PDA

View Full Version : 15 Films make the First Cut for Documentary Oscar

oscar jubis
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has narrowed the list of documentaries competing for 5 nominations in the Best Documentary category to the following 15:

"At the Death House Door", directed by Peter Gilbert and Steve James

"The Betrayal" (Nerakhoon), directed by Ellen Kuras

"Blessed Is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh", directed by Roberta Grossman

"Encounters at the End of the World", directed by Werner Herzog

"Fuel", directed by Josh Tickell

"The Garden", directed by Scott Hamilton Kennedy

"Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts", directed by Scott Hicks

"I.O.U.S.A.", directed by Patrick Creadon

"In a Dream", directed by Jeremiah Zagar

"Made in America", directed by Stacy Peralta

"Man on Wire", directed by James Marsh

"Pray the Devil Back to Hell", directed by Gini Reticker

"Standard Operating Procedure", directed by Errol Morris

"They Killed Sister Dorothy", directed by Daniel Junge

"Trouble the Water", directed by Carl Deal and Tia Lessin

None of the 4 highest grossing docs of the year (Religulous, Expelled, Shine a Light, Young@Heart) made the list. Two I like a lot didn't make it either (Up the Yangtze, Stranded). My favorite didn't even get released (Calle Santa Fe). I'd be very happy if the one listed at the top and the one listed at the bottom of this alphabetical list end up among the five nominees.

Chris Knipp
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I've seen Encounters, Man on Wire, S.O.P., and Trouble the Water. I've just seen The Betrayal and Pray the Devil Back to Hell and I will post reviews of these two now. I agree Stranded is excellent, but perhaps this time there was a bias toward English narration. There may be others I'd also favor besides these; I'll have to think. There have been many interesting documentaries.