PDA

View Full Version : Up - a film by Pete Docter

cinemabon
07-03-2009, 08:27 AM
“Up” by Pete Docter

When I was a young man, I explored the Pacific Northwest with some friends of mine. One day as we hiked around the mountainous terrain, we came upon a waterfall. My friends were eager to go to its base and play in the cascading cool water. I felt satisfied to put my tired feet into the cool water slightly downstream. While they ran ahead, I waded into the rocky shallows. The sun that day caught a shiny object on the bottom at just the right angle. I reached down and plucked out a rock whose fall from the great height split the rock. When I pulled the two pieces apart, a brilliant vein of bright yellow gold ran through the middle. I hid the rock in my backpack, and vowed that one day, I would return to the falls to make my fortune. That was a very long time ago. The dream gradually slips away as I grow older.

This little story within my review is for a purpose. The film “Up,” directed by Pete Docter (with a non-credited co-direct by co-author Bob Peterson) begins in the same fashion. A young boy goes to the movies and sees a news reel about his idol, a heroic explorer named Charles Muntz. During the news reel, Muntz uses his blimp to visit exotic locations, one being a plateau in South America referred to as a “lost world.” Muntz is humiliated by the scientific community when the fossil remains of one skeleton he returns, is discredited as a fake, casting doubt on his reputation. Muntz vows to search for the animal and not return until he finds it.

The boy, Carl, is caught up in the romantic aspects of adventuring for fame. On his way home, he imagines he is the famous explorer and overhears another child’s voice using the same words. The sound comes from a dilapidated, old, abandon house. When he enters, he finds an assertive young girl named, Ellie, who befriends Carl and drafts him into her club with a membership of one. So begins the relationship between Carl and Ellie that we see in a short series of vignettes. They marry, rescue the old house, and live a wonderful life together to old age.

Here I must decline from describing the plot further. That would spoil too much of the film. Suffice it say that this little “film within the film” at the beginning of our movie illustrates a point, just as my story did – that our dreams often die before we have a chance to act on them. When Carl is forced by a developer to sell his house, he takes drastic action by attaching thousands of helium balloons to the foundation, and then goes to South America in pursuit of a dream. Along the way, he begrudgingly befriends a young boy scout and a talking dog, both endearing and the opposite of the old curmudgeon voiced by veteran actor Ed Asner (Carl).

The film “Up” works in so many wonderful ways that it when it fails at some, we tend to overlook those faults due to the beautiful nature of its story. Yes the film has a villain for conflict… and yes, the outcome tends to be predictable as it is in most “children’s” movies. However, the film is also full of surprises… colorful, brilliant, poignant, insightful… “Up” – penned by its director Docter and Bob Peterson – breathes new life into how we view relationships and what aging means to my generation, as we are often caught up in self-indulgent behavior, instead of looking out for the overall good. Highly recommended, “Up” is the also the highest megacritic rated film of the year with a 97% approval rating.

cinemabon
07-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Oscar, I was hoping you would chime in on "Up" since you said you saw the film. Just wondering...

Chris Knipp
07-05-2009, 02:27 AM
The Hurt Locker(91) and Goodbye, Solo (89) currently are higher on Metacritic as Up has dropped to 88. They change the ratings as they consider more reviews. But Up is still highest rated there among wide releases. (The Hurt Locker started out with 100, and is looking like it may emerge as the highest rated overall of the season.)

tabuno
07-05-2009, 11:58 AM
UP is deeply engrossing, engaging, and thoughtful, especially upon reflecting on Cinemabon's commentary that reveals a sharp contrast between the lives of Charles Muntz and the main character, Carl. There was both magical vibrant humor and elegant poetry in this movie but at the same time there was exposed faultlines is its delivery. By presenting a movie that was more cerebral than most, the serious undertones of this movie raised the bar on the need for consistent realism of each scene connnecting to each other that otherwise would be easily overlooked and accepted in other animated movies. As such, the minor convenient action points that betray reality periodically broke the magical fantasy of this fascinating and emotionally sensitive movie.

cinemabon
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Why Tab... you sound positively marvelous. Have you been studying film criticism out there in Utah?

tabuno
07-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Picked up a book on film, but it's so hot out here that I fell asleep. Economically, it's all I can do just to get to the movies, much less take the time to study film. All I can cite is my humble high school drama class and one year of basic acting at the state University that really didn't focus on film. I did get a lot of practice writing in the dark when taking dance in high school for two years and students were assigned to come up with critiques of high school dance concerts over two years.

oscar jubis
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by cinemabon
Oscar, I was hoping you would chime in on "Up" since you said you saw the film. Just wondering...
Thanks for asking...
I am a Pixar fan. I've enjoyed every film they've released. I think UP is my favorite. I'm sorry that my mind is elsewhere at the moment and I can't dedicate the time and effort the film deserves. I was enthralled by the film. I think the first half of the film is absolutely, undeniably excellent. It's brilliant storytelling; reminded me of the beginnings of CITIZEN KANE and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS. The second half of the film is almost as good. This is an instant classic; currently rated at #22 all-time on IMdb. To be honest, I don't feel as compelled to chime in on UP as I would other great films because there are a number of excellent reviews of the film readily available on-line.

I like this bit from the Village Voice's Robert Wilonsky:
UP "presents the most heartfelt—the most sincere—love story in recent memory: the love between a boy and a girl, who become a man and a woman, who become a husband and a wife, who become a widower and a memory that haunts the rest of what follows."

And this from Time magazine's Richard Corliss:

"Up is the studio's most deeply emotional and affecting work. The story of a septuagenarian grouch who uses his cane, hearing aid and dentures to thwart all evildoers; a buddy movie whose pals are separated by 70 years; a love story that transcends the grave — has there been a movie like this in the history of feature animation? "Well," says the man who made Up, "I hope not!"

What if the first animated film to open Cannes became the first animated film to win the Best Picture Oscar?!?

cinemabon
07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
A noble sentiment.

It occurred to me the other day why I found the character of Carl so endearing. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks! It's Spencer Tracy! He looks exactly like Spencer Tracy! He even sounds like Tracy near the end of this life! Tracy played those same kinds of characters in his last five films:

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
It's a Mad, mad, mad, mad world
Judgement at Nuremberg
The Devil at 4 O'clock
Inherit the wind
(You can't count How the west was won... voice only)

I believe this film (Up) should be nominated for best picture based on the current spate of releases thus far... however, the night is young and the nightingale has not started her pretty song, yet.