PDA

View Full Version : Made in U.S.A. (1966) Jean Luc Godard

cinemabon
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I see that Rialto Pictures has premiered a new 35mm print of "Made in U.S.A." at the Castro Theater in San Francisco (between April 1-7 in Cinemascope). The print is currently on tour. Here is a link to its schedule:

http://www.rialtopictures.com/made.html

I tried to search for a review on this site. Perhaps the learned gentlemen from Miami and New York can enlighten us on the film and its significance. Criterion is set to release the film in July on DVD.

I know that Godard was married to its star at one time...

oscar jubis
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
I remember MADE IN USA vaguely. So much so that I might simply have seen photos of Karina wearing a trenchcoat and clips of Marianne Faithful singing "As Tears Go By" rather than the entire film. I know Godard shot it in the summer of '66 during mornings then shot TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER after lunch. Would jump at the chance to watch the new print, fer sure.

Chris Knipp
05-01-2009, 03:25 AM
I saw it in Berkeley when it was new. I never found that Godard's films all made a lot of sense but there was tremendous excitement and energy surrounding and in them. Godard also appeared for a Q&A on the UCB campus with a row of people and an interpreter, just like something in one of his movies. I see from J. Hoberman's Voice review that it's at Film Forum in its revival now and if I were there I would see it. I point out though that I am not a NYC resident but California, and just spend a lot (1/4 to 1/3) of the year in NYC, and I'm in California now, recovering from knee surgery for a meniscus tear, which is going very well.

Back in those days Tom Luddy ran the "FW Murnau Film Society" which showed films in a big auditorium (Wheeler) on the UCB campus. Later he came to be director of the new Pacific Film Archive and now he runs the Teluride Film Festival. He seemed to know everything about movies, back then, so I wan't surprised when he became a major figure in film archiving out here.

Johann
05-28-2009, 05:54 PM
9 Godard's are playing this summer at the Ontario Cinematheque and Made in USA is one of them.

Jam-packed schedule right through to August..
Les Vampires in it's entirety! Over three nights!
With Live piano accompaniment! There is a God.

And how's this for coincidence? An Otto Preminger retrospective, complete with In Harm's Way! I can't believe it...

oscar jubis
05-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I am auditing a course right now that includes a 35 mm screenings of ANATOMY OF A MURDER and BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING. It will be fun to dig deep into these Otto Preminger classics. Enjoy the retrospective Johann!!

cinemabon
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm curious how you enjoyed your 35mm screen of "Anatomy..." Did it reveal information you did not see on video screenings?