PDA

View Full Version : David Gordon Green: Pineapple Express (2008)

Chris Knipp
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
David Gordon Green: Pineapple Express (2008)

Not just another stoner movie. Just another stoner movie

Review by Chris Knipp

You could say this is not just another stoner movie but lately none of them are. Greg Araki's recent Smiley Face had a fresh indie angle with its keen observations from a girl stoner's point of view. The new Harold and Kumar went political and ever more limits-pushing-ly gross. Well, for Pineapple Express, the Apatow group has hired regional indie director David Gordon Green, raring to try new genres. They've taken stoner action not to Guantanamo but rival criminal gangs, high above local pot dealer and customer--the story's starting point--into mayhem and violence.

But starting point is ending point and the violence seems incongruous. It's still not clear anything matters but dealer and customer. Pineapple is first and foremost a good-natured buddy picture, with those two the bud-buds. If the action reflects how a high might go terribly wrong, the guys seem to show good and bad, laid-back and uptight, responses to a cannabis high, both leading well away from material success, yet confirming friendship. To the two Freaks and Geeks alumni, Seth Rogen and James Franco (Rogen was a leading Geek and Franco was the number one Freak), is added amiable southerner Danny R. McBride, who started out as an actor in Green's All the Real Girls but transitioned to Apatow-world via the down-market school comedy, Drillbit Taylor. The proceedings are enriched by Green's knack for developing character in depth and lingering on good offbeat dialog. As always in the Apatow productions, best buddies are front and center, but after trying musical satire in Walk Hard last year, Apatow has turned things--paradoxically for stoners, who tend to sit around and then sit around some more--toward violent (if bumbling and offbeat) action.

The climax is a shootout in a gang's ganja factory. Seeking revenge, a malevolent team of ninja-clad Asians battles it out with the boys and local drug lord Ted Jones's mob with automatic weapons. Prior to that, more homely weaponry has been adopted, including vacuum cleaners and coffee pots. The mêlée causes the torching of masses of primo bud plants--a moment that should bring tears to any cannabis fancier's eyes--and wipes out the set in a very pretty explosion. But the dénouement mellows out again with breakfast at a diner where the three main guys declare undying friendship.

Freaks and Geeks, which was about high school misfits, died after a season; so did the Apatow first-year college TV series, Undeclared. At that time, asked how his series on the next stage of life might be entitled, Apatow suggested: "Unemployed?" Dale Denton (Rogen) is a process-server--not much of a job. He has one foot in high school; his girlfriend is still a student. When he goes there and sees her male friends, they're incredibly handsome, muscular guys who're funny and he feels like a loser. He wears a shlubby suit, but changes into costumes to sneak up on the people he subpoenas. Dale is a pothead, and so he has a close relationship with his current dealer, Saul Silver (James Franco)--a classic X-ed-out-eyed, smiley-faced, hippie-clad, greasy charmer whose greetings are "Peace out," and "One world," and who is his own best customer.

Nothing quite equals Rogen and Franco's ad-libbing almost Tarantino-esque conversation in their first on-screen meeting, before the troubles start, at Saul's ornately shabby apartment, whose "security" consists of a buzzer and voice speaker such as flats all had in the Thirties. This is when Saul introduces Dale to the new strain of weed called Pineapple Express. The name refers to some kind of Hawaiian tropical storm that allegedly blends plant and dirt in some magical way producing super-bud. It's a new item on the menu, and Dale is the first to get it. So when process-serving duties lead him to witness a gang wipe-out of what turns out to be an Asian rival at the house of Saul's distributor Ted Jones (TV vet Gary Cole) and he flees in terror leaving a Pineapple Express roach on the ground and trashing two cars with his rent-a-heap, he's drawn attention to himself and left a lethal calling card.

Franco's blissed-out charm as Saul, an understated blend of goofy and sexy, is a triumph. His droll performance, never failing to serve the action and the other cast members, anchors events and is the best thing in the movie. He and Rogen play off each other nicely, and for five golden minutes or so in their first scene together, the action is blissful and spells out in miniature all that is wonderful and all that is useless about stoner buddy-hood. Not long after, in contrasting Dale's nervousness with Saul's laid-back-ness, Rogen begins to ramp things up more than necessary, and the whole stoner vibe gets submerged in insane panic.

Don't ask me why after he sees the killing Dale has to rush back to Saul; stoner logic maybe. Buddy picture logic certainly. From then on they're on the lam together, with on-and-off meetings with Red (Danny R. McBride), Saul's middle man with whom the two fugitives, buddies now, develop a love-hate relationship that winds up ultimately in love.

What's wrong with all this, obviously, is that gunfights aren't actually very funny, though the filmmakers soften the intensity by having Red appear invulnerable. He gets shot twice in the torso and some time later is still sitting up, bloody but unbowed, at the breakfast table. That helps convey a sense that stuff isn't too serious. But those flying ninjas, even if funny, are from a different picture. Ted Jones's conspiratorial bond with a crooked lady cop (Rosie Perez) is strange and unappetizing. But on the other hand, if anybody can handle all this, it may be David Gordon Green. Still, as stoner movies go, this is a mixed success. Only the buddy moments and Franco's wacked-out charisma make it worthwhile. But Saul is a keeper. Primo.

oscar jubis
08-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I was thoroughly engaged, even fascinated at times, by the central theme: the possibility that what is basically a business relationship can become true friendship. Or, some might prefer, whether "bud buddies" can be best friends. The filmmakers have decided to explore this theme within the context of a comedy/action hybrid. So far, so good. The miscalculation was to make the action scenes not only explicitly violent, but often gory, and occasionally cruel. Pineapple Express would be a better film if the violence was more cartoony and stylized. At the very least, the mise-en-scene should de-emphasize the bloody mayhem rather than revel in it.

Chris Knipp
08-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I would agree. As a recovering pothead, though, I'd have to say that the fellowship of the bud lasts only so long as the substance is on hand and the dealer-buyer connection isn't really much of a "business relationship." But I guess we agree that its dubious whether this movie's situation is material for comedy. Compare Harold and Kumar II, which keeps things wacky with greater success.

oscar jubis
08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
My opinion is not that it's "dubious whether this movie's situation is material for comedy". My point is that the action scenes should be less explicit and avoid gore and cruelty so that they don't clash incongruently with the rest of the material. In other words, the mise-en-scene should "de-emphasize the bloody mayhem". It often does the exact opposite.

Some examples: Notice how much laughter the scene in Angie's kitchen gets. Saul gets forked in the back but there are no close ups of the event and no blood-spurting. Towards the conclusion, an extreme close-up of Dale's severed ear runs counter to the potentially laugh-inducing lines the script gives him. A close view of the foot of "the black guy" bleeding profusely and missing a few toes during a shootout is totally gratuitous. Perhaps the best example I can provide is the scene that propels the plot. Dale witnesses a murder. All the visual information the story requires is the point-of-view shot from Dale's sitting position inside his car, which is parked across the street from the crime scene. Why then does Mr. Green, assuming that the director is responsible for a film's succession of views, decides we need two sustained shots in which the violent event is made much more explicit via closer views of it?

Chris Knipp
08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, in general you are right; they needed to downplay the gore. Of course Tropic Thunder has even worse gore and people find it funny. I personally like the Apatow comedies without the action. Besides which, stoners getting into a gang war is too far-fetched. It violates the stoner image.

I suppose the answer to your remarks is that they were striving for gross-out comedy. But to me the only really funny moments involve conversation between the three buddies (who become officially that by the end), Dale, Red, and Saul.

We can discuss endlessly what is or isn't funny but a lot of different stuff can be made funny. However if you asked me offhand if getting stabbed with a fork was funny I would say no.

oscar jubis
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
We basically agree on this film, Chris. Getting stabbed with a fork is not funny. But watching this scene was funny to me and a lot of people in my audience because: the perpetrator was innocent Angie who doesn't mean to hurt anybody, we don't get a frontal view of the incident; and there'll be no permanent damage to Saul as a consequence of a fork to the upper back. Actually what's funny about the scene is that Angie confuses the mellow Saul with one of the gangsters and that it's a bit surprising that this sweet young girl acts in such a proactive, fearless manner when a stranger turns up in her kitchen.
I agree that the really funny moments involve banter between Dale, Saul and Red. But the film wouldn't work without the premise that puts them in mortal danger. The hilarious night Saul and Dale spend in the woods can only happen because they're being pursued by really bad guys.
Two excellent comedies that include action and violence come to mind, both starring Kathleen Turner: The War of the Roses and Serial Mom. There are other good ones, I'm sure.

**Did you know you were quoted on Gene Siskel Film Center's website (http://www.artic.edu/webspaces/siskelfilmcenter/2008/august/6.html)?

Chris Knipp
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Shaun of the Dead and Hott Fuzz have been mentioned as well as Grindhouse (the double feature). Hollywood Homicide--but I'm the only one who liked it. There really would be tons of examples. And for sure, danger is a part of comedy (danger of being found out=farce), but a line into brutality can't be crossed or it spoils the humor. We laugh at a man slipping on a banana peel. But if he hits his head on a rock and dies, it's not unless you're a sadist. Most consider Comedy and Violence separate genre categories and Pineapple Express' (attempted) combination of humor and action peculiar.

I found War of the Roses mean and didn't really like it after a while you got tired of it. Danny is good though. Serial Mom is John Waters--master of combining humorous and transgressive. Not many can do it. It helps to know the source--that John Waters is a fundamentally weird but sweet guy.

Early animated cartoons (Tom and Jerry et al.) were very violent, but it obviously wasn't real. The problem arises with the realism of modern color, sound, and special effects. Ben Stiller however seeks to undercut that (with some success I guess.....) in Tropic Thunder by making the guts and blood look fake--and in the early part they are fake. But is Steve Coogan's severed head meant to look fake? No, but Stiller's toying with the gloppy gore is lightened by his character's thinking it's fake. Ultimately as adults no matter how we may deplore reveling in violence in film (whiile reveling in it ), we can do so because we know it's not real. The ultimate unfunny film violence: real violence: a snuff film.

Thanks for the note on where I'm quoted--of course they're quoting me out of context about a movie I didn't like at all! Typical of how critics are used to puff bad movies. I like what I said about Emmanuelle Devos though. It's true!

oscar jubis
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Probably will end up watching Tropic Thunder but I won't feel bad if I miss it. On the other hand, tonight is the last show of Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg and I don't have a car to drive to SoBe. There's a tropical storm dumping a shitload of water out there anyway, so I'll just stay home and watch the Olympics and an old Luc Moullet documentary on dvd.

Chris Knipp
08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
It's really a question of how much you want to have your finger on the pulse of teenage male America. An article in Sunday's NYTimes, David Itzkoff's "The Refined Art of Tastelessness" explores the motivations behind comedy's increasing grossness and I was thinking I ought to have mentioned, these comedies, including Tropic Thunder, as Itzkoff says, are for teenage boys or men who still think like them. Actually, my interest in teenage male taste is not exhaustive. But I am interested in anything that relates to Judd Apatow and the aggregation he started to put together with the making of "Freaks and Geeks."

We've heard about the hurricane in Florida. Stay safe.

The Olympics are big for me this year. Most of all, because Michael Phelps--he went to my high school. We're all so thrilled by his achievement. But the Olympics have been amazing otherwise too from the opening ceremonies directed by Zhang Yimou on. I'm excited to see the men's marathon.

David Itzkoff, "The Refined Art of Tastelessness:" http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/movies/17itzkoff.html

oscar jubis
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
We have our share of local heroes (actually mostly heroines) but Phelps is a superstar, and well-deserved. I became a big fan of the 39 year-old Romanian woman who won the marathon. The Jamaican Bolt, the world's fastest man, is also an amazing athlete. Zhang Yimou is a great artist. We may not live long enough to witness another event as majestic and beautiful as the opening ceremonies.

I have my home sample of teenage male America and he thinks Tropic Thunder is too silly. He's seen The Dark Knight five times and says we're lucky at FilmLeaf to have Johann to restore some sense to that film's thread.

Chris Knipp
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Johann speaks for the teenage male, but in an adult voice. I didn't know you had a resident teenage male. I only thought you had the female kind. Itzkoff: "for teenage boys or men who still think like them."

The opening ceremonies are coming out on a e-disc DVD album so we can watch them many times more in our lifetimes. But frankly that kind of stuff has it's Hitler/Mussolini side, which is creepy to me.

Wait a minute "our share of local heroes" isn't the same as having the biggest medal winner of the Olympics from your high school--don't try to compete! Because you can't match that, ever! So there!

Johann
08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm seeing Dark Knight again today on IMAX and Herzog's latest tomorrow- and the Bytowne manager is going to give me the poster. She's awesome.

I can dance from serious to silly in a heartbeat.
I think it's a virtue.
If anybody's on facebook here, let me know.
I'll add you as a friend.
I just got a message from Jonathan Rosenbaum on there.
I wrote to him professing my admiration and how I know Peter, who knows Nathan Lee, who knows him.
He said:

For what it's worth, I've never even met Nathan Lee. But I'm glad you like my stuff.

Chris Knipp
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I can dance from serious to silly in a heartbeat.
I think it's a virtue.Absolutely true. And good for you.
I just got a message from Jonathan Rosenbaum on there. Nice. . Peter wanted me to meet Nathan Lee. I like his stuff. I sympathize with his situation. It's not much of a living, being a non-NYTimes film critic in NYC. In that respect things have not changed hugely from fifty years ago. A few people have good gigs as critics, and they sit on them for their whole working life.* The rest need not apply. This is why online writing is such a great new opportunity.

*There are more reviewers on the NYTimes now though. Three regular reviewers, and three or four who write short secondary reviews, plus Dave Kehr on DVDs, plus assorted Voice or other stringers who do special pieces.

oscar jubis
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Chris, you're right about Phelps.
Johann, I'm not on facebook (or other similar sites) but if you got a response from Rosenbaum then perhaps I should be. I can't even get responses to my e-mails from my professors during the summer. They'll hear from me come Monday.

Johann
08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Facebook is quite wild. It's caught on like wildfire.
Everybody and their grandma is on there.
Godard even has his own page (among many fan pages).
Chris has a page.
It's mindless internet time wasting stuff.

Should I see Pineapple Express?