PDA

View Full Version : Castaway (2000)

Johann
08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I saw this film in the theatre in Edmonton with a good friend when it came out in 2000 and it was great.
It was great then, and it's great now. Why?

At Dundas Square last night they played it for free, with a huge screen and impressive sound system. Ever since early July they've been playing ADRENALINE RUSH! movies every Tuesday night. Next Tuesday will be Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR.
Then, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA ends the series. I hope to be there for them- I only found out about CAST AWAY by walking by the square.

Tom Hanks' acting is really remarkable. I think people don't pay too much attention to his skills, they just seem to rest on the idea that he's a "good actor and good guy". Seeing as I already knew the story to Cast Away, I focused on Tom's acting, which is quite formidable.
It's been said before, but to act with nothing but a volleyball as your co-star for the majority of the running time, that's pretty hard to do convincingly. But because we're all so familiar with Tom Hanks, we are engaged in his predicament on the island from the time he arrives to the incredible sequence of events "4 Years Later" after he gruesomely smashed his mouth with an ice skate to rid himself of tooth pain.
He threw himself into this role completely.
It's totally believable, his situation.
It's not hard to imagine a man talking to a volleyball (or a coconut or the rain gods for that matter) when you might be facing the end of your days stranded on an island where nobody knows you're there. GREAT STORY this film has. Robert Zemeckis and Hanks worked in perfect tandem to pull this movie off.
The editing is something I noticed.
It's very sharp, to the point.
The audience has no illusions about the story/situation.
We are immersed in the plight of Tom's stranded Fed-Ex man.

There was sporadic and heavy rainfall last night too, which put you in the movie as well. Having mists of water hitting your face while watching Tom on his raft made it seem like we were really with him. How you see a film without question affects your experience/opinion of it. Great film with a stellar acting job by Tom Hanks. He should've gotten another Oscar for his "Chuck Noland".
I know this film isn't watched too much anymore by people but I just wanted to post about the very enjoyable evening I had last night.

oscar jubis
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I miss an equivalent to Dafoe's Friday here and can do without the bookending romance plot, but Hanks is indeed "stellar" and the producers were right to trust him to hold our attention for long stretches of running time. Luis Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe is still boss though.

Johann
08-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, the "romance" was not very interesting. Or good, for that matter. I rarely believe Helen Hunt's "romances".
And the dinner? It seemed totally staged. Totally.
I think they could've done a better job at making Tom's character more sympathetic.
From the get-go he's pretty much a corporate shill, a "company man" all the way. Who gives a shit if a Fed-Ex lackey gets stranded on an island? Fuck him, the capitalist pig! ha ha.

This movie was all about the plane crash (which was a stunning sequence- I wish it was longer and better edited) and Chuck's experiences on the island. When he finally makes a fire and sings "Light My Fire"- it's greatness.

What would've been even more poignant is if the ship that wakes him up never sees him or picks him up. Wouldn't that be a stick in the eye of conventional Hollywood? They could've cut to his wife with her "new life" and then to him dying on the raft or drowning, THEN have a sequence in heaven where God welcomes him in, saying "Your wife is a real bitch. Let me tell you straight, Chuck- if you had of been rescued you would've found out she wrote you off as dead. That's not a loving person. Here, into my den of beauties! I've got plans for you Chuck...enjoy the bevy and then we'll talk over a cohiba and some cognac...Bet your glad to be off that fucking beach, huh"?