PDA

View Full Version : Coppola

Johann
11-07-2002, 01:55 AM
A lot can and has been said about Francis Ford Coppola.

I know he's been busy running his vineyards & cigar enterprises (all high quality too, if you're into those indulgences).
I hear he's directing an epic called Megolopolis with Nic Cage. Will it be a "standard" film or will it be HUGE in style? We can only hope.

pmw
11-07-2002, 10:14 PM
I have to think that like other great artists, there are only so many tricks in the bag.

From what we see in the excellent documentary "Heart of Darkness", "Apocolypse Now" was a massive drain on Coppola and perhaps left him dry and bare...

But as I had already forgotten about Captain EO, I imagine history will also, and that the legacy will be the two you mention...

Who knows, maybe hes interested in watching his kids develop. Any CQ reaction? BUT lets hope for a swansong.

JustaFied
11-08-2002, 11:49 AM
In the director's commentary for "Rushmore", Wes Anderson mentions that the scene that elicited the biggest reaction from Coppola (uncle of "Rushmore" star Jason Schwartzman) was the one in which the characters were drinking wine which happened to be the label of Coppola's biggest Napa Valley competitor.

Maybe he's simply made some sort of peace with himself as he's become older, so the type of passion or whatever that fueled "Apolcolypse Now" has since dissipated.

bix171
11-08-2002, 11:40 PM
He's always capable. Check out "Peggy Sue Got Married". It's a masterpiece.

Johann
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
It was announced that Master Francis Coppola will be honored with the Irving G. Thalberg award very soon by AMPAS.

I was very happy to hear that. He definitely deserves it. I saved the newspaper clipping.
What happened to Megalopolis? Was it shelved? I was looking forward to that one!

I will watch anything Francis Coppola makes. ANYTHING.
A large part of my love for cinema is due to that man's work.

Jean-Luc Godard, film preservationist Kevin Brownlow and Eli Wallach will also receive honorary Oscars this year.