PDA

View Full Version : Germans to Hollywood

Johann
01-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I was flipping through channels last night and came across a documentary on Germans fleeing to Hollywood around the time of Hitler's rise. (Wish I knew what it was named- I don't have a TV guide)

It profiled the careers of Fritz Lang, Ernst Lubitsch, Billy Wilder, Fred Zinneman, and others.
I learned that Warner Brothers was the first American studio to make an anti-Nazi film and I learned just what these directors had to go through to have careers in the U.S.
Americans weren't sympathetic to Germans coming to America, and many had to learn to speak english and keep German conversation on the streets to a minimum.

Fritz Lang made enemies of his cast and crew with his exacting standards and was fired at the end of his first picture with Spencer Tracy, (FURY) even though many say it was Tracy's finest performance. (Even to this day).

Ernst Lubitsch did well because he adapted to the studio system better than others. He was a master at dialogue. The clips from To Be or Not To Be and Ninotchka were great.

A significant amount of time was given to profiling Peter Lorre, star of Lang's M. After the war Germans wanted him to come to Germany and help the country- he was a much-loved star in Europe. I also learned that almost every supporting cast member of Casablanca was an exile from Germany, who fled from Hitler's oppression. They paid small dues from their salaries into a special fund to help the next round of emigres who were inevitably on their way to America.
Peter Lorre said his own best acting job was in The Maltese Falcon, and the clips of his scenes were great to see again in a new context.

Damn I wish I knew what the name of that documentary was...
I try to track it down.
Most members here would love it I think.

Johann
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
The only listing on the imdb that it *might* be is The Exiles, but I didn't hear Rod Steiger narrating. It was a woman's voice.

oscar jubis
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the excellent post Johann. I was also very impressed with the documentary. These immigrants had a greater impact on Hollywood and American cinema than "merely" inventing film noir. And there's probably no better place to learn about it than here. Then one can explore the specific films and filmmakers more in depth elsewhere.
Here's general information about the film with links to all kinds of stuff including a trailer:
CINEMA'S EXILES: FROM HITLER TO HOLLYWOOD (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/cinemasexiles/2008/12/02/about-the-film/)

cinemabon
01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I watched, too... the narrator was Sigourney Weaver, her voice unmistakable.

I loved the story about Korngold in a reprimand being told his music was meant for a symphony hall, not a film, to which he replied, "Thank you," and walked out.

Other stories not told include Directors like William Wyler, or composers like Max Steiner and Alfred Newman who also helped in the effort to support Jewish refugees. While the documentary pointed out the difficulty entering the closed shop of the guilds, that was true for many talented people, not simply refugees.

Johann
01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks gentlemen.

I couldn't tell it was Sigourney Weaver's voice.
The film has a wealth of information, about film noir and many many other historical items of note.
I would say it's essential viewing for film buffs.

I realized just how better Fritz Lang's German films are compared to his Hollywood work. (But his Hollywood films are pretty damn great too).

cinemabon
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Oscar for the weblink. I also noted some controversy over the film in reporting certain facts: I read the comments posted on the film site with interest on some of the heartrending stories. One commented the Austrian contribution under reported. Another told an extremely sad story of a once famous wealthy couple stripped of their funds reduced to working tables and cooking for a living in New York, dying in relative poverty and obscurity. The tendency of filmmakers to focus on the famous often leaves the war's true victims, as Billy Wilder put it, lost along the wayside.

I was surprised on how much Marlene Dietrich contributed. She arrived in Hollywood before Hitler came to power in 1930, right after the advent of sound. I watched a whole series of her films in Los Angeles in the 1970's in their original 35mm format, films like: Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express ("It took more than one man to give me the name... Shanghai Lillie!"), Blonde Venus, The Scarlet Empress, and The Devil is a woman, all with Von Sternberg directing. Her "Hot Voodoo" number from "Blonde Venus" introduced American audiences to her bisexual preferences. What a woman! What a number! After the doc, I was even more impressed.

Johann
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes, much thanks to Oscar for finding the title and PBS link.
You're the Man oscar!
I'm always amazed at your ability to locate information on films.

Great points about Dietrich, cinemabon. I love her.
She's a bonafide Screen Legend, up there with Marilyn, Mae West, Rita Hayworth, Maureen O'Hara, Vivien Leigh and many other worthy ladies.
The Devil is a Woman is probably my favorite of hers but I worship all of her films. The way Sternberg lit her...wowza.
She always seemed to have a halo of angelical light around her, adding to her mysterious and compelling persona.

Good point about how it wasn't just the famous who suffered.
The stories of hardship are legion for this particular part of history, and Wilder was absolutely correct that many fell to the wayside.

Do either of you guys know if this is available on DVD yet?
I missed the first 15 minutes or so.

oscar jubis
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
You're welcome!
Not on dvd yet. I'll post here when it comes out.
I find it hard to pick favorites among the Sternberg-Dietrich pictures. the last two I (re)watched are MOROCCO and THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN.