviews of classics.)

Johann
08-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Wow.
I just watched that promo clip and Man, was I ever turned off.
You can't take either one of them seriously.
Just from that short clip I know that I don't care to know what either one of them think. About any movie, whether it be Dirty Dancing or Dumbo.

I don't know what they stand for.
They seem totally vacuuous and with egos that overshadow the show. Which is the biggest mistake in the world for a show about movies. It's about the FILMS, guys. Not you. I don't care what they say. It has no weight. You just take one look at them both and know that what they say means zilch.

I'm so happy I didn't tune in and I'm even more happy that it's got two new "smart" critics.

RIP Ben and Ben. Maybe you can get jobs at TMZ or something...

Chris Knipp
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Indeed. Scott as Oscar says can elevate the level of the show. I just hope they work well together. It has the potential of being better than it has been in a long time.

Johann
08-10-2009, 10:20 AM
A show like "At the Movies" requires intellect, the ability to make points that matter, solid opinions that can help viewers make up their own minds. Ben and Ben didn't do that, apparently.
In that clip Ben Lyons acknowledges the stature of Siskel, Ebert and Roeper, but doesn't seem to realize that taking on one of those roles is bigger than himself. I didn't like Richard Roeper for the longest time until he adapted to Ebert's format. At first Roeper seemed like an office manager who was commenting on movies he saw. Then he morphed into a man who knows what weight his and Roger's opinions had to people. In the end Richard Roeper is a much respected man. I'll give him an ear anytime.

I'm actually excited about Phillips and Scott.
"At The Movies" is an important part of Americana.
Always has been. I've always loved that show.
The format, the discussions, even the clips they chose were always great. Really good show for film buffs to watch.
Ebert was totally right to boycott the direction the show took.
That show is a huge part of his legacy and to have studio heads toy around with it was not only insulting but just plain ignorant.

Chris Knipp
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
It began on PBS without ads. Then it became popular and was taken over by commercial television. I wish it had stayed on PBS. It's already sound bites. When cut up by commercials, it becomes chopped liver.