PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Levine: The Wackness (2008)

Chris Knipp
07-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Jonathan Levine: The Wackness (2008)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/AwR3sz.jpg
BEN KINGSLEY AND JOSH PECK IN THE WACKNESS

A dopey Jewish boy pseudo gangsta with a nerdy sweet smile

The considerable success of The Wackness is nonetheless fragile. If you can hear that phrase right--the wackness, the movie will probably work for you. That's enough: the wackness. It almost feels like writing about it will crush it. Things don't seem to fly at first. Here we are. Okay, there's this high-school graduate called Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck). He lives on the Upper East Side of NYC but his father's had an economic disaster and they're threatened with banishment to New Jersey. The older generation's approaching meltdown and the youngsters are about to move on.

Much about The Wackness sounds routine. The coming-of-age story, the nerdy kid who wins over the cute girl, the constantly feuding parents, the offbeat shrink sessions, the nostalgia for a period recently gone. Why does it work? The simple answer: Josh Peck, who plays the young man, Luke Shapiro. Peck, who's tall and a bit chubby (he was a flat-out fat boy in Mean Creek and the TV kid comedy series "Drake & Josh"), wonderfully steers along on the edge between nerdy and cool and the result is irresistibly charming. However self-conscious Luke's lines may be at times, Peck's timing and delivery turn them into gold. Luke's relationship with the messed-up shrink Dr. Squires (Ben Kingsley), who trades him therapy for good bud, is endearing too, but Squires is close enough to being a real mess so it's not too cute.

It's the summer of 1994 in hiphop graffiti New York just at the moment when Mayor Giuliani came to wipe out "quality of life crimes" and drain the sleaze and the color out of Times Square. Probably the writer-director (Jonathan Levine) was this age then. Words like "dope" and "wack" and "yo" and "what up" fly through the air with abandon. The movie pushes the same slang words too hard, and mentions Giuliani more than it needs to. And what's with "mad"? Did they really say that? "You're mad out of my league." "I got mad love for you shorty. I want to listen to Boyz2men when I'm with you," says Luke to Stephanie (Olivia Thrilby). (They trade mix tapes.) It's a heat wave, so he says "It's mad hot." The dialog is mad free with "mad." Accurate or not, the New York-Nineties references are a bit more constant and self-conscious than they need to be.

At first some of the more prominently noticeable visual business also seems over-the-top: a teenager selling masses of weed out of a decrepit ice cream cart and trading it for therapy; the shrink's giant glass bong which he lights up in his office during a session.

But, whatever, as the blasé Stephanie would say. It still works, because the main characters are endearing and their dilemmas are true to life.

The thing is, Luke needs to get laid. Squires offers a hooker, not pills, for this issue. The doctor himself takes a kaleidoscope of antidepressants to cope with being a fuckup and having a sexy young wife (Famke Janssen) on the verge of leaving him. The solution of Luke's problem turns out to be convoluted because Stephanie, who accepts to hang out with him and then teaches him to make love, is Squires' own step-daughter. That's tricky for Squires. He has problems of his own. He has one big one: he's afraid life is passing him by. No obvious role model though a pal to Luke, he's such a mess he lusts after teenage girls himself, and smooches with Mary-Kate Olsen in a phone booth. This, by the way, was the day when drug dealers still used pagers and pay phones. And even if the Giuliani theme is pushed as are the "what up's," nonetheless Squires' dishevelment and Luke's selling drugs out of a cart are logical figments of the fading pre-Giuliani New York, and that fading sleaze is like the fading of Luke's virginity as his "nasty thoughts," which he says he enjoys, yield to real experiences of sex and to the pain of falling in love when it's not returned.

By now it may be redundant to say it, but Josh Peck makes Luke's mixture of vulnerability and bravado, very real. The plot turns out to be not so much clichéd as simple and true. When Luke's heart gets broken, it really hurts to watch it. Though the drug distributors Luke gets his marijuana from--and he sells many large bricks of it that summer in hopes of saving his parents' apartment--are conventionally high-powered guys with machine-guns and Jamaican accents, ninety percent of the time Levine keeps his story low-keyed and doesn't strain for effects. And he doesn't need those, because Josh Peck's and Ben Kingsley's line readings sing out enough to make any movie memorable.

As one blogger puts it, Luke's "kind of dopey pseudo-gangsta, but nerdishly sweet smile managed to convey both the character's pretense and genuine good nature." All the English Peck puts on his lines reflects his character's efforts to strike a pose, but the "nerdishly sweet smile" instantly undercuts the poses and makes them endearing. He's functional enough. Stephanie has taken some small interest in him, enough to want to hang out despite her having been "mad out of my league" in high school. And he must have got dealing dope down if he can make $26,000 in some heavy weeks of the summer. But he's in need of an attitude adjustment. This is how Stephanie puts it: "I see the dopeness; you only see the wackness." He's been faking it and now he needs to make it. He needs to love life. And suffer pain. And she gives him both opportunities. This is pretty well how the world is for a young dude. When it hurts to watch Luke suffer, it hurts in a good way.

P.s. Jane Adams is mad fly as Elanor, an ex-musician pothead. Her ingenious excuses for constantly scoring weed are as good as anything in David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.

Chris Knipp
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I am giving this a 9/10. It ranks very high for me among the year's American narrative features so far. The ones that cost under a hundred million dollars to make. A tiny category this time of year I admit. I have seen a lot more other kinds of things. But this leaves a good memory.

Chris Knipp
07-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Domestic Total as of Jul. 17, 2008: $592,109.

Wow, yippee, gawp!

Widest Release: 31 theaters

Amazing!!!!!!!

oscar jubis
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
The Wackness (2008)

Nostalgic trip to NYC '94 benefits immensely from performances by Josh Peck and Ben Kinsley and the authenticity of the lingo and the song selection. Aspects of the odd-couple and coming-of-age genres predominate as virgin, drug-dealing, just-out-of-high-school Luke and his client, an immature, unhappily-married psychiatrist, bond during the hot summer months.

The narrative is peppered with hyperbolic details indicative of someone too eager to make an impression: you could smoke a joint or buy a dime-bag of marijuana in Washington Square in pre_Giuliani Manhattan and get away with it. As for selling bricks of the wacky weed off a cart, well, that's another story. No big deal though. What truly mars the picture is that writer/director Jonathan Levine either has nothing to say about women or what he has to say, mostly in the characterization of the doctor's stepdaughter and Luke's love interest, is caustically condescending and deprecating.

*The Wackness won the Audience Award at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. Levine's directing debut, a teen horror flick titled All the Boys love Mandy Lane, has been in and out of release schedules for months. The available reviews are not very encouraging.

Chris Knipp
07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
You are missing most of the movie's charms. Too bad, since you seem to be the only one whos seen it besides me. I can't argue with your throwing adjuectives at the treatment of the girl; anybody can thorw ajectives. Funny you call it condescending, since it's she who's the condescending character, rather lofty but in a way that would seduce any young man no doubt. Were you 18 once, Oscar?

You can buy drugs in Washington Square now, post-Giuliani. But the cart and the huge bong are obviously not "realistic" but fanciful.

Tha audience applauded The Wackness when I saw it in San Francisco even though it was a daytime audience and not a festival or anything. Maybe it doesn't play well in Miami?

It's not only the writing but the performances that carry it all off of course. Especially Josh Peck who blooms in this.

oscar jubis
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know you nearly well enough to understand the source of the hostility in the second half of your first paragraph. So I won't try.
I also don't understand the comment about the audience in Miami since I make no reference about the audience at my screening. I obviously don't claim to be speaking for anyone other than myself. My opinion is never meant to reflect audience taste or critical consensus of any type.

Chris Knipp
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I obviously don't claim to be speaking for anyone other than myself. My opinion is never meant to reflect audience taste or critical consensus of any type. My point was just that the audience here seemed to love the movie, and since you didn't maybe also your fellow Miamians didn't either. Reactions do differ by region and The Wackness is almost excessively regional and nostalgic for a recent but past time. Obviously you are serious about your viewing and writing and aren't trying to express the taste of the local audience. You were taking me too literally--likewise in presuming me to be hostile when I was merely chiding you for not sympathizing with the experiences of a not so atypical 18-year-old.

I didn't get your point about selling drugs in Washington Square. It's quite common to be approached by drug dealers there.. Hence I don't think this is a "hyperbolic detail" especially since things were sleazier and less policed in those days as you know.

I don't see that the girl is treated in a condescending way at all. I insist, shs is the lofty and condescending one. It's a boy's point of view, though. The Chicago Reader reviewer mr. Jones expresses the same view as you about the treatment of the girl. I do not know if other reviewers do. I think most viewers agree Stephanie is using Luke only because it's summer and she's bored. Your put-down of the part undercuts the excellent performance of Olivia Thrilby, who is an up and coming actress and ought to be congratulated for her spot-on portrayal here. However though you are condescending toward the film I realize you make some attempt to give it its due by your lights in your opening remarks--but youu still seem to have missed the abundant charms that others ahve commented upon. I really didn't want to like it. The shrink character seemed repulsive and ovderdrawn. But it crept up on me--Luke is just so funny and appealing and his naivete and heartbreak are so easy to grasp, for me anyway. Eventually I began to accept Kingsley's role and see how he could be a part of Luke's growing up--a grownup who isn't grownup.

oscar jubis
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
My point was just that the audience here seemed to love the movie, and since you didn't maybe also your fellow Miamians didn't either.
I didn't have any conversations with anyone in the audience but they seemed to enjoy it. I did too, up to a point and with reservations.

Reactions do differ by region and The Wackness is almost excessively regional and nostalgic for a recent but past time.
It's hard to generalize about an audience from this region. It's well-known that there are more transplanted New Yorkers here than anywhere else. And plenty of folks who've moved here from other large northeastern cities. (Midwesterners prefer the more sedate West Coast of Florida). The audience seemed younger than the one you get for foreign-language films. The run here lasted only one week, which might indicate a number of things. I don't know if this is helpful at all.

I don't see that the girl is treated in a condescending way at all. I insist, shs is the lofty and condescending one. It's a boy's point of view, though. The Chicago Reader reviewer mr. Jones expresses the same view as you about the treatment of the girl. I do not know if other reviewers do.
All I can do is attempt to translate my experience of watching the film and my thinking about the film into prose so that the reader can, albeit temporarily, consider my point of view. I value films in which characters are granted their humanity. By that I mean that both what the character has in common with other human beings and what makes the character separate from others is given expression. It's perhaps not possible to lavish these gifts on every character in a film. For lack of a better word, let's call it "full acknowledgement", something Mr. Levine only grants to Luke and Squires. I can almost forgive the barely sketched, unfavorable portrayals of Luke's parents and Squires' wife. But Stephanie is a character who receives significant screen time and attention, yet is never allowed to emerge as her own person; she's never acknowledged as a complete human being; she's consistently portrayed only as far as her effect on the two main male characters.

I have not been reading much criticism of current releases since May. And I doubt I'll be reading any, once the fall semester starts on the 27th (I'll be taking a full load of graduate courses; more about that later in the film school thread). I have for the purposes of this discussion read Mr. Jones' review. I found his comparison between Levine's film and The Graduate very interesting. As you might expect, I found his characterization of the way Levine introduces Stepanie quite congruent with my concerns about Levine's attitude towards his female characters, most notably Stephanie. I didn't read many other reviews but this quote by the Austin Chronicle's Kimberley Jones: "The women serve merely as the starter fluid for the men's spectacular flameouts and phoenixlike risings" resonates with me.

Chris Knipp
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
THE WACKNESS is running here in the Bay Area more than a week, and in several theaters. Most things like that are shown in San Francisco and also in the East Bay, primaraily Berkeley, also perhaps San Rafael. As you can see if you look on their website, there are a ton of Landmark Theaters here just in SF and Berkeley/Albany. And also one or two down on the Peninsula.

There are a lot of New York people and East Coast transplants in California and especially in Northern California and particularly in Berkeley.

We don't agree on the character of Stephanie. I'd like to watch the movie again to examine that point. I'm pretty sure though that I'd still think she's a strong character and not dealt with in a limiting manner. We see her from the point of view of Luke--a limited point of view by which she is hot and desirable (but not much understood) and then cruel and a heartbreaker. What "emerge as a person" means is not something with any obvious definition, but if you consider that she is seen only from Luke's point of view and not through any of the rest of her life, maybe you'll see why she seems limited, but it's not condescending. HE is limited. He's a teenage boy, with only a few focuses in life.

That the women are just "starter fluid" is, again, an indication that the men are treated ironically too. The portrayals are both sweet and dry.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the comparison with THE GRADUATE was a bit strained and pedantic. There have been so many comning of age movies and personally, despite the big effect of THE GRADUATE, it never seemed like Shakespeare to me. It is also extremely superficial. But it's a satire too, with sweetness. The two movies have that in common, but THE GREADUATE lacks any clear sense of place.