PDA

View Full Version : TETRO (Francis Ford Coppola 2009)

Chris Knipp
07-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Francis Ford Coppola: TETRO (2009)

Review by Chris Knipp

A promising young filmmaker of seventy

One thing that's clear from Tetro, Francis Coppola's beautiful, disturbing, very personal new film (a great improvement over his Youth Without Youth of two years ago) is that whether its themes are autobiographical or not, they show a man who still has strong feelings about family and a wealth of artistic ideas about how to act them out. Family seems a poisonous and irresistible thing. When Vincent Gallo tells Alden Ehrenreich at the end of the film, "We're family," it sounds as haunting as "Forget It, Jake - It's Chinatown" at the end of Roman Polanski's movie. Family, like Chinatown, is a place of mysterious trouble, of rivalries that come back to haunt you, of resentments and terrible deceptions.

There's a lot of pain about failed ambitions too. Tetro (a mean, brooding Vincent Gallo), a would-be writer, is hiding away in Buenos Aires, the birthplace of his father, when his younger brother Bennie (excellent newcomer Alden Ehrenreich) appears one night in the pristine white uniform of a cruise ship employee. The action thenceforth is an off-and-on wooing of Tetro by Bennie. Bennie wants to recover his childhood when he worshiped Angelo, as he was then. "Angelo's dead," Tetro repeats. Bennie has felt abandoned for a decade. He is almost eighteen, and ran away from military school and lied about his age to get the job on the ship. Tetro means bleak, sad, or dark in Italian. Tetro, who is relentlessly negative and hostile, does not welcome Bennie at all and keeps saying he ought to stay with someone else or return to the boat, which is docked for repairs.

The Godfather films are full of brother and father rivalries too, but because this film is about waywardness and is in coldly beautiful digital black and white with moments of intense color, it more strongly recalls Coppola's similarly color-highlighted black and white version of S.E. Hinton's Rumblefish, where Mickey Rourke played the dangerous, disreputable but romantic older brother and Matt Dillon the younger one who has missed him.

This certainly isn't Tusa, though. It's Argentina, but also an alternately windswept and mountainous Patagonia, and a world of pure cinematic imagination highlighted by trips into intense Fifties Technicolor with The Red Shoes and The Tales of Hoffman and Copola's own strange evocations of that lushly artificial style. Flashbacks in less intense color recall the father -- perhaps one should write "the Father" -- Carlo Tetrocini (Klaus Maria Brandauer), born in Buenos Aires of Italian family, a composer and orchestra leader hailed as a genius. Carlo has stifled the ambitions of another musical composer brother (played by Brandauer in heavy makeup) and seems to have driven Tetro (Gallo) mad. Tetro lives a bipolar, cosmopolitan life with a warm and sexy Spanish lady called Miranda (Maribel Verdu': we know her from Y tu mama tambien and Pan's Labyrinth,) who discovered him when he was in an asylum and she was a visiting entertainer. Tetro has all but abandoned his magnum opus, a play he can't finish, and works in a theater where he does the lighting.

One can hardly attribute the resentment of the father to Coppola himself; his own father was a minor musician best known for composing music for Coppola's films. Perhaps he himself is the evil father? But then what to make of Sofia Coppola, the acclaimed and successful daughter, a fine director in her own right? The Oedipal themes that arise may be more universal than autobiographical. The mother in Tetro, however, is partly missing from the equation, a shadowy figure who who died in a car accident when Tetro/Angelo was driving. There are so many references to accidents one begins to fear one every time somebody goes out. And indeed walking a dog proves dangerous.

Bennie discovers Tetro's hidden manuscripts, which, like hidden memories, are written in mirror writing he says is "military school code." Among varous Argentinian friends the youth meets "the most famous critic in Latin America," a woman who calls herself "Alone" (Carmen Maura, another Spanish actress, whom we know from films by Pedro Almodovar). When Benie first arrives, Tetro has a broken leg. Later he breaks a leg himself, and while recovering he transcribes the MSS into normal writing and adds an ending. "Alone" runs an arts festival in Patagonia, and he has the unwitting collaboration translated into Spanish and enters in the festival competition, which it wins. Tetro rejects all this. Gallo's evocations of depression, anger, and hostility are extremely reallistic. His final revelations and eventual warm acceptance of Bennie, whose accident causes him to miss his boat, are perhaps less convincing, though his performance is strong. Ehrenreich, who sometimes resembles a young, but more physically solid Leo DiCaprio, is touching and appealing.

It's not clear at first what the Powell/Pressberger Red Shoes and Tales of Hoffman have to do with the story, except that Tetro took Bennie to see them. But they illustrate a sensibility so steeped in cinema that it can't evoke emotion without remembering films, and later on Bennie re-imagines Tetro's life in the Technicolor style. Everything in Tetro is highly artificial, or simply cinematic, but also convincingly emotional. The tensions between the brothers have been compared to those in Kazan's East of Eden, and Coppola indeed thought of Kazan in making this film and has spoken of a felt rivalry with him. The Patagonian arts festival sequences recall both Fifties comedies and Fellini. For all this artificiality, the film stirred up plenty of discomfort in me. One can perfectly well awaken painful emotions by mimicking old films, as Todd Haynes did in his odd pastiche of Douglas Sirk, Far From Heaven. Tetro doesn't feel resolved; it has a little of the rambling incoherence of Youth Without Youth, except that it is so much more intensely felt. Above all it is a unique work that is beautiful to look at and keeps one guessing. Coppola has said this is the kind of movie he wanted to make when he was young. Well, it's still not too late, so why not?

Chris Knipp
07-03-2009, 01:23 PM
In an interview (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/06/francis_ford_coppolas_new_star.html) with New York Magazine Alden Ehrehreich, Coppola's young discovery in Tetro, says he never wanted to "trickle up. (And he hasn't.)
This is a major debut role.
Maybe it's crazy, but I always dreamed of something like this. I remember looking at all my acting heroes -- and these people started with amazing films, like Montgomery Clift in Red River and James Dean was in East of Eden, and Marlon Brando was in The Men. I had this idea that I didn't want to trickle up. So this is a total dream come true.

cinemabon
07-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Coppola moved to Argentinia years ago. No wonder his film is based there. I never understood why gave up his beloved California. Perhaps he has dual nationality and commutes.

I read your review here and also the more lengthy and indepth review you wrote for IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964185/ ). The general critical reviews are definitely mixed. Ebert and the NY Times liked it. Ebert said he was glad to see "Coppola back." Variety's Todd McCarthy called "Tetro" an "angst-ridden treatment of Oedipal issues." Most people wrote favorably of Italian cinemaphotographer, Mihai Malaimare Jr.'s work (this is his sixth film and his first "major" work. He started as a still photographer, which might explain his sense of composition). I am a big fan of Francis. However, after he moved away to South America, we don't hear much from him any longer. If "Tetro" opens locally, I'll certainly check it out, Chris.

Have a happy fourth.

Chris Knipp
07-04-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure yet if Tetro is one of the year's best American films, but it's Coppola's best in some time, with a fascinating mise-en-scene, beautiful images, a striking interplay of black and white and color, good acting, and an exciting new talent in Alden Ehrenreich. Besides being his most personal film and his first original screenplay since The Conversation it's far superior to his 2007 Youth Without Youth -- Metacritic 63 vs. 43 for Youth Without Youth. People will have to see it for themselves, hopefully on the big screen where it deserves to be seen, and it's far too complex to get much insight into it from a few reviews, but I wouldn't take exception to Ebert's saying it shows "Coppola's back" and Todd McCarthy's saing it's an "angst-ridden treatment of oedipal issues." True on both counts.

Even though Coppola has been "calling Buenos Aires home (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/apr/17/prbtcol37509/)" for a couple of years while working on this new film, I think he's still very much involved with the Bay Area and his Napa Valley estate and winery and even made a video (http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=8801) about Tetro from his Napa Valley workshop to introduce the film, showing how all his projects are being worked on there. (Incidentally, on the page with that video you'll also see one where Vincent Gallo nicely elucidates the father-son theme of the film in relation to his own and Francis' Italian-American family backgrounds.) Coppola is clearly involved in his winery, so much so that ads for Tetro also advertise the wine. An article (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/apr/17/prbtcol37509/) indicates Copola's move to Argentina is relatively recent.

I was going to mention the fact that Coppola's Buenos Aires house was burglarized (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1360360.php/Francis_Ford_Coppolas_Argentinian_home_burglarized ) two years ago, resulting in the loss of computers with work on Tetro and other equipment, an event that deeply disturbed him and led him to beg for the return of the computer files. This disaster was reported right around the time I saw Youth Without Youth in Rome.

Coppola has a history of far flung and local projects, some of which don't work out, or come and go, like his magazine in the Seventies, or the fancy restaurant Rubicon in SF that closed last year. He owns a hotels in Guatewmala and Belize and still apparently owns the old flatiron shaped Sentinel building in SF with Zoetrope offices and a cafe. And he has a newer literary magazine. Some of his projects are profitable, since by reports he put up the $15 million for Tetro himself. A man of extraordinary variety and energy, hard to pin down. He must have spent quie a lot of time in Eastern Europe, chiefly Bulgaria and Romania, when he made Youth Without Youth, and his move to Argentina partly reflected a search for another place with lower production costs, perhpas more simpatico than Eastern Europe, since Argentina has the added attraction of all the Italian families who emigrated to Argentina, like the Tetrocinis of the film.

My Imdb User Comment on Tetro that you give a link to here is not "more lengthy and in depth"; it's the same review I posted here.

cinemabon
07-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Perhaps some editing between now and then... at any rate, the link no longer applies as they have moved your review off the main page.

Chris Knipp
07-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Now it's not the first 'featured' one but it's here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964185/usercomments-9). But anyway as I said, it's the same as my one at the top of this thread, give or take maybe a word here or there.

Chris Knipp
07-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Though I wouldn't rate one above the other, I'm more pleased with and curiously hopeful about Tetro than I am with Public Enemies, because Tetro curiously enough shows promise and is full of style and passion, and Public Enemies is coldly efficient but lacks those personal, intimate qualities and that element of caring and hope.