PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Hood: Rendition (2007)

Chris Knipp
01-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Gavin Hood: Rendition (2007)

WARNING: SPOILERS

An ax to grind that only gets blunted

Todd McCarthy of Variety writes of this film: "One hopes that there is more verisimilitude to the North African scenes (shot in Morocco) than there is for the Chicago section; the block on which the Witherspoon character lives was quite clearly lensed in California, as it looks absolutely nothing like any street in Illinois." Well, how would he expect the "North African" scenes to have more verisimilitude than the Stateside ones? The Arab characters speak a mixed generic Arabic no actual people speak, and live in settings that are never specific either. If the Chicago of the movie is fake, at least a town is specified, but not for the town in "North Africa." Basically, Rendition is just one more American film about Arabs and terrorism and US intelligence that bandies about false generalizations in scenes that aren't real. And this time, the story isn't effective even as fantasy, perhaps because the movie has too much of an ax to grind.

Reviews of this 2007 release have (justifiably) chided the director, Gavin Hood, for turning a melodramatic, potentially wrenching and explosive story into something that winds up being muddled and flat. Maybe this came from trying to be subtle, but Hood had the wrong material for that. One must also fault the writer, Kelley Sane. How much does Sane really know about international politics, anti-terrorism, terrorism itself, particularly the Islamist kind--or about the US government and the Arab World? How much does any American mainstream filmmaker know about these things? Stephen Gaghan's almost over-researched Syriana was impossible to follow, but at least it gave a sense of the complexities and ironies of these tangled issues and worlds. But that seems to be an honorable exception that proves the general rule.

Here complex issues have been simplified to make a point about the euphemistically named "extraordinary rendition." This is the US practice of secretly kidnapping people suspected of involvement in terrorism and sending them to cooperating countries with low human rights standards like Egypt, Afghanistan, or Jordan to be tortured and interrogated. This is clearly cruel, unethical, and in violation of international law. Moreover in coldly practical terms it doesn't work very well. Besides being terrible for PR, it seems to have proven to be a poor intelligence-gathering device. This is especially true when, as has often happened, the victim turns out to be innocent. Such was true, most famously, in the well-publicized cases of Khaled al-Masri and Maher Arar. There may have been hundreds of renditions, dozens of which involved men we now know to have been wrongly accused. The practice and the term "extraordinary rendition" began with the Clinton administration, as is explained in the film, but was obviously stepped up after 9/11. Plainly the plot aims to critique this dubious tactic. But even assuming such an aim was worthwhile for a fiction feature, the effect is blunted by sequences that are paradoxically both simplistic in their assumptions and overcomplicated in their cross-editing.

Like Ridley Scott's disappointing Body of Lies and Jeffrey Nachmanoff's inaccurate Traitor, Rendition uses explosions as the starting point of its action. Somebody sets off a bomb that kills a CIA operative in that generic, unreal "North Africa." A younger, more innocent and less experienced CIA man called Freeman (Jake Gyllenhall), transparently conceived as the moral "heart'" of the piece, has survived the blast. He is immediately moved in to replace the dead operative and act as increasingly skeptical and shocked (but disappointingly limp) "observer" of "extraordinary rendition" interrogation-cum-torture designed to trace the imagined mastermind of the blast.

The CIA thinks it knows who was behind the bomb. They also--suddenly, out of the blue--think an Egyptian-born scientist called Anwar El-Ibrahimi (Omar Metwally), a US resident married to a pregnant Reese Witherspoon, has received calls on his cell phone from this man. Terrorist monikers are confusing, and Americans aren't very good at Arabic names anyway: El-Ebahimi may not be at all involved. Nonetheless he is subjected to a terrible ordeal. A Stateside CIA lady (Meryl Streep, in full ice queen mode, doing one of her accents, this time southern) orders El-Ibrahimi, who's just returning from a conference in Johannesburg, to be "rendered" to where the bombing took place. (This, by the way, is not really the way "renditions" are usually located.)

To liven things up the local cop in charge of the brutal extra-legal interrogation is having family problems. He is Abasi Fawwal, played by Yigal Naor, an Israeli actor of Iraqi Jewish origins (when you want cruel, hire an Israeli). Fawwal's pretty daughter Fatima (Zineb Oukach) is in love with Khalid (Moa Khouas), a young man whose Islamist group he's trying to disrupt. And there are other emotional complications, because the man the frantic Witherspoon seeks out to pull strings with a senator (Alan Arkin) is an old boyfriend (Peter Sarsgaard). Eventually Sarsgaard puts Witherspoon directly in contact with Arkin and Streep, with whom she pleads in vain for information about the whereabouts and safety of her disappeared husband. Meanwhile Ell-Ibrahimi gets tortured and Freeman watches and agonizes. To quote Variety again, "Locations skip around a lot and Hood's direction provides scant fluidity to knit them together." Yes, both the screenwriter and the director have bitten off more than they could chew.

Today's movies involving Arabs and terrorism in the post-9/11 world like Syriana, Traitor, Body of Lies, and Rendition make a pretense of sophistication. They have sequences shot in Arab countries, with Arabic dialogue. But the assumptions are dubious and the settings and dialogue are inauthentic. At bottom the treatment is not much more sophisticated or accurate than the stereotypes described in Jack Shaheen's survey of Hollywood movies, Real Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People.

Rendition is different from its Orientalist movie cousins in being a well-intentioned "message" film specifically aiming to expose an obviously brutal and extra-legal US practice. But this is material better treated in documentaries. Taxi to the Dark Side is such a film--a documentary dealing not specifically with "extraordinary rendition" but with closely related issues, in a powerful and strictly accurate way.

Rendition's plot hinges on the idea that Freeman, concluding that El-Ibrahimi is the wrong man and has no useful information, oversteps his authority and gets him out of the prison and back to Chicago. This plot twist overlooks the fact that "rendition" isn't just wrong when an innocent man can provide no information, but also when a guilty one spills the beans. Little is done to clarify the issues by a film as ill-informed and clumsy as Rendition.

tabuno
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
October 20, 2007 Review.

Most of this political thriller presented as a mostly run of the mill movie with a somewhat better development of many of the major characters, that was much appreciated, until the BIG twist and powerful climax that recalled twists experienced in "Silence of the Lambs," or "The Sixth Sense." Reese Witherspoon as the distraught wife of the missing Egyptian husband and Yigal Naor as the strong-armed interrogator offer strong performances. Jake Gyllenhaal unfortunately is handed a more two-dimensional character and has to struggled with a stereotypical presentation of the emotionally torn CIA analyst that has been presented many times before in other movies. Early on there is the nice scene with an explosion that resembles a scene at the end of "Saving Private Ryan," the silent scene that was used so effectively in reflecting one consequence of violence. The script also provides a little more glimpse into the mind-set of the "enemy" but still doesn't allow the audience really much understanding, again permitting the audience to wallow in stereotypical characterization. The cinematography and photography also is somewhat of a letdown because unlike "Jarhead," or "Blackhawk Down," the crisp, raw visceral presentation is missing not allowing the audience to really be there in the movie, there is some distance that keeps the audience from realizing the intensity of the emotions occurring on the screen. However, overall, the movie redeems itself by the end, offering the audience a measured look into the complexity of the United States' use of rendition and the possible complications and consequences that may occur through its use.

Chris Knipp
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I respect your opinion; I know the film can have value for some viewers. From my point of view, in this range of topics, "flawed" is not "still good." The flaws seem to be crucial.

Note: My review, above, is a revised version, though I haven't made huge changes, I've completely rewritten it. Hopefully it reads beter and makes more sense now. I've also added a description of "extraordinary rendition," in case some readers don't know exactly what it means.

tabuno
01-17-2009, 11:21 PM
My own observed flaws of this movie seem to be pretty serious and condemning. I wonder how I could still like this movie as much as I did. I think it may have to do with the "extent" to which it provided an glimpse into the possible world of rendition, an extent that allowed me appreciate the movie even with all its problems.

From an emotional impact, the movie had a huge enough impact to allow me to overlook this movie's flaws. It's like when one is in love, one becomes blind. So too with this movie, I was (maybe not so much in love but) enamored sufficiently with what I was experiencing that it drowned out my more critical functions of my brain.

Chris Knipp
01-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Well, love is blind, sure. But in reviewing films I try to avoid being blind to serious flaws.

Because I am a longtime student of the Middle East and Arabic history and Arabic language, and also because I take a keen interest in international politics and the pursuit of the so-called "war on terror," I feel obligated to take a particularly hard and critical look at films like the ones I've mentioned here, Rendition, Body of Lies, Traitor, and the more complex if muddled Syriana, that deal, often inaccurately, with the Mideast and Arab characters. I also refer to Jack Shaheen's Real Bad Arabs because I want Rendition to be seen in the context of Hollywood's very dark history of misrepresenting Arabs, as it has also misrepresented Native Americans and gay people, and is also in the process of misrepresenting Hispanic people. Of course now there are "good" Arabs and "bad" Arabs, but it's all in a context that is distorted and fake. I probably ought to have mentioned that the senator (Alan Arkin) and the CIA chief (Meryl Streep) are also distorted and fake and made exaggeratedly cold and cynical in order to push the film's agenda. It's hard in the space of a 1,000-word review to cover all the ways this movie is misguided, simplistic, wrong, and also a badly made movie. I think it's easy to be deceived by exotic settings, dramatic changes of scene back and forth from bedrooms to balconies to city squares to mosques, from Chicago to DC to "North Africa," with emotional outbursts, desperation, lovemaking, Islamic terrorist rallies, suffering and torture and explosions, all linked and introduced by portentous music and sound effects, into finding it all significant, even though it's basically a farrago of nonsense that misleads and misstates and, to make matters worse, is not even good entertainment.

You mentioned Jarhead and Black Hawk Down, and it seemed strange to me that you would put this film in that context rather than the context of more related films. Black Hawk down I consider very pernicious, though brilliantly effective action filmmaking. It deals with a highly political situation in an apolitical way and just makes it into an exciting action film. (This too was made in Morocco, incidentally. Morocco is Hollywood's Bollywood Arab World.) Jarhead fizzled for most viewers and reviewers, but I actually liked it, because I thought it captured essential aspects of the Gulf War and the detachment from reality of a lot of "high tech" modern warfare. Jarhead is witty and accurate and captures some of the ironies of that war, as does David O. Russell's brilliant Three Kings--which also is a very entertaining and welll-made film. So I would never mention Jarhead and Black Hawk Down in the same breath. Three Kings is what Jarhead comes close to being and what Black Hawk Down totally fails to be.

Because of my orientation and special background, I'm on the lookout for films that represent America's actions in the Mideast and Arabs in a more accurate way. Some feel that Nick Bloomfield's Battle for Haditha is unfair to or distorts events and maybe so; who will ever know? But it impressed me that its Iraqis were for the most part played by real Iraqis and they spoke Iraqi Arabic. That, believe me, is extremely rare.

I recognize that loving a film makes one able to appreciate it more and overlook what others see as its flaws. But when a film is clearly flawed, I would hope that I recognize that however much I may "love" it.

All that being said, I will grant you that it was a good idea to make a movie about "extraordinary rendition." Or it's important for people to know about it. But as I said in my review, this is material better dealt with in a documentary--or in a semi-documentary, a docu-crama, like Battle for Haditha. Kelley Sane's attempt to fabricate a "balanced" drama doesn't convince me, and the film can't even represent American locations accurately, not to mention North African ones.

So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

tabuno
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
It appears the one of Chris Knipp's criteria, a necessary, though probably not sufficient condition for a good, great movie is realism and authenticity of the background for any more as well as the main characters. If this is so, I'm interested in his opinion of Memoirs of a Geisha (2005).

tabuno
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Went to see Helen at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City and discovered that my professional experience with mental illness got in the way of enjoying the movie because of the many small incongruous misteps. I now appreciate or perhaps regret the intrusion of reality into fictional dramatization. Does good storytelling have to adhere so strictly to reality and accurate scientific fact? Whatever happened to imagination, creativity, and fantasy? The "what if" experience scenario.