PDA

View Full Version : The Green Mile

Johann
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Frank Darabont's screen adaptation of Stephen King's The Green Mile is Masterful in many ways.

The cinematography is near-perfect and the acting is really great.
Tom Hanks gives an excellent performance (as usual) in this dramatic, emotional film.
The production design is fantastic. They nailed the era, although I was wondering why the other guards besides Percy weren't way more strict and stern. I know they were developing character in having Tom's senior role of running "the Mile" as a noble, humane and reasonable man but I would think that men in that role in those days would be as hardass as they come. You'd hate his guts if you were an inmate. But no, Mr. Hanks is so damn friendly to us and to the prisoners that we "give it up" for some scenes in this movie that seem highly unlikely to have happened, hence it being fiction from the pen of Stephen King.
The CGI of I-don't-know-what flying out of Coffy's mouth after performing some miraculous healing to mice and people alike is another example.
You gotta suspend belief or really be in tune with "anything's possible" in order to go along with events onscreen.

Something else that occured to me while watching this.
Yes, Hanks is the man who noticed Percy's "mistake" with the sponge, but to me it is ludicrous that he wouldn't have noticed it immediately. I mean, do you actually think that after doing so many rehearsals of wetting the sponge, and with Hanks' watching Percy like a hawk anyway that he wouldn't pick up on he fact that that fucking sponge was dry? Give me a break.
But it was a hell of a scene though.
Wow. Not for kids.
Adult film with adult issues.
Emotional issues.
Moral issues.

Fantastic movie, The Green Mile.