PDA

View Full Version : The Luminato Reel

Johann
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Produced in association with ONF/NFB, The Luminato Reel is labelled "A film festival within the Festival".
"Luminato" is a festival of arts + creativity that is in full swing in Toronto every year at this time.
This is my first time at Luminato, and I went to the NFB mediatheque to see a film, REDBALL Project. I enjoyed it, but some of the "personalities" in the film go a little overboard in their worship of the red ball in question. It's an "interactive visual art project" that has multiple "meanings" to each person who views it.

The filmmaker/artist (Kurt Perschke) gives us insight into how he designed the huge inflated red ball, what he sees in the balls' representation/purpose, and how he revels in the balls' success as a large urban art oddity that everybody has an opinion on in Chicago, where the ball was inflated, installed, deflated and removed to another location, again and again, and people loved it in the city. Big hit. People of all types had an opinion of it if they crossed paths with it. Some follow & take note of the balls' location all over the city, wherever it goes, because it heightens that particular locales' profile.
It's created a cult of "Red Ball Followers", from kids to punks (some nice punk music thrown on at one point for effect), to curmudgeons to dogs, the red ball is quite the phenom in Chicago. It is squeezed between buildings, landmarks or just any old structure they decide to place it near, in, or on.

It's in Toronto now and I'm sure people are taking notice.
Mr. Perschke was at the Hard Rock Cafe last Saturday to talk about his project with other speakers. I was too late to get over there. (And it was free- quite a few events at Luminato are free. It's just a matter of getting your butt to the venues).

Johann
06-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Just got back from an amazing gallery showcasing gorgeous paintings by Raphael Mazzucco at Burroughes Building (639 Queen St. West)

It's running until June 14th and I'll be back to take some photos.
I talked to the host who was kind enough to give me a press kit.
Here's an excerpt:

Raphael Mazzucco is one of the world's leading fashion and celebrity photographers. In a career that has taken him from his native Vancouver to Milan, Paris and New York, his work has graced the pages of Vogue, GQ, and Marie Claire to name a few. Now Luminato, in partnership with L'Oreal Professionel and Lancome are bringing famed Canadian fashion photographer Raphael Mazzucco back to his native soil with a free cutting-edge mixed-media art installation. Among the highlights of the exhibition are two never-before-seen pieces specially commissioned by L'Oreal and Lancome. These works, created by Raphael and featuring FashionTelevision reporter Mary Kitchen are inspired by L'Oreal Professionel 's CENTURY OF COLOUR and Lancome's NEW ERA OF FEMININITY

Johann
06-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes indeed Mazzucco's paintings strike me right between the eyes with their originality, bold colors, passionate vibes, and STYLE.

I love paintings like his, which incorporate actual photographic prints embedded into the canvas, flashy strokes of color, quotes inscribed onto the canvas, wild and beautiful juxtaposition of assorted elements give the overall impression of sheer ART.

You want to come back as soon as you leave, and that to me is the litmus test. Galleries like the one on the 3rd floor of the Burroughes building on Queen Street West are ones I like to haunt. A heritage building with the old old staircase, creaking stairs and all. Great trip to see some Art today.
A film was shown in the gallery that documented Mazzucco's work on the two new commissioned pieces that are up for auction at the end of Luminato.
12 paintings on display, 12 Masterpieces in my humble.
I'll be back with my camera in hand...
The Artist was there, but he had just stepped out just before I arrived, so I never got to ask him any questions. Next time.
Tomorrow I'll post the names and descriptions (as best as I can do with text- yikes) of each painting.
Black Beauty was my favorite.

Johann
06-08-2009, 06:33 AM
RAIN- (commissioned by L'Oreal)
on wood, oil paint (w x h) 96" x 48"

Beautiful canvas. Colors are amazing. (colors are amazing on every painting- no joke). It has an image of Mary Kitchen.
Quotes embedded?
These moments are like water from the clouds
Tears drain away through two tear openings in the corner of the eye
Tear ducts empty tears on the surface of the eye

Johann
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
BEAUTY TROIS (commissioned by Lancome)
photographic print, resin, oil paint 96" x 48"

Just gorgeous (again with an image of Mary Kitchen).
Both canvases will be auctioned.
Both are brand-new works from Mazzucco.

New Mexico- one of my favorites (top 5 for sure).
Just astounding art. I'd love to have it hang in my home.
The photos he juxtaposes...some have flames, exotic locales, fantasy women, beaches...it's wonderful to gaze at.
Most artsy-fartsy galleries and showcases display the work of an egomaniac who calls himself an "Artist". Not so at all with this man. Proud to learn he's Canadian. (But he's a World-man).

Underwater- just stunning.
Splash- just stunning.
Africa- astounding piece. Anybody with an eye would admit that. Simply gorgeous. What I'm gonna try to do with this thread is post links to a roll of photos that I'll take of these 12 paintings.
I'll "make it so" somehow. You have to see these paintings.
It's rare to see them all in one place, so I have to pass it on.
Life- another one that stuns with it's beauty and colors.
It could be tied with "Black Beauty" for my favorite. I wish I could describe them better, but you'll see for yourself when I get the links up. This one has Indian headress feathers embedded.
Orange- as you can imagine, bold use of "citrus" colors on this one.
Indian Girl- mysterious painting, haunting almost. Beautiful.
Jackie- another unknown, mysterious female subjetc. Love it.
Gisele- another *Huge 68" x 80"! Almost 8 foot canvas* of a female subject, and this one has sand melded into the frame
Galapagos- a dreamy, luxurious painting that I also wouldn't mind hanging in my home. Just stupendous images and color..
A Day and a Life- this is the first one that grabs your eye in the gallery, as it's the first one you see to your right as you enter.
Has cloth melded to it, a rainbow of colors are all over the canvas. Just extremely appealing art Mr. Mazzucco creates.
All very very special and great museum pieces.
I'm prone to call them all Masterpieces, but you can decide for yourself when I post the links.
A great Canadian Artist who deserves to be noticed and appreciated. Grateful I got to see the Artworks in person.

BLACK BEAUTY- The Greatest piece he has in the collection in my humble, I just stood and marvelled at "Black Beauty" The colors just appealed to me so much. I really appreciate how this man uses color. He knows what the right color in the right place can evoke. It's amazing. Black Beauty is 50" x 60" and I don't even want to describe it. You are just supposed to admire it.

mroF (it's a huge part of Art)

Metallic
Chemical
Composition

Johann
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's a short clip of the C.N. Tower getting hit with lightning.
I was told the tower is hit over a hundred times a year but I've never seen it. Looked it up on youtube and found this.

By the way, the tower is made of 130,000 tons of concrete, which was all mixed on-site in the mid-70's when it was built.
From base to skypod took only 4 months to construct.
I look up at the tower about 20 times a day.
It's a beautiful structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm2UCj6eDU&feature=fvw

Johann
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm heading over to the Burroughes Gallery shortly to get my pics of his paintings.
Did some more research on this man Raphael Mazzucco, and I hope he's there so I can get him to take a snap of me with my disposable Kodak. HA HA!
He's an astounding Artist. Every video I've seen of his work and photographs is just amazing. AMAZING EYE he's got.
He's photographed Legendary actors and celebrities, he's living his life like a work of fine art itself.
As soon as I can get those photos up the better!
everybody here will like them I think.
I just gotta figure out how to get them all in one place, on one page...

Johann
06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Mission accomplished. But Mazzucco was not at the gallery.
His rep there said he was last at the gallery on Monday but doesn't know if he'll be back before the 14th.

No matter tho, as I got a photo of each painting.
I still have about 12 photos left on this roll, so it may be a couple weeks before I post 'em here.
But I will. Mark my words.
Awesome paintings this man has done.
His rep also told me that it takes about 3 weeks for him to complete a painting and that the sheen on some of them is resin, which takes a while to prepare and apply. Some of them look like they have glass on them but no, it's a resin.
So there's something.
Can't wait to see the prints.
I told his rep "I'll use a flash for every one- I don't know how well lit these are" and he replied "They're lit really well, just get the right angle".
So that is what I tried to do.
Links will be forthcoming, I just don't know exactly when.

Johann
06-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Luminato has turned out to be a real revelation for me.
This festival is awesome, and just 2 weeks ago I was completely oblivious to it.

Today I was downtown to clear up some business and I went over to Yonge and Dundas square (as I do quite a bit).
Tonight is a special night, and of course I can't be there because of work. A film screening of a 1919 German silent film with Conrad Veidt is playing *FREE* with a live musical accompaniment with 3 bands. Monday was a nice write-off for my Neil Gaiman ticket because of work and now this news. Sucks.

But at least I'm in the city while this festival is going on.
Saturday I'll be down at the waterfront to see the Cirque de Soleil do their tribute to Toronto. I've heard rumblings that it'll be very cool to see. And tomorrow I'll go to the Ryerson campus to see this REDBALL that's so famous. I got a *round* brochure from the info kiosk and of course today was the ball's day off...
So gotta go tomorrow and see how they place it, get a photo.
I'll probably post the whole roll here. Why not?
I got a sweet Harley photo, Hard Rock Cafe pics, a Maroon Lamboughini (never seen one up close before- had to take it quick- the driver was at a stoplight. It'll be a rear shot. I walked to the front of the car but that's when the light changed.

Johann
06-12-2009, 06:30 AM
I was walking on Yonge street yesterday and spotted a Converse shoe display in a window. They had bands on them- Slayer, Iron Maiden, the Doors and others. I wanted to see the Doors sneaks up close.

So I go in and there are two different Doors designs on the Doors sneakers and I asked the Asian lady clerk if I could take a photo.
WHY DON'T YOU BUY?!?!
She says, loudly.
I say "I might buy, but I want to take a photo"
She says "OK".
So I take a snap of both sneakers- they look awesome but I'd never wear them- they are total collector's items to me. I wouldn't want to dirty up the Doors logo by walking these scummy streets. Plus Converse sneakers don't appear to have any support whatsoever. I've never owned a pair- maybe they are comfortable as hell. I don't know.

They got all kinds of "limited edition" converse sneakers there.
And they aren't fucking cheap!
$139.99? That seems a little steep. Too steep for my wallet.
They even had a Presdent Obama pair!
His face on the TOP of the sneakers! Not the sides!
That's a little disrespectful in my opinion.
Some street kid who's down with Obama might think he's honoring the Prez, but to me it was a little weird.

I walked out of the store without buying anything and I think that Asian lady hates my guts. Hey, there's no law saying you have to buy something everytime you enter a store.
That reminds me of the time I was in Vancouver and I needed a plastic bag, so I dropped in to one of those ghetto corner stores on Hastings and asked for a bag. (another Asian, an old man worked behind the counter)
YOU BUY SOME-TING!
I was like "for a plastic bag?"
He shouts back: "FIFTY CENT"
I said "WHAT?!"
He shouts "YOU TINK IT'S FUCKING FREE?!?!"

I just walked out.
Owned by a foreigner..

Johann
06-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Photos of Mazzucco's paintings are back from the lab (and my other pics from Luminato), but until I figure out how to post 'em here the only way you can see 'em is by becoming a friend on facebook.

PM me if you wanna take a peek...

Chris Knipp
06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=130001&id=622980066

Johann
06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Chris, you're Magic.

Chris Knipp
06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
You just need to make more use of URL's.

Johann
06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Yah, got the pics from the Guild up in the Lounge.
Wow, modern technology...

Johann
06-12-2010, 02:46 PM
The Luminato Festival began in earnest yesterday in Toronto and I was there for the opening day/night's activities.

This (4th annual) Arts and Creativity festival is one I endorse 1000%.
Yesterday I took a photo of the "Ship of Fools", an art installation in Trinity Bellwoods park, and today I intend to take a photo of the Atom Egoyan curated installation that was created in honor of one of the co-founders of Luminato David Pecaut, a man who has passed away recently.
His last letters to Egoyan inspired it. It's called SOLAR BREATH (Northern Caryatids)/Light Air and I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

Last night at Yonge and Dundas square I got to see a free one-hour concert by Sass Jordan followed by a sexy-as-hell and showstopping Melanie Fiona.
Sass Jordan is a serious rocker chick. Her band kicks ass, and I'm sad to say I've never owned an album by her. Time to change that.
She made me a believer.. (in-joke). I was very impressed by her.
She can belt out a song just like Janis Joplin! Great way to kick off the festival. Melanie Fiona is one sexy black mama and I'd never heard of her before last night. Her singing is awesome and her backup dancers/singers are great too. She had everybody bouncing around with her sultry songs and crazy beats. Her band kicked ass as well. She's originally from Toronto and has recently been nominated for a Juno and Grammy.
It was great to witness a new talent owning the stage. Her outfit was catwoman hot. Super-tight black spandex with leather trim. I couldn't help but stare at her butt.. she was one Sexy Mama!

Today was a kids/parents arts workshop at YDS where kids could make anything, with crayons, paints, construction paper, scissors, you name it.
They had multi-colored balloons and beach balls, with a live DJ spinning records for "The Rainbow King" to dance with the kids. Lots of fun.
The Luminato Reel began today. Reviews to follow.

Chris Knipp
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
You aroused my curiosity so I looked them up.
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3428/sassphoto1.jpg
Here's Sas
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2116/melaniefionapost.jpg
Here's Fiona
Luminato Reel looks like a wide-ranging program. It includes John Malkovich, Arab women, and Rufus Wainwright.

Johann
06-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Awesome Chris- those are the SEXY LADIES.....

Yes, Rufus Wainwright is showcased, and I'm actually on my way over to the mediatheque after this post to see some films of Rufus in concert.
(He performs live during the festival too.)

Yesterday I saw a 60 minute film on Ousmane Sembene, a pioneer of African cinema (review very soon) and two John Malkovich-related films: a 35 minute doc on the making of the play he performs here at Luminato (at Massey Hall). It's based on German serial killer John Unterweger, who's story is best hoped forgotten by German authorities. (Again, review soon- much more to say about that one) and of course the cult classic Being John Malkovich, which I love and have never seen on the big screen. So far Luminato is ACES for me...I'm in love with the Luminato vibe and festival in general...

Chris Knipp
06-13-2010, 07:58 PM
BAMAKO is the only Ousmane Sembene film I have reviewed (http://www.cinescene.com/knipp/bamako.html), but it's a terrific one. I have a big poster of it in my garage that I look at every time I get into my car.

Sounds indeed like aces. This is all interesting stuff and that it's free, great. Wainwright and his dad are fascinating fellows. Malkovich is an awesome actor. Will you get a peek at the Arab women?

Johann
06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
That's great about Sembene- how did you get a poster from Bamako? Very cool.
I learned a lot about him from just a one-hour film. Reviews will be up sometime today..

Luminato is quite amazing- last night I made a collage on my wall at home out of all the free art swag I've been collecting around town.
The two Rufus Wainwright films I saw have converted me into a bona-fide fan. What a talent! From an extremely talented family!
Lots to say about that man too- maybe I can convince others to buy his music...we'll see....

And yes, John Malkovich is something else. Extremely intelligent and fascinating man.
I wish I could've seen the play "THE INFERNAL COMEDY: Confessions of a Serial Killer" at Massey Hall (and while I'm mentioning it Rufus Wainwright's first opera "Prima Donna"..) This year's Luminato has everything an Art lover could want.

As for the Arab films, I'll only be able to see one: "The Extras" by accalimed Syrian director Nabil Maleh. I'll be seeing that after I see "Johnny Cash's America" from the NXNE festival which is running in tandem with the Luminato festival. And yes, almost all of this FREE...

Chris Knipp
06-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Berkeley's Landmark Shattuck theaters sometimes put out extra movie posters in a basket, or used to. I'll look forward to your reviews.

Johann
06-14-2010, 09:27 AM
SEMBENE: The Making of African Cinema

This one-hour unrated doc illuminates the mission and greatness of Ousmane Sembene, the "Father of African Cinema" (1923-2007)

I knew absolutely zilch about him, except that he made a film in 2004 that got much recognition: Moolade, which of course I haven't seen..
After seeing this documentary I now know that he is an extremely important man.
Much of the interviews take place in his native Dakar Senegal and the influential American filmmaker John Singleton is with him, and they communicate through an interpreter.
Sembene makes it clear that his passion is for literature, not film. He was a writer of great import for a long time in Africa but he wanted to reach as many of his people as possible, so, at age 40, he set about making films.
With clips from his historic films Borom Sarret, Niaye, Black Girl, Mandabi, Xala, Ceddo & Guelwaar, we are taken through his creative processes, everything from how he writes screenplays to how he lights his non-actors. John Singleton is clearly on a pilgrimmage to get to know his Hero, and to better understand his own place as an African-American. I was very moved by the relationship he and Sembene develop. Sembene speaks French, and he doesn't mask his contempt for how the white colonial system in Europe has affected his race.
His film office has a big poster of Charlie Chaplin at the entrance, because he absolutely LOVES Chaplin. He speaks about how deep a filmmaker Chaplin was, how his walk was everything, how he saw every silent film he could see when he was younger in France. It was great to hear a 70-year old elder speaking so happily about film and Chaplin. This film is a bona-fide primer for Ousmane Sembene films. After seeing it I wanted to see a retrospective.
I wanted to know more about his work and it's import.
I have no idea how to find it on DVD (it's only an hour) but perhaps the Criterion folks can add it as a bonus to a future deluxe release? Maybe?
Very educational film and a must-see for cinephiles.

Johann
06-14-2010, 10:58 AM
the making of THE INFERNAL COMEDY (35 mins. 2009)

This 35-minute "making of" is excellent.
"The Infernal Comedy: Confessions of a Serial Killer" is a play based on the bizarro/sick life of John Unterweger, an Austrian man who serially killed young girls & prostitutes. He was sent to prison, and while there he wrote a bestselling book "Purgatory" that was hailed as a triumph of rehabilitation.
He was paroled/released, and then went on to kill 11 more women. Yeah, a real triumph of rehabilitation....
This man foiled the authorities at many turns, following the crime reportage in the papers, even helping police on investigations! His photos "on the beat " with the police are shown in the film, highlighting how cunning he was. He hung himself in his cell while awaiting trial. He's considered "innocent" because of that- he never went to trial. But with this film we all know that he was an evil cowardly fuck who was a master manipulator.

Enter writer and director Michael Sturminger. He wrote a play about Unterweger, with the hopes of John Malkovich liking it and wanting to act in it.
He did. He tells a reporter that when he saw Unterweger on TV many years ago he knew without even speaking his language that what he was doing/saying was false. So Malkovich has been aware of the man/story for a long time. The whole process of putting this story together on a live theatre stage is shown, with extensive rehearsals and interviews. John also says at one point that during one show there was a guy with a cell phone camera recording and it's "probably on youtube- not the whole thing, but some of it- you can't compete with that- some lady flipping out at a supermarket clerk goes viral- 2 million hits/views, while a Masterwork gets a few hunderd or a few thousand" (paraphrasing- notes are hard to take in the dark)
Malkovich plays the sinister "Don Juan" Unterweger, backed by the Vienna Academy Orchestra and 2 incredible sopranos.
After seeing the film I wanted to see the play. But I don't have $125 to spare...

Chris Knipp
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I did see MOOLADE and referred to it at the beginning of my BAMAKO review. However I knew little about Sembene. Oscar I think knows more and knew more all along.

Johann
06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
ALL I WANT: A Portrait of Rufus Wainwright

A sublime and beautiful 60-minute film bio/autobio of Canadian genius singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright.

This little doc is exactly the kind of thing that makes me proud of the creativity of some Canadians.
I've always known about Rufus, ever since the late 90's when I worked at the Citadel theatre in Edmonton.
One of the actors lent me his first album, told me "this is a phenomonal new singer!" and honestly, at the time I only liked the song "April Fools" from it.
I gave it back soon and never gave him another thought, aside from what I saw on tv or heard on the radio...
I didn't hate him or love him.

After seeing this divine little profile of him I became an instant fan. And I think anybody would.
He wins you over with his charms and unique original voice, not to mention his melodies on the piano- the guy is a prodigy.
Some things opened my eyes about him in this film: he was a crystal meth addict and hard-partying sex addict soon after he signed with
Dreamworks records. He made it to the big time! Cover of the Rolling Stone! A new home in L.A! Then he crashed and burned, even though as his late mother Kate McGarrigle (1946-2010) says: "He had no failure mechanism. He didn't want to die- he was always driven to create Art- the drugs and partying were just part of his experience- all the greats have indulgent phases. It WAS NOT self-destruction"- and he has definitely recovered from the drugs. Elton John (who calls Rufus the greatest songwriter on the planet) gave him advice on what to do when he hit rock bottom and he took Elton's advice, checking into a good rehab clinic he recommended and he's never looked back..
Sting (of the Police) also speaks about the genius and talent of Rufus, how unique and talented he is in pop music.

He was born in New York, to parents Kate McGarrigle & Loudon Wainwright III (both folk music legends) and they divorced when rufus and his sister were very young. Kate took the kids to Montreal, where they lived in a ritzy (gorgeous I might add) home. They were exposed to all kinds of music: opera, classical, folk, they made home movies where they acted out scenes from Tosca or a Maria Callas production- hilarious to see these personal home videos- you can see early on that this family were on an intellectual/artistic/bohemian level that is beyond most people's understanding. I loved it.

The main thing I took away from it was that Rufus is a passionate, bright and beautiful soul, who expresses himself in song (and even in regular everyday speech) with a sublime style. He's just plain GREAT. He's gay as the sun shines, but that fact is completely moot and irrelevant. The love he has to give and the brilliant spirit he brings to everything he does is just inspiring and really heartwarming.
Canadian national treasure he is.
Listen to "April Fools".
I'd go see him perform live this week but I'm a poor bastard..LOL

Chris Knipp
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Not that Rufus isn't cool and talented, but your life's NOT being a train wreck may be more a minus for achieving show-biz fame. See this humorous video (http://lolblips.dailyradar.com/video/wax-on-f-ck-off-with-ralph-macchio/) about Ralph Macchio's problem in that area: Wax on, F*ck off

Johann
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
AWESOME. thanks for that!

Johann
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH

It was a treat to see this cult classic on the big screen.

The artfully compelling opening with John Cusack performing a marionette show was very cool.
John is a puppeteer who lives with his girlfriend Lotte (Cameron Diaz) and a pet monkey.
He applies for a job on the 7 and a half's floor of an office tower- yes, the elevator stops between the 7th and 8th floors, the doors are pried open with a crowbar and you crawl out, into a very low-ceilinged office.
There he meets Maxine, a sexy beast of a lady, who is very blunt. They are in an orientation class when they begin a "relationship".
Long story short, John discovers a portal behind one of the filing cabinets that leads directly into the head of John Malkovich, where you can stay and enjoy the settings for a bizarre 15 minutes. Soon they try to exploit this phenomenal portal and the proverbial "shite" hits the "Fawn"

Great movie. Everyone is quirky and charming in it and and it's just such a novel and hilarious concept, how can you not like it?

Johann
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Prima Donna: The Story of Rufus Wainwright's debut Opera

This is an 85-minute unrated doc that chronicles Rufus Wainwright's first foray into the Opera world.

After releasing some quite successful albums, singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright decided it was time to do an Opera.
An Opera?! By a pop singer?! How dare he?

Well, dare he did. And the Opera is getting quite a bit of attention. A lot of it negative, such as "who does this novice think he is?!?!"
But also positive: the New York Times called it "A Love Song to Opera".
It opens here in Toronto as the Showcase/Must-See event of Luminato this week and I wish I could go (it's $200/ticket) to the Elgin theatre to see it live. I got a huge dose of what it looks like through this documentary, which takes us through the whole process of how Rufus got the idea to do it, how he wrote it, how he works with his director and all of the other creative people involved. It was a real joy to watch.
It was a joy because of how interesting Rufus is as a performer and as a creative force. We see him wrestling with decisions with his stage director on issues that he seems oblivious to, as he's never staged an opera before in his life. But it all works out, even though mere weeks before opening night it's not quite ready..

He was exposed to opera via his upbringing with his artistic parents, who had opera LP's and taught him and his sister Anna all about the grand operas, which they sometimes staged for home movies which are quite charming to watch..
Rufus says he decided on the name "Prima Donna" from a late-60's televison interview with Maria Callas. (the clip is shown)
She explains that the Prima Donna is "the first woman", the number 1 lady of the stage. Rufus came up with the story of an opera singer who stopped for 6 years, right at her peak, and disappeared into exile. His director said "fine, that's great. But why did she stop singing? The audience has to know." Rufus replied that he wanted it to remain a mystery. He had to be persuaded that that wasn't good enough, that the audience has to know why she went into exile, to understand her more- that's the whole reason for her story! And we don't know what happened 6 years ago? So Rufus slowly agrees to explain why she went into exile. He mentions that he remembers a story of some opera singer who sang for Aristotle Onasis and he didn't like her singing. So she stopped, FOREVER. She was so devastated. He said she said "He stole my voice".
He was intrigued by that idea. He sets it in France and the opera is sung in French.
So the opera is set in "Paris in 1970, a day in the life of Regine Saint Laurent, a once-adored soprano who suddenly and mysteriously quit the stage after achieving the greatest triumph of her career" (-Luminato booklet blurb-)

6 years later she contemplates a comeback, after an unexpected romance, which was an idea that had to be forced on Rufus- he had no romance! The director was incredulous. What kind of Opera has no romance?.

The rehearsals and actual opening night images are wonderful to be a fly on the wall for. I enjoyed the sopranos voices immensely.
Real beautiful.
There's a funny part where Rufus is describing the music as "A Big Crescendo and then..NOTHING"
Then he says: "That'll be my obituary: A big cresendo and then nothing, HA HA HA!"
I also forgot to menton that in the "ALL I WANT" doc Rufus mentions Stanley Kubrick before he performs "Beautiful Child".
He says he wrote the song after having a dream about after everything passes, all the evil goes away and there's just a baby left on the earth, like Kubrick's Star-Child. I thought that was cool.

It's 2 and a half hours, and runs at the Elgin theatre on Yonge street from June 14-19, 2010

Johann
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Last night was an amazing night at Luminato for me. I had intended to go to the mediatheque to see two films, but I was persuaded to stay at Yonge and Dundas by a pothead friend to watch the "80's Light on your Feet Party", with performances from 3 tribute acts: a Tina Turner impersonator who was incredible from what I heard- I got there just when she finished her set. I was able to see "HEARTLESS": a tribute to Heart, which was absolutely awesome. Everybody in the crowd was into it, even if they didn't know who Heart were, they knew of the songs.
Their guitar player and drummer were INCREDIBLE. Seriously- even the girl who was "Nancy Wilson" said at one point "YES! EDDIDE VAN HALEN would be jealous!" The guitar player was pretty damn awesome. He did some licks that were like Jimi Hendrix- no joke. The crowd were roaring for that guy, myself included. I felt that maybe he should be in a Big Time band. I felt like I was watching Heart for real- the voices have to bang-on to make it work, and they were. They were awesome. The final song? You bet your ASS it was BARRACUDA!!!!!!!!!

Then I had the priviledge to see VogueMadonna, the greatest Madonna tribute on the planet.
I am definitely NOt a Madonna fan, but even I have to admit that the performance I saw last night was just like seeing the Material Girl Live and In Person. Her voice was an exact copy- it was fucking scary. I couldn't believe it actually- the way she sang, the way she changed wardrobes for every number..the addition of electric guitar and insane drums over the basic backing tracks- HOLY DOGSHIT DID IT ROCK.
I'll probably never buy a Madonna record but that show damn well nearly converted me.
I found myself moving and bopping to the songs, with a huge grin on my face. Because that shit SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!
I love it when something pleasant like that happens, something that changes your perspective in such a way.

There is a clear theme emerging from this year's Luminato: DIVAS
And I'm surprisingly digging it...

Johann
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
More info is at www.luminato.com. If you can't make it this year, don't worry: this festival will be around for a long time and it should be.
It's glorious and so positive for the community. You can't get any better than "arts" and "creativity". That's LIFE to me...

You can also follow Luminato on Facebook. And if you're not on facebook then Whatsa matter with you, hey? You Gotta no respect?

oscar jubis
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Johann for this excellent thread. I read it with great interest and joy. This Sembene fan would love to catch the bio doc about him, for starters.

Johann
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Oscar. The Sembene film was excellent. A must-see for cinephiles in my humble opinon. :)
I learned a lot from it, just from the interviews and clips of his films.
A "World Director" if there ever was one..

Luminato is still in full swing as i write, and there is an arts collective here from Miami, and I intend to take photos of the Rainbow King, who has turned Toronto into the Rainbow city by this arts collective. I'll explain more later but they are called Friends With You, and they're from your city. (www.friendswithyou.com)
The next series of films I'll see on the weekend are all prefaced by a film of this collective and were selected by it's members as representative of their arts values in cinema:

The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Princess Mononoke
Santa Sangre (-which I'm really looking forward to on the big screen)

I'll post on all of them. Should be nice..

Johann
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
JOHNNY CASH'SAMERICA

Fantastic film.
Shown in connection with NXNE, this documentary is just plain awesome.
Lots of talking heads, but they all say profound things about the Man in Black.
Steve Earle, Johnny's children, Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn and even Snoop Dogg discuss Johnny Cash's impact on and love of America.

It's well known that he always identified with the disenfranchised, the poor or the otherwise hard-done-by's. And God bless him for that.
He always wore black for them (and because it's always "IN" as a color...)

He went to the White House several times, on the invite of several different Presidents. He was profoundly Patriotic, and he's seen in vintage clips giving speeches about the "tattered flag" that he loves, meeting several Presidents, visiting Wounded Knee to show his solidarity with the Native Indian (he even believed he was part-Indian. Even tho he really wasn't). He had many different sides, and they are all given some time here.His patriotism is very deep and profound- he really knew the history of America- all of it. The good (democracy) and the bad (genocide).
His fascination with cowboys, trains, criminals, The Lord Jesus, his drug addictions, his relationship with the Carter Family and June in particular are all given adequate time for reflection.
All aspects of Cash's life are looked at: his birth and upbringing in Arkansas (the cotton fields), his brother Jack's tragic death, his stint in the Air Force, Sun Records and how Memphis changed his life, his TV show in the 60's, protests, his relationship with Bob Dylan, being signed to Columbia Records, being DROPPED by Columbia, the drugs, the Billy Graham Crusades and of course Rick Rubin's resurrection and "redemption" of John as a real American Icon, rebellious as ever. It never occured to me until seeing this doc that the Trent Reznor cover song "Hurt" was him saying goodbye, explicitly.He played it for his daughter and she cried, found it disturbing. He asked her what she thought and she said "it's sad. It sounds like you're saying goodbye in that song" He replied "I AM saying goodbye!" and he laughed.
She said that he knew exactly where he was going, even right up to the end.
I am in complete awe of the Man and what he represents. He's just like Bob Dylan says he is: "John is the North Star. He'll guide your ship"
His colleagues have lots to say, too much for me to re-type here. It is 100% profile, 100% CASH. Honest, just like the man himself.

I forget who says it in the movie but I like this quote:

"Who can understand the Mystery of Johnny Cash? He had Magic. Maybe he was a Saint..."

oscar jubis
06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
These FRIENDS WITH YOU guys are everywhere! They have a very positive, optimistic, playful vibe to everything they do.

Johann
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I spent some time yesterday in Queen's Park, which was taken over by the Friends With You collective!
I like their buttons so much I bought 4 of them. They are VERY positive. I can't say a single negative thing about 'em.
The "village" they created at Queen's Park with all those colored balloons was very cool. I took a dozen photos- I'll post a link to them after the festival is over- this current roll will be 100% Luminato shots.
I went to the Atom Egoyan curated exhibit in memory of David Pecaut as well, and I also took several photos. (and got a lovely press kit)
NXNE music fest has taken over Yonge & Dundas square now- Iggy and the Stooges and X play for free and you bet your ass I'll be there.
Friends With You film series tomorrow...LUMINATO 2010 is a smash. I got to cover 80% of what I wanted to. And it cost me nearly nothing. Life is very good.

Johann
06-20-2010, 02:03 PM
THE STOOGES Live at NXNE (Yonge & Dundas Square Toronto Canada)

Last night was the most exhilerating, frustrating, Dangerous, and intense experience of my entire life.

WE ARE THE FUCKING REMAINS OF THE FUCKING STOOGES! Before we die, we're gonna do it WITH YOU!
Gimme Danger Little Stranger!
- Iggy Pop to the crowd after "SEARCH and DESTROY".

Friday night I went to see Canadian Legends SLOAN. I arrived just when they were about to go on, and I realized that I made a mistake.
I arrived WAY too late. I couldn't see jack shit. The band members might as well have been three-inch waxworks for all the good of seeing them.
The concert was awesome- those guys put on a great show. The music could be heard clear as a bell but I couldn't see 'em for shit.
So I made a mental note to myself that I had better get to the Stooges show VERY early if I expected to see Iggy at all.
How early?
Well, I made a Command Decision to forfeit the Friends With You Films series in favor of being front row for the Stooges.
I hated making that decision but it had to be that way. This was a historic, once-in-a-lifetime event.
I ate a huge lunch so I wouldn't have to be hungry and I drank NOTHING so I wouldn't have to piss. I drank no alcohol at all, smoked no herbs- NOTHING. I was willing to party after the concert...
I arrived at 3pm and staked out the most premium spot: slightly to the right of stage right- dead front, right at the black metal security barrier.
The barrier was full of people but I found an open spot and never budged from it- for 6-7 hours, until I got consumed by the crowd. It was totally worth it.
I also made a great friend- I ended up chatting with the guy standing beside me the whole time- he's got killer taste in music and he was doing the same thing I was: staking out ground for Iggy. He was able to get photos. I wasn't. I had a camera but I couldn't get it out of my pocket! The only photo I have is of the RAVEONETTES, and I'm glad I took that shot, because when the Stooges hit the stage, no one in the crowd was safe.
I'll explain in greater detail soon.
It turned out that the guy I was chatting with is Rob Ring, the Artistic Director for CAFK+A (Contemporary Art Forum, Kitchener + Area)
That was cool to learn- he's going to e-mail me the shots he took. I'm astounded that he got it done! We were in the eye of a hurricane!
I could not for the life of me get my camera out of my pocket to take a shot- the bodies were pressed so hard against me... and the sweat! the HEAT! (over 30 degrees in the sun all fucking day) The surges of the crowd- I know for a fact that people got hurt. Violent moshing, girls pissing their pants right then and there-there was one girl directly to the right of me who was crying uncontrollably who pissed herself- you could smell it, and FEEL IT. I took a long shower when I got home...I don't know how else to say it: it was a seething mass of sweaty, drunk, high and crazy souls, all there to see and hear the legendary Iggy and the STOOGES. Mike Watt was awesome. An empty liquor bottle went flying onto the stage right after they started. It smashed right at Mike's feet and he just laughed!
I thought I was dying and going to heaven, being in the middle of that searing version of SEARCH AND DESTROY.
It was like a bomb blowing up in the right place. An ATOMIC BOMB.

Did I mention that this show was FREE?
You can't ask for any better.
For the first time in Toronto's history they shut down Yonge street, there were so many people..
I have photos up on Facebook now that my friend Rob Ring took- I'm so stunned that he did it. I wasn't able to do it. He captured the moment, and I was right there.
I'm still in a little daze, still sore so it must have happened.
It seems like a dream, seeing the Man Live, who decided to do what he did because of seeing Jim Morrison and the Doors live in Detroit back in the day..
Drummer Scott Asheton was just hanging out at the back of stage left having a smoke while the Raveonettes were finishing up their set- they were astounding. I loved them. They did a great set of songs. They're Dutch, and they rock, with a singer/guitarist/drummer who looked like Nico. She does it all! And sexy as hell to boot! Gotta get some Raveonettes CD's into my life..
We saw 7 bands in total, and they were all not bad at all, for free gigs. A band from L.A. impressed me too: Mini Mansions. They were fuckin' great, they did a way slowed-down version of Blondie's "Heart of Glass" that stunned me. Very impressed- and they were on at 3 in the afternoon! in the blazing heat. But they're from L.A., so they probably felt at home.

But that gig was all about THE STOOGES.

Watching their gear being set up on stage was exciting. Two small Blackstar amps, 2 small Marshall amps, one Vox amp and Scott's drumkit right between it all. CLASSIC.
I said to Rob: "THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME", even tho I didn't have to. He knew full well the weight of this shitkickin' epoch.
I'm still in an Apocalyptic afterglow..ha ha
Seriously, that was one of the greatest events of my life. I was front row for the BEST ROCK BAND EVER TO STALK THE EARTH.
When Iggy came out gyrating and undulating and writhing...SHIT MAN, Time stood still. And yet it didn't.
What really blew my mind is Iggy came over to our side of the barrier and he looked me in the eye. I tried to get my F'n camera out of my pocket but no fucking dice..
I really wanted my own shots of the RAW POWER. But I can't complain. I made a good friend who got the job done and I can take it to the grave.
I know for a fact that I will never see a better show in my lifetime. NO-Body and NO-Thing can touch that experience.
It was too deadly for words. The energy of it is something that will never leave me. That is how it's should be done.
With singe-you heat and burn-you intensity.
I posted a video from youtube (Mosh cam) of the band doing "SEARCH AND DESTROY" that night on facebook. Watch that and you'll get an idea of what went down...

Johann
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I owe a huge thank you to Chris Lorway, the man who scouts all of the exceptionally talented people every year for Luminato.
I envy his job.
He brings together immensely talented artists for ten days every year and that needs a big standing-O.

The Luminato Festival is now (in it's 4th year) an integral part of Toronto.
I can't imagine the city without it, after last year and this year. It's truly wonderful.
I was able to get to most events and it was awesome.
A wall in my home is now "THE LUMINATO WALL"- and I'll be adding to it every year. The festival inspired me to be more creative, so I made a huge collage on the wall and I bought some paints from Art Underground (on the OCOA's campus) and have begun to "transform" the wall into a massive tribute to creativity. Lots of fun.

You can hate on Toronto all you want.
I know how Great this metropolis can be..

Chris Knipp
06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Good stuff, Johan. Your enthusiasm and the excitement of the events came through very well. No desire to hate on Toronto here. It goes back to when I was in grad school that friends temporarily lived there and said among other positie things about it that it was a great movie city.

Johann
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Chris. Toronto is indeed a fantastic movie town. I belong here.

Link to my "Luminato 4" photo album: (you must be a member of facebook)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=228003&id=622980066

Chris Knipp
06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Not such a good town for freedom of expression right now with $1.2 billion spent on "security" and over 600 arrested for the G20 summit.

oscar jubis
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
This would have happened wherever they held the summit.
Johann wrote about this issue in the Lounge section of the site.

Chris Knipp
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
In one form or another, certainly it would have.
Have not seen the Lounge discussion by J, will look, thanks.

Chris Knipp
06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
SEE THE G20 COMMENT/THREAD INITIATED BY JOHANN HERE. (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2865-G20-Summit)

Johann
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I just bought the hardcover Stooges authorized history- the first official book ever to see print on THE STOOGES.
I read in one night.
I'll post more about it later but for now let me just say that I think about that Stooges show I saw at least once a day.
It was truly INCREDIBLE.
Like a Dream, a Great Dream...