PDA

View Full Version : Knowing (2009)

cinemabon
03-24-2009, 08:28 AM
In "Knowing" director Alex Proyas has presented a film made up of little familiarities one recognizes as we watch..."Wait a minute," your mind speaks, "that seems oddly familiar." Let's see.... mysterious voices that whisper to the supporting cast of future disasters (oh, how many films have used that plot device)... aliens appear in the woods at night, only to slip away... "Yes, keep going..." a time capsule reveals that the writer knew about the future all along... "Ok...." when the aliens peel back their skin, they are shiny underneath "Now just a minute... Didn't Ron Howard use that in "Cocoon"? In fact, there are many similarities with this film's plot and "Cocoon" such as the alien space craft that rescues the characters or that the aliens can fly and appear to have wings like angels or that they appear to have multiple spacecraft that simultaneously take off at the end to save humanity from their ultimate fate or that a celestial event will spell the end of mankind. In fact, nearly every part of this film, whether its the fact that the main character is an "astro-physicist" or that he conveniently lost his wife in an accident that was meant to be, seems all too familiar!

Instead of "ah-ha!" as a moment of revelation, I felt more relief that the credits rolled when the "special" children ran through a field of rolling weird wheat toward the big white tree ("Oh my God... Lord of the Rings?"). My son and I picked the weaknesses in the film apart all the way home. We laughed at the absurdity of a gigantic space craft able to go faster than the speed of light, zipping through the Milky Way galaxy and not have any impact visa vie gravity on the objects around it. Or that the aliens simply dropped off children on a strange planet without regard for their biosphere (we can eat the plants on this planet because we evolved simultaneously together... bacteria and virus don't simply kill us outright due to our progressively strengthened immune systems, etc).

The plot is rehashed. The performances wooden (Nicolas Cage drank enough whiskey to drown the most stout alcoholic and then sprang into action on wakening with no hang over? Highly unlikely!). Yet, one cannot argue with success, as "Knowing" swept the box office. Perhaps it had more to do with the fact that once the audience knows about "Knowing" they will know to stay away. I know better now.

tabuno
03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I did enjoy the movie more than you, but I had problems with it. While watching this movie, "Cocoon" didn't come to my mind. But I'm glad that you mentioned it and brought it up. Your commentary did fit nicely with some of the uneasiness I had with this movie.

I never did see any explanation about the girl being able to predict future disasters even after I saw the movie all the way through.

cinemabon
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
So many films have ended with the great mother ship landing and taking deserved humans off to a better world, "Close Encounters of the third kind," "Cocoon," "Titan AE," and "Starman" come to mind. What struck me as odd were the wings that sprouted as the kindly aliens rose to angelic music into the light. What the hell kind of "obvious" symbolism is that?

The only "cool" part of the movie as my son pointed out were the disaster scenes. The plane wreck, the train wreck and the end of the world were awesome to watch (how morbid is that?). I must admit that those all too brief sequences had incredible detail and realism. Otherwise, the film is awash with redundancy.