PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Johann
07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I just saw the trailer for Disney's newest version of Alice in Wonderland and it looks very Burton-esque, very appealing to me. Can't wait for march 5, 2010.

oscar jubis
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
My kids are going opening night. Midnight show. I'll probably have to work the next morning. So I'll watch it a couple of days later. The whole cast is great. Crispin Glover, Timothy Spall, Stephen Fry, Alan Rickman, and of course Bonham-Carter and Depp.

Johann
08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Mad Hatter's remarks on saying what you mean:

Do you mean that you can find out the answer to it? said the March Hare.
Exactly so, said Alice.
Then you should say what you mean, the March Hare went on.
I do, Alice hastily replied, at least- at least I mean what I say- that's the same thing, you know.
Not the same thing a bit! said the Hatter.
Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!"

Johann
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Alice in Wonderland (as directed by Tim Burton)

This film was quite enjoyable for me. I had to see it twice in order to get a handle on it all.
Tim Burton honors the Lewis Carroll Masterpiece with his particular/peculiar artistic flourishes.

The story begins with Alice in a quandary. She's being pigeonholed into marrying a milquetoast.
Soon she flees the scene by chasing a white rabbit that she sees.
Then as we all know, she falls into the rabbit hole that the white rabbit dives into.
Surreal fall that is...
The sequence at the bottom of the rabbit hole with the size-changing Alice is very cool.
Then she enters Wonderland....
Then she meets all sorts of characters- more than Dorothy met on her way to Oz...

Crispin Glover is great as the villian alongside the can't-take-your-eyes-off-her Red Queen.
Delicious villains for Alice to deal with.
Johnny Depp is a surprising Mad Hatter. I didn't find him to be too "Mad" tho. He seemed to have quite a bit of logic to him...
Visually the movie is awesome. Lots of colors and creative ides for the rendering of Wonderland- it seemed like it could actually exist! And it does! in the mind a Tim Burton- a true artist.

O Frabjous day!

Chris Knipp
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Mad Hatter's remarks on saying what you mean:

Do you mean that you can find out the answer to it? said the March Hare.
Exactly so, said Alice.
Then you should say what you mean, the March Hare went on.
I do, Alice hastily replied, at least- at least I mean what I say- that's the same thing, you know.
Not the same thing a bit! said the Hatter.
Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!"

Lewis Carroll was a mathematician. Here he is playing with the fallacy of mistaken reversal / converse (equating "X then Y" with "Y then X"). There is lots of stuff like this which you can find on your own, or get pointed out to you in mathematician and science writer Martin Gardner's THE ANNOTATED ALICE.