PDA

View Full Version : David Gordon Green: Snow Angels (2008)

Chris Knipp
03-30-2008, 11:53 PM
DAVID GORDON GREEN: SNOW ANGELS (2008)

An excess of freedom

Review by Chris Knipp

This is the story (adapted from a novel by Stewart O'Nan) of the accidental death of a little girl and the killing of her mother, events that touch the lives of a group of people, notably a young man in high school. The mother used to babysit for him and he had a crush on her. Each of Gordon Green's previous films--George Washington, All the Real Girls, and Undertow--are marked by originality of texture, a keen sense of place, a way of creeping up on people sideways. All that happens here too--but as before things don't always work, and Green can make an hour seem like an awfully long time.

Annie, the mother (the beautiful and excellent Kate Beckinsale), works in a Chinese restaurant with her pal Barb (Amy Sedaris) and the high schooler Arthur (Michael Angarano), who still eyes her. Annie's sleeping with Barb's comically self-absorbed husband Nate (Nicky Katt). The big wild card in this constantly reshuffling deck is Annie's estranged husband, Glenn (Sam Rockwell).

Now, it's obvious that Rockwell excels at playing madcap characters. He's great as Chuck Barris in Clooney's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and more than game as Zaphod Beeblebrox in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But he's not right for Glenn. He tries to make Glenn into an amiable clown. Only Glenn, a desperate man who's stalking his wife, just isn't a character who really can be or should be made to seem funny. Though he's bumbling and eager with his parents, and just strangely out of tune with his little girl on an outing, he's quickly to emerge as far worse than that--tiresome, out of control, desperate, and dangerous to himself and others with tragic consequences. After surviving a bizarre suicide attempt Glenn has become his own lunatic version of a born-again Christian. Instead of being scared straight he's been scared wacko. Does Glenn have a personality? At one point he declares to himself that he's nobody. He's not a Sam Rockwell person. He's more a John C. Reilly or a William H. Macy character.

Meanwhile a lot of other things are going on in this snow-covered Pennsylvania town (extra snow because this was shot in Canada). Glenn is living at his parents, so we see them. He's got a job at a warehouse rug store run by his born-again mentor Rafe (Daniel Lillford). Arthur's parents are breaking up--though in the movie, they seem reconciled at the end--perhaps to add a warm note in this largely depressing film. Arthur is falling in love with a new girl at school, Lila (Olivia Thirlby). In most scenes couples are cheating or fighting, except for the teenagers. To anchor the movie, it keeps coming back to a football field where a marching band (Arthur plays a big horn) is practicing when fatal shots are heard in the distance.

We may feel as if we've been left wandering around in that snow-covered field. The scenes are rich in detailed observation but the characters are handled randomly in a meandering sequence that keeps us from getting involved with them--though we'd just as soon simply avoid having to watch the embarrassing, incomprehensible, and finally despicable Glenn. This non-involvement is how the hour gets to seem so long, and why critics haven't been much impressed by Snow Angels--which Warner Brothers is allowing to die, or maybe just freeze over. And this is a shame, as all Green's failures are a shame (his debut George Washington was hailed as a masterpiece, but that promise seems illusory). This movie is a bummer, and its climax is very unpleasant to watch.

Yet there are redeeming features. Amy Sedaris is a natural; Niky Katt is droll. As Arthur's father and mother, Griffin Dunne and Jeanetta Arnette are fine. So are the stark winter images shot by Green's regular cinematographer, Tim Orr. Above all the one altogether happy sequence, the romance between Arthur and Lila, sneaks up on you, and sings. Lila is bespectacled and toothy, nerdy like Arthur, but she's cute underneath--as Arthur is adorable. Neither of them is really a nerd, nor are they victims of the usual movie-high-school pecking orders. They go from talking shyly to kissing to sex by a slow and natural progression. With a few deft touches, this teenage romance is sketched in as delicately and truly as any such thing on film.

Lila takes lovely black and white photographs with a twin-lens reflex camera. Arthur narrates the film and is its underlying sensibility--though that seems wrong. He and the other ordinary people seem to belong to another film, one without tragedy and violence. The film is best at little moments that have nothing to do with tragedy--the earnestness of the band director (Tom Noonan); the camaraderie of Annie and Barb; Nate's cheating even on the woman he's cheating on his wife with; the way another boy (Connor Paolo) relates to Arthur and they smoke dope behind the bushes when they're supposed to be searching for a lost child. David Gordon Green might do better with more constraints.

oscar jubis
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
My policy of not reading reviews before watching a movie payed off this time. Spoilers are generally found in the middle of reviews but in your Snow Angels one the major spoilers are in the opening sentence.

*This is David Gordon Green's fourth film and by far his least personal work. Not only is Snow Angels his first film not set in the American South but the first one based on a novel. Green was actually hired to adapt O'Nan's novel then agreed to helm it only after the director bailed out. Among Green's talents is the ability to write dialogue that doesn't seem like it was ever written down. There's some of that here, mostly out of the mouths of Mr. Rockwell and Mr. Angarano. And evidence of Green's famous small-town sensibility. But certainly not enough for me to realize Green was the director if I didn't know it beforehand. The guy knows what he's doing; he's got top-tier skills amd consequeently Snow Angels couldn't be anything less than a good, mainstream small-town tragedy with two connecting narrative strands that depict the relationships of couples from three different generations. It's not very original and it's not a great film but it's probably as good an American film as any currently in theaters.

Green is busy right now showing off his versatility and that's alright. He has completed a Judd Apatow project, a "stoner comedy" called Pineapple Express starring Seth Rogen. I bet it's gonna be damn good as far as stoner comedies go. But true Green fans won't be happy until he delivers another George Washington or All the Real Girls.

Chris Knipp
04-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry about the "spoilers." I do try to avoid them as you know but didn't this time because other writers already had repeatedly said how Snow Angels ends and because the film itself reveals its direction very early. And despite my deference to current movie discussion practice, I still continue to object to the naive idea that what conveys value on a work is its plot's containing surprises. For a discussion, typically literary in focus (because literary people understand this better), about this issue, take a look at what Laura Carroll has to say in The Valve (http://www.thevalve.org/go/valve/article/cruel_spoiler_that_embosomd_foe). Carroll writes "Then, the underlying assumption [of the necessity of "spoiler warnings"] doesn’t imply much respect for anything that a fiction might offer you except abrupt and sensational narrative developments, or much confidence in the long-term durability of a story (i.e. its ability to withstand and reward repeated engagements.) A well-constructed story will stand up to decades of use and abuse, won’t it? " It seems a bit contradictory, I'd add here, to worry about spoilers when you make a frequently declared point of watching films you like multiple times.

I agree with most of what you say about Snow Angels and particularly Green's ability to write natural-sounding dialogue. (I wish you had responded to something I wrote in my detailed review other than my first sentence.) Probably not just this one, but each successive movie Green has directed, has been less "personal" and sui generis, and lately, more "mainstream." This is not a new tack, and Undertow (speaking of tacks) was notable for a new reliance on more conventionally clearcut plot lines.

You're stretching when you describe this process as Green's "showing off his versatility." A purist and a less loyal fan might call it "selling out." I'm not saying that. I'm not a purist and I'm not a loyal fan--just a sympathetic but skeptical follower of the director's originality and somewhat unpredictable trajectory.

Speaking of originality, you might not be able to spot Snow Angels as Green's if not told ahead of time, but nonetheless his mark is evident throughout. Maybe Green is going the way of Van Sant, whose Paranoid Park is one American film "currently in theaters" that's better than Snow Angels, for sure--which would mean after slumming and prostituting himself with "damn good" stoner comedies and such, Green will come back to being more completely and successfully independent and himself. Joining the Apatow crew is not really a very positive sign. Whether "true Green fans" will ever be happy again remains to be seen. I will continue to follow and observe.